• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanod

when is my burrito
Just logged in to say:

Holy shit at Gallup. WOOO!!!!

Also, a little anecdotal evidence from IA:

My 50+ year old parents, life-long Republicans, are voting for Obama but I knew this already. They're really excited about it. They even had their "non-political" friends over for a debate watching party for the first Presidential debate and was prodding them to vote for Obama.

Awesome.

A couple days ago when I sent out my email about the vote for change website, my mom actually filled out the registration form for my older brother and my sister in law to get registered since they just moved to IA from WI and had them sign it.

Awesomer.

Then, she told me that my 75 year old grandparents, also life-long Republicans, shared who they were going to vote for, which is a surprise all of its own. But holy shit, they're voting for Obama too. :O :O :O !!?! They just said they feel more comfortable voting for him and that he seems to have a better handle of what's going on in the country.

Obama kicked so much ass in the debate last night. First with the BombBombBomb Iran and then with his healthcare defense.

I think I'm OD'ing on Hopium right now!!

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!

homersimpsondrooling.jpg

ghibli99

One other observation from last night's debate that I forgot to mention earlier is the stark difference between Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain. Michelle has a warmth and approachability about her that is just completely absent with Cindy. Michelle just looks like a first lady, and balances Barack near-perfectly, adding dimension to the couple. Notice how they walked around and spoke with all those seated around the debate floor. Michelle was out there, shaking hands, smiling, laughing, taking pictures. Cindy looked like she was an afterthought in John's shadow. Uncomfortable. Unapproachable. Unappealing. Nearly silent with a half-hearted grin on her face.

I was thinking about this, and say what you will about Dubya, but I've always found Laura Bush to be one of the most likeable first ladies. I can't help but smile when I see her, especially when she was campaigning with her husband, and I like a lot of the programs and initiatives she's been a part of and/or started.

Teresa Heinz (Kerry), on the other hand, I couldn't stand. Not that I thought Kerry was a strong candidate to begin with (I found him to be quite a dud), but his wife was someone I actively ignored, and she certainly didn't help his cause. I view Cindy in a similar fashion. She's incredibly unlikeable to me, and last night was another example of why.

Cloudy

Banned
For the Conservatives in here, what do you think of McCain's expanded mortgage bailout (on top of the housing provisions in the bailout bill) lol

tanod said:
Just logged in to say:

Holy shit at Gallup. WOOO!!!!

Also, a little anecdotal evidence from IA:

My 50+ year old parents, life-long Republicans, are voting for Obama but I knew this already. They're really excited about it. They even had their "non-political" friends over for a debate watching party for the first Presidential debate and was prodding them to vote for Obama.

Awesome.

A couple days ago when I sent out my email about the vote for change website, my mom actually filled out the registration form for my older brother and my sister in law to get registered since they just moved to IA from WI and had them sign it.

Awesomer.

Then, she told me that my 75 year old grandparents, also life-long Republicans, shared who they were going to vote for, which is a surprise all of its own. But holy shit, they're voting for Obama too. :O :O :O !!?! They just said they feel more comfortable voting for him and that he seems to have a better handle of what's going on in the country.

Obama kicked so much ass in the debate last night. First with the BombBombBomb Iran and then with his healthcare defense.

I think I'm OD'ing on Hopium right now!!

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!

homersimpsondrooling.jpg

I'm getting all my family to vote for mccain, just to nullify all your votes.

ghibli99 said:
Cindy looked like she was an afterthought in John's shadow. Uncomfortable. Unapproachable. Unappealing. Nearly silent with a half-hearted grin on her face.

Looked like she was reluctant in shaking hands with the colored people.

What the hell am I looking at right now.

I've clicked on the CNN Live stream linked to earlier, and it's just been shitty music for 15 minutes straight showing a room full of McCain supporters...

Is McCain going to speak soon?

Jonm1010

Banned
Someone is trying to argue me that Zogby is as reputable and accurate as Rassmussen and Gallup. I know some people had some things during the primaries and recently about how inaccurate zogby was. Any help??

Barrett2

ghibli99 said:
One other observation from last night's debate that I forgot to mention earlier is the stark difference between Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain. Michelle has a warmth and approachability about her that is just completely absent with Cindy. Michelle just looks like a first lady, and balances Barack near-perfectly, adding dimension to the couple. Notice how they walked around and spoke with all those seated around the debate floor. Michelle was out there, shaking hands, smiling, laughing, taking pictures. Cindy looked like she was an afterthought in John's shadow. Uncomfortable. Unapproachable. Unappealing. Nearly silent with a half-hearted grin on her face.

I was thinking about this, and say what you will about Dubya, but I've always found Laura Bush to be one of the most likeable first ladies. I can't help but smile when I see her, especially when she was campaigning with her husband, and I like a lot of the programs and initiatives she's been a part of and/or started.

Teresa Heinz (Kerry), on the other hand, I couldn't stand. Not that I thought Kerry was a strong candidate to begin with (I found him to be quite a dud), but his wife was someone I actively ignored, and she certainly didn't help his cause. I view Cindy in a similar fashion. She's incredibly unlikeable to me, and last night was another example of why.

I largely agree. Michelle definitely has the Jackie O thing going on. Laura Bush seems like a very nice lady, but Michelle will definitely add a refreshing style to the First Lady responsibilities. In addition to being young and attractive, she is also a friggin' Harvard lawyer.

I also think it will be difficult for Republicans to smear Michelle the way they like smearing the wives of Democrats. I think it will be very cool to have Obama delegate certain small policy objectives to Michelle. I think she has the capacity to be a more assertive First Lady, without falling into the 'Hillary trap.'

And seriously, I know this sounds like a cliche' thing to say, but I still can't get over the idea of a young black family in the White House with little kids running around... the image of change and progression that sends will be so powerful. I love it.

Fatalah

Souldriver said:

I've clicked on the CNN Live stream linked to earlier, and it's just been shitty music for 15 minutes straight showing a room full of McCain supporters...

Yeah, you missed the Obama rally.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Jonm1010 said:
Someone is trying to argue me that Zogby is as reputable and accurate as Rassmussen and Gallup. I know some people had some things during the primaries and recently about how inaccurate zogby was. Any help??

zogby interactive is an online poll.. their 'offline' poll is better, but also pretty crappy though..

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Here's how i'd like to see it.

Secretary of State (Condoleezza Rice) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of the Treasury (Henry Paulson) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Defense (Robert Gates) - Chuck Todd
Attorney General (Michael Mukasey) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of the Interior (Dirk Kempthorne) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Agriculture (Edward Schafer) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Commerce (Carlos Gutierrez) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Labor (Elaine Chao) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Health and Human Services (Michael Leavitt) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Steve Preston) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Transportation (Mary Peters) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Energy (Samuel Bodman) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of EducationMargaret Spellings - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Veterans Affairs (James Peake) - Chuck Todd
Secretary of Homeland Security (Michael Chertoff) - Chuck Todd

Vice President of the United States (Richard Cheney) - Joe Biden
White House Chief of Staff (Joshua Bolten) - Chuck Todd
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (Stephen Johnson) - Chuck Todd
Director of the Office of Management and Budget (Jim Nussle) - Chuck Todd
Director of the National Drug Control Policy (John Walters) - Chuck Todd
United States Trade Representative (Susan Schwab) - Chuck Todd

Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Ben Bernanke) - Chuck Todd
Commissioner of the Social Security Administration (Michael Astrue) - Chuck Todd
Director of National Intelligence (Mike McConnell) - Chuck Todd

JCreasy

mj1108 said:
vqsv3i7fzu-nk_eq2zel9g.gif

HAPPY RECORD BREAKING GALLUP DAY EVERYONE!!!!!

Jonm1010 said:

Show him the California Zogby Obama Hillary primary poll. On second thought don't as he'll use that as an excuse to say Obama is gonna get creamed.

It basically comes down to weighting. All polling is a bit of guess work but anybody who is heavily using 2004 weightings is probably off the mark.

Xisiqomelir said:
That's not pessimistic at all. That's a historic high for him.

I meant for Mccain ;)

Like I said Intrade is really on a reflection of perceived knowledge but it's still nice to see it swing that way although I expect Mccain to be back up in the 30's soon at least.

Joe

wasn't it just last week when republicans were saying obama was going to spend $1 trillion dollars ($700b bailout + $300b spending) but now mccain is doing the same exact thing ($700b + $300b mortgage buyouts)???

Tamanon

Banned
Joe said:
wasn't it just last week when republicans were saying obama was going to spend $1 trillion dollars ($700b bailout + $300b spending) but now mccain is doing the same exact thing ($700b + $300b mortgage buyouts)???

McCain realized that in times of trouble, you can't campaign on fiscal responsibility, because recessions are when government spending is needed.

I think Obama and Biden needs to get through voter's heads that Bush's tax cuts has done more than just make the rich richer. Yes, they have mentioned that wages have stagnated, but they also need to go on the offensive on that savings and investments have declined. They need to be more specific on why Bush's tax cuts did not work and McCain will just enxtend Bush's tax cuts.

Zoe

Joe said:

He upped Obama's extra spending to $800b, so it's all good!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Souldriver said:

Yeah they are still standing there. WTF?! They've been there for like 45 minutes doing nothing.

:|

unomas

Banned
I've voted for the winning president in the last 3 elections, but who will I vote for this time?

96' Clinton

00' Bush

04' Bush

08' ? I lean towards Republican values (abortion) , but I've got to vote for Obama for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom