• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

StoOgE said:
I dont believe they will actually *call* the race officially until they project enough states for Obama to win.

So that would mean the California/Washington/etc polls would have to close so that they can actually call those races.

Now, for our purposes? Va + PA = Obamamania. It's completely 100% over if those two states go. If NC goes Obama then it's blowout time.

yup, they wont call a state until the polling closes... CA will be called the minute the polling closes, but they cant call it until then.

But yes, for the general publics use, if PA and VA, FL or OH are called before the west coast closes, and Obama has them one, its over.

Raw64life

Similar to the Prop 8 thread, I'm not all that into politics, and while I do prefer Obama over McCain, part of me wants to see McCain win just to read the legendary meltdowns that would take place on GAF.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Jesus Christ, people. McCain would need to win all of southeast PA's votes in order to win. Last president to do that was H.W. Bush. Not going to happen, especially with the influx of new registered Democrats.
But what if McCain does this?

WaltJay

Crisco said:
If PA and VA get called for Obama early, it's over.

Cool. I'm trying to figure out what time Obama will be making an appearance at tomorrow's night rally. From what I've read, he's not going to address the rally until the race is called. Good thing they'll have some vendors there, else I might get hungry!

gcubed said:
Just heard a radio ad that said "Obama is planning on new spending of over a trillion dollars, how is he going to pay for it? Obama and congressional democrats have guaranteed that the burden will be passed to you, the working public, by saying they are going to raise taxes on everyone making over $42,000. "
I heard almost that exact same ad yesterday, except it didn't say Obama's name for some reason. They just said 'Congressional liberals' over and over. I think it was a Bob Schieffer ad.

Crisco

Banned
Raw64life said:
Similar to the Prop 8 thread, I'm not all that into politics, and while I do prefer Obama over McCain, part of me wants to see McCain win just to read the legendary meltdowns that would take place on GAF.

People need to stop saying this. It would be like hoping for another hurricane to hit New Orleans just to watch the news coverage. We're not talking about meaningless gaming age bullshit here, no one in the real world actually gives a fuck that FFXIII is going to be on the 360. This truly is serious business.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
WaltJay said:
Cool. I'm trying to figure out what time Obama will be making an appearance at tomorrow's night rally. From what I've read, he's not going to address the rally until the race is called. Good thing they'll have some vendors there, else I might get hungry!

Yes, you will need to wait until the West coast polls to close before Obama speaks, that will be around 11-12 CST.

Xisiqomelir

Fox318 said:
%7be059769a-d478-4369-a941-46ccac9ee24f%7d.gif

:lol

lawblob said:
Good Lord....

I for one welcome our new Democrat overlords.

hail-ants.PNG

Um that was a joke on jumping to conclusions but in this case...

Anyway had a question. What happens to the money that does not get spent campaigning? Seems like Obama is going to end up with quite the surplus right?

Crisco said:
People need to stop saying this. It would be like hoping for another hurricane to hit New Orleans just to watch the news coverage. We're not talking about meaningless gaming age bullshit here, no one in the real world actually gives a fuck that FFXIII is going to be on the 360. This truly is serious business.

Jeez, no kidding.

Some of us need to step awaaaaay from our computers once in a while.

The fate of the entire world is at stake here.

Evlar

Banned
If Obama wins it will be the triumph of small donors over large donors- one facet of the smartest campaign of my lifetime.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My favorite recent one was McCain still blabbering on about how "you can't buy an election" even though his campaign has been bragging all weekend about all the money it will be pouring into TV ads in an attempt to make up ground. Seriously, do people within that campaign not communicate with each other at all? Did they not have the cash to shell out for at least a Ventrilo server?

What time are we expecting the race to be called?
I have class tomorrow night from ~730-1020 Eastern.
I have to give a short speech for my grade, but then technically I can leave. If I do leave, I best I can do in the class is a B because the professor takes attendance and I already missed my one class. However, I already know by the grades that I'm going to get a 'B' in the class anyways. I can't miss the election being called and the reactions, I just CAN'T. AHHH what to do....

Good news for you guys,

only 2 polls got the OHIO primary between Clinton and Obama right. those were SurveyUSA and PPP

SurveyUSA has Obama up 4 in OHIO
PPP has Obama up 6 in OHIO

BobTheFork said:
I have to give a short speech for my grade, but then technically I can leave. If I do leave, I best I can do in the class is a B because the professor takes attendance and I already missed my one class. However, I already know by the grades that I'm going to get a 'B' in the class anyways. I can't miss the election being called and the reactions, I just CAN'T. AHHH what to do....
Clone yourself and have him stand in for you.

Good news from Pennsylvania, only 1 pollster even came close to getting it right in the Primaries between Obama and Hillary and it was Zogby.

This time Zogby has Obama winning Pennsylvania by 14 points

Cheebs

artredis what the fuck are you doing. you keep posting the same post 3 times in a row but switch the state. You really didn't need separate posts for that.

thefro

StoOgE said:
Yes, you will need to wait until the West coast polls to close before Obama speaks, that will be around 11-12 CST.

It'd be pretty awesome if Hawaii being called put him over 270

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Sharp said:
This week is going to play havoc with my GPA.
Yeah, have another paper to write this week (something on the EU's inability to forge a distinct foreign and security policy) that won't get done at all. And I already received a one week extension!

soul creator said:
THIS IS A CENTER RIGHT NATION!
We need a better punditocracy.

gkryhewy

Cheebs said:
artredis what the fuck are you doing. you keep posting the same post 3 times in a row but switch the state. You really didn't need separate posts for that.

Where have you been? He's been doing that since the spring. I think he's just a bot.

Ace 8095

BobTheFork said:
If there is a chance you will get an A stay in class, if not and B the highest you can get leave early. If leaving early could by some off chance result in C stay in class.

gcubed

BobTheFork said:
I already have a clone, but he's and ass and he can't be trusted...

Unless its just an amazing sweeping blowout, CA will most likely put him over the top, so whenever that closes.

Cheebs said:

Further good news from Florida! only Rasmussen got it right in the primaries if there was any, he had Clinton winning by 19 points, she actually won by 16, he has Obama winning by 4 points in the Presidential

artredis1980 said:
Some good news from Montana, nearly 180,000 people have voted in Montana, thats roughtly 40% of the total vote in 2004 where a total of 450,000 people voted.

Obama leads 61 to 35 among those 180,000 people

thats nearly 110,000 voted for Obama and 63,000 for McCain

so for the 270,000 voters for election day, its estimated McCain leads Obama 53 to 40

that means McCain is projected to have a total of 206,000 votes

and Obama is projected to have a total of 218,000 votes

thats extremely close, but for McCain its even closer because not all of those 53% may show up to vote and Obamas GOTV effort might top him over in montana

This is excellent news and shows a real shift in the electorate. I predicted Montana would be the surprise state Obama would win (well before he was close in the polls) so it's nice to see him in a good position there.

Also, that Gallup gave me a hopegasm. At work! This is not good for my standing in the office.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
scorcho said:
if PA doesn't Gobama I'm personally going to say very bad things about the state.
Have just the slightest bit of sympathy for us, please. Both campaigns have been hammering the door-to-door routine waaay to heavily in the past week. This weekend in particular was annoying and I could see how some people would end up put off by all the solicitation.

This weekend's tally:

3 in-person visits by Obama volunteers
1 Obama volunteer apparently missed us and left a flyer on our door
Phone call on my cellphone from Obama campaign, reminding me where to vote
Phone call on landline from Obama campaign, FIVE MINUTES LATER, same call
2 in-person visits by Obama volunteers
Flyers in the mail (both campaigns)

I'm more annoyed at the Obama camp (don't worry, still voting for him) because, I thought his GOTV machine was using technology more smartly than this. Like, recording that they already had my support WEEKS AGO and at least foregoing all the in-person visits. I'm fine with the reminder about where to vote on Tuesday but shouldn't have been necessary on both my registered numbers.

artredis1980 said:
Bad news, only 1 poll got it rightin the NC primary and that was Zogby

This time around Zogby has McCain winning by 1 point in NC

538 predicted NC and Indiana correctly in the primary.

Ace 8095 said:
If there is a chance you will get an A stay in class, if not and B the highest you can get leave early. If leaving early could by some off chance result in C stay in class.
Well, the B isn't going anywhere, I just know I can't pull it up with the last speech alone. But honestly, when might this be called? I know we'll be getting in the first results as I go to class, but I'm almost sure this landslide will be over before I get out.

Cheebs said:

The election drove him insane about 2 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom