• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Scarborough: "Republicans were scared of Barack Obama two weeks ago, they are not now."

/facepalm

APF

Amir0x said:
He didn't say they choose to believe because they are bitter. He said they choose to CLING to these things because they are bitter.

And that's absolutely fucking true.

If your argument is he should be a more astute politician and sugar coat things with a higher fucking calorie content like Fat Joe breaking into a chocolate laced cheese cake, that's your own problem. I want my politicians to say it like it should be said, and the media to grow up enough to interpret the gradations in society.
While of course I understand the point you're / he's trying to make, the point is that the phrasing itself--a far less elegant and nuanced version than exists in the book he plagiarized it from--plays into the preexisting idea of him being arrogant and condescending, which as I've said many times now is something we'll be hearing more of in the GE, especially considering his distant relationship with the press will only reinforce the narrative. The fact that some of those "clings" are things he himself panders about--when his staff isn't saying it's just talk to pacify the sheep--provides another shade of douchebaggyness to it, as does the audience he was speaking to. But the assinine and retarded parts came in his pathetic, kindergarten-level responses to the criticism from McCain and Clinton. Obama's going to come out of this nomination process with a whole lot less hope and a whole lot less new kinda politics, yay.

Edit: also, I forgot to point-out that your interpretation differs than the candidate himself, but I see that's been said above..

reilo

Dobbs: "The battle for the democratic nomination is fiercer than it ever was, and Obama simply refuses to apologize for calling small-town citizens bitter."

/facepalmx2

reilo

And Lou Dobbs citing ARG's poll. Shocker.

Wow.

Dobbs shows part of the Clinton ad, but then paraphrases over Obama's new ad with the footage running the background on mute.

APF

bob_arctor said:
Maybe APF's argument is that even though we apparently treat the dummies amongst us as sheep, even feigning disgust at some of the reactions here to the random poll showing the uneducated supporting Hillary in higher numbers, they are, in fact, happy sheep quite comfortable with their lot and we should acknowledge that and leave them be.
I don't care about whether or not my butler, maid, gardener, pool-boy, etc are happy--that's what the first and the 15th are for. But I'm also not going to try and tell them the reason they hold onto religious beliefs, or feel that abortion, or gun control, or whatever, are important issues, is because they have crappy jobs working for an ungrateful and harsh taskmaster, all because mommy government doesn't outstretch her luminous arms to lift them on high; especially when, for example, things like abortion are a huge reason many people like me vote the way I tend to vote.

harSon

Banned
reilo said:
Dobbs: "The battle for the democratic nomination is fiercer than it ever was, and Obama simply refuses to apologize for calling small-town citizens bitter."

/facepalmx2

He's from Childress, Texas - population 6,778 :lol

harSon

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Honestly, that's a terrible way to explain what he was trying to say. And completely contradictory to what he ultimately clarified.He said "clinging" wasn't a bad thing. Let the man explain it himself, to an audience of folks who were probably the most insulted by it. This is the video of the faith forum and he answers the question within the first couple minutes. Like I said, the comments rubbed me the wrong way, but his explanation definitely makes sense to me.

As an Evangelical Christian, what words in Obama's statements 'rubbed you the wrong way'?

graphic

reilo

siamesedreamer said:
Obama is gonna give a speech about class now?

:lol

No, he should give one about what it's like to be an elitist. Eventhough he's from a middle class background, raised by a single mother, paid off his own loans over 20 years, and is not funded by lobbyists.

harSon

Banned
APF said:
I don't care about whether or not my butler, maid, gardener, pool-boy, etc are happy--that's what the first and the 15th are for. But I'm also not going to try and tell them the reason they hold onto religious beliefs, or feel that abortion, or gun control, or whatever, are important issues, is because they have crappy jobs working for an ungrateful and harsh taskmaster, all because mommy government doesn't outstretch her luminous arms to lift them on high; especially when, for example, things like abortion are a huge reason many people like me vote the way I tend to vote.

So basically you twisted his words to appease your undying hatred for Obama? Your interpretation of his statements are laughable, although they are very much in line with your typical thought process. At least you're consistent :)

reilo said:
No, he should give one about what it's like to be an elitist. Eventhough he's from a middle class background, raised by a single mother, paid off his own loans over 20 years, and is not funded by lobbyists.

Who would have thought that the first outsider candidate with a real shot at the nomination in AGES would be the one classified as "elitist." And this is after the Clinton tax returns were released :lol

APF

siamesedreamer said:
Obama is gonna give a speech about class now?

lol, this is going to be the course with every one of his gaffes this year... A day or so of fast but inadequate rapid-response spin, followed by a lecture. I wonder if he's going to throw his grandfather under a bus this time.

PhoenixDark: It's all about the personality. Plus Hillary has The Bubba to give her street cred.

thekad

Banned
You sort of have to expect APF to skew and twist statements that, by themselves, are not inflammatory or complicated. It comes with the territory; he wouldn't be effective otherwise.

Tamanon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Who would have thought that the first outsider candidate with a real shot at the nomination in AGES would be the one classified as "elitist." And this is after the Clinton tax returns were released :lol

Hell, who would've thought the first black candidate that's going to get the nomination would be "elitist"?:lol

It wouldn't be a problem if he just said that his initial comments were "not relevant"

reilo

PhoenixDark said:

This is why this entire "bittergate" is such bullshit and nonsensical.

It would be like me saying that I was bigoted towards minorities because I opposed illegal immigration. Mind you, I immigrated to the United States from Europe in 1998 legally.

It's one of those cognitive dissonance situations.

Zen

Banned
APF said:
lol, this is going to be the course with every one of his gaffes this year... A day or so of fast but inadequate rapid-response spin, followed by a lecture. I wonder if he's going to throw his grandfather under a bus this time.

PhoenixDark: It's all about the personality. Plus Hillary has The Bubba to give her street cred.

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
It really is mind-boggling. Her ad is so disingenuous and sleazy, I can't even come up with proper adjectives to describe it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
APF said:
I've been making good points in a humorous fashion most my life, why?

I dunno. I haven't been following this thread much but your arguments now are making less sense than from 1 month ago.

Or maybe I'm missing the humor

APF said:
lol, this is going to be the course with every one of his gaffes this year...

I can see it now:

Obama calls Hillary "that woman" - plans major speech on sex discrimination
Obama calls McCain "old" - plans major speech on age discrimination
Obama calls Gordon Brown "mean" - plans major speech on British relations
Obama photoed smoking - plans major speech on the dangers of tobacco

APF

siamesedreamer said:
I can see it now:

Obama calls Hillary "that woman" - plans major speech on sex discrimination
Backs free trade -- plans major speech on pandering
We're still in Iraq in two years -- plans major speech on imperialism

harSon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
I can see it now:

Obama calls Hillary "that woman" - plans major speech on the sex discrimination

Your candidate should plan a thought provoking and inspirational speech on the economy... oh wait.

reilo

Couldn't take Lou Dobbs' idiocy anymore. Eventhough MSNBC is running with the story of bittergate, at least the panels surround themselves with various opposing views actually debating each other. CNN's is just one view and one view only.

Tamanon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
What the fuck does Bobby Cox know about the economy?

Probably more than McCain:(

reilo: siamese_dreamer doesn't support any candidate still in the race. I'm pretty sure he was a Mitt fan, can't remember off the top of my head.

reilo

Tamanon said:

reilo: siamese_dreamer doesn't support any candidate still in the race. I'm pretty sure he was a Mitt fan, can't remember off the top of my head.

So, he's in these threads because he's bored?

harSon

Banned
Tamanon said:

Don't be fooled, we all know who he and nearly every other Republican put off by Mccain are going to vote for once the curtains close.

Tamanon

Banned
harSon said:
Don't be fooled, we all know who he and nearly every other Republican put off by Mccain are going to vote for once the curtains close.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I mean, I'm not voting for him! Never underestimate his capability to be the next Bob Dole.

harSon

Banned
Tamanon said:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I mean, I'm not voting for him! Never underestimate his capability to be the next Bob Dole.

You've been fairly accepting of democrats thus far, he.... well yeah.

Tamanon

Banned
I think the problem with McCain is, for all the talk about people not knowing Obama or his policies, I generally have no clue what his real position is on anything other than the war.

Nah...Mitt was my early candidate, but he turned out to be a dud. After I figured that out, there wasn't anyone else for me.

McCain is all over the map. There's a lot of shit about him that pisses me off. I think he'd do decent job overall and would be a good brake pedal to the (what will be) heavy DEM Congress though.

Prolly could've leaned to Obama just because of the whole outlawing pre-existing conditions thing. But, there are like 385739 things I disagree with him about and I think the pre-exisitng thing is completely unrealistic. Plus there's the 20-year relationship with Wright.

So, at this point, I'm writing in Bobby Cox.

harSon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Nah...Mitt was my early candidate, but he turned out to be a dud. After I figured that out, there wasn't anyone else for me.

McCain is all over the map. There's a lot of shit about him that pisses me off. I think he'd do decent job overall and would be a good brake pedal to the (what will be) heavy DEM Congress though.

Prolly could've leaned to Obama just because of the whole outlawing pre-existing conditions thing. But, there are like 385739 things I disagree with him about and I think the pre-exisitng thing is completely unrealistic. Plus there's the 20-year relationship with Wright.

There is something ironic about this statement but I can't quite come up with it...

reilo

siamesedreamer said:

Really? Years after years of right-wing Christian pastors such as Jerry Falwell supporting republican candidates, and the one thing that turned you off about Obama were some comments his pastor made seven years ago?

Tamanon said:
I think the problem with McCain is, for all the talk about people not knowing Obama or his policies, I generally have no clue what his real position is on anything other than the war.

That sums it up quite well for me.

For example, the Bush tax cuts. He voted against both of them, but then backtracked saying he would make them permanent - even though we've been running massive deficits.

And then there's voting to give Social Security to illegal immigrants. That was sooooo fucked up. I overlooked it in the primary cuz I wanted to vote against Huckabee.

Tamanon

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
That sums it up quite well for me.

For example, the Bush tax cuts. He voted against both of them, but then backtracked saying he would make them permanent - even though we've been running massive deficits.

And then there's voting to give Social Security to illegal immigrants. That was sooooo fucked up. I overlooked it in the primary cuz I wanted to vote against Huckabee.

Huckabee running is probably the only reason McCain is the nominee sadly.

reilo said:
...and the one thing that turned you off about Obama were some comments his pastor made seven years ago?

Wright isn't the one thing (I outlined them way back earlier in this thread). I was kinda trending that way anyway. It just sealed the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom