• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
So....

Ummm....

Who wants to help start a left-wing militia movement?

220px-thumbnail.jpg
Is this Steve? Hey Steve, you missed the last meeting. Was there something going on at the Bureau you couldn't miss?

We had them put the toppings on the pizza in the shape of "FBI" for you again. You'd never believe what David said, I was all like "man, Steve would have got a kick out of that." On the upside you missed Eric telling everyone about the lore of Overwatch again, it's like come on, it's a FPS breh not Tolstoy.

Is this Steve? Hey Steve, you missed the last meeting. Was there something going on at the Bureau you couldn't miss?

We had them put the toppings on the pizza in the shape of "FBI" for you again. You'd never believe what David said, I was all like "man, Steve would have got a kick out of that." On the upside you missed Eric telling everyone about the lore of Overwatch again, it's like come on, it's a FPS breh not Tolstoy.

Lol, oh Benji, I think I fall a little bit harder for you each day.

But, I mean, like a real one with guns and beer and a poorly constructed and maintained forested obstacle course.

benjipwns

Banned
But, I mean, like a real one with guns and beer and a poorly constructed and maintained forested obstacle course.
Plan 51-Tango! In the event of a hostile takeover of the gun club, resulting in a Dale-threatening situation, I flee to Costa Rica. Why do we even have the drills if you're not gonna pay attention?

Mad Dog's running for president. He's already got the black vote -- Earl -- and the gay vote -- Earl.

Sadsic

Plan 51-Tango! In the event of a hostile takeover of the gun club, resulting in a Dale-threatening situation, I flee to Costa Rica. Why do we even have the drills if you're not gonna pay attention?

Mad Dog's running for president. He's already got the black vote -- Earl -- and the gay vote -- Earl.

the first 7 seasons of king of the hill are magical

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No need to "boycott" it when you can condemn it the same way you would condemn this kind of garbage:

That stuff was condemned by the left, even though that was a just a ribbon cutting ceremony at the metropolitan museum in the first picture, and a US-Africa summit in the second where he met and took pictures with many leaders those days. That's not him praising and individually inviting him to the white house.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/08/african-autocrats-leaders-summit-human-rights

How diplomatic we should be with brutal dictators that serve american economic interests is a long standing debate within the left, but it's hard to see this as coldly calculated diplomacy, given that it's Trump we're talking about here. Trump probably just likes Duterte because he was so critical of Obama.

benjipwns

Banned
That stuff was condemned by the left, even though that was a just a ribbon cutting ceremony at the metropolitan museum in the first picture, and a US-Africa summit in the second where he met and took pictures with many leaders those days. That's not him praising and individually inviting him to the white house.
This is a strange reply, you seem to initially imply you agree with me that the posters better course of action is to condemn the U.S. government unnecessarily feting criminals (since you can't "boycott" it as non-action is the default state) but then go on to make an extended "even though" explanation that appears to suggest that in the case of one of the most despicable human beings on the planet it's "not as bad" as if there was some kind of ordered list being made rather than an example of a previous instance to condemn two criminals meeting.

pigeon

Banned
This is some pretty casual imperialist nonsense.

I dunno, man. As a Filipino-American, I'll say once again, there used to be an international agreement that massacring people was bad, and it was generally a good thing.

I am sad to think that people believe that if Duterte wants to go on murdering thousands of innocent Filipinos then hey, they're just Filipinos.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, man. As a Filipino-American, I'll say once again, there used to be an international agreement that massacring people was bad, and it was generally a good thing.

I am sad to think that people believe that if Duterte wants to go on murdering thousands of innocent Filipinos then hey, they're just Filipinos.
They are using bullets, so it's np. If he used a chemical weapon we might consider half heartedly lobbing some tomahawk missles in his direction.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reince this morning using North Korea as the reason for the Duterte White House invitation is just...I can't even.

Also,

Sam Stein‏Verified account @samsteinhp

gross
Q from @jonkarl: Is president eyeing constitutional amendment to change press laws? @Reince45: "It's something that we've looked at."

Literally attacking the first amendment. Would be amazing to see the mental gymnastics that would occur to somehow spare right-wing media's constant lying.

I really, really hope they push for this so they can take another huge L.

PBY

Banned
Damn, just caught up to this weeks Slate political gabfest. They fucking ROASTED obama for this speech, and made the point well.

Its not just the Bernie wing that is upset with this.

No need to "boycott" it when you can condemn it the same way you would condemn this kind of garbage:

You seem to think I'm the type who falls back when a hypocrisy pops up, or when someone wholly better does something just as disgusting.

Sorry bruh. We knew nothing would come out of Obama taking pictures of Mbasogo.

Get back to the now, Trump has praised Erodgan, praised Putin, wants to hang out with Duterte. Can't tell the difference? On you.

But if Trump picks up any of his tactics like he has proven that he wants to, and is able to apply it in anyway (through, I don't know, Jeff Sessions) the POCs that will suffer for it will definitely see the difference.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, so, the US arrests him. Now explain to me as best you can exactly what happens as a result of that action.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Literally attacking the first amendment. Would be amazing to see the mental gymnastics that would occur to somehow spare right-wing media's constant lying.

I really, really hope they push for this so they can take another huge L.

Impossible that they could pass it. It would be a terrible hill to die on that the vast majority of Americans including all but the most insane Republican elected officials would oppose.

Especially considering no one seemed too worried about this
This is a simpletons view of the world. Since Saudis have a horrible human rights record, they are suddenly comparable to Philippines' extrajudicial slaughtering of innocent people? Its like idiots screaming Gaddafi is bad but we have other baddies around the world. No. Gaddafi was massacring people. If Saudi goverent starts gunning down addicts, make the comparison.
Okay, so, the US arrests him. Now explain to me as best you can exactly what happens as a result of that action.
We involve ICJ? Thats seems to be a good start, no?

This doesn't make any sense. Why send out calls (to clearly solicit votes) if to have the votes?

he's lying obviously. but point is to scare moderates to line up so they're ass won't be showing when the bill inevitably passes (in pence's mind). basically, don't be on the wrong side of this, guys! don't want you out there looking bad! puhleaze. still, i'm calling my congresscritteer tomorrow. again. this dude has been sitting on the fence the entier process and had gall to send me a letter with demonstrable ACA lies.

I just saw the OKC bombing documentary on netflix. Really good doc. I had no idea rightwing extremism was a real thing in the 90s, and they had just as much of a fear effect as international terrorism today. They went out killing liberal radio hosts in cold blood. So what changed in the 00's? Did the FBI arrest/kill all of them or did they just stop klanning?

I think there's a lot of good reasons to be skeptical about this, including that the way we're hearing about it is a "red alert" from the Center for American Progress. Are any journalists reporting this? Never mind that it's a long way from "Pence making calls" to this actually passing the House, let alone the Senate.

Tall4Life

I have to think Trump is going to crack shortly in regards to his power, like he'll start implementing Duterte's version of the war on drugs or something

and all the trump supporters i know will cheer as those thugs will finally be purged from our great society

I have to think Trump is going to crack shortly in regards to his power, like he'll start implementing Duterte's version of the war on drugs or something

and all the trump supporters i know will cheer as those thugs will finally be purged from our great society

I dont see him cracking when his supporters like him as much as they did the day he got elected. Despite taking L after L after L, despite the FBI acknowledging that he's under investigation for treason, despite him flip flopping on core campaign promises, he hasnt lost any support.

And he see's his approval rating skyrocket just from reading from a teleprompter or firing some missiles that dont even accomplish anything.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dont see him cracking when his supporters like him as much as they did the day he got elected. Despite taking L after L after L, despite the FBI acknowledging that he's under investigation for treason, despite him flip flopping on core campaign promises, he hasnt lost any support.

And he see's his approval rating skyrocket just from reading from a teleprompter or firing some missiles that dont even accomplish anything.

He has lost support, just a disappointingly small amount. But he certainly has not gained any.

And his approval rating has literally never done anything worthy of being called "skyrocketing."

This is a simpletons view of the world. Since Saudis have a horrible human rights record, they are suddenly comparable to Philippines' extrajudicial slaughtering of innocent people? Its like idiots screaming Gaddafi is bad but we have other baddies around the world. No. Gaddafi was massacring people. If Saudi goverent starts gunning down addicts, make the comparison.

We involve ICJ? Thats seems to be a good start, no?
They're not gunning down addicts, but they are indiscriminately bombing civilians in Yemen (there's been about 10000 Yemeni civilian casualties) while creating a famine there, threatening 7 million people. A quick check shows that that's certainly in the ballpark of what Duterte has killed, unless it's different because it's his own people or something here.

It's also different because we sell the Saudis their weapons, provide them intelligence, and help with the blockade, which I'd say is even worse than doing nothing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
They're not gunning down addicts, but they are indiscriminately bombing civilians in Yemen (there's been about 10000 Yemeni civilian casualties) while creating a famine there, threatening 7 million people. A quick check shows that that's certainly in the ballpark of what Duterte has killed, unless it's different because it's his own people or something here.

I mean, we're splitting hairs on morality to some extent but yes, it is generally considered worse when a ruler is murdering his own people than when it's another country's people.

A lot of countries have been party to the murder of foreign civilians. It's been a standard part of war for centuries. That's just a nasty little fact of human civilization. But you don't see US presidents wantonly killing US citizens and getting away with it.

He has lost support, just a disappointingly small amount. But he certainly has not gained any.

And his approval rating has literally never done anything worthy of being called "skyrocketing."

Yeah, Skyrocketing is hyperbole, but they went up way more than they should have. He read from a teleprompter and the media was gushing about it, pisses me off thinking about it.

Yeah, Skyrocketing is hyperbole, but they went up way more than they should have. He read from a teleprompter and the media was gushing about it, pisses me off thinking about it.

His approval didn't really change at all after that one "good" speech he made. The next day more Russian stuff came out, and it balanced it out.

His approval has been pretty much consistently in the low 40s, upper 30s for months now, with it hitting low 30s around the Obamacare Repeal nonsense.

I just saw the OKC bombing documentary on netflix. Really good doc. I had no idea rightwing extremism was a real thing in the 90s, and they had just as much of a fear effect as international terrorism today. They went out killing liberal radio hosts in cold blood. So what changed in the 00's? Did the FBI arrest/kill all of them or did they just stop klanning?

I'm guessing 9/11 happened and the wars to follow it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The whole "OK = White Power" thing is funny, I had been seeing it done by Drake and basketball players, and people were saying it meant 666 / illuminaty stuff, lol.

nH35nHn.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Then the Philippines elects a similar leader given his popularity? And they go closer to China and US loses its largest ally in the South China Sea?

Basically. By the time you get a Duterte, who, again, is overwhelmingly popular amongst his countrymen, the problem happened a long time ago. Get rid if Duterte and you just get a new Duterte in his place, except now the new one has even less reason to listen to the United States, which probably means an even higher death toll. That didn't help anything; you just got to feel briefly morally superior at the cost of a lot more lives.

Kevinroc

His approval didn't really change at all after that one "good" speech he made. The next day more Russian stuff came out, and it balanced it out.

His approval has been pretty much consistently in the low 40s, upper 30s for months now, with it hitting low 30s around the Obamacare Repeal nonsense.

That they're still talking about "repeal and replace" is absolutely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom