• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

CoolTrick said:
This is the type of argument Obama fans use all the time. Just STFU, it doesnt make what Obama said any less arrogant.

Okay, so the Clintons are elitist then. I accept your apology.

APF

XxenobladerxX said:
If Obama was an elitist,then he would of never helped those people in ILL.
This is a weak argument. People enter into public service for many reasons, and have many different types of temperaments. What you imply here is, no one who is a successful public servant can be considered "elitist," which I feel is a pretty sheltered or at least naive assumption.

In any case, even if you need to assert he isn't actually of that temperament, it does not mean this angle won't continue to plague him in the GE.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
CoolTrick said:
This is the type of argument Obama fans use all the time. Just STFU, it doesnt make what Obama said any less arrogant.

Man, back off already. I asked APF a question, and APF ONLY. I asked him if he thought Obama was elitist, and then I asked him if the Clintons were elitist. It was just me trying to understand his thought process.

Where did I rag on APF with those two questions? Nowhere. Go away.

I always forget, which one is the atheist, Siamese or APF?

As for Barack, he's been saying some stupid shit lately and he deserves to get beat up for it the same as his "Typical White Person" comment. I still support the guy but he has a way of putting his foot in his mouth. He isn't McCain, he can't expect to let the media just ignore it the way they constantly do for him.

VPhys

I don't know why Obama continues to do these impromptu interviews. He is winning!

His comments today were like live bait. They were stupid not in context but from a strategic standpoint.

typhonsentra said:

As for Barack, he's been saying some stupid shit lately and he deserves to get beat up for it the same as his "Typical White Person" comment. I still support the guy but he has a way of putting his foot in his mouth. He isn't McCain, he can't expect to let the media just ignore it the way they constantly do for him.
So telling the cold hard truth these days are painted as "saying stupid shit"? I do agree that he shouldn't have said the "bitter". Angry would have been a better way to say it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
wait are people calling obama arrogant now because instead of pandering to the Penn population with bullshit like "We can restore those jobs and make things just like they were 10 years ago," he actually said something along the lines of "You know, it's unfortunate that those jobs were lost, but the anger and hate needs to subside, and people need to look towards heading a new direction instead of regaining their former jobs that have no chance of coming back"

He used to be attacked for being too idealistic and too much of a hopemonger. Now he's being painted as arrogant because he was being realistic with regards to the job market in Pennsylvania?

Give me a fucking break you guys.

VPhys

typhonsentra said:

I don't feel the same about the "typical white person" comment.

But KNOWING the backlash from that comment, HOW could he say what he did today? THAT was stupid.

Barack deserves everything he gets from this. How he is constantly fucking up makes ME bitter.

GaimeGuy

VPhys said:

But KNOWING the backlash from that comment, HOW could he say what he did today? THAT was stupid.

Barack deserves everything he gets from this. How he is constantly fucking up makes ME bitter.
He deserves to be punished for saying something that can be used in this silly game that is American politics to show him in a negative light?

How about speaking the truth, rather than playing the politics game?

harSon

Banned
Are people defending Pennsylvania? News flash from someone who lived there, the state is a shit hole :lol

As for the comments, in context they're not bad at all. A spotty way of wording but nothing horrible none the less.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
GaimeGuy said:
wait are people calling obama arrogant now because instead of pandering to the Penn population with bullshit like "We can restore those jobs and make things just like they were 10 years ago," he actually said something along the lines of "You know, it's unfortunate that those jobs were lost, but the anger and hate needs to subside, and people need to look towards heading a new direction instead of regaining their former jobs that have no chance of coming back"

He used to be attacked for being too idealistic and too much of a hopemonger. Now he's being painted as arrogant because he was being realistic with regards to the job market in Pennsylvania?

Give me a fucking break you guys.

Err...he did PLENTY of pandering to these people in Ohio. Plenty.

These remarks were made to wealthy fundraisers.

VPhys

GaimeGuy said:
He deserves to be punished for saying something that can be used in this silly game that is American politics to show him in a negative light?

How about speaking the truth, rather than playing the politics game?

If he was someone sheltered from American politics his whole life and didn't know his comments would be taken out of context, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

But he knows the rules of the game, and while I appreciate he wants to change those rules, he's not elected yet. What he said today was just careless.

GaimeGuy

VPhys said:
If he was someone sheltered from American politics his whole life and didn't know his comments would be taken out of context, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

But he knows the rules of the game, and while I appreciate he wants to change those rules, he's not elected yet. What he said today was just careless.
Fuck the game. I don't give a shit if Karl Rove doesn't approve of his comments. I don't want a game. I want a president.

schuelma

GaimeGuy said:
Fuck the game. I don't give a shit if Karl Rove doesn't approve of his comments. I don't want a game. I want a president.

First, let me say that I think generally Obama has run a very respectful campaign and I think he is sincere in his wish to change the tone of Washington.

That said, him and his people have played this "game" just like McCain and Clinton have. Stop pretending your guy hasn't done the same exact thing.

schuelma

VPhys said:

Well it was made at a fundraiser and I really doubt he thought his remarks would get out.

Still very stupid of him. Very dumb.

The only saving grace is this hitting on a Friday.

Xeke

Banned
As a Pennsylvania resident for 20 years I fully agree with what he said. I don't know where some of you are getting arrogant from.

I lived most of my life in small town America...

XxenobladerxX said:
CNN is now calling the remark "a political attack on small town america"

Fuck the media.

Did you expect any less from CNN? He already has the disdain of some of the hosts and others are more interested in prolonging the primaries so it's just natural to them. That being said, Obama's off-the-cuff remarks do more damage to himself than anything else. He came right back after the Wright issue with a great speech, only to have his image tarnished the next day by the "typical white person" comment. The comment about teenager girls being punished by a baby and now this. Soundbites are not his friend.

I think this is just part of growing "presidential" pains for him. He has to be more careful with what he says because people can't wait to grab a soundbite out of context and use it against him. Or he needs to explain the comment immediately after and/or some way publicly.

Tamanon

Banned
maximum360 said:
Did you expect any less from CNN? He already has the disdain of some of the hosts and others are more interested in prolonging the primaries so it's just natural to them. That being said, Obama's off-the-cuff remarks do more damage to himself than anything else. He came right back after the Wright issue with a great speech, only to have his image tarnished the next day by the "typical white person" comment. The comment about teenager girls being punished by a baby and now this. Soundbites are not his friend.

I think this is just part of growing "presidential" pains for him. He has to be more careful with what he says because people can't wait to grab a soundbite out of context and use it against him. Or he needs to explain the comment immediately after and/or some way publicly.

He's learning that you can't speak plainly about many things, because people are used to ideas being couched in conditionals and metaphors instead.

shinsnake

Banned
Wait, Obama insults middle America's religious beliefs, belief in gun rights, and belief in secure borders, and people are arguing whether or not he should have said bitter? LOL, what the fuck is wrong with you Obama supporters?

shinsnake

Banned
Tamanon said:
He's learning that you can't speak plainly about many things, because people are used to ideas being couched in conditionals and metaphors instead.

Perhaps he should just learn to speak less. It seems that speaking is not his strong suit. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
shinsnake said:
Wait, Obama insults middle America's religious beliefs, belief in gun rights, and belief in secure borders, and people are arguing whether or not he should have said bitter? LOL, what the fuck is wrong with you Obama supporters?

Where did he insult any of those three?

reilo

Whichever deaf-mute runs as president, they will definitely win.

Macam

Banned
Ripclawe said:
weekend news show topic found!

That about sums the last month. If I have to endure one more Meet the Press with a pair of surrogates and a bunch of worthless "gotcha" quotes....well, I'll find better things to do with my time. I just wish Russert would do the same.

KRS7

This will likely be the big story this weekend. It was politically a poor choice of words for Obama, even though I agree with his sentiments. He was saying that many of these residents are bitter about government and politics, which in my experience is absolutely true. But it is being spun as if he were calling them bitter people.

Shiggie

shinsnake said:
Readingcomprehensionmuchtardface.
and to add, its exactly what he said in his speech only less eloquent.

reilo

So, Obama, a christian, insulted middle-America's religion of choice, christianity?

Bravo.

CoolTrick

Banned
shinsnake said:
That's because they defend everything he does. And then try to turn the question on Hillary.

Door2Dawn

Banned
shinsnake said:
lolwut

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:
That's because they defend everything he does. And then try to turn the question on Hillary.

Dude, we're not even talking about Hillary here. Although, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever heard you talk about her in a positive light either.

Man, I'm done with this bullshit until November. This is such a non-story, what he said is so obviously being distorted and misconstrued.. but since it's being done to Obama is alright I guess? I've spoken out when McCain's "100 years" comment was distorted, when Rev Wright's comments were distorted, when Bill Clinton's comments were distorted.. and this is just another one of those distortions. Are people really incapable of nuanced views on things? Of a bit of hard truth? No wonder Romney won the Michigan primary with his despicable pandering...

I agree with APF that Obama's percieved "arrogance" and "entitlement" will be an issue should he be the nominee, though I think it's a totally bullshit angle and an excuse many people will use just to vote against him

schuelma

Star Power said:
Man, I'm done with this bullshit until November. This is such a non-story, what he said is so obviously being distorted and misconstrued.. but since it's being done to Obama is alright I guess? I've spoken out when McCain's "100 years" comment was distorted, when Rev Wright's comments were distorted, when Bill Clinton's comments were distorted.. and this is just another one of those distortions. Are people really incapable of nuanced views on things? Of a bit of hard truth? No wonder Romney won the Michigan primary with his despicable pandering...

I agree with APF that Obama's percieved "arrogance" and "entitlement" will be an issue should he be the nominee, though I think it's a totally bullshit angle and an excuse many people will use just to vote against him

Welcome to politics, sadly

Speaking of that Michigan primary- McCain was crucified because he had the nerve to tell the truth (i.e, Michigan needs to adjust to the economy, jobs are going to be lost)

Xeke

Banned
CoolTrick said:

And then your butt plug falls out and you just spew shit everywhere. It's hard to watch.

Your posts are no less bias than any Obama supporter and yet you still somehow act like you're better.

Watching you post is like watching a mangled squirrel slowly die as he tries to get off the road after being hit by a car driven by Obama.

When I try to imagine what you look like and what you do with your life I always fail to come up with an image that works.

CoolTrick said:

You are such a one-trick pony. A lot of the Obama supporters here, myself included, are wuick to diagree with any position he takes and acknowledge when he makes a mistake or is being hypocritical. It is you and the other posters like you that take ever little non-story and ever poorly-worded statement and blow it out of proportion/intentionally distort the meaning, and then bitch about how Obama supporters are sheep when they call you out on your bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom