• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

RubxQub said:
From the same article you just posted:

You were saying?

Wait wait wait. Selective and misleading quotes from a conservative? From SiameseDreamer, who has always been a paragon of legitimate and insightful discussion, and not one of those 'quote block plus a one-liner' posters?

I am floored.

VanMardigan said:
You're basically projecting what you'd like for reality to be. His words about how Wright helped him to form a relationship with Jesus Christ contradict what you would like reality to be. I have no reason to question the actual faith Obama has in Christianity.

I do - it's on all his buttons.

Triumph

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
You'd think that with all those Economic advisors, McCain would actually know something about the economy. But no
Heh, don't assume that just because people are called "economic advisors" that THEY actually know anything about the economy themselves.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkrykewy said:
Wait wait wait. Selective and misleading quotes from a conservative? From SiameseDreamer, who has always been a paragon of legitimate and insightful discussion, and not one of those 'quote block plus a one-liner' posters?

I am floored.

You've been adding nothing but personal insults to the discussion for the longest time now. What's your problem?

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
You've been adding nothing but personal insults to the discussion for the longest time now. What's your problem?

I did suggest that you grow a pair with regard to bittergate - sorry about that. I don't see any other personal insults (and that wasn't an insult either) among my other recent posts in this thread though. Perhaps we have a different definition. I was critical of hillary, and of evangelical nutjobs, and of W. I guess those count?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Our economy in Florida is a disaster. I'm hoping voters see the light and vote Democrat. If not, I'm moving.:lol

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while and only someone deep in those red states can possibly answer it.

I've been hearing snippets of people fearing a black/woman president to a point of considering moving out of the country. Now I know this can just be empty talk or humor in reference to those Democrats threatening to do the same thing when Bush took over. But still, for those who at least half mean it, where exactly are they planning to move to? Where is this white, conservative, racist, Christian paradise outside of the US?

Tamanon

Banned
Instigator said:
I've been meaning to ask this question for a while and only someone deep in those red states can possibly answer it.

I've been hearing snippets of people fearing a black/woman president to a point of considering moving out of the country. Now I know this can just be empty talk or humor in reference to those Democrats threatening to do the same thing when Bush took over. But still, for those who at least half mean it, where exactly are they planning to move to? Where is this white, conservative, racist, Christian paradise outside of the US?

Um, what?

Would never happen. Leaving the country isn't something that conservative voters threaten truthfully. Too much "patriotism", plus, anywhere else will be more liberal or non-Christian.

Instigator said:

1940, Germany....all they need is a Delorean

Tamanon said:
Um, what?

Would never happen. Leaving the country isn't something that conservative voters threaten truthfully. Too much "patriotism", plus, anywhere else will be more liberal or non-Christian.

Well, that's exactly why I am asking. I saw the paradox... :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Triumph said:
Heh, don't assume that just because people are called "economic advisors" that THEY actually know anything about the economy themselves.
I'm less likely to vote for McCain now...not that I planned to in the first place though

Instigator said:

"wah, Bush stole another election? I'm moving this time for real..!"

It's not going to happen. Such a huge financial/family decision is not made solely due to something like that, at least not by sane individuals

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkrykewy said:
...hope? (goes with the first part of your post, on projecting). I hesitate to clarify, as you seem sensitive about these jokes.

If your clarification is meant to make fun of me, don't bother. If it makes actual sense, then go right ahead.

edit: And how did Obama become the atheist's candidate? With his close ties to his church and his open stance on his beliefs, is there any subset this dude can't appeal to? It's like everybody sees in him whatever good they want. Me included, of course. His words are carefully chosen to appeal to everyone.

No, spelling out that I meant HOPE was the clarification.

That didn't clarify anything. Me=confused. What dose that have to do with the part you bolded from my quote? You're going to have to spell it out for me.

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
"wah, Bush stole another election? I'm moving this time..!"

It's not going to happen. Such a huge financial/family decision is not made solely due to something like that, at least not by sane individuals
I know some very sane people that moved to Canada after 2004. I almost did as well.

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
If your clarification is meant to make fun of me, don't bother. If it makes actual sense, then go right ahead.

No, spelling out that I meant HOPE was the clarification. This forum is supposed to be fun. Please relax.

Triumph said:
I know some very sane people that moved to Canada after 2004. I almost did as well.

Your description of sane usually differs from mine, so no dice. Will they be moving back assuming a dem wins in 08? :p

Kildace

I'm not sure I liked his "African American culture" comment on education. During such a newscycle he should be very, very careful about his words and generalizations. Even when he's talking about his base.

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Your description of sane usually differs from mine, so no dice. Will they be moving back assuming a dem wins in 08? :p
No. To be fair, one person in the couple had dual citizenship so it wasn't a big deal for them to move. Or as big a deal as it would have been for me to move up there, anyhow.

APF

This is perhaps the most asinine thing I've heard come out of Obama's mouth:

CNN said:
Obama mocks Clinton 'throwing back a shot and a beer'

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) — Barack Obama furthered his recent criticisms of Hillary Clinton Monday by mocking the fact that she recently "threw back a shot and a beer" in front of the media.

After first saying too many candidates are only giving voters "rhetoric," the Illinois senator said, "They'll promise you anything. They'll even give you a long list of proposals. They'll even come around with TV crews in tow and throw back a shot and a beer."

The shot came Saturday at Bronko’s Restaurant in Crown Point, Indiana. With the national media in tow, Clinton made a stop there to drink a beer and speak with voters. After ordering her beer the bartender asked, “You want a shot with that Hillary?” After some deliberation, Clinton settled on a shot of Crown Royal, a Canadian whiskey.

But Obama is not totally in the clear himself when it comes to photo-ops at bars. The White House hopeful nursed a beer in front of cameras with Pennsylvania senator Bob Casey at a sports bar during his Pennsylvania bus tour on March 28. He has since mentioned that moment of drinking in front of audiences on the trail in the Keystone State.

Responding to Obama's comments, Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said, "With all due respect, this is the same politician who spent six days posing for clichéd camera shots that included bowling gutterballs, walking around a sports bar, feeding a baby cow, and buying a ham at the Philly market (albeit one that cost $99.99 a pound). Sen. Obama's speeches won’t hide his condescending views of Americans living in small towns.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...on-throwing-back-a-shot-and-a-beer/#more-6415

Dude, seriously? This is how far down you've fallen? And lol at the rhetoric comment.

theBishop

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
"wah, Bush stole another election? I'm moving this time for real..!"

Right. Only the INSANE would move to another country where their taxes wouldn't fund an unprovoked war against a country that posed no threat to us. Or continue to pay exorbitant monthly health insurance bills that are fairly likely to be ignored if you actually need to use it. Crazy.

Kildace

Tamanon said:
Kildace: What are you talking about?

His AP Q/A session that's currently on CNN Live.

In a nutshell he repeated his message on turning off the TV taking away the videogames and making children interested in learning again, and added "I think that this is especially important in the African American community, some of the culture has to change".

It's nothing terrible but could be seen as disparaging. He should just stay away from generalizing and providing soundbites right now.

Tamanon

Banned
APF said:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...on-throwing-back-a-shot-and-a-beer/#more-6415

Dude, seriously? This is how far down you've fallen? And lol at the rhetoric comment.

I forget, does Clinton believe Obama is an elitist, or does she believe that the Republicans will paint him as an elitist? She changes stances on this constantly the past few days, and does again with her spokesman's comment.

theBishop said:
Right. Only the INSANE would move to another country where their taxes wouldn't fund an unprovoked war against a country that posed no threat to us. Or continue to pay exorbitant monthly health insurance bills that are fairly likely to be ignored if you actually need to use it. Crazy.
Actually it is pretty crazy if you have a family. To uproot your family and move to another country because you basically don't like the current president is pretty irrational. If you are single with no family, that is a different story.

VanMardigan said:
You're basically projecting what you'd like for reality to be. His words about how Wright helped him to form a relationship with Jesus Christ contradict what you would like reality to be. I have no reason to question the actual faith Obama has in Christianity.

Barack Obama said:
But my experiences in Chicago also forced me to confrotn a dilemma that my mother never fully resolved in her own life: the fact that I had no community or shared traditions in which to ground my most deeply held beliefs...

...I came to realize that without a vessel for my beliefs, without an unequivocal commitment to a particular community of faith, I would be consigned at some level to always remain apart, free in the way that my mother was free, but also alone in the same ways she was ultimately alone.

There are worse things than such freedom. My mother would live happily as a citizen of the world, stitching together a community of friends wherever she found herself, satisfying her need for meaning in her work and in her children. In such a life I, too, might have contented myself had it not been for the particular attributes of the historically black church, attributes that helped me shed some of my skepticism and embrace the Christian faith.

For one thing, I was drawn to the power of the African American religious tradition to spur social change...

---

...It was because of these newfound understandings -- that religious commitment did not require me to suspend critical thinking, disengage from the battle for economic and social justice, or otherwise retreat from the world that I knew and loved -- that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ one day and be baptized. It came about as a choice and not an epiphany; the questions I had did not magically disappear. But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth...

---

...At some fundamental level, religion does not allow for compromise. It insists on the impossible. If God has spoken, then followers are expected to live up to God's edicts, regardless of the consequences. To base one's life on such uncompromising commitments may be sublime; to base our policy making on such commitments would be a dangerous thing.

sure, it could be seen as "projecting" on my part, but I hardly see any indication that he found some convincing evidence of the fantastical elements of Christianity, therefore he decided to become a Christian.

Of course, one might say that the mundane "finding evidence" aspects of being a Christian is missing the point of Christianity. But that lines up with exactly what I'm saying. He's sought the church for a sense of belonging and the community and social aspects -- not because he found actual evidence that Christian claims about the world are more true than any other religious or nonreligious claims about the world.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, one could say that's the best kind of religious conversion. He made his choice as an adult, enjoys the community and social aspects of the church, and realizes that he can't use his personal religion as a sole reason for policy decisions, like some others have done over the years.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
APF said:

I'm guessing that the "validation" of his statement lies in his belief that she's doing it all as a charade, whereas he feels his media exploits are genuine.

That's a tough call to make, but I'd like to believe Obama is more genuine that Clinton.

Surprising that this comment deserved it's own article on CNN is kinda funny, though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Kildace said:
His AP Q/A session that's currently on CNN Live.

In a nutshell he repeated his message on turning off the TV taking away the videogames and making children interested in learning again, and added "I think that this is especially important in the African American community, some of the culture has to change".

It's nothing terrible but could be seen as disparaging. He should just stay away from generalizing and providing soundbites right now.
I don't see anything wrong there.

Anyway, Obama already has the black population in his pockets. He should stop addressing it ATM just to avoid any gaffe that could give more ammo to Hillary's camp.

APF

This plus his stupid "Annie Oakley" comment is literally the most retarded kindergarten-level politics I've seen so far from an actual candidate in this campaign.

RubxQub: it's a blog post; the barrier for entry is lower.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
APF said:
This plus his stupid "Annie Oakley" comment is literally the most retarded kindergarten-level politics I've seen so far from an actual candidate in this campaign.

You have got to be kidding.

APF said:

Oh my god. I am so sick of this back and forth with you people. Don't you realize this is destroying your party and is going to lose you the general in November? As an independent, it would be, at best, at this point, very difficult for me to swallow voting for Hillary. It is becoming more difficult for me to vote for McCain, but I'm not sure which is more difficult at this point, which simply signifies that the giant lead that democrats had because republicans are ridiculously stupid, has all but eroded, at least in this independent's eyes. But if the dem nominee were Obama, that would change significantly. Because no matter how people like you try to tear him down over stupid fucking bullshit like this, his character shines through, even his own contradictions. He is not perfect, perhaps he could have been a little more politically correct here, but that doesn't bear on his thoughts, aspirations, and beliefs about where the country needs to go. And I don't think Hillary has a damn thing on him there.

But seriously, stop making her look even worse than she already does.

Kildace

APF said:

I somewhat agree and think that he should have stuck to his first rebuttal on Friday. It was very effective, much more than the attacking tone he's currently using.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
APF said:
Again, it all stems from his belief that Hillary is faking it, and he is genuine. I believe his assumption is correct, and I assume you think it is not.

Her radically new change of tone about gun control as well as other recent changes point to this ingenuity he is speaking about.

APF

TheKingsCrown: Yes yes, ray of light, blinding hope sunshine and puppies, etc etc

RubxQub: the real truth is that all of that stuff (photo-ops I mean) is political theater in order to appear like you're a person-of-the-people, and is pretty condescending in and of itself IMO

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
soul creator said:
sure, it could be seen as "projecting" on my part, but I hardly see any evidence that he found some convincing proof of the fantastical elements of Christianity, therefore he decided to become a Christian.

Of course, one might say that the mundane "finding evidence" aspects of being a Christian is missing the point of Christianity. But that lines up with exactly what I'm saying. He's sought the church for a sense of belonging and the community and social aspects -- not because he found actual evidence that Christian claims about the world are more true than any other religious or nonreligious claims about the world.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, one could say that's the best kind of religious conversion. He made his choice as an adult, enjoys the community and social aspects of the church, and realizes that he can't use his personal religion as a sole reason for policy decisions, like some others have done over the years.

he fact that I had no community or shared traditions in which to ground my most deeply held beliefs...

I'm not sure what you think he believes, so we may not even be arguing the same thing, but he's been open about how Rev. Wright helped him in his relationship with Jesus Christ. Of course, I agree with your second paragraph. In the end, someone like me can be happy that he believes in Jesus Christ as his personal savior and you can be happy about the fact that he's not going to use that belief to affect policy in the way some others have used it.

Triumph

Banned
APF said:
Worse than "change you can xerox"? For realz???

theBishop

Banned
Hollywood Duo said:
Actually it is pretty crazy if you have a family. To uproot your family and move to another country because you basically don't like the current president is pretty irrational. If you are single with no family, that is a different story.

Living your life in accordance with what you believe is "irrational"?

American Doublethink is strong with this one.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Triumph said:
Worse than "change you can xerox"? For realz???

Or proclaiming Obama is using Rovian tactics to negatively attack Hillary? Or saying caucuses don't matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom