• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
"That one" may seem like a minor thing now, but I don't think it will remain one. It was one of the only things from the debate that the media can spin up, get hyped over and use as a vector of attack for the "McCain is tanking" narrative they are dying to start. The "close race" rubbish is teetering on the brink and they are chomping at the bit tomake "Failing Campaign" the new narrative.

Nobody refers to another person normally as "that one".. that what? will be the question, IMO

TDG

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
I would argue that they're either apathetic, or they just refuse to commit, even though they're leaning one way or another. If you have been following the election, you have SOME opinion, even if it's just a cynical "I think Candidate A stands to screw up the country less than Candidate B, so I'm leaning for A."
I think undecides are stupid. These people have no clue what the fuck they want. These candidates aren't similar at all, so they either are voting on character, or they're inconsistant in their views.

Just look at the fat guy on the CNN panel. He complained that the candidates views hadn't changed since the 1st debate. What the fuck? That same fellow probably would've complained about the candidates flip-flopping had they changed their positions. Undecideds are dumb, or uninformed.

CBS News and Knowledge Networks have, once again, conducted a nationally representative poll of uncommitted voters to get their immediate reaction to tonight's presidential debate.

And this new poll has good news for the Democratic ticket: Just as in the first presidential debate and the vice presidential face off, more uncommitted voters say the Democratic candidate won the debate. (The exact numbers may change as more respondents complete the survey.)

Thirty-nine percent of the 400 uncommitted voters surveyed identified Barack Obama as tonight's winner; 27 percent said John McCain won, while 35 percent saw the debate as a draw.

After the debate, 68 percent of uncommitted voters said that they think Obama will make the right decisions on the economy, compared to 54 percent who said that before the debate. Fewer thought McCain would do so – 49 percent after the debate, and 41 percent before.

Before the debate, 60 percent thought Obama understands voters’ needs and problems; that rose to 80 percent after the debate. For McCain, 35 percent felt he understands voters’ needs before the debate, and 46 percent thought so afterwards.

Before the debate, 42 percent thought Obama was prepared for the job of president. That percentage rose to 57 percent after the debate. For McCain, 80 percent felt he was prepared for the job before the debate, and 84 percent thought so afterwards.

We will have a full report on the poll later on. Uncommitted voters are those who don't yet know who they will vote for, or who have chosen a candidate but may still change their minds.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/10/07/politics/horserace/entry4508356.shtml

TreIII

WaltJay said:
So McCain left, and Obama stayed at talked with people.

Great idea, McCain!

That really baffled me and my family.

McCain and his wife dipsetted.....leaving Obama and his wife to work it with the crowd....UNOPPOSED.

Good grief, how do you pass up free publicity like that?! :lol :lol

greepoman

Exactly.... when McCain refused a handshake from Obama after the debate, he lost all of my respect. Absolute joke.

I almost feel bad McCain lost a vote cause such of a stupid reason...that's conservatives for you.

WaltJay

CNN Poll

Who did a better job at that debate?
50% Obama /34% McCain

Opinion of Barack Obama
Before debate: 60% Positive / 38% Negative
After debate: 64% / 34%

Opinion of John McCain:
Before: 51% / 46%
After: 51% / 46%

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think McCain only said it because they weren't suppose to directly address each other. Well that mixed with him being a little condescending. Hopefully the media doesn't grab on to this for dear life...I know we'll hear it a couple more times, but they need to let it drop after tomorrow morning.

Uh oh, CNN getting crazy with THAT ONE.

Stoney Mason said:
CBS News and Knowledge Networks have, once again, conducted a nationally representative poll of uncommitted voters to get their immediate reaction to tonight's presidential debate.

And this new poll has good news for the Democratic ticket: Just as in the first presidential debate and the vice presidential face off, more uncommitted voters say the Democratic candidate won the debate. (The exact numbers may change as more respondents complete the survey.)

Thirty-nine percent of the 400 uncommitted voters surveyed identified Barack Obama as tonight's winner; 27 percent said John McCain won, while 35 percent saw the debate as a draw.
Hmm, I was off by about 4 percent. Still happy with my prediction.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Vennt said:
"That one" may seem like a minor thing now, but I don't think it will remain one. It was one of the only things from the debate that the media can spin up, get hyped over and use as a vector of attack for the "McCain is tanking" narrative they are dying to start. The "close race" rubbish is teetering on the brink and they are chomping at the bit tomake "Failing Campaign" the new narrative.

Nobody refers to another person normally as "that one".. that what? will be the question, IMO
I think you guys are spinning this wayyyyyyyyyy out of control.

TDG said:
I think undecides are stupid. These people have no clue what the fuck they want. These candidates aren't similar at all, so they either are voting on character, or they're inconsistant in their views.

Just look at the fat guy on the CNN panel. He complained that the candidates views hadn't changed since the 1st debate. What the fuck? That same fellow probably would've complained about the candidates flip-flopping had they changed their positions. Undecideds are dumb, or uninformed.
I was going to TRY and play devil's advocate a little more and defend the undecideds, but The Daily Show just stole all the wind from my sails via John Oliver's undecided voter breakdown.

So, I got nothing now. I'll happily concede this one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh my god.

CNN and CBS REAL POLLS have Obama as a winner by over double digit margins.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I know they kind of mean nothing, but thanks to people posting the CNN results here cause it wouldn't load on my iphone.

saelz8

Andrew Sullivan's reaction, though maybe a bit over excited.
Andrew Sullivan said:
10.33 pm. This was, I think, a mauling: a devastating and possibly electorally fatal debate for McCain. Even on Russia, he sounded a little out of it. I've watched a lot of debates and participated in many. I love debate and was trained as a boy in the British system to be a debater. I debated dozens of times at Oxofrd. All I can say is that, simply on terms of substance, clarity, empathy, style and authority, this has not just been an Obama victory. It has been a wipe-out.It has been about as big a wipe-out as I can remember in a presidential debate. It reminds me of the 1992 Clinton-Perot-Bush debate. I don't really see how the McCain campaign survives this.
:lol

Clevinger

Grizzlyjin said:
I think McCain only said it because they weren't suppose to directly address each other. Well that mixed with him being a little condescending. Hopefully the media doesn't grab on to this for dear life...I know we'll hear it a couple more times, but they need to let it drop after tomorrow morning.

I bet he meant to say,

"Guess which senator voted for it? That one."

I hate McCain, but this is stupid.

I need a list of all the polls so far... please. I need sustenance and I had to be away from my computer for the past half hour. What did Fox say? CBS? ABC? I see CNN and that's great.

Grizzlyjin said:

Ah, I'm sure it'll only be CNN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom