• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
artredis1980 said:
WHERE ARE THE CANDIDATES TODAY!?

JOHN MCCAIN : VA and NC (Traditionally both are Republican)

SARAH PALIN: VA (Traditionally is Republican)

D-Fence.jpg

Barrett2

perfectchaos007 said:
But will people be able to vote for a black man at the polls? That's the question prople are concerned about.

IMO the Bradley Effect will only affect 2-3% of voters. I just don't think that many people are susceptible to change their votes while literally in the voting booth. The numbers have to get a lot closer before I will start worrying about that.

Also, with these megaton awesome Gallup numbers, you have to consider a competing trend of McCain turnout trending downward, because people don't want to waste time voting for a loser. IMO, these two factors will basically cancel each other out.

tanod

when is my burrito
CharlieDigital said:
I'd like to introduce the "MLK" effect. This postulates that a large number of people will show up to vote to be a part of the movement so that they can look back on it 30 years from now and say "I voted for the first black President of the United States".

I hearken back to a recent Washington Post or NY Times survey that said "how does Barack Obama's blackness affect your vote in November"

9% more likely to vote for
6% less likely

The best the MLK effect does is potentially cancel out the racist vote.

Ahh, hopium. Got somma that good shit today.

Take a big hit, use the carborator, and hold it in as long as you can. Make sure to cough it out, too, cuz that makes u even more fucked up.

JCreasy

CharlieDigital said:
I'd like to introduce the "MLK" effect. This postulates that a large number of people will show up to vote to be a part of the movement so that they can look back on it 30 years from now and say "I voted for the first black President of the United States".

wow, that post gave me chills.

good shit man. damn straight.

Obama/Biden 08!

Cyan

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Haha, I've been saying this to all my friends.

CharlieDigital said:
I've never even thought about that.

"I voted for the first black President of the United States" is some intense shit.

I've always thought about "I voted for Obama," but shit, the guy is going to make some serious history! My mom still talks fondly about the time she shook hands with Bobby Kennedy.

The Lamonster said:

"I voted for the first black President of the United States" is some intense shit.

I've always thought about "I voted for Obama," but shit, the guy is going to make some serious history! My mom still talks fondly about the time she shook hands with Bobby Kennedy.
It'll be interesting to see how he's referred to by the media in the years to come should he win. Will he be president Obama or will he remain the first black president Obama?

CharlieDigital said:

What a shitty reason to vote.

gcubed

I'd like to put in my hat for the "Common Sense" effect.

Where it is that you take a look at enthusiasm among supporters. The higher the enthusiasm, the more likely they will come to vote no matter the outcome. Vice versa for lower enthusiasm. I think McCain has much more to lose for people not wanting to be bothered to come out to vote for a losing candidate because he has much lower enthusiasm numbers.

seat

Funky Papa said:
Great numbers, but Obama's campaign should try its best not too look overly optimistic. I can't help but think in plenty of young voters staying at home, thinking that everything is done.
And like Bill Maher was saying other night, the more votes Obama gets, the more political capital he'll have to deliver the changes he's promising.

New OHIO and PENNSYLVANIA numbers

Marist College Institute for Public Opinion

Ohio
961 registered voters, 771 likely voters, margin of error +/-3.5% for both

Likely voters with leaners: Obama 49, McCain 45
(9/11-15: Obama 47, McCain 45)

Registered voters: Obama 48, McCain 40
(9/11-15: Obama 44, McCain 44)

Pennsylvania
943 registered voters, 757 likely voters, margin of error +/-3.5% for both

Likely voters with leaners: Obama 53, McCain 41
(9/11-15: Obama 49, McCain 44)

Registered voters: Obama 49, McCain 40
(9/11-15: Obama 45, McCain 42)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
RumpledForeskin said:

No its not. Voting for someone you believe in + the added historical implications is huge.

You dont think Obama being president says something good about America regardless of your political views. It shows how far we have come as a nation.

Now, if its the only reason you vote for the guy? Probably a dumb reason. But I could see it as a motivator for people who already want him to win to get to the polls vs staying at home.

The Lamonster said:

I had thought about it, but honestly I think that's something tons of people who didn't vote for Obama will say too. I don't consider the Bradely effect to be so much about race in this case, but simply people feeling to 'safe' about Obama's chances and not voting.

Barrett2

StoOgE said:
Drudge still has his "Gallup numbers tightening" headline with a link to yesterdays numbers.

PWND!

No time to update poll numbers when you have super-important ACORN & Ayers news to report. :p

StoOgE

artredis1980 said:
New OHIO and PENNSYLVANIA numbers

Marist College Institute for Public Opinion

Ohio
961 registered voters, 771 likely voters, margin of error +/-3.5% for both

Likely voters with leaners: Obama 49, McCain 45
(9/11-15: Obama 47, McCain 45)

Registered voters: Obama 48, McCain 40
(9/11-15: Obama 44, McCain 44)

Pennsylvania
943 registered voters, 757 likely voters, margin of error +/-3.5% for both

Likely voters with leaners: Obama 53, McCain 41
(9/11-15: Obama 49, McCain 44)

Registered voters: Obama 49, McCain 40
(9/11-15: Obama 45, McCain 42)

OBAMA HAS THIS ON LOCKDOWN.

StoOgE said:
No its not. Voting for someone you believe in + the added historical implications is huge.

You dont think Obama being president says something good about America regardless of your political views. It shows how far we have come as a nation.

Now, if its the only reason you vote for the guy? Probably a dumb reason. But I could see it as a motivator for people who already want him to win to get to the polls vs staying at home.

Right basically, what I was proposing was that people who were already in it for Obama will be more likely to actually vote this cycle because of the historical significance of it.

I don't think we have to worry about the "what if voters don't show up?" question because I think the MLK Effect will be in full play. Even if voters think that it's a safe win, people will still turn up to cast their votes for the historical significance.

Barrett2

RumpledForeskin said:

No more shitty than most of the other nonsensical reasons I have heard people give for voting the way they do. At least it is a positive heuristic as opposed to a fear-mogering heuristic.

Spread this

mccainacorn.jpg

Image of McCain sitting in an ACORN Conference in March 2006 with Florida Rep Kendrick Meek

Bertha Lewis, Acorn's chief organizer, said in a statement that came with the photo, “It has deeply saddened us to see Senator McCain abandon his historic support for ACORN and our efforts to support the goals of low-income Americans."

”We are sure that the extremists he is trying to get into a froth will be even more excited to learn that John McCain stood shoulder to shoulder with ACORN, at an ACORN co-sponsored event, to promote immigration reform," she said.

JCreasy

StoOgE said:

Exactly.

And again, people aren't blindly voting for Obama because he's black, which I know some would like to believe. If that were the case, Alan Keyes would have gotten a lot farther along than he did . . .

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
RumpledForeskin said:

By itself, it may be. For me, its icing on the cake of all the other reasons I like Obama.

But ironically, even by itself, its still better reason to vote for him than anything Ive heard about why one should vote for McCain. I like to think about myself as a pragmatic and rational individual, and I actually have many conservative ideals- I just havent heard ONE RATIONAL reason for how McCain is possible a good choice right now.

GhaleonEB

bob_arctor said:
Yup. Icing. Cake.
Love the timing, too. Over the weekend word was McCain was meeting with his advisers to roll out new economic proposals, and decided against it. Now Obama rolls out his...and McCain has nothing. Whoops!

Also: I overhead my co-workers talking about how Obama is going to increase their taxes on 401k when they retire. I poke my head around the corner and say, "Actually, he's not going to. That's not part of his plan and not something he would ever propose."

Response: "Whatever. You know he's going to."

Sigh.

GhaleonEB said:
Love the timing, too. Over the weekend word was McCain was meeting with his advisers to roll out new economic proposals, and decided against it. Now Obama rolls out his...and McCain has nothing. Whoops!

Also: I overhead my co-workers talking about how Obama is going to increase their taxes on 401k when they retire. I poke my head around the corner and say, "Actually, he's not going to. That's not part of his plan and not something he would ever propose."

Sigh.
People like that aren't going to vote for Obama either way. You knew that ;)

JCreasy

GhaleonEB said:

Sigh.

Ask them to tell you why they believe this.

artredis1980 said:
Spread this

mccainacorn.jpg

Image of McCain sitting in an ACORN Conference in March 2006 with Florida Rep Kendrick Meek

:lol :lol :lol

I guess the next photo will be McCain playing golf with Bill Ayers. The McCain camp will have an excuse for that too though :lol

Saint Gregory said:
:lol :lol :lol

I guess the next photo will be McCain playing golf with Bill Ayers. The McCain camp will have an excuse for that too though :lol

"McCain was clearly there to shut down their shenanigans like only a Mavrick could!"

StoOgE

Guys, I think I just OD'd on Hopium.. Its like that scene from Being John Malkovich, except everyone looks like Obama and keeps trying to give me daps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom