• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
ghibli99 said:
One other observation from last night's debate that I forgot to mention earlier is the stark difference between Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain. Michelle has a warmth and approachability about her that is just completely absent with Cindy. Michelle just looks like a first lady, and balances Barack near-perfectly, adding dimension to the couple. Notice how they walked around and spoke with all those seated around the debate floor. Michelle was out there, shaking hands, smiling, laughing, taking pictures. Cindy looked like she was an afterthought in John's shadow. Uncomfortable. Unapproachable. Unappealing. Nearly silent with a half-hearted grin on her face.
Interesting. Something about Michelle just rubs me the wrong way. Means nothing on the grand scale though, I don't have to like his wife.

McCain always looks fake when he shakes Obama's hand. It's just like "whatever, hi" ... very little eye contact. And I don't trust people who overuse the phrase "my friend". Obama just comes off as more sincere and classy in general.

greepoman

Brannon said:
Spend a month in Mississippi and you'll never ask that question again. DA SOUF.

Exactly, and then when they think they're among friends they'll use some other words that are not so kind. I mean we used to joke around with the n-word in high school but that was basically joking around. When I lived in Mississippi it shocked me when so many people used it and the seething hate was obvious when they said it.

unomas said:
I've voted for the winning president in the last 3 elections, but who will I vote for this time?

96' Clinton

00' Bush

04' Bush

08' ? I lean towards Republican values (abortion) , but I've got to vote for Obama for various reasons.

Well at least you can redeem yourself for those last two votes...

JCreasy

tanod said:
Just logged in to say:

Holy shit at Gallup. WOOO!!!!

Also, a little anecdotal evidence from IA:

My 50+ year old parents, life-long Republicans, are voting for Obama but I knew this already. They're really excited about it. They even had their "non-political" friends over for a debate watching party for the first Presidential debate and was prodding them to vote for Obama.

Awesome.

A couple days ago when I sent out my email about the vote for change website, my mom actually filled out the registration form for my older brother and my sister in law to get registered since they just moved to IA from WI and had them sign it.

Awesomer.

Then, she told me that my 75 year old grandparents, also life-long Republicans, shared who they were going to vote for, which is a surprise all of its own. But holy shit, they're voting for Obama too. :O :O :O !!?! They just said they feel more comfortable voting for him and that he seems to have a better handle of what's going on in the country.

Obama kicked so much ass in the debate last night. First with the BombBombBomb Iran and then with his healthcare defense.

I think I'm OD'ing on Hopium right now!!

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!

homersimpsondrooling.jpg

good job t. good job :D

you are an inspiration.

see, this is what i'm talking about. this is what BARACK is talking about. hope and motivation like this can move MOUNTAINS!!

don't tell me we can't get this man elected! don't tell me we can't change course! don't tell me we're at the mercy of the fat cats in washington!

we can change our fate! we can change our country! we DESERVE TO HAVE HOPE!!

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!!!

vitaflo

This may have already been talked about, but did anyone watch the debate after it was over on CSPAN? Both McCain and Obama met with some of the audience afterwards, but McCain left the room about 5 mins after it was over and Obama was there with Michelle talking to everyone and taking pictures for what seemed like a half an hour after it was done.

Given the room was full of undecided voters, bad move on McCain's part.

Wizman23

Banned
My friends still laugh at me when I tell them Obama is going to be the next president. They think these polls mean jack shit. Some of them don't even think he will get 25% of the vote:lol MORONS!

ghibli99

Hilbert said:
Seriously, I have heard it from older white people in Oregon. Hardly the south.
Was just going to say the same thing... it's not just the s'th. My grandparents in OR say this all the time. Thankfully, they've stopped calling Brazil nuts by their other name...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wizman23 said:
My friends still laugh at me when I tell them Obama is going to be the next president. They think these polls mean jack shit. Some of them don't even think he will get 25% of the vote:lol MORONS!
In Utah, maybe, but nobody gives a shit about their 5 EVs anyway. ;)

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Wizman23 said:
They are aware of the Democratic Party, right? That it accounts for far more than 25% of the country, right? They realize this is a two party system, yes? Jesus fucking christ, people are stupid.

Evlar

Banned
Hitokage said:
"She [Palin] is a fine match for my husband." - Cindy McCain

Uh, right!
Every time I dismiss McCain as a cranky old right-wing codger he throws a curveball. Who knew someone in an open marriage could lead the Republican ticket?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's weird listening to this absolutely certain "we will win!" rhetoric. I mean, I understand the importance of remaining optimistic but there's a fine line between determination and Terry McLawlffle. They have to acknowledge that the odds are against them.

Wizman23 said:

While the presidency is yet to be determined there are a lot of people on both sides who don't really understand American politics or culture to the level they think they do. I remember having arguments with my brother during the primaries that if Obama won he wouldn't be able to win states like NY or CA which is obviously absurd. People who don't travel or don't have a wide variety of friends tend to view the world solely through their insular bubble.

Evlar

Banned
Hitokage said:
It's weird listening to this absolutely certain "we will win!" rhetoric. I mean, I understand the importance of remaining optimistic but there's a fine line between determination and Terry McLawlffle. They have to acknowledge that the odds are against them.
The McCain campaign's recent "Vote Against Obama, He's a Scary MoFo" tactic only works if you can convince people you can beat him.

Barrett2

Stoney Mason said:
While the presidency is yet to be determined there are a lot of people on both sides who don't really understand American politics or culture to the level they think they do. I remember having arguments with my brother during the primaries that if Obama won he wouldn't be able to win states like NY or CA which is obviously absurd. People who don't travel or don't have a wide variety of friends tend to view the world solely through their insular bubble.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people. In 2004 shortly before the election I remember listening to pure insanity at a family reunion. Here are some quotes: "I heard Kerry wants to have abortion doctors in high schools." "Kerry wants to get rid of the border between the US and Mexico." "I thought that Kerry opposed the US in some previous war."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom