• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Dan said:
Pro-life, creationist, supports intelligent design in science classes, supported constitutional ban on flag burning, etc.
Yeah, but is he functionally retarded? Does he know anything about government? Does he understand basic sentence structure? Is he a thug who runs around exacting revenge on his enemies?

Palin's bad for all the fundie reasons, but there's a lot more than that. If Jindal doesn't have the other problems, I could at least understand why the crazies love him while hating him myself.
Kusagari said:
Don't forget that Jindal believes he's an exorcist who fought off an evil demon!
what

Trurl

Banned
Danthrax said:
Damnit, fuck my stupidass state

My vote isn't going to matter because there are too many assbackwards farmers EVERYWHERE in Ohio that will cancel me out
It's a difference of three people. . . .

Sharp

BobTheFork said:
What's up with the early ohio voting that has people bummed out?
In the four largest counties in Ohio, a whopping 3,000 people took advantage of the controversial early same-day registration and voting over the past week. This was supposed to be where Obama started to close the deal early because of all the huge turnout from young folks etc.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Red Scarlet said:
Oh, voting update..I registered last week and am waiting for my absentee ballot to arrive..but it's for Wyoming so........oh well, gonna vote anyway.

Yeah, I get the west coast feed, which is super annoying as stuff comes on an hour later than it's supposed to. My networks are like that too, which sucks for tv show threads.
If it really bugs you that much, have you thought about switching to DirecTV? They carry the East coast feed for all the cable networks and you can ask for a waiver from the local OTA networks to get the East coast feed if DirecTV doesn't carry your locals and you live too far away from them to receive them OTA.

Crisis

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
Actually I have not been really interested in this presidential run at all and tonight was the first debate that I have watched. I thought McCain was much more knowledgeable on each subject and he showed much more experience. I will give him my vote for the simple fact that he has first hand experience while Obama seems like some kid battling out of college.

So no, I did not have my mind made up a long time ago.

Is it really just so hard to believe that someone on Neogaf isn't praising Obama?

OH REALLY?

Permit me to refer you to a post that you made October 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM EST here on the NeoGAF Forums.

BakedPigeon said:
GO McCAIN

I'm not knocking you for supporting McCain but when you cite this of ALL debates as the one that got you to swing over to his side I'm sorry but that raises every single suspicion I have.

Fatalah

wow, the last debate is next wednesday. NEXT WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 15TH.

so once next week is over..... there's no unifying stage for the presidents to go on where 60 million people can watch them.

the debates have done a good job setting and re-setting the news cycle. i bet october 16th-nov4th will feel SO damn long.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
giga said:
that ass doesn't lie

610x.jpg
McCain: red tie, wife in blue.
Obama: blue tie, wife in red.

I don't know what's worse, all the care the Democrats and Republicans put into their tie color selection, or the fact that the media has made such a big deal about it before that now it's the first thing I notice.

gcubed

Danthrax said:
No, Ohioans at Ohio State University. I think if they went to a non-shitty university in Ohio -- the state has lots of them! -- they would have found smarter people to poll.

as usual, Ohio will choke when it comes time to deliver

lexdysia

Banned
I think McCain saw people's reactions to the bailout and just cherry-picked an idea out of that to appeal to voters to appear more substantive.

Unfortunately, the one he chose (mortgage bailout) undercuts his tax break, Reagan-esque message.

Red Scarlet

Killthee said:
If it really bugs you that much, have you thought about switching to DirecTV? They carry the East coast feed for all the cable networks and you can ask for a waiver from the local OTA networks to get the East coast feed if DirecTV doesn't carry your locals and you live too far away from them to receive them OTA.

I don't think I have a choice at the dorms. At home, it's the same problem, but my mom might be switching to Bresnan instead of the local one, maybe that will have better times. Used to have a satellite, which was nice as it got Eastern channels, so I got stuff 2 hours earlier. The main problem I think is that the local stations go on a west coast feed. Maybe Denver doesn't, but I don't get any channels from there.

Tobor

Sharp said:
In the four largest counties in Ohio, a whopping 3,000 people took advantage of the controversial early same-day registration and voting over the past week. This was supposed to be where Obama started to close the deal early because of all the huge turnout from young folks etc.

And I think we heard that people were turning the offer down due to wanting to vote on the day, at least anecdotally.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
BobTheFork said:
What's up with the early ohio voting that has people bummed out?

Only 3,000 early voters came out in the more populated counties of Ohio. They didn't say exactly which or how many counties that entails, though. Never mind I'm retarded, it was the top four most populated states. So, like, no one early voted.

What people don't get, and I keep trying to tell them, is that Ohioans don't trust their state's voting system. There's a good chance the early voting thing will be declared unconstitutional somehow (state constitution that is) and all those votes will be thrown out. So only the complete dumbasses early voted. Don't worry, Ohioans will vote. They'll just do it on election day.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
mj1108 said:
Maddow just mentioned that McCain didn't use the term "middle class" once..... again.

Holy Crap, I was certain that would have been "fixed" :lol

Trurl

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
It wasn't early voting, it was same day registration voting. And only 3k people did it. Because everyone was scared of getting arrested.
What happened that made people scared of getting arrested?

Zoe

Danthrax said:
No, Ohioans at Ohio State University. I think if they went to a non-shitty university in Ohio -- the state has lots of them! -- they would have found smarter people to poll.

All the smarter people have already decided.

Suikoguy said:
I'm thinking that exit polling will be off more than phone polling.
It's far easier to be honest who are are voting for over the phone if that reason is racial, then in person.
Exit polling is private, there's no explaining yourself to someone.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Holy shit guys. I think I've found what needs to be our "October Surprise".

I was listening to NPR today when they started talking about the role of oil speculators in raising up gas prices. And then I heard a bombshell. Phil "Nation-of-Whiners" Gramm was actively involved in deregulating the commodities market, which let oil speculators run wild.

I couldn't find the exact story on their website, but here's an except from Spinwatch.

Spinwatch said:
http://www.spinwatch.org.uk/latest-news-mainmenu-10/165-energy-industries/5145-how-to-burn-the-speculators

But do supply and demand explain oil prices at $140 per barrel, with voices from Goldman Sachs projecting $200 for next year (a figure that would push gas prices above $5 per gallon) and Russia's Gazprom saying $250, despite a likely US recession? Do they explain the historic price hikes in rice, corn, and wheat, leading to hunger in the developing world? Do they explain the absolutely stratospheric price of copper? No they do not.

Yes, Virginia, speculators can affect the price—if they are large and relentless enough to dominate a market, and especially if they can store the commodity and keep it off the market as the price rises.

Futures markets exist to permit commercial interests to hedge their business risks. For a fee, a farmer (or oil producer) can put a floor under the price at which his product will sell. The forward price is normally a bit lower than the current price, but the contract protects the farmer from a catastrophic price slump—such as may occur in (for instance) bumper years. Speculators buy the futures on the chance that the market price will be substantially higher. They make a respectable profit on what is in effect an insurance function, and a killing in years of drought, flood, and war.

This system works reasonably well so long as speculators do not actually control or manipulate prices. For if they can drive prices way up, they can obviously cash in while the farmer (who has presold his crop) cannot. Strict regulation by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (cftc) is supposed to prevent that.

But thanks to Phil "nation of whiners" Gramm—the former Texas senator who was until recently John McCain's top economic adviser (see "Foreclosure Phil")—futures market regulation went to hell. Under the "Enron loophole" pushed through by Gramm in 2000, energy futures were allowed to escape all federal and state regulation. Gramm embedded that loophole in a surprise 262-page rider, drafted at the behest of Wall Street and Enron, in an 11,000-page appropriations bill on a Friday evening two days after the Supreme Court handed down its Bush v. Gore ruling and as Congress was rushing home for Christmas. In a separate bit of absurdity, in January 2006, the Intercontinental Exchange (ice) of Atlanta, which trades benchmark US oil futures (West Texas Intermediate or wti), came to be treated by the cftc as a British market (the "London loophole") so that US regulators do not even track what is going on. (Even more surreal, the cftc was going to allow trades of US oil futures on terminals located in America to be "regulated" in Dubai; political pressure put an end to that idea in July.)

Worse still, Gramm's Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 also opened the way for growth in deregulated "credit default swaps"—a way in which financial institutions "insured" that bad loans would not cause them losses. This, combined with other deregulatory moves by the cftc, broadened the "swaps loophole," an enormous backdoor into the commodities markets, basically permitting speculators making bets off the commodities exchanges to be treated as "commercial interests"—like say, farmers—and hence avoid the scrutiny (including limits on the size of their bets) normally applied to financial players. Thus today, when officials like Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson say that speculation is not a factor in the commodity markets, they're not counting hedge funds and investment banks as speculators—even though that's what they really are.

According to Senate testimony on June 3 by Michael Greenberger, who used to head the cftc's division of trading and markets, if swaps were properly labeled, about 70 percent of the oil futures now traded on the New York exchanges would be deemed speculative, not commercial, and subjected to a high degree of regulatory scrutiny.

That's right ladies and gentlemen. Not only did Phil Gramm push the deregulation of the banking industry by repealing the Glass-Steagal Act, which helped cause our current housing and banking crisis, not only did Phill Gramm lobby on behalf of Swiss bank UBS, but he was also actively involved in letting speculators run amok and he let them jack the price of oil up to record prices. And not only did that affect gas prices, but the commodities market includes FOOD as well.

And John McCain made this man his Chief Economic Advisor. Gramm was only let go after he called us a "nation of whiners" for complaining about the crisis he helped create.

This needs to be fucking shouted from the rooftops.

Son of Godzilla said:
It wasn't early voting, it was same day registration voting. And only 3k people did it. Because everyone was scared of getting arrested.
Son of a... Why would they gotten arrested? Or why would people think it would happen?

Zeliard

Good god, Fox News is still trying to push this Ayers shit. Now they have Dickless Morris on, contaminating my television.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Son of Godzilla said:
Exit polling is private, there's no explaining yourself to someone.

I thought it was done by people, face to face, versus over the phone.

Kusagari

Gruco said:
Yeah, but is he functionally retarded? Does he know anything about government? Does he understand basic sentence structure? Is he a thug who runs around exacting revenge on his enemies?

Palin's bad for all the fundie reasons, but there's a lot more than that. If Jindal doesn't have the other problems, I could at least understand why the crazies love him while hating him myself.

what

On Jindal said:
As others noted during his 2003 and 2007 gubernatorial campaigns (see update), in an essay Jindal wrote in 1994 for the New Oxford Review, a serious right-wing Catholic journal, Jindal narrated a bizarre story of a personal encounter with a demon, in which he participated in an exorcism with a group of college friends. And not only did they cast out the supernatural spirit that had possessed his friend, Jindal wrote that he believes that their ritual may well have cured her cancer.
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/bobby_jindals_dance_with_the_d.php

Yeah...

gcubed

Suikoguy said:
I thought it was done by people, face to face, versus over the phone.

not anymore, exit polling is a piece of paper now instead of a face to face person asking you a question.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Steve Youngblood said:
Well, then. GAF just got owned.

It's a text message poll. The only people who really bother are Fox News' hardcore and hard-right viewers. It should be taken in the same sense as an internet poll.

The Frankman said:
Fox News has McCain winning the debate 86-12 w/ 1% undecided. Good Lord...

Then again it's Fox News.
It's not even Fox News, it's Hannity's masturbation time. It's a fucking text ur vote in poll, the actual FN thing has Obama winning.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ZealousD said:
Holy shit guys. I think I've found what needs to be our "October Surprise".

I was listening to NPR today when they started talking about the role of oil speculators in raising up gas prices. And then I heard a bombshell. Phil "Nation-of-Whiners" Gramm was actively involved in deregulating the commodities market, which let oil speculators run wild.

I couldn't find the exact story on their website, but here's an except from Spinwatch.

That's right ladies and gentlemen. Not only did Phil Gramm push the deregulation of the banking industry by repealing the Glass-Steagal Act, which helped cause our current housing and banking crisis, not only did Phill Gramm lobby on behalf of Swiss bank UBS, but he was also actively involved in letting speculators run amok and he let them jack the price of oil up to record prices. And not only did that affect gas prices, but the commodities market includes FOOD as well.

And John McCain made this man his Chief Economic Advisor. Gramm was only let go after he called us a "nation of whiners" for complaining about the crisis he helped create.

This needs to be fucking shouted from the rooftops.

Wow. That's nuts. It's like when CSI explains the origin of all the problems in the episode right in the last five minutes, as simple as pie.

Suikoguy

gcubed said:
not anymore, exit polling is a piece of paper now instead of a face to face person asking you a question.

Ah, well ignore my comment then

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I thought each candidate performed about the same. This debate isn't going to change many minds.

I also thought McCain looked really old & tired. This campaign's aged him.

Danthrax said:
Only 3,000 early voters came out in the more populated counties of Ohio. They didn't say exactly which or how many counties that entails, though. Never mind I'm retarded, it was the top four most populated states. So, like, no one early voted.

What people don't get, and I keep trying to tell them, is that Ohioans don't trust their state's voting system. There's a good chance the early voting thing will be declared unconstitutional somehow (state constitution that is) and all those votes will be thrown out. So only the complete dumbasses early voted. Don't worry, Ohioans will vote. They'll just do it on election day.
After 2004, that makes allot of sense. It works out as long as they turn out on election day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom