• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
kkaabboomm said:
who heard maverick? was it mentioned?

Cronyism is the new Maverick

smurfx said:
obamawin.gif

Kyle needs to get a Biden pic to complete the GIF...bonus points for some Pailin in there

Zeliard said:
Because you're also trying to convince yourself.
I suppose. I don't know, I just have a little bit of trouble accepting that so many people are willing to lie about who they voted for just to make themselves feel better.

Danthrax said:
Then my apologies, as I don't think you're a dumbass. =)

After 2004 though, I don't trust absentee balloting or early voting, and I don't even really trust voting in person on election day either, but it's the best option. It seems like I'm not alone in mistrusting an Ohio election, too.

So if it was so busy in Columbus for early voting, I wonder why supposedly only 3,000 people did it in (I'm guessing here) Franklin, Cuyahoga, Lucas and Hamilton counties?
Nonono, you got it wrong. Only 3,000 people's votes counted in those counties.

Zeliard

Frank the Great said:
I think it's hilarious how McCain wants to freeze federal spending while initiating a new energy initiative. He was being completely facetious the entire debate...when he wasn't using soundbites that contradicted each other, he would back away from issues and rely on people "trusting" him to "fix them."

What a horrible performance. And people call Obama vague.

"I'll get Osama Bin Laden, my friends.

I'll get him.

I know I can get him.

I'll get him.

No matter what.

And I know how to do it."

- John McCain

kkaabboomm said:
and that is why mccain lost. he didnt let people know he was a maverick, and that he wasnt elected miss congeniality in the senate. without letting the american public know this, obviously they have no reason to gravitate towards mccain.

if, IF, if, he had mentioned his maverickness, all wouldve been better

But only a Maverick would not tell you that he is a Maverick when it matters most.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just got back from a debate watch even on campus. It was pretty cool. It was held in a big auditorium so we were able to watch the debate on a large movie theater sized screen. Unfortunately only about 40 people showed up, but it was still fun.

I thought the debate was fairly even for the most part. Obama was pretty consistent throughout the whole thing. McCain was pretty good as well, although at times I thought he seemed to be getting desperate with some of his attacks on Obama. Obama was much better during the first half, but McCain got a bit stronger in the second half.

Hopefully none of you had a drinking game going with the phrases "my friends", "clear record", or "fundamentally/fundamentals"......

Freedom = $1.05 said:
But only a Maverick would not tell you that he is a Maverick when it matters most.

or maybe a true maverick would tell you he's a maverick to out maverick those psuedo mavericks who wouldn't tell you they are, in fact, mavericks, when it matters most.

how about that?

/maverick

ronito

I personally think the debate was a trainwreck.

Sure the candidates got to hammer away at their talking points, but the whole thing seemed schizo jumping from one to another, then there was both of the candidates largely not being able to address concerns brought up by their opponent when their opponent was last. I felt it was largely unfair for both.

That being said I do think Mccain did a good job of revitalizing his base. But that's been his whole problem. He can't move beyond it. He seems to think that his base is the american at large, which just isn't the case. Obama did alright. But no big hits outside of the bomb Iran part.

I don't think Brokaw did a very good job reigning in both candidates. Both Obama and Mccain got away with not answering the question posed and Brokaw largely didn't call them on it.

mj1108

Trakdown said:
:lol :lol

EDIT: Just saw that McCain and Failin will be on Hannity and Colmes tomorrow for an interview. It should be as hard hitting as a 3am infomercial (line paraphrased from a past Palin interview that Olbermann talked about)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Son of Godzilla said:
Nonono, you got it wrong. Only 3,000 people's votes counted in those counties.

holy shit, how could I not have seen that?!!

Xabora said:
Hunh... I read that as McCain beating off Obama... O-o

You're becoming a GAFfer more and more, Junior. Embrace the ever-present gay subtext.

besada

Banned
ZealousD said:
That's right ladies and gentlemen. Not only did Phil Gramm push the deregulation of the banking industry by repealing the Glass-Steagal Act, which helped cause our current housing and banking crisis, not only did Phill Gramm lobby on behalf of Swiss bank UBS, but he was also actively involved in letting speculators run amok and he let them jack the price of oil up to record prices. And not only did that affect gas prices, but the commodities market includes FOOD as well.

And John McCain made this man his Chief Economic Advisor.

John McCain also voted for it.

gcubed

CharlieDigital said:
That IS a real, non-Internet poll :lol

Stunning, I know :lol

seriously 20+ points? holy shit

i have it on dvr and watching it now. My one observance is exactly the same as last time... McCain is REALLY bad at delivering jokes. REALLY REALLY bad... so one word of advice to McCain... Stop

Kipe

ronito said:
I personally think the debate was a trainwreck.

Sure the candidates got to hammer away at their talking points, but the whole thing seemed schizo jumping from one to another, then there was both of the candidates largely not being able to address concerns brought up by their opponent when their opponent was last. I felt it was largely unfair for both.

That being said I do think Mccain did a good job of revitalizing his base. But that's been his whole problem. He can't move beyond it. He seems to think that his base is the american at large, which just isn't the case. Obama did alright. But no big hits outside of the bomb Iran part.

I don't think Brokaw did a very good job reigning in both candidates. Both Obama and Mccain got away with not answering the question posed and Brokaw largely didn't call them on it.

There was nothing new, except McCain's plan to buy all mortgages, compared to the first debate. I'm going pass on the next debate and read a recap.

Gruco

Banned
The tribute remake needs to have Biden involved in order to maximize it's awesome quotient.

ronito said:
That being said I do think Mccain did a good job of revitalizing his base.
I dunno if "I'll have everyone renegotiate their mortgages for current market value" is gonna help with the base.

Trakdown

mj1108 said:
:lol :lol

EDIT: Just saw that McCain and Failin will be on Hannity and Colmes tomorrow for an interview. It should be as hard hitting as a 3am infomercial (line paraphrased from a past Palin interview that Olbermann talked about)

All Ayers, All the time.

ZealousD said:
That's right ladies and gentlemen. Not only did Phil Gramm push the deregulation of the banking industry by repealing the Glass-Steagal Act, which helped cause our current housing and banking crisis, not only did Phill Gramm lobby on behalf of Swiss bank UBS, but he was also actively involved in letting speculators run amok and he let them jack the price of oil up to record prices. And not only did that affect gas prices, but the commodities market includes FOOD as well.

And John McCain made this man his Chief Economic Advisor.

Obviously, we know which candidate stands for personal responsibility. John McCain believes in the age-old saying that "If you broke it, you fix it".

Vote John McCain!

Kipe said:
There was nothing new, except McCain's plan to buy all mortgages, compared to the first debate. I'm going pass on the next debate and read a recap.
WHAT?? pass on a debate? but...but....but....then what will happen?

Zeliard said:
Drudge, and Fox News' text poll.

Don't think anything else tonight had McCain winning. Even the Fox News focus group gave it to Obama. :lol
Really? Pretty surreal that CNN's focus group had McCain winning.

gcubed

Kipe said:

i stopped watching them live, and just read recaps and peruse the recording

greepoman

WHOAguitarninja said:
I'd love to see a video of this Hannity ownage whenever it goes up.

I swear it's like everyone at GAF watches all the news channels at the same time.

Yeah , I guess I'm old, I can't keep up.

Can someone at least summarize the Hannity ownage?

typhonsentra said:
Really? Pretty surreal that CNN's focus group had McCain winning.

this is the same focus group which said 49% thought McCain won the debate whereas all other polls have mcCain's numbers at 30%, I think 25 is not a big number, that is clearly an outlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom