• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GaimeGuy said:
Now he's being painted as arrogant because he was being realistic with regards to the job market in Pennsylvania?

That's not what the statement is about.

I personally think the fact that this comment was made at a fundraiser with a bunch of rich people makes it significantly worse.

Tamanon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

I personally think the fact that this comment was made at a fundraiser with a bunch of rich people makes it significantly worse.

Yeah, especially considering the sound quality, you'd think a rich person would be able to afford better recording equipment.

The statement itself was about why bitterness and divisiveness has taken root in America, in a greater scheme, it was about the difficulty of getting people to buy into your message when they distrust government.

CoolTrick

Banned
It doesn't matter if it's technically true or not.

I'm sure the "typical white person" is also afraid of being mugged by muggers who tend to be black, too.

But that doesn't mean you say that or just let your mouth fly like that.

He deserves to be hit by this.

To argue about whether or not this is actually true is beside the point. Of course much of Pennsylvania is a shit hole. You don't insult a large portion of a state you're trying to win over. You don't insult a group of people that you're already having trouble politically connecting with.

Because regardless of whether or not it's true, it also is about Obama subtley talking down to those people, because the subtext is "Those people...". He deserves the hit.

CoolTrick said:

I'm sure the "typical white person" is also afraid of being mugged by muggers who tend to be black, too.

To argue about whether or not this is actually true is beside the point. Of course much of Pennsylvania is a shit hole. You don't insult a large portion of a state you're trying to win over. You don't insult a group of people that you're already having trouble politically connecting with.

1. He was not insulting them.

2. It does matter whether or not it's true when he's being attacked for making a nuanced observation... He should just say the politically right thing then? Wouldn't you then attack him for playing politics? "What happened to the politics of hope and change?"

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:

So you agree with what he said, you believe he is correct. Your problem is that you shouldn't say things that might hurt people's feelings. Got it. Glad to have you onboard though!

CoolTrick

Banned
Star Power said:
1. He was not insulting them.

2. It does matter whether or not it's true when he's being attacked for making a nuanced observation...

So, I'm just wondering, was the "typical white person" comment a "nuanced observation"? I'm just trying to determine where you've set your line -- if there is any -- to admit that Obama screws up when he does impromptu speeches.

So you agree with what he said, you believe he is correct.

I've never lived in small town Pennsylvania. I never said I agreed with what he said. I said the point isn't about whether or not it's true. And FYI, I think a lot of Pennsylvania is in the shit hole, but not because the people there are essentially to fucking cynical to buy Obama's soaring rhetoric.

AniHawk

CoolTrick said:
Does Obama hate the hard working people of small town America?

My point is you can make someone sound like they're saying anything when you pick and choose what you want to listen to.

CoolTrick

Banned
AniHawk said:
My point is you can make someone sound like they're saying anything when you pick and choose what you want to listen to.

Except, no, because I certainly read his full bit -- I read the context. It was still a stupid thing to say and he deserves the hit.

CoolTrick said:
So, I'm just wondering, was the "typical white person" comment a "nuanced observation"? I'm just trying to determine where you've set your line -- if there is any -- to admit that Obama screws up when he does impromptu speeches.

He shouldn't have said "typical white person" because the word "typical" is loaded and you then have people saying "ZOMG OBAMA IS RACIST WHAT IF I SAID TYPICAL BLACK PERSON", but the message of what he said wasn't particularly off or wrong. It was an observation about a member of his family who he obviously loves, and a broader cultural/social trend..

AniHawk

CoolTrick said:
Except, no, because I certainly read his full bit -- I read the context. It was still a stupid thing to say and he deserves the hit.

You're still trying to construe it as an insult, when he wasn't being insulting. He was talking about a broader issue here, not labeling a group of people for the sake of labeling them.

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:
But I've certainly been to it enough times to have an opinion, so, no, you kindly shut the fuck up and watch as Obama gets hit from both sides on this issue.

Odd, it's always seemed to me that McCain and Clinton are the same side:p I mean they were even advised by the same company!

CoolTrick

Banned
that statement sums up so much about our country these days

You don't get it.

None of the responses from Hillary or McCain talk about how what Obama said is inherently false. They play on the political incorrectness of what he said AND that there is a subtle talking-down tp these people from Obama.

You're still trying to construe it as an insult, when he wasn't being insulting.

That's up to interpretation though. Intentionally insulting? No. But who is ever INTENTIONALLY insulting in that situation? It was a slip on his part that is part of a storyline about Obama and this kind of voter.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, Chuck Todd had a good point earlier today, Bill Clinton probably wouldn't have been able to make it into the White House in the Youtube age with the way he speaks also.:lol

Cooltrick: So, again, you're saying the truth does not matter, the only thing that matters is how it makes people feel....which is kinda an ironic stance for an Obama-hater.

CoolTrick

Banned
Tamanon said:
BTW, Chuck Todd had a good point earlier today, Bill Clinton probably wouldn't have been able to make it into the White House in the Youtube age with the way he speaks also.:lol

Well I mean I think this is a pointless thing to debate but Bill Clinton also has a lot of charm, whereas that's not really Obama's appeal.

CoolTrick

Banned
Cooltrick: So, again, you're saying the truth does not matter, the only thing that matters is how it makes people feel....which is kinda an ironic stance for an Obama-hater.

Christ on a stick.

It's not that the truth doesn't matter per se, it's that the truth is not the POINT of the attacks on these statements.

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:
Christ on a stick.

It's not that the truth doesn't matter per se, it's that the truth is not the POINT of the attacks on these statements.

So then the point is how the statement makes people feel?

AniHawk

CoolTrick said:
That's up to interpretation though. Intentionally insulting? No. But who is ever INTENTIONALLY insulting in that situation? It was a slip on his part that is part of a storyline about Obama and this kind of voter.

From what I've read about the guy, I don't think he's the type that would insult this type of voter. He seems to be pretty against the type of activities that led to the massive job loss in states like PA in the first place. Unless he had a major change of heart since he wrote "The Audacity of Hope," I think painting him as an elite and hater of small town America is pretty disingenuous. The only reason this gets out in this fashion is because "Obama is not a good guy?" equals ratings, and because certain people are extremely desperate for ammo.

thekad said:
I like how that one guy just trolled and ran. At least CoolTrick stays for his beating.

You haven't met your "racist" quota for today.

Cooltrick is right, the connotation is "those people"..."that way of life". It was a denegrating and sweeping generalization spoken to a bunch of rich people that was never meant to be heard by anyone outside that room.

Tamanon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
You haven't met your "racist" quota for today.

Cooltrick is right, the connotation is "those people"..."that way of life". It was a denegrating and sweeping generalization spoken to a bunch of rich people that was never meant to be heard by anyone outside that room.

You mean like any time a candidate talks about "the rich" when stumping?:p

CoolTrick

Banned
So then the point is how the statement makes people feel?

Well, if people find it arrogant and patronizing on TOP of it obviously being politically incorrect, then chyeah.

I don't think he's the type that would insult this type of voter.

I don't think he would try to insult them either.

But no one is arguing he intentionally was being insulting.

It's another insight into Obama, and his subtle views on things. In this case, it's a bad slip up.

Lemonz

c515d7e8-c6e8-49c2-a5d3-8cc8acda2992.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
From the town hall:

At a town hall meeting in Indiana, U.S. Senator Barack Obama made the following comments in response to the Clinton and McCain campaign’s attacks:
"When I go around and I talk to people there is frustration and there is anger and there is bitterness. And what’s worse is when people are expressing their anger then politicians try to say what are you angry about? This just happened – I want to make a point here today.

"I was in San Francisco talking to a group at a fundraiser and somebody asked how’re you going to get votes in Pennsylvania? What’s going on there? We hear that’s its hard for some working class people to get behind you’re campaign. I said, "Well look, they’re frustrated and for good reason. Because for the last 25 years they’ve seen jobs shipped overseas. They’ve seen their economies collapse. They have lost their jobs. They have lost their pensions. They have lost their healthcare.

"And for 25, 30 years Democrats and Republicans have come before them and said we’re going to make your community better. We’re going to make it right and nothing ever happens. And of course they’re bitter. Of course they’re frustrated. You would be too. In fact many of you are. Because the same thing has happened here in Indiana. The same thing happened across the border in Decatur. The same thing has happened all across the country. Nobody is looking out for you. Nobody is thinking about you. And so people end up- they don’t vote on economic issues because they don’t expect anybody’s going to help them. So people end up, you know, voting on issues like guns, and are they going to have the right to bear arms. They vote on issues like gay marriage. And they take refuge in their faith and their community and their families and things they can count on. But they don’t believe they can count on Washington. So I made this statement-- so, here’s what rich. Senator Clinton says ‘No, I don’t think that people are bitter in Pennsylvania. You know, I think Barack’s being condescending.’ John McCain says, ‘Oh, how could he say that? How could he say people are bitter? You know, he’s obviously out of touch with people.’

"Out of touch? Out of touch? I mean, John McCain—it took him three tries to finally figure out that the home foreclosure crisis was a problem and to come up with a plan for it, and he’s saying I’m out of touch? Senator Clinton voted for a credit card-sponsored bankruptcy bill that made it harder for people to get out of debt after taking money from the financial services companies, and she says I’m out of touch? No, I’m in touch. I know exactly what’s going on. I know what’s going on in Pennsylvania. I know what’s going on in Indiana. I know what’s going on in Illinois. People are fed-up. They’re angry and they’re frustrated and they’re bitter. And they want to see a change in Washington and that’s why I’m running for President of the United States of America."

I figured he was talking about guns and religion and such being used as wedge issues.

AniHawk

CoolTrick said:
Well, if people find it arrogant and patronizing on TOP of it obviously being politically incorrect, then chyeah.

I don't think he would try to insult them either.

But no one is arguing he intentionally was being insulting.

It's another insight into Obama, and his subtle views on things. In this case, it's a bad slip up.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. What, he subtly resents these people? Looking at the town hall thing, reading his book, I have to say you're wrong. Flat out wrong. There's no room for interpretation.

Now that we have the statement in context is it still an attack on small town america?

From a participant at the fund raise

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-no-surprise-that-ha_b_96188.html

goodnrg

I was at this event. As with her article on his Vice President remarks at the same event, Ms. Fowler has taken Mr. Obama's remarks out of context in order to fit some notion of her ideas about the audience or her perception of Obama's personality. She neglects to mention that his remarks on Pennsylvania were in response to a couple that was going to Pennsylvania to work for the campaign. They wanted to know what questions people were going to ask. I guess that doesn't make as good a story as saying he "made a problematic judgment call in trying to explain working class culture to a much wealthier audience". Yes, there were some wealthy people at the event, but there were a lot of supporters there who were not wealthy, as with the couple going to Pennsylvania. It's more in her own mind that the attendants at the event needed to be explained the difference between "Turkeyfoot and Marin county". It 's interesting how so many of her articles are geared toward making Obama seem cocky or elitist. Maybe she can smuggle some recording equipment into another private fundraiser at someone's house and take some more remarks out of context that she can spin in this direction in the future...It's sad.

gluv65 said:
Now that we have the statement in context is it still an attack on small town america?

From a participant at the fund raise

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-no-surprise-that-ha_b_96188.html

goodnrg

I was at this event. As with her article on his Vice President remarks at the same event, Ms. Fowler has taken Mr. Obama's remarks out of context in order to fit some notion of her ideas about the audience or her perception of Obama's personality. She neglects to mention that his remarks on Pennsylvania were in response to a couple that was going to Pennsylvania to work for the campaign. They wanted to know what questions people were going to ask. I guess that doesn't make as good a story as saying he "made a problematic judgment call in trying to explain working class culture to a much wealthier audience". Yes, there were some wealthy people at the event, but there were a lot of supporters there who were not wealthy, as with the couple going to Pennsylvania. It's more in her own mind that the attendants at the event needed to be explained the difference between "Turkeyfoot and Marin county". It 's interesting how so many of her articles are geared toward making Obama seem cocky or elitist. Maybe she can smuggle some recording equipment into another private fundraiser at someone's house and take some more remarks out of context that she can spin in this direction in the future...It's sad.
Are you fucking serious?

Tamanon

Banned
CoolTrick said:
No, but he may subtely look down on them, and I doubt it's intentional. But it's there, and it's apparent enough.

To be fair, find me one politician that doesn't "subtely look down" on the masses:p

harSon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

It was made in front of a crowd that was predominantly middle class.

Triumph

Banned
Was it a poor choice of words? Sure, and he'll get shit from the media. But his response from the town hall shows that trying to paint him as "out of touch" because of what he said is wrong. I think he's genuinely trying to challenge people to think, which of course is probably not going to work too well in a lot of places but one can always hope that it does.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Presumptive Democratic nominee accused of elitism! This has only been coming up since, what, Adlai Stevenson?

I fully expect another 500 posts on this, while everyone ignores the real issue: Do we know how much Obama spends on his haircuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom