• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

obama/biden should have been using reusable water bottles filled with filtered water the entire campaign.

Fox318 said:
Here's an question for Gaf. How can McCain still win? How would gaf run his campaign?
McCain can still win if he knocks out Obama in the last debate. Or if some nasty story about obama comes up and the McCain campaign jumps on it.

Fox318 said:
Here's an question for Gaf. How can McCain still win? How would gaf run his campaign?

Have him freak out and sucker-punch Obama at the next debate. Then release PR saying something about being a Maverick.

Case closed.

obamaayers.jpg

Evlar

Banned
Testament to the big push in Florida: Just got a call from the campaign begging asking for help. I don't think I'm ready to canvass in the redneck Panhandle but I'll try working the phones.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The Blue Jihad said:
Watching MSNBC now. They just showed footage of Cindy McCain and Palin from earlier today.

Words fail me.

I can think of a word for that horseshit Cindy McCain pulled, but it would get me banned, and its not trollop.

Seriously.

Your husband voted against funding the troops too, he voted against giving them body armor.

Zeliard

The Blue Jihad said:
Watching MSNBC now. They just showed footage of Cindy McCain and Palin from earlier today.

Words fail me.

Yeah, I saw that. It would have pissed me off if Obama wasn't well on his way to victory. Doesn't really matter what those dipshits say anymore. Everything they say and do at this point is embarrassing, transparent, and desperate.

Clevinger

StoOgE said:
I can think of a word for that horseshit Cindy McCain pulled, but it would get me banned, and its not trollop.

Seriously.

Your husband voted against funding the troops too, he voted against giving them body armor.

Also, while the media was deriding Michelle for botching her patriotism line, it was Cindy who added to the pile on with that "I've always been proud of my country" shit

Even Laura Bush (bless her poor soul) defended Michelle.

firex

get rid of Sarah Failin and add Mike Huckabee and therefore Stephen Colbert to the ticket. let Colbert come on the campaign trail with you.

Colbert Nation would vote McCain without thinking twice, which, coincidentally, is two more times than the RNC wants you to think before voting anyway.

TDG

Banned
Fox318 said:
I'd throw the kitchen sink at him. Epic negative ad buys, come very, VERY close to accusing him of being a terrorist, relight the fears of a manchurian candidate, etc.

White Man said:
Election night dirty tricks in the battleground states.
This too.

Zeliard

Fox318 said:

He can't. The only way he can win at this point is if:

1) The Bradley effect will be considerably larger than anyone realistically expects

2) Some sort of calamity that somehow takes attention off of the economy and puts it on foreign policy, like another 9/11

So yeah, it won't happen. Why do you think that campaign resorted to bringing back up Ayers/Wright/Rezko and trying to smear the shit out of Obama? They literally have no other options.

saelz8

Petraeus Talk Seems to Bolster Obama

Throughout Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaign, the Republican nominee has wrapped himself in the mantle of U.S. Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, proclaiming himself the leading advocate of the former commanding general in Iraq who devised last year’s controversial troop surge. Yet during a talk Wednesday about Iraq at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative Washington policy organization, Petraeus repeatedly made statements that bolstered the foreign-policy proposals of Sen. Barack Obama, McCain’s Democratic rival, or cut against McCain’s own lines.

Petraeus relinquished command in Iraq last month. He assumes responsibility for U.S. Central Command later this month, putting him in charge of U.S. forces in the Middle East and South Asia.

As a serving military officer, Petraeus attempted to avoid any explicit political discussion. “I’m not walking into minefields now,” Petraeus said, to laughter, when asked a question that referred to Tuesday night’s presidential debate. In fact, the general averred that he didn’t watch the debate.

Yet Petraeus, whether intentionally or not, often waded into areas of dispute between Obama and McCain involving Afghanistan, negotiating with adversaries and other recent campaign controversies. Each time, the general either lent tacit support to Obama or denied tacit support to McCain.

Unbidden, Petraeus discussed whether his strategy in Iraq — protecting the population while cleaving apart the insurgency through reconciliation efforts to crush the remaining hard-core enemies — could also work in Afghanistan. The question has particular salience as Petraeus takes over U.S. Central Command, which will put him at the helm of all U.S. troops in the Middle East and South Asia, thereby giving him a large role in the Afghanistan war.

“Some of the concepts used in Iraq are transplantable [to Afghanistan] while others perhaps are not,” he said. “Every situation is unique.”

Petraeus pointed to efforts by Hamid Karzai’s government to negotiate a deal with the Taliban that would potentially bring some Taliban members back to power, saying that if they are “willing to reconcile,” it would be “a positive step.”

In saying that, Petraeus implicitly allied with U.S. Army Gen. David McKiernan, the U.S. commander in Afghanistan. Last week, McKiernan rejected the idea of replicating the blend of counterinsurgency strategy employed in Iraq. “The word that I don’t use in Afghanistan is the word ’surge,’” McKiernan said, opting against recruiting Pashtun tribal fighters to supplement Afghan security forces against Al Qaeda and the Taliban. “There are countless other differences between Iraq and Afghanistan,” he added.

McCain, however, has argued that the Afghanistan war is ripe for a direct replication of Petraeus’ Iraq strategy of population-centric counterinsurgency. “Sen. Obama calls for more troops,” McCain said in the Sept. 26 debate, “but what he doesn’t understand, it’s got to be a new strategy, the same strategy that he condemned in Iraq. It’s going to have to be employed in Afghanistan.”

McCain qualified that statement in Tuesday’s debate, but clung to it while discussing Afghanistan and Pakistan. “Gen. Petraeus had a strategy,” McCain said, “the same strategy — very, very different, because of the conditions and the situation — but the same fundamental strategy that succeeded in Iraq. And that is to get the support of the people.”

Petraeus also came out unambiguously in his talk at Heritage for opening communications with America’s adversaries, a position McCain is attacking Obama for endorsing. Citing his Iraq experience, Petraeus said, “You have to talk to enemies.” He added that it was necessary to have a particular goal for discussion and to perform advance work to understand the motivations of his interlocutors.

All that was the subject of one of the most contentious tussles between McCain and Obama in the first presidential debate, with Obama contending that his intent to negotiate with foreign adversaries without “precondition” did not mean that he would neglect diplomatic “preparation.”

McCain, apparently perceiving an opportunity for attack, Tuesday again used Obama’s comments to attack his judgment. “Sen. Obama, without precondition, wants to sit down and negotiate with them, without preconditions,” McCain said, referring to Iran.

Yet Petraeus emphasized throughout his lecture that reaching out to insurgent groups — some “with our blood on their hands,” he said — was necessary to the ultimate goal of turning them against irreconcilable enemies like Al Qaeda in Iraq.

Petraeus favorably cited the example of one of his British deputies, who in a previous assignment had to negotiate with Martin McGuiness of the Irish Republican Army, responsible for killing some of the British commander’s troops. The British officer, Petraeus said, occasionally wanted to “reach across the table” and choke his former adversary but understood that such negotiations were key to ending a war.

Petraeus reflected at length on the need to “take away and hold the strongholds and safe havens” possessed by Al Qaeda in Iraq during 2007 and 2008, saying that without doing so, the rest of the counterinsurgency strategy “won’t work.” While he did not initially make reference to Al Qaeda’s much greater presence in the Federal Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan, it was hard not to hear the overtones of the current argument over Pakistan policy between Obama and McCain.

More..

GhaleonEB

Obama just comes out and says what a lot of us were thinking last night.

GIBSON: Change the subject for a moment. John McCain has unloaded on you in the last 72, 96 hours as has Sarah Palin. McCain is saying, essentially, we don't know who Barack Obama is, where he came from. I'm an open book, he's not.

OBAMA: Right.

GIBSON: Were you surprised, A, that he didn't bring it up last night at the debate and use that line of attack? And, B, since you must have prepared for it, what were you going to say?

OBAMA: Well, I am surprised that, you know, we've been seeing some pretty over-the-top attacks coming out of the McCain campaign over the last several days that he wasn't willing to say it to my face.

But I guess we've got one last debate. So presumably, if he ends up feeling that -- that he needs to, he will raise it during the debate.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=5985527&page=4

Basically, McCain is a coward.

It's a good interview. The rest of his response on Ayres:

The notion that people don't know who I am is a little hard to swallow. I've been running for president for the last two years. I've campaigned in 49 states. Millions of people have heard me speak at length on every topic under the sun. I've been involved now in 25 debates, going on my 26th. And I've written two books which any -- everybody who reads them will say are about as honest a set of reflections by, at least, a politician as are out there.

So, you know, I think that, you know, Senator McCain's campaign has been focusing on me primarily because they don't want to focus on the economy. And they've said as much. I mean, you've had their spokespeople over the last couple of days say if we talk about the economic crisis, we lose.

I mean, you can't be much more blatant than that. They want to change the subject. And I understand it because the fact is that John McCain has subscribed, for the most part, to the same economic philosophy as George Bush, the same economic philosophy that has governed over the last eight years and has helped to get us in this mess.

GIBSON: And, finally, she's come at you, Sarah Palin has come at you because of the Bill Ayers connection.

OBAMA: Right.

GIBSON: Are you going to have to address that again? How are you going to explain it? Have you had a continuing connection with it? And why didn't you just cut it off once and for all once when you knew?

OBAMA: Why don't we just clear it up right now. I'll repeat again what I've said many times. This is a guy who engaged in some despicable acts 40 years ago when I was eight years old. By the time I met him, 10 or 15 years ago, he was a college professor of education at the University of Illinois. And we served on a school reform board together, by the way, that was funded by Walter Annenberg, who had been an ambassador and close friend of Ronald Reagan. And so I have talked to him about school reform issues.

And the notion that somehow he has been involved in my campaign, that he is an adviser of mine, that he -- I've palled around with a terrorist, all these statements are made simply to try to score cheap political points. And, you know, the idea that the McCain campaign would want to make this the centerpiece of the discussion in the closing weeks of a campaign where we are facing the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression and we're in the middle of two wars, I think makes very little sense not just to me but to the American people.

And if, you know, look, I can handle these attacks for the remaining four weeks, but it's certainly not serving our democracy right now. We need to be having a debate about how we're going to yank ourselves out of a very difficult situation. And that's what I'm going to spend my time talking about.
XxenobladerxX said:
http://thepage.time.com/obama-tv-ad-country-i-believe-in/

The fact he has to do this with only 27 days till the election pisses me off.
Two possibiliites.

1) Obama is being pro-active and getting ahead of McCain's new tactic working.

2) Obama sees signs that it was working and they are responding.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
From what I have re-listened to of the first debate, I have to say it supports my initial reaction that last night's debate was pretty horrible overall. If C-Span puts it on youtube as well, I'll see if I still feel the same way.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fox318 said:
  • I would steal Obama's talking points and lines, for one.
  • I'd also drop race baiting in speeches and none-too-subtly incite hatred and bigotry in my audiences.
  • I'd let my campaign continue the whisper campaign that Obama is a muslim.
  • I'd quietly allow suppression of democratic and minority voters by my GOP cohorts at the state level.
  • I'd distort every single position Obama has beyond ethical limits and when called out for lies I would continue to state that as if they were fact and accuse those who point out the lies as being biased.
  • I'd allow my campaign to be as unethical as possible, in non-criminal ways, and (in personal appearances) will not mention the dirty campaign I am running in an attempt to dominate the news cycle with slander and lies but rarely be seen actually delivering those outright lies.
  • If I could go back in time, I'd probably also stare at Palin's body as much as possible during her first speech...though that doesn't have much to do with policy and more to do with me being a bit of a pervert.
I don't expect McCain to do any of this, however.

ronito

Fox318 said:
Well, obviously it's going to be won on the economy. Sadly, Mccain's party and record both go against this. He could go bullish against wall street making executives put up their own assets as collateral for the 700 billion. Largely symbolic but I think it would be effective. Fact is that
1. Mccain's party is largely behind the mess.
2. Mccain has a record of being for deregulation and tax cuts for the rich.
3. His comments on healthcare and the economy are daming.
4. The Mccain campaign has already thrown everything and the kitchen sink at Obama.
5. A trainwreck of VP

#4 is the main defeating factor. If they had saved Ayers for now instead of having it play out like yesterday's news which it was 6 months ago, if they had saved all the crap about experience until the last month and then unleashed everything blow after blow week after week leading up to election you could shake his base substantially. But now everyone's heard nearly everything at least a few times. Of course with the intarwebs you might not have this luxury.

#5 is also damning. In such an important election why in the world you would pick someone like Palin fails me completely. All she can do revitalize the base. But VPs are supposed to help you pick up states and votes you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Alaska was already going republican and its electorals small. Palin is not someone that will make an undecided voter change, instead she only reinforces stereotypes, because that's what she is. Mccain should've picked Crist. Florida would've been a lock, now it's by some accounts mildly competitive.

In short, it's too late now. Only racism and fear can elect Mccain at this point outside of vote fixing.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
White Man said:
Election night dirty tricks in the battleground states.
Electronic voting systems scare me. Which states are using them?

Haunted

Is it fair to say that McCains VP pick has done more for the Obama campaign than Obama's own pick? :lol Palin's favourable/unfavourible numbers are insane.

Stick a fork in it, it's done. BUT, keep pushing for the big voter turnout, keep encouraging people, keep up the ground game and this'll be hard to lose for Obama barring a major scandal.

gkryhewy

firex said:
I wonder which recently overexposed female will get more hate in Philly: Palin, or Mama McNabb?

I know Mama McNabb's basically dropped off the radar in the past few years, but I think it's fairer to compare Palin to her than it is to compare Palin to some of the other legendary targets of boos in Philly.

People should remember that the crowd in the arena will be mainly white and upper class. She will not be greeted like Michael Irvin. Still, she will be booed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Haunted said:
Is it fair to say that McCains VP pick has done more for the Obama campaign than Obama's own pick? :lol Palin's favourable/unfavourible numbers are insane.

Stick a fork in it, it's done. BUT, keep pushing for the big voter turnout, keep encouraging people, keep up the ground game and this'll be hard to lose for Obama barring a major scandal.

And the dumb thing is Mika B. on MSNBC TONIGHT just said that the Palin pick was just brillant!

WHY?! Do these TV talking heads not look at the numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom