• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. Fox News.

They went live to a smalltown diner in Pennsylvania and asked the elderly white man sitting at the bar what he thought about Obama's comments, as a man who has lived there for 30+ years.

"Are people in this area bitter?"

"Yes, they are..."

"........."
"....um...do you think Obama was wrong with his comments?"

"No, actually. I think he was right. A lot of people here are bitter after losing their jobs..."

".....um...."

"....I also think he is a very intelligent young man. But yea, he was right..."

"....so people are bitter?"

"Yes. Absolutely."

"...and who will you be voting for, sir?"

"John McCain..."

"...and there you have it. a lot of people here seem to feel like Barack was pretty much right..."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

owned687.gif

Clevinger

PhoenixDark said:
Nice pounce by Clinton, but I wonder if people see through it by now. I bet these comments are playing well with superdelegates, at least the bigger ones

Distorting another candidate's comments plays well with superdelegates? That's pretty sad.

APF

Tamanon said:
Um, APF....that's exactly what Clinton is also doing in that quote if you didn't notice:p
To be fair, the difference is she's taking people's positions at face value, and isn't trying to ascribe some sort of subconscious underlying motivation that suggests those positions are not based out of personal belief but rather out of psychological projection.

Edit: nice nipples!

harSon

Banned
APF said:
To be fair, the difference is she's taking people's positions at face value, and isn't trying to ascribe some sort of subconscious underlying motivation that suggests those positions are not based out of rational belief but rather out of psychological displacement.

The only difference is those particular words came from the candidate you support.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Loved fox interviewing the people in Allentown about how much they are offended by Obamas "demeaning" comments.

Sir, what say you?

"He's right."

So how offended where you really?

"Aaaaaa, he's right."

Are you an Obama supporter, sir?

"No, McCain, but he's right. We are bitter."

Back to you in the studio.

Beaten!

Tamanon

Banned
APF said:
To be fair, the difference is she's taking people's positions at face value, and isn't trying to ascribe some sort of subconscious underlying motivation that suggests those positions are not based out of personal belief but rather out of psychological projection.

Edit: nice nipples!

Your statement was that Obama was trying to say "why" people support different things, Clinton's statement was "why" people support certain things. Would you agree that they are both completely incorrect since "people" have different reasons?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Deus Ex Machina said:
lol. Fox News.

They went live to a smalltown diner in Pennsylvania and asked the elderly white man sitting at the bar what he thought about Obama's comments, as a man who has lived there for 30+ years.

"Yes, they are..."

"........."

"No, actually. I think he was right. A lot of people here are bitter after losing their jobs..."

".....um...."

"Yes. Absolutely."

"John McCain..."

"...and there you have it. a lot of people here seem to feel like Barack was pretty much right..."

:lol :lol :lol

It just strikes me that most of the time, when Obama makes a "gaffe", he's just speaking the awful truth that people don't want to hear.

I was in Montrose, PA rallying in the streets today and we got a super positive response. I'd say about 80% of the people who drove by either honked their horns, or gave us thumbs up, or something to the matter. I was really surprised. We had a lot of people come right off the streets and join us and hold signs. Was really fun, and I left with a good feeling.

Oh and of bitter gate...The only person down there that mentioned it said "I'm from PA, I'm bitter and I'm proud!"

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
ZealousD said:

It just strikes me that most of the time, when Obama makes a "gaffe", he's just speaking the awful truth that people don't want to hear.
Like someone else said Clinton gets in trouble for lying while Obama gets in trouble for telling the truth.

ZealousD said:

Indeed. It's been that way for the past year, now. His remarks about Pakistan and meeting with foreign dictators were met with loud derision by our "man of the people" press and by every other candidate running for office. And I think we've seen how those episodes turned out for him.

I'm getting the same feeling with these comments. The press, quite frankly, are about 2-3 years behind the American people.

lopaz

Banned
Again I'm confused by the use of 'middle class'. Surely people who have had trouble finding employment after factory closures are 100% working class?

Tamanon

Banned
lopaz said:
Again I'm confused by the use of 'middle class'. Surely people who have had trouble finding employment after factory closures are 100% working class?

I'm pretty sure that was one of the things that helps mask the problems, the middle class designation in media has been expanded to include the lower middle class, or what used to be the working class. :p

lopaz

Banned
Tamanon said:
I'm pretty sure that was one of the things that helps mask the problems, the middle class designation in media has been expanded to include the lower middle class, or what used to be the working class. :p

Could have come from the politicians too I guess... like harping on about working class people might make you sound a bit of a commie. And if you expand the definition of middle class then claim to be fighting for them, well hey extra popularity, woot.

Also maybe the poors don't like being called working class... silly poors.

KRS7

XxenobladerxX said:
Was Shilldawg born into a mostly rich family?

Well, I saw one of her Pennsylvania commercials where she reminisced about her summer home there. I don't know about you guys, but my summer home is my winter home. I also stay here in spring and autumn.

She may not of been super rich, but most working class people don't own a home for each season.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
APF said:
Ding ding. Obama loves to lecture people over why they believe in / are doing something or other, which duh can come off as self-righteous, arrogant, and elitist if you're not infatuated with the man.

So Obama was talking about every single person in small town America? Or was he talking about particular people that this only pertains to?

FoxNews: "Obama says the middle class is bitter!" Why does the headlines get more further from the truth? :/

APF

Tamanon said:
Your statement was that Obama was trying to say "why" people support different things, Clinton's statement was "why" people support certain things. Would you agree that they are both completely incorrect since "people" have different reasons?
To be fair I don't think you're being fair here. Perhaps I was imprecise in my wording though: there's a difference, for example, between someone saying Obama supporters transmute their feelings of self-hatred from not getting laid into fervent devotion for the candidate, as opposed to saying his supporters are actually being inspired by him or his policy platform. You see? It's not about saying people support something, it's about projecting this underlying negative psychological motivation behind the support.

Tamanon

Banned
APF said:
To be fair I don't think you're being fair here. Perhaps I was imprecise in my wording though: there's a difference, for example, between someone saying Obama supporters transmute their feelings of self-hatred from not getting laid into fervent devotion for the candidate, as opposed to saying his supporters are actually being inspired by him or his policy platform. You see? It's not about saying people support something, it's about projecting this underlying negative psychological motivation behind the support.

So you agree that imprecise wording can lead to people drawing incorrect conclusions. I accept your apology.

mckmas8808

KRS7 said:
Well, I saw one of her Pennsylvania commercials where she reminisced about her summer home there. I don't know about you guys, but my summer home is my winter home. I also stay here in spring and autumn.

She may not of been super rich, but most working class people don't own a home for each season.

:lol

KRS7

I think Obama needs to stand by his remarks.

He was trying to explain what people in the Midwest must live through to a crowd in California. I've traveled to Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, and other coastal states. Many of their opinions of people from places like Ohio are not the kindest. I met a lot of people who think everyone from the Midwest is a racist, bible-thumping, gun carrying, ignorant, redneck.

He was trying to humanize small town americans. They've been screwed by Washington again and again. Many of them have lost hope and rightly so. Every election candidates come to these Midwest states, promising the world, and delivering nothing. The republicans have used abortion, immigration, and gun rights as wedge issues. Many people in rural areas vote against their economic interest again and again because of these issues.

This whole elitism thing is pure bullshit. It is used to drive a wedge between us and prevent from actually getting anything done. This idea of Ivy-League elites is just as bad as the ignorant redneck stereotype. There will be nothing done if these prejudiced perceptions of other americans persist. He was trying to bring the country together, but instead the media and broken political system will use this to continue to hammer the wedge between us.

KRS7 said:
I think Obama needs to stand by his remarks.

He was trying to explain what people in the Midwest must live through to a crowd in California. I've traveled to Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, and other coastal states. Many of their opinions of people from places like Ohio are not the kindest. I met a lot of people who think everyone from the Midwest is a racist, bible-thumping, gun carrying, ignorant, redneck.

He was trying to humanize small town americans. They've been screwed by Washington again and again. Many of them have lost hope and rightly so. Every election candidates come to these Midwest states, promising the world, and delivering nothing. The republicans have used abortion, immigration, and gun rights as wedge issues. Many people in rural areas vote against their economic interest again and again because of these issues.

This whole elitism thing is pure bullshit. It is used to drive a wedge between us and prevent from actually getting anything done. This idea of Ivy-League elites is just as bad as the ignorant redneck stereotype. There will be nothing done if these prejudiced perceptions of other americans persist. He was trying to bring the country together, but instead the media and broken political system will use this to continue to hammer the wedge between us.
Exactly.

Deus Ex Machina said:
lol. Fox News.

"Yes, they are..."

"........."

".....um...."

"Yes. Absolutely."

"John McCain..."

owned687.gif

Holy shit. Poor FoxNews. I bet they were expecting something else. :lol

Shiggie

KRS7 said:

i love you:lol :lol

Cheebs said:
grassroots = ardent supporters who work for the campaign from the bottom as volunteers and so forth. Its a term for people who do work for the campaign that aren't part of the top-tier official political workers but regular volunteers.

lol. I was just going by what MSNBC was saying and that's what they said. Maybe I misinterpreted it. :lol

Diablos

Currently polls show McCain either narrowly ahead or even with both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. It is impressive considering how poorly the GOP, and specifically the president, are viewed by the public.

But it is a faux lead. If the de facto Democratic nominee is clear within the next 4-6 weeks, that person will see a poll bounce.

*sigh*

Good luck with that.

Hillary's ruining everything. God dammit.

mckmas8808

Guy on Fox News said:
"Half of the democratic party think there's something wrong with the foundation of the country, the other half love their country and think there's only small things wrong with it."

I wonder which side supports Obama? :lol

Insertia

Deus Ex Machina said:
Wow.

CNN sleighs Clinton and McCain for trying to hurt Obama on this comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3o6h-fVXFE

I mean a genuine curb-stomping.

omfg @ the Hilary clip. She is so transparent, it's ridiculous.
I mean, even she knows Obama is correct. It can be heard in her voice how she doesn't believe the crap coming out of her mouth.

I mean is this real? This is a joke. Honestly, if Barack isn't our next president, people in this country are very very stupid and deserve to continue living in this flailing period.

Also, Barack himself is the best thing to happen to this nomination process. He's making McCain and Clinton a lot more aware and a lot more sensible.

APF

KRS7 said:
I've traveled to Oregon, Washington, California, Massachusetts, and other coastal states. Many of their opinions of people from places like Ohio are not the kindest. I met a lot of people who think everyone from the Midwest is a racist, bible-thumping, gun carrying, ignorant, redneck.
To be fair, they're only racist, bible-thumping, gun carrying, ignorant rednecks because they're bitter over their jerbs and the concept of Federalism.

Insertia said:
omfg @ the Hilary clip. She is so transparent, it's ridiculous.
I mean, even she knows Obama is correct. It can be heard in her voice how she doesn't believe the crap coming out of her mouth.

I mean is this real? This is a joke. Honestly, if Barack isn't our next president, people in this country are very very stupid and deserve to continue living in this flailing period.

Also, Barack himself is the best thing to happen to this nomination process. He's making McCain and Clinton a lot more aware and a lot more sensible.
Easy there,tiger.

theBishop

Banned
KRS7 said:

Summer home in PA
Donated $5million personal cash to her campaign (still $8mil in debt)
Tax return shows earnings of over 100mil since 2000

Who's the elitist in this campaign?

PS: not that being elite is a bad thing...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
this probably belongs in its own thread, but it's just too funny not to post here (from drudge)

TOUGH JOB MARKET: Former attorney general Alberto Gonzales has been unable to interest law firms in adding his name to their roster... Developing...
poor Alberto! even Yoo managed to find a cushy gig after leaving the administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom