• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shockgamer said:
Holy crap, Fox News focus group favors Obama.

But Illuminati said Mccain was schooling Obama!

I swear does any Republican have the balls to actually not just duck in during a debate. Lie. And then skirt away forever never to be seen until the next debate to repeat the cycle.

In full disclousre I didn't watch the debate nor will I. As I said before Town Hall debates are generally garabge so there was no reason for me to waste my time on it I deemed.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Macam said:
As someone who wasn't following GAF during the debate: Anyone that says this was a blowout will be sorely disappointed by the polling data in the upcoming days. It was an atrocious debate for both candidates and I suspect polling data will largely stay on par with where it is now and respond almost exclusively to the economy and any other events. The format was terrible and I fully expect pundits to bemoan the lack of new material and normal people to simply say they wanted more details (as they always do).
I thought Obama did better, but you're right - format aside this was a rehash of the first debate. And polls will show this to be a push because I think Obama's at the ceiling of his support.

Zeliard

alr1ghtstart said:
zluf0p.gif

game. set. match.

112cw84.jpg

speculawyer said:
ayers ayers ayers . . . rezco ayers rev. wright ayers!
Heh heh I've been watching more of Faux News lately as it's amusing to see Hannity get more and more wound up at the increasing inevitability of an Obama victory.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Am I the only one that gets the same feeling right now that we had a month before the last primaries against Clinton?

Sharp

I mean obviously yes this is a win for Obama but I doubt there's going to be any real shift in the polls because of this.

TDG

Banned
Is this T. Boone Pickens guy trying to become the next Ross Perot? I swear, his ads are on TV every five seconds.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Obama wins huge on healthcare. McCain's tax credit plan demonstrates his lack of understanding of the issue. Obama addressed the real concern of a lot of uninsured and underinsured people, that pre-existing conditions can majorly fuck you over, and fine print can prevent you from getting the treatment you need.

Xisiqomelir

Sharp said:
Obama could have won this 90-10 in polls and it wouldn't change anything. I'm calling it right now: the ratings for this are going to be atrocious.

Second debate has less viewers than first debate?!

UNPOSSIBLE

Rindain

Banned
CNN highlighting McCain's failure to prioritize healthcare, energy, and SS. I agree that was one of McCain's weakest moments.

Tonights debate seemed pretty much like a recap of what we've heard before. Both guys pretty quickly got into the form they were in midway through the first debate, and there were some new things, but for the most part this debate didn't really do anything different.

Its pretty much a wash. I didn't watch as intently as before and kind of started to channel surf a bit towards the last of it, but I don't think many are going to be swayed in either direction tonight other than to just say, 'screw it, its pretty much all been said and I've been swaying towards this guy anyway'.

Kreed

Sharp said:
I mean obviously yes this is a win for Obama but I doubt there's going to be any real shift in the polls because of this.

But it was McCain that needed the shift, not Obama.

Zeliard

Sharp said:

Obama could potentially make some gains with undecided women after this.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
TDG said:
Is this T. Boone Pickens guy trying to become the next Ross Perot? I swear, his ads are on TV every five seconds.
T Boone is an oil tycoon that made all of his fortune off of the oil industry. His intentions seem pure, as he's very old and really won't live to see the day of America reaching energy independence. He put up something like $30mil of his own money into this plan and advertising.

Edit: Focus group on MSNBC goes... Obama 2:1.

JB1981

EviLore said:
Obama wins huge on healthcare. McCain's tax credit plan demonstrates his lack of understanding of the issue. Obama addressed the real concern of a lot of uninsured and underinsured people, that pre-existing conditions can majorly fuck you over, and fine print can prevent you from getting the treatment you need.

His reason for opposing portability across state lines was very well articulated too.

Damn I missed most of it. I just back to my car during Obama's Putin answer.
What I'm hearing from pundits:
No winner
no gloves came off
No major knockouts
McCain took 75 minutes to get his only major talking point - 'he's ready now'

'bout right?

Tobor

Sharp said:

That's all we need, Sharp. The remaining 40% wouldn't budge if McCain was revealed to be Kang.

Sharp

Kreed said:
But it was McCain that needed the shift, not Obama.
At this point I don't think anyone seriously believes McCain is capable of getting a significant shift. It was evident a few times in the polls that people just don't like him in debates, especially next to Obama. Body language etc. Since he's so far behind in the polls right now anyway it doesn't take much to convince people that he did worse in the debates, they want to believe it. Him actually losing the debate is just icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom