• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instigator said:
I've been meaning to ask this question for a while and only someone deep in those red states can possibly answer it.

I've been hearing snippets of people fearing a black/woman president to a point of considering moving out of the country. Now I know this can just be empty talk or humor in reference to those Democrats threatening to do the same thing when Bush took over. But still, for those who at least half mean it, where exactly are they planning to move to? Where is this white, conservative, racist, Christian paradise outside of the US?

Well, my mother also wants to move out of Florida. She graduated with a degree in MIS back in 2001, worked at Bank of America (One of the best employees at her branch), TechData, JCPennys, did temp work for Raymond James Financial, and STILL cannot find a job.

The economy down here in Florida is just fucking terrible. Where would she want to move? Possibly Charlotte. Somewhere near the city where jobs are (hopefully) plentiful. She's always hated Florida. Same with me. We never found the place great.

So yeah. Fuck Florida, fuck Bush, and fuck the people that vote for McCain. Whew, I'm done venting now. :D

Tamanon

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Well, my mother also wants to move out of Florida. She graduated with a degree in MIS back in 2001, worked at Bank of America (One of the best employees at her branch), TechData, JCPennys, did temp work for Raymond James Financial, and STILL cannot find a job.

The economy down here in Florida is just fucking terrible. Where would she want to move? Possibly Charlotte. Somewhere near the city where jobs are (hopefully) plentiful. She's always hated Florida. Same with me. We never found the place great.

So yeah. Fuck Florida, fuck Bush, and fuck the people that vote for McCain. Whew, I'm done venting now. :D

Charlotte is basically Jacksonville with mountains. The job market is pretty poor here right now.

APF

Obama just aped the "shame" line, so I'm not sure you want to point to that. Plus, no. Also, the "Xerox" line was lame, but not retarded. Retarded in a lack of humor way, perhaps. Rovian tactics was, I believe, not something she said, and in fact was WAY outweighed by the "McCarthy" comment, as well as IMO the equation of Presidents Clinton and Nixon.

Azih

soul creator said:
sure, it could be seen as "projecting" on my part, but I hardly see any evidence that he found some convincing proof of the fantastical elements of Christianity

First off let me highlight one part of the statement that you left unbolded
But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fantastical', but that probably qualifies.

Secondly who said anything about 'convincing proof of the "fantastical elements of Christianity"? That's a weird standard to apply to someone's faith.

I get the feeling that you think religious people can't have a nuanced understanding of the world and belief (as opposed to hardcore creationist types) and so Obama becomes a closet atheist.

I have a feeling that he knows in the back of his mind that there isn't really an invisible dude watching over the country
Really feels like wish fulfillment. Religious people aren't idiots by definition.

syllogism

APF said:
Obama just aped the "shame" line, so I'm not sure you want to point to that. Plus, no. Also, the "Xerox" line was lame, but not retarded. Retarded in a lack of humor way, perhaps. Rovian tactics was, I believe, not something she said, and in fact was WAY outweighed by the "McCarthy" comment, as well as IMO the equation of President Clinton to Nixon.
It's not the line, but what she was accusing Obama of doing

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
APF said:
Obama just aped the "shame" line, so I'm not sure you want to point to that. Plus, no. Also, the "Xerox" line was lame, but not retarded. Retarded in a lack of humor way, perhaps. Rovian tactics was, I believe, not something she said, and in fact was WAY outweighed by the "McCarthy" comment, as well as IMO the equation of President Clinton to Nixon.

Dude, she accused Obama of using Karl Rove tactics during her "Shame On You, Shame On You, Barack Obama" conference.

"Enough about the speeches, and the big rallies, and then using tactics right out of Karl Rove's playbook," Clinton railed. "This is wrong and every Democrat should be outraged."

Yes. She accused Obama of using tactics out of Karl Rove's playbook. COME ON.

GOBwithaJOB.JPG

APF said:
TheKingsCrown: Yes yes, ray of light, blinding hope sunshine and puppies, etc etc

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that out of all the political contenders, an educated person believes that he is most fit to run the country as he has a new perspective which is very important in carrying our country forward. They're all into political mischief, Hillary much worse than him IMO; but they aren't all fit to lead.

Pull your head out of your ass please, and judge candidates not on what their opponents say, but on what they say.

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, I'd say comparing someone to Karl Rove and comparing someone to McCarthy to being pretty equal. Both are pretty bad things to say.

APF

STEELTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly agitated Barack Obama accused Hillary Clinton Sunday of acting like "Annie Oakley …packin’ a six shooter” in her attempts to connect with gun owners, and used some of his most heated language to date to attack her and her campaign for their reaction to his comments from a now infamous California fundraiser.

"Shame on her," he told a Steelton crowd.

"I expected this out of John McCain," Obama said in a decibel higher than his every day stump tone. "But I've gotta say, I'm a little disappointed when I start hearing the exact same talking points coming out of my Democratic colleague Hillary Clinton. She knows better. Shame on her."

imagemacro.jpg

TheKingsCrown: oh you mean like by posting articles with quotes in them, and addressing the quotes in the article and saying you disagree with them? I'll never do that, I'm sorry, I just can't take the time to read and post articles and give my responses to quotes from candidates that are appearing in those articles.

theBishop

Banned
Tamanon said:
I dunno, I'd say comparing someone to Karl Rove and comparing someone to McCarthy to being pretty equal. Both are pretty bad things to say.

What is this McCarthy comment referring to? I missed it.

Tamanon

Banned
theBishop said:
What is this McCarthy comment referring to? I missed it.

It was one of Obama's advisors a while back talking about the whole patriotism thing and saying he hadn't seen anything like it since the days of McCarthy.

Azih said:
First off let me highlight one part of the statement that you left unbolded I'm not sure what you mean by 'fantastical', but that probably qualifies.

Secondly who said anything about 'convincing proof of the "fantastical elements of Christianity"? That's a weird standard to apply to someone's faith. Especially since it's one that can't be tested as it relies on guessing at the man's motivations.

I get the feeling that you think religious people can't have a nuanced understanding of the world and belief (as opposed to hardcore creationist types) and so Obama becomes a closet atheist.

i'm just saying that the primary reason for him joining the church are community and social aspects.

If "feeling god's spirit" is all of a sudden supposed to count as convincing evidence, then that means every religion in the history of humanity are now "true", since I'm sure he knows that plenty of people in the world of all sorts of religions have "felt god's spirit". And most people are actually atheists btw, when it comes to everyone else's god besides their own.

But anyhoo, my apologies for the slight derail. BACK TO THE OBAMA LOVE THAT ATHEISTS AND CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS CAN AGREE ON!

if he did have convincing evidence of god's existence, wouldn't we want him to make policy decisions based on what god thinks? Talk about having the ultimate campaign adviser!

so APF, do you like have a job or something?

Or do you just sit here in this thread all day and night and argue with people? Tell me about your life and what motivates you to argue in this thread all the time! It's kind of like those MSNBC specials "Inside the Mind of a Killer"

APF

Tamanon said:
In fairness, the Rove comparison makes sense--he's a political strategist who just recently ran successful campaigns--whereas the McCarthy comment was outrageous and disgusting.

Edit: How can you ask that question when you're here taking the time to try and ride my dick?

APF said:
imagemacro.jpg

TheKingsCrown: oh you mean like by posting articles with quotes in them, and addressing the quotes in the article and saying you disagree with them? I'll never do that, I'm sorry, I just can't take the time to read and post articles and give my responses to quotes from candidates that are appearing in those articles.

What these candidates say during this election may or may not be what they actually believe. This much has been true of politics for as long as I have been alive, and probably as long as you have been alive as well.

There are moments within their statements, however, that can give very clear views of their character because the statements are free from political obsession. Reading in between Clinton's lines has led me to believe that she is obsessed with winning (she brings up point after point attacking him, all the time every day, switches stances on everything she possibly can). Reading in between Obama's lines has led me to believe he truly believes he can carry the country forward (He is consistent with his message, his book is an eye opener into his mind, and he rarely wants to engage in political attacks).

My point is this: The media's portrayal of this is not the truth. The truth is what you glean from a candidates character over time. And her character is really beginning to scare me APF. Mccain's does as well. But hers is making me think twice.

Cheebs

Obama shouldn't have pulled out the shame card. He has restrained from attacking Hillary but I guess the bittergate got to him and he was a bit pissed off.

TheKingsCrown said:
What these candidates say during this election may or may not be what they actually believe. This much has been true of politics for as long as I have been alive, and probably as long as you have been alive as well.

There are moments within their statements, however, that can give very clear views of their character because the statements are free from political obsession. Reading in between Clinton's lines has led me to believe that she is obsessed with winning (she brings up point after point attacking him, all the time every day, switches stances on everything she possibly can). Reading in between Obama's lines has led me to believe he truly believes he can carry the country forward (He is consistent with his message, his book is an eye opener into his mind, and he rarely wants to engage in political attacks).

My point is this: The media's portrayal of this is not the truth. The truth is what you glean from a candidates character over time. And her character is really beginning to scare me APF. Mccain's does as well. But hers is making me think twice.
Well said.

APF

Obama's looking like he's pretty comfortable with rather grade-school -level attacks, plus both candidates need to be focused on winning in order to win--not to mention, to fight for their plans and policy proposals. Not sure why someone fighting for policies you believe in should be scary to you, but hey free country.

reilo

Latest PA poll on MSNBC:

Hillary 44
Obama 38

That's 18% undecided.

Xeke

Banned
APF said:
Obama's looking like he's pretty comfortable with rather grade-school -level attacks, plus both candidates need to be focused on winning in order to win--not to mention, to fight for their plans and policy proposals. Not sure why someone fighting for policies you believe in should be scary to you, but hey free country.

Yeah but Hillary already lost so she can do whatevs.

reilo

Xeke said:
Yeah but Hillary already lost so she can do whatevs.

"Everyone knows Hillary is a liar and a crook, that will only help her in the general election."

/CoolTrick

GhaleonEB said:
Who was the pollster?

Not sure, did not catch that. Looking for it now.

Xeke

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Who was the pollster?

Time I think.

"Everyone knows Hillary is a liar and a crook, that will only help her in the general election."

/CoolTrick

Exactly. But luckily for her she can say whatever the hell she wants because hey, she's already lost the nomination so she can't loose it again now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I didn't know I worked around a superdelegate who is officially undecided. Whatever current tally you use, add one for Obama. I'm not sure what the person is waiting for to make it official.

Clevinger

JoshuaJSlone said:
It does sadden me. I was already wondering what songs with "rain" in them they would tackle next. However, from the linked-to article,

Is that H. Jon Benjamin, voice of Home Movies's McGuirk?

One and the same. :D He also writes and directs all those swift kids for truth videos I linked.

VanMardigan said:
So I didn't know I worked around a superdelegate who is officially undecided. Whatever current tally you use, add one for Obama. I'm not sure what the person is waiting for to make it official.
If that's true, you're a good man :D

gcubed

APF said:

albeit McCarthyism was said by an advisor, where as the Rove comment was said by Hillary herself. Slightly different.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

AP CHAIRMAN APOLOGIZES FOR CALLING OSAMA 'OBAMA' -- TO HIS OBAMA'S FACE

Mon APR 14 2007 14:53:11 ET

Exchange between Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill) and William Dean Singleton, chairman of the board of the ASSOCIATED PRESS at the AP annual meeting in Washington DC:

Singleton: Obama bin Laden is still at large.

Obama: I think that was Osama bin Laden. (audience laughter, delayed applause)

Singleton: If I did that, I'm so sorry.

Obama: No, no, no. this is part of the exercise that I've been going through over the last 15 months, which is why it's pretty impressive that I'm still standing. (applause)

# # #

Developing...

Lolzors.

syllogism

I think it was clear Hillary had the advantage in Indiana when some of her associates started calling it a "must win" state. No way she is going to win by more than 10% though.

Kildace

bob_arctor said:
Man, I just don't get it. I wouldn't/couldn't make that mistake if I tried and yet it keeps on happening.

He was talking to obama, 2 feet away from him and he didn't look at ease at all when he asked the other questions. He was just really stressed out and misspoke without realizing it.
It was pretty amusing because at the end of the broadcast the stream kept going and the mics were on. You could hear him asking one of his colleagues : "Did I actually say Obama?" "I have no idea but since he said it I went along with it and apologized".

I really don't see any harm in it, and he did a great job responding to it. Honestly it probably worked for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom