• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America (OBAMA ELECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
btw am i the only one that didn't think jesse jackson's tears were legit? it looked like he was forcing those tears. after all he is now gonna have to align himself with obama if he wants to have any influence. after those comments he made about obama i bet he wants to make up as quickly as possible.

Marvie_3

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yep, MO is a done deal for McCain.

Looks like Obama's final count is 364-365 (if he really did get Omaha).
Still a damn good night for Obama. Would have been crazy to see him hit 400 but that was a bit of a reach...

Althane

Dude, I don't think ANYTHING about Jesse Jackson is legit.

I dislike that guy almost as much as I dislike Biden. (whattt? He comes of as a whiney arrogant SOB to me!)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Swing State Project said:
James L.: Alaska: 72% in, and Stevens leads by 48-46. Young is smacking Berkowitz by 51-44. I always warned people that we should never underestimate the GOP's ability to rally around their own in Alaska, but I have to admit -- I underestimated it.
29ypqc8.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

NEXT, the first Puerto Rican please (ME!)

GhaleonEB

Shirokun said:
Merkley and Begich are up slightly. It's gonna be close. 59 seats is in reach(60 if the GA early vote comes through!)
What site are you using? I'm on cnn.com and they have both behind slightly.

smurfx said:
btw am i the only one that didn't think jesse jackson's tears were legit? it looked like he was forcing those tears. after all he is now gonna have to align himself with obama if he wants to have any influence. after those comments he made about obama i bet he wants to make up as quickly as possible.
I dunno, I saw him live on TV crying twice -- 30 minutes apart. If they were fake, he's got skill.

Althane

BlueTsunami said:
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

NEXT, the first Puerto Rican please (ME!)

Sorry, got another Puerto Rican I'd vote for over you. But we'll see.

smurfx said:

Quit being so cynical.

Bishman said:
Obama only lost Texas by 10 points.

We have a new swing state! Every 2 - 4 years that pass, Texas will get closer to turning purple then blue.
Eh, I'm less optimistic about that than I was yesterday. There's simply not enough population centers to balance out the rural vote, and even the ones that are there aren't anywhere near being Dem strongholds. Hell, half of them didn't come close to going Dem this year. What happened to Denton? Or fucking anything north of El Paso aside from Dallas?

Marvie_3 said:
Uh yeah I know...I live in MN. Star Tribune is way behind now. CNN was behind by a good half hour earlier.....apparently the other way around now..
Is this any better?

Independence DEAN BARKLEY 413828 15.22
Republican NORM COLEMAN 1146415 42.16
Democratic-Farmer-Labor AL FRANKEN 1134876 41.74

segarr

Cheesemeister said:
Talk about hypocrisy! Nobody cares if you're butt-hurt over your ballot issue going the way you didn't want; blasting a racial slur like that will win neither you nor your cause any allies. And if you want your cause to advance, you'll need all the allies you can get.

Has there even been polling data on Prop 8 yet? He's being a bit premature I'd say, the entire nation, unfortunately, is still rather homophobic. And even if blacks are more conservative on the issue, it's not like we are the sole cause of this.

segarr said:
Although I missed a lot I was lucky to witness this.

Absofuckinglutely amazing. People need to understand that these two are never going to view things the same, but to say that Jackson simply doesn't care, even with all of his faults, to say that he's just a selfish "race pimp", is fucking ridiculous, and anyone who saw that emotion from him tonight knows this.

On the same token, I hope that some can see how a man like Obama can tolerate a Jackson, or a Wright.....it's just something you get or you don't.

Jesse Jackson started off with a noble mission, but he abandoned it long ago while promoting and funding himself. However, he did start off on the right foot and has been through shit that I can't even imagine, so I guess I should look past my contempt and give him the benefit of the doubt for one night.

With that said, Obama won despite "leaders" like him and Sharpton, not because of their help. Obama crosses boundaries while those two have just raised them over the past decade or two. Obama refused to make race a subject while they built their lives around making race a subject. That's why Obama has my respect and they never will.

Kettch

Obviously the wrong way to express it, but I think Greenpanda's anger is pretty understandable with African Americans going 70-30 to strip away his marriage rights. Hopefully things will turn around soon enough so we can have equal rights for everyone.

This is such a awesome day/night/morning. Fox News even seemed to be humbled by the impact this election had on this country and world.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Is there some kind of award they can give Nate Silver? Or a building they can name after him or something? A night in the Lincoln bedroom?

FiveThirtyEight was my absolute favorite site for politics these last however many months. Great reporting and commentary from Nate and Sean, and some damn fine photos from Brett. I'll be interested to see how Nate's model compared to the final results - it certainly looks like he freaking nailed it.

DEO3

KRS7 said:
Wow, Oklahoma (66/34) has a bigger McCain margin that Utah (63 / 34). Utah for Christ sakes. Is Oklahoma now the most republican state?

It sure as hell isn't Indiana anymore.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I live in North Western Indiana and I contributed to the "combo breaker!". :lol

I told you guys he would win Indiana when I witnessed the turnout of the rally he had here on Friday. Michael Jackson in the early 90's didn't even have that kind of turnout and he's FROM here!

Bagels said:
Is there some kind of award they can give Nate Silver? Or a building they can name after him or something? A night in the Lincoln bedroom?

FiveThirtyEight was my absolute favorite site for politics these last however many months. Great reporting and commentary from Nate and Sean, and some damn fine photos from Brett. I'll be interested to see how Nate's model compared to the final results - it certainly looks like he freaking nailed it.
Nate gave McCain Indiana.

May we burn him?

Shirokun said:
Decriminalization of possession of less than an ounce in Mass. It passed, I believe.

Son of Godzilla said:
Michigan and Massachusettess both passed minor possession allowances I think. I think some other state passed a medicinal law too.

Marvie_3 said:
I think it was Mass. that passed a law changing the punishment to a mere $100 fine if you're caught with less than 1oz of weed

Good stuff all around. +1 for Mary Jane. :D

dammitmattt said:
Jesse Jackson started off with a noble mission, but he abandoned it long ago while promoting and funding himself. However, he did start off on the right foot and has been through shit that I can't even imagine, so I guess I should look past my contempt and give him the benefit of the doubt for one night.

With that said, Obama won despite "leaders" like him and Sharpton, not because of their help. Obama crosses boundaries while those two have just raised them over the past decade or two. Obama refused to make race a subject while they built their lives around making race a subject. That's why Obama has my respect and they never will.

MLK made race a subject. There are times to make it a subject. Thats the purpose they served during that time. Obama is of a different generation which would be better served to move past intense racial awareness. Jackson has served the black community greatly; he was the hero they needed for that time.

Bagels said:

$$$$$$$$$$$

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So Missouri closed within around a 5,000 vote margin with 2,876,000 voters. That's a percentage margin of 0.1%.

Fucking insane.

dammitmattt said:

You have to realize that for Jackson and Sharpton, they had resigned themselves to the fact that this country would NEVER do this. NEVER EVER EVER do this. Resigned to using more divisive than real inclusive politics as the only true route to power for African Americans. You could feel the shock in Jackson's eyes and his tears. It was extremely complex and moving.

GhaleonEB

Obama's national lead is over six million votes now. Looks like when all of Cali comes in he'll be up about seven million, and a ~6% spread.

Rasmussen and the R2K/Kos poll was right on, Gallup blew it big time. 0_0

The Crimson Blur said:
Aw come on, Jesse Jackson's tears were real. He gets a bad rap for little reason. I like him.

Have you been in a coma recently? He gets a bad rap for very good reason. Thank God that Obama has just undone all of the bad will that the Jackson/Sharpton combo stirred up over the years. It's amazing that they never understood that solely making race an issue would never be a successful tactic.

what a night, what a fucking night it has been....my god, part of history. waking up at the start of a new day, november 5th, 2008...when hope and change won over fear and hate.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
But those figures included fewer results from metro Atlanta and apparently none of the ballots cast in metro Atlanta during massive early and advance voting. More than 600,000 ballots cast before Tuesday in Cobb, Fulton, DeKalb and Gwinnett were to be counted after the live Tuesday votes.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/11/04/georgia_presidential_voting.html
Georgia Senate is pretty likely to go to a run-off now :D

Now if only Minn, Oregon and ughh, Alaska can pull it through

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Shame, Shame about Missouri. After witnessing that 100,000 person rally I felt he'd win it.

Oh, and that likely Ted Stevens win in Alaska just goes to show how little Palin's election to Governor means, and her '80%' approval rating, what the GOP constantly raved about. If a freshly convicted Felon can get elected there, in this political climate, what does that tell you?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Son of Godzilla said:
Nate gave McCain Indiana.

May we burn him?

After looking at the ground game (I almost typed that as "gourd game," which is kind of awesome), Sean argued that Obama would win the day. So I don't totally count it against Nate. Also, 538 was the first place I saw that really believed Indiana was in play, several weeks back.

Speevy

Banned
What if McCain had said "The failure is mine, not yours." followed by "You know, I take that back, it's yours. I'm a fighter. You failed tonight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom