• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valth0nis

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."²

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.

Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,

From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

1jupgx.jpg

BobLoblaw

Banned
Just wanted to thank GAF for all of the greatness this last year and all of the fond memories. Kudos to ALL of those out there that contributed to the campaign both directly and indirectly. We did it! We won!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
YEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

To think I was about to go to bed - it has finally happened!

It happened MLK!

Incredible - INCREDIBLE!

OBAMA CHANGE HAS COME-A!

effzee

i hear tons of horns here in QUEENS NYC!

this one goes out to to the hot girl i met today while voting but lost in the crowd afterwards! WE DID IT!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Anyone watching fox news right now? I want to see them squirm right now. :lol :lol :lol
BTW Amirox, change the thread title already with the words "Official".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Soon, yes, very soon, our long natiional nightmare will be at and end, it feels like a bright and beautiful tomorrow.

JaY P.

All I can say is YES WE CAN! YES WE DID!

This proves to me, and the rest of the world, that democracy works. This is a truly historic moment not just for the nation but the world!

Congratulations President-Elect Barack Obama!

TDG

Banned
I just can't speak. This is just amazing. So much hyperbole to throw around, so little time! And the thing is, this isn't going to be a victory, by the end, this will be a landslide! He's going to win Indiana, NC, Florida, Nevada, and Hawaii. :D :D :D

This is going to be amazing to tell my grandchildren about, that's for sure. What a moment in our history.

Another random Post from Hot Air.

Oink: blacks have been voting (D) for years. They turned their back on the party that gave them their freedom, and on the party that fought against Jim Crow.

And what have they gotten from the Democrats for their overwhelming loyalty? Nothing. They’re still poor, undereducated, more likely to be victims of crime. And now they’ve elected B. Obama, a Hawaiian ivy-leaguer. Maybe, just maybe, in 4 years the scales will finally fall from their eyes.

hawksruleva on November 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Once again these are the people on the other side.

KingGondo

Banned
Congrats to the Obama supporters, I only ask that you put him under the same level of scrutiny you would any other politician once he's in office (and the honeymoon's over).

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and I hope he does a good job. At least it looks like Dems won't get 60 seats in the Senate... thank God.

kaskade

When I went on msnbc and saw the huge Obama wins I started to tear up. I can't can;t remember a time when I was truly that happy.

Az

I am very honored to be here with you guys witnessing this great moment in US history. I am proud to say that Barrack Obama will be my president, and I am proud to have become a US citizen last year.

As a Bosnian-American I fully support Obama.

My wife lost her job today but I am very, very happy and believe this is one of my happiest days.

Thank you

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There are huge numbers of students on broadway now whooping it up....I think I am going to go join them now :D :D :D :D

good night poligaf :D

Jasoco

Banned
I am soooo happy. Soooooo happy.

This means I don't have to figure out how to move to Canada in the next two months. Now I don't have to worry.

Happy, happy. Joy, joy.

After being on pins and needles all day long, I'm finally glad that I can now call Sen. Barack Obama "President-Elect".

Congrats America, we did it! :D

Gonaria said:
Things aren't looking good for Franken in MN. He is still winning by a little bit, but most of the votes left are probably from the rural areas
We'll see soon enough. I hope he pulls through, it'd stick such a thorn into Fox's side.

Hootie

9zvf39.gif

HE TOOK ON THE CLINTON MACHINE AND WON

HE TOOK ON THE REPUBLICAN MACHINE AND WON

HE FOUGHT THROUGH THE SMEARS AND THE ATTACKS, AND PREVAILED

I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY RIGHT NOW GAF!!

PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR THE GIF I JUST HAD TO POST IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom