• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
StoOgE said:
I agree, but I would throw TX into longshot status, probably longer than the other two.

Something in my gut says an Obama wave and turnout will carry bout Musgrove and Franken to wins. That would get us to 58+2. I just really want it to go to 59+1 in the worst way so we can punish Lieberman.

I'll do my best to oust Cornyn, if only to pay him back for making me watch his shitty commercials everyday.

MIMIC

Banned
John McCain:

2ir3l11.gif

Loki

Count of Concision
Slurpy said:
Can someone explain to me what the fuck happened here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0iI...45/1003/623445

It seems like McCain tapped Obama, wanting Obama to think that Cindy actually tapped him. Which is why he pointed at her when Obama tried to shake his hand. Ive watched it several times and it becomes funnier everytime you watch it.

What the hell? Obama clearly extended his hand to McCain and McCain just brushed him aside. That's totally disrespectful. Combined with him not being willing to look directly at Obama in the first debate, and tonight's "that one" gaffe, it paints a troubling picture of either snobbishness or an inability/unwillingness to rise above the day-to-day affairs of the campaign and show respect for your opponent.

Poor conduct imo. Not as a presidential candidate, mind you, but as a human being.

Marvie_3

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's nice to see, and would be even nicer if the world wasn't going to shit all around us. Any chance Franken could close the gap in the final days and make it 57-42-2?
Franken will most likely win. There isn't a lot of support up here for Coleman other than the Repub. base. I see a lot more Franken signs, buttons, and stickers everywhere.....not that it's what I'm basing it on, but he seems to have a lot more support here. Minnesota is generally a state that really doesn't like negative campaigning. Pretty much every Coleman ad is attack, attack, attack.....no issues whatsoever. Some of the ads Coleman has been running lately are downright vile....much worse than the garbage McCain/Palin have been running. I can definately see that contributing to Coleman's slide recently in the polls. Plus, as someone already said, a big Obama turnout could really trickle down and help Franken as well.

mckmas8808 said:
It's like the Northeast and the blue midwestern states expanded thier borders, meeting in the middle and forming one big super-region, wow.

If a realignment happens, I can see the mountain west as the last refuge of the GOP. The deep south isn't for them since Florida+Illinois+Virginia's influence will squeeze it from all sides.

blame space said:
"What I don't know is what the unexpected will be."

-John McCain

Quoting myself for no other reason than WTF HOW ARE THOSE THE FIRST WORDS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH? YOU HAD THE ENTIRE TIME OBAMA WAS TALKING HIS WAY OUT OF THAT BULLSHIT SOFTBALL QUESTION TO THINK OF SOMETHING AND THIS IS WHAT YOU COME UP WITH?

I'm not even sure it makes sense.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
titiklabingapat said:
It's like the Northeast and the blue midwestern states expanded thier borders, meeting in the middle and forming one big super-region, wow.

If a realignment happens, I can see the mountain west as the last refuge of the GOP. The deep south isn't for them since Florida+Illinois+Virginia's influence will squeeze it from all sides.
What? The Mountain West is no where near the GOP"s last refuse.

Tamanon

Banned
blame space said:
Quoting myself for no other reason than WTF HOW ARE THOSE THE FIRST WORDS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH? YOU HAD THE ENTIRE TIME OBAMA WAS TALKING HIS WAY OUT OF THAT BULLSHIT SOFTBALL QUESTION TO THINK OF SOMETHING AND THIS IS WHAT YOU COME UP WITH?

I'm not even sure it makes sense.

Obviously it's because his original answer "There are known knowns and unknown knowns" wasn't polling well for some reason.

grandjedi6 said:
Out of all the regions though, it seems like Obama is stalling in the mountain west. Obama is doing very well in the red midwest, gaining in the south and mid-atlantic states but struggling to make ground in the square states outside of NM and CO.

But then again, they have relatively low EV so it probably just means that the Obama campaign never had those states in their crosshairs.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
titiklabingapat said:
Out of all the regions though, it seems like Obama is stalling in the mountain west. Obama is doing very well in the red midwest, gaining in the south and mid-atlantic states but struggling to make ground in the square states outside of NM and CO.

But then again, they have relatively low EV so it probably just means that the Obama campaign never had those states in their crosshairs.
Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico are all turning blue this year. And the prairie states and south are staying red this year. So....

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, yes this is incredibly mean, but if you want to liven the debate up, since it was pretty dull and boring, make hydraulic noises whenever McCain walks around and moves his arms robotically.

Hellcrow

Hey guys, I got a little interesting question.

Can criminals vote? Is there some statistic on what party different criminals vote? Feks, do most murderers vote Democrats or Republican?

Tamanon

Banned
Hellcrow said:

Can criminals vote? Is there some statistic on what party different criminals vote? Feks, do most murderers vote Democrats or Republican?

Some states allow felons to vote, some don't. No real party numbers.

CzarTim

Hellcrow said:

Depends on the state I think.

terrene

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Well yes and no. Utah is, bizarrely, the reddest state in the Union (if it counts). However as a region of the U.S., the mountain west pales in comparison to the deep south - the L-shaped red cock of death that starts in Kansas, goes through Oklahoma to Texas, and stretches from there all the way to the Atlantic.

Hellcrow said:

Most murderers vote Democrat.
[/jaydubya]

wow, Claire McCaskill is a badass:

[Senator] McCaskill was stepping out of her chair at the end of an MSNBC interview, and Romney was up next. She and a staffer unplugged her various wires, and she handed Romney the earpiece the guests use to hear the host.

"I spit on this before I put it in," she said to Romney, with a sweet smile.

She's been one of Obama's first and best surrogates, and she's a badass to boot. Awesome.

ToxicAdam

Just zoomed through the debate in about 25 minutes (was easy to do). McCain laid big eggs out there tonight. His "message" is just a giant, bi-polar mess. You can't be a populist and defend the status quo in the same speech. Especially when that status quo is viewed with such historical levels of contempt and apathy.

I speak to a lot of people about politics and their viewpoints. I have met very few people genuinely excited about McCain or his presidency. It's the same kind of feeling I got from people that would talk about John Kerry in 2004. They are more focused on the fear-mongering aspects of "the other guy" than what their candidate is about. Conversely, I have met a ton of people that are excited for Obama.

That's why I hope Obama wins (even though I won't vote). The economy is largely fueled by optimism and the illusion that "things will be ok". It's what motivates people to earn more money and spend it, instead of hoarde it. An Obama presidency will at least give a good portion of our population some confidence or hope that things will get better. Although, with the global nature of our economy, I'm not sure that is the kind of salve that it used to be.

CzarTim

Unless we invade Iran or Obama announces he's going to leave Michelle for Elton John, is there even the slightest chance for McCain? Seems like the campaign is circling the drain.

Iksenpets

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

It's their strongest region if you ignore Colorado and Montana. Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho are probably the three strongest Republican states out there. Even the Southern states can be won by centrist, Southern Democrats, with the exceptions of Alabama and South Carolina, probably. I mean, Bill Clinton won Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Georgia in '92, and carried all of them again except Georgia in '96. And the Dems are on the verge of picking up a Senate seat out of Mississippi. You'd never see that happening in that trio of Mountain West states.

Indigo

Zeliard said:
I felt bad for McCain for much of this campaign, as I used to like him quite a bit (as far as Republicans go), and I don't feel that he believes a lot of the bullshit he's spurted out the past several months (not that this necessarily the greatest quality).

After the Palin pick however, and the recent increasingly desperate and mean-spirited tone his campaign has undertaken, I don't feel sorry for the man at all and welcome Obama's impending win with glee.

You can thank a gentleman by the name of Steven Schmidt for the change in McCain's campaign and the choice of Palin as VP.

Sleeker

I didnt see the thing until now where McCain refused to shake Obamas hand at the end (his wife was good enough for that job) and left early while Obama hung around to talk to the crowd.

He fucking hates Obama.

czartim said:
Unless we invade Iran or Obama announces he's going to leave Michelle for Elton John, is there even the slightest chance for McCain? Seems like the campaign is circling the drain.
It needs to be flushed down, it is getting quite stinky lately.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Sleeker said:
I didnt see the thing until now where McCain refused to shake Obamas hand at the end (his wife was good enough for that job) and left early while Obama hung around to talk to the crowd.

He fucking hates Obama.

Fine by me. The transition from "tight race" to "watching McCain squirm" has kept this election enjoyable throughout.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Sleeker said:

He fucking hates Obama.

To be fair to McCain, they shook hands just as the debate ended. It was when they both blocked Tom Brokaws Teleprompter.

Darth Sonik said:
To be fair to McCain, they shook hands just as the debate ended. It was when they both blocked Tom Brokaws Teleprompter.

He also scampered quickly out of the way like a startled puppy. :lol

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Fragamemnon said:
Yup, make no mistake Schmidt is the fall guy here.

Assuming McCain loses, what are the odds he talks publicly about how he regrets the tone his campaign took and how it was all these advisers and gosh, he really didn't want things to be that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom