• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

BenjaminBirdie said:
Why? It's pretty much the only evenhanded show left that's actually not dead boring.

Chuck said that if that insane USA Today poll was right, you'd see it in the 18 Battleground states and McCain wouldn't be in Missouri today and Obama wouldn't be in Michigan, trying to shore up votes. Both camps know it's a dead heat.

I just don't really like Joe. I don't necessarily buy Chuck's logic, although I agree with his conclusion. After all, if either candidate was up massively, what would they do - just pack up and go home?

HylianTom

Banned
gcubed said:
so, can we stop being like cheebs circa feb and step back from the cliff?

Never at the cliff here. This is the best polling McCain will see all year, and he's barely above Obama. And we still have an unknown turnout/registration factor somewhere, supposedly. Makes me giggle a bit.

Zeliard

AniHawk said:
The GOP still controls so much, it's scary. They can get their hypocritical messages out there, that Palin's grandbaby is actually a good thing, when they would tear apart Obama for the same.

Bill Maher in the last Real Time episode brought up the fact (yes, fact) that Obama would be brutalized if it was his (black) daughter who came home pregnant. And also Bristol's boyfriend's MySpace post, where he talks about being a "fucking redneck" who kicks ass, or whatever, and how if the dude was black and talking shit like that, the media (especially right-wing) and the GOP would be all over it. So damn true.

gkrykewy said:
I just don't really like Joe. I don't necessarily buy Chuck's logic, although I agree with his conclusion. After all, if either candidate was up massively, what would they do - just pack up and go home?

They wouldn't spend money in battleground states.

Zeliard said:
Bill Maher in the last Real Time episode brought up the fact (yes, fact) that Obama would be brutalized if it was his (black) daughter who came home pregnant. And also Bristol's boyfriend's MySpace post, where he talks about being a "fucking redneck" who kicks ass, or whatever, and how if the dude was black and talking shit like that, the media (especially right-wing) and the GOP would be all over it. So damn true.

yea, "fucking redneck" for "fucking gangsta/thug" would have went over extremely well. Even if they both happened at the same time the black would likely get more attention, and any analysis of the obvious would likely be "playing the race card". Ah well...

Zeliard

JayDubya said:
a) Animals do / should not have, nor do they deserve legal rights, as such, I can see no justification for making harming your own animal illegal

What the fuck is the mentality behind this? Pets aren't a piece of furniture.

I don't know why people follow polls so closely. They're worthless. These "national" polls that come out every day and such...Why bother? They change every fucking day. They prove nothing.

The only time to start following polls is after the the vp debates, down to the last 2 weeks is the best time to focus in on state to state polls and not national.

GhaleonEB

ToyMachine228 said:
I don't know why people follow polls so closely. They're worthless. These "national" polls that come out every day and such...Why bother? They change every fucking day. They prove nothing.
The trends over the course of a week can be indicitive of movement. Following the daily movement and making conclusions is silly, though.

And just as national polling at the height of Obama's bounce isn't useful, neither is polling at the height of McCain's. Around this coming weekend I expect things to stablize. If they don't, I'll start to worry a touch.

GhaleonEB

Man. First Read's coundowns make me realize how close all the stuff really is.

Countdown to the first presidential debate: 18 days
Countdown to the vice presidential debate: 24 days
Countdown to the second presidential debate 29 days
Countdown to the third presidential debate: 37 days
Countdown to Election Day 2008: 57 days

Just over two weeks until the first debate.

gkryhewy

GhaleonEB said:
Man. First Read's coundowns make me realize how close all the stuff really is.

Countdown to the first presidential debate: 18 days
Countdown to the vice presidential debate: 24 days
Countdown to the second presidential debate 29 days
Countdown to the third presidential debate: 37 days
Countdown to Election Day 2008: 57 days

Just over two weeks until the first debate.

Are there two traditional debates and one town hall?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
woxel1 said:
I'm no biology major, and maybe this sounds odd in the case of humans, but the fact that a developing organism is incapable of reproduction means that it doesn't fulfill all the criteria of "life."

Ok, I was catching up with the thread, and I don't know if this was addressed but.....wtf? My 2 year old daughter is incapable of reproduction. Is this guy for real?

Zeliard

What do you guys think the actual impact of the Biden-Palin debate will be? There's no doubt he will crush her from an issues standpoint, but how will it reverberate among the electorate?

gkrykewy said:
An arrogant human-centered view of the universe and a complete lack of empathy?

Clearly so.

Gruco

Banned
JayDubya said:
Yeah, all the women's body stuff? In one ear and out the other. I have no interest in that side topic. I support gender equity. I support women's rights. That has nothing to do with abortion. Tangential BS coopted by feminist radicals trying to accuse people of misogyny when they have a legitimate concern about the rights of all human beings.
I'm assuming you're familiar with Judith Jarvis Thompson? Is this also your position on the society of music lovers?

Also, I know my "no sexual reproduction" argument is absurd and borderline dickish, but I'm genuinely curious to see where it goes, if you'll indulge me.

thefro

HylianTom said:
If I recall correctly, Indiana is one of the first states to close its polls. Networks usually call it in favor of the Republican candidate right away.

In 2000, Bush won by 16% over Gore.
In 2004, Bush won by 21% over Kerry.

Current polling has Obama down by single-digits. If Obama can get within 10%, he's in good shape for the rest of the night. If he's within 5%, he's in great shape. And if he wins, open a bottle of bubbly and start celebrating right away - it'll be a short night.

Indiana will probably be one of the last states if it's fairly close because Gary always comes in really late. They didn't call Indiana in the primary until 1 am-ish.

You can't do a thing in Indiana without having 1 Democrat and 1 Republican together doing it so it really slows things down.

gkryhewy

Zeliard said:
What do you guys think the actual impact of the Biden-Palin debate will be? There's no doubt he will crush her from an issues standpoint, but how will it reverberate among the electorate?

I don't see it having much of an impact, with the exception of (hopefully) making her positions on the issues more clear. I think there's a lot of people interested in her celebrity who don't understand quite how conservative she is. To the extent that that can become more apparent, it could have a significant impact on swing voters.

Soybean

stressboy said:
You panic over Wii sales?
Well, I worried about whether Wii would succeed prior to its launch. Clearly I was worrying for nothing.

As far as the VP debate, Biden will be brilliant, but Palin will make some snarky, sarcastic comment and win over everybody. I think we discussed earlier that Biden needs to make his answers more succinct. Palin will talk about mooseburgers and she'll be fawned upon.

gcubed said:
so, can we stop being like cheebs circa feb and step back from the cliff?

I'm already falling.

I should be getting a call from Obama's local campaign office sometime this week to start my volunteer work. I'm hoping to put in 10+ hours a week until November. At bare minimum at least that much work until voter registration is over.

VanMardigan said:
Ok, I was catching up with the thread, and I don't know if this was addressed but.....wtf? My 2 year old daughter is incapable of reproduction. Is this guy for real?

Hahaha, I wonder if he even took any biology classes. You daughter actually does reproduce... daily. She reproduces new cells as she grows and continues to function. Earlier guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

GhaleonEB

MSNBC:

msnbccompare.jpg

Our liberal media, at work.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/214545.php

gkryhewy

Intrade moving sharply toward McCain. That bothers me a lot more than polls.

Obama down today from 56.6 to 51.6, and McCain up from 43.5 to 47.8.

EDIT: Iowa Elections Market not as much - still 56 to 44 in the presidential winner take all.

minus_273

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
yea, "fucking redneck" for "fucking gangsta/thug" would have went over extremely well. Even if they both happened at the same time the black would likely get more attention, and any analysis of the obvious would likely be "playing the race card". Ah well...

how on earth is being a redneck anyway at the same level as being a gangster/thug? redneck does not mean you are a criminal.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkrykewy said:
I don't see it having much of an impact, with the exception of (hopefully) making her positions on the issues more clear. I think there's a lot of people interested in her celebrity who don't understand quite how conservative she is. To the extent that that can become more apparent, it could have a significant impact on swing voters.

Here's the problem I see. Palin will probably try to unleash one-liners, zingers, or memorable lines that will likely be the talk the following day, like at the RNC (pitbull, mayor with responsibilities etc.). In that way, she will effectively "win" the debate, even if she never digs down to talk policy and issues in depth. She's charismatic enough and has good stage presence. She certainly won't allow Biden to control the narrative, that's the only way she can be seen as being competent in the debates.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
Here's the problem I see. Palin will probably try to unleash one-liners, zingers, or memorable lines that will likely be the talk the following day, like at the RNC (pitbull, mayor with responsibilities etc.). In that way, she will effectively "win" the debate, even if she never digs down to talk policy and issues in depth. She's charismatic enough and has good stage presence. She certainly won't allow Biden to control the narrative, that's the only way she can be seen as being competent in the debates.

I don't think that's as much of an issue once she's stabilized as a part of the national stage (rather than this exciting woman out of nowhere throwing grenades).

Biden will have his share of one liners, as indicated by his recent stumps.

minus_273 said:
one man has a paper thin resume the other has a long career.

McCain reward points +50. McCain/Palin boxer shorts incoming!

Soybean

gkrykewy said:
Intrade moving sharply toward McCain. That bothers me a lot more than polls.

Obama down today from 56.6 to 51.6, and McCain up from 43.5 to 47.8.
Yeah, this worried me too. Bad news for sure.

3rdman

Zeliard said:

Clearly so.
There is real interest in Palin...plenty of people tuned in to see her talk at the RNC and the way that the right wing is hiding her, I expect the debate to be treated like a second unveiling to the public. If Biden is able to show her inability to handle the job, it might be game ender for McCain considering his age.

HylianTom

Banned
From Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Domenico Montanaro
*** The post-convention map:

Likely Obama: CA, CT, DE, DC, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI, VT, WA (190 electoral votes)
Lean Obama: IA, MN, PA (38 votes)
Toss-up: CO, FL, MI, NV, NM, NH, OH, VA, WI (110 votes)
Lean McCain: AK, GA, IN, MO, MT, NC, ND, SD (64 votes)
Likely McCain: AL, AZ, AR, ID, KS, KY, LA, MS, NE, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, WV, WY (136 votes)

College9-8-8.jpg

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

3rdman said:
There is real interest in Palin...plenty of people tuned in to see her talk at the RNC and the way that the right wing is hiding her, I expect the debate to be treated like a second unveiling to the public. If Biden is able to show her inability to handle the job, it might be game ender for McCain considering his age.

What I loved so much about fox piece.. titled "American Woman" was the fact that the only time I have been able to see her in a debate I only her sit there and interject with an obvious "for the people" quip.

Guys are sitting there arguing over policy and she interjects to shut the boys up with "alaskan people deserve a better discourse than this." That's it, that's all I get to see.. Fuck you fox.

gkryhewy

HylianTom said:

Likely Obama: CA, CT, DE, DC, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI, VT, WA (190 electoral votes)
Likely McCain: AL, AZ, AR, ID, KS, KY, LA, MS, NE, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, WV, WY (136 votes)

The map itself: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008/pick-your-president/2717/

WI is a tossup? Obama needs WI.

HylianTom said:

College9-8-8.jpg

Michigan a toss-up? And Wisconsin? Really?

I'm not too confident any more guys. If these two are really toss-ups then my method of Google imaging pictures of Colorado to reassure myself doesn't work anymore.

minus_273

Banned
Evlar said:
One man is 47, the other is 72.

honestly there is not much to write about obama. If they harp too much on his laughable "foreign policy experience" living as a child in indonesia they risk raising the muslim rumors. he has a mediocre career in the state senate and in nothing with his name on it in Us senate. He started running for president halfway through his first term. Obama is much younger and as a result much less experienced than mccain if you cant even admit that you've had too much koolaid.

tanod

when is my burrito
minus_273 said:
one man has a paper thin resume the other has a long career.

Obama has done more for Congressional ethics reform in his 4 years than McCain has done (which is approximately nothing) in 36.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom