• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
scorcho said:
it's a good point - the taint of being an 'elitist' will haunt Obama in the general elections, no matter how empty a label it is (at least imo). Republicans have been able to paint that angle against Democrats for decades and the media dutifully carries their water.

Not to mention, I feel like this "elitist" label can give some of those people who are not pre-disposed to vote for a African American some cover, so to speak.

"I'm not voting for Obama"

"Is it because he's black"

" Of course not- he's elitist!"

I stil think that he'll still beat McCain in the end because he's a better candidate and will have a ton more money, but I do think this is a real issue.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
artredis1980 said:
if gore was an elitist and kerry was an elitist and if we have to get rid of someone like Bush who has NOW the lowest ratings of presidential history, Ill take an elitist over a Republican any day
that's good for you, and i agree, but that says nothing about the rest of the population and how the votes were cast. for better or worst how people identify with a candidate sometimes supersedes policy stances.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
XxenobladerxX said:
GALLOPS! I must have GALLOPS!
What about some Gallups?

041508DailyUpdateGraph1_nmbvcdf.gif

Yes Hillary, keep downing those shots.

schuelma

If the next few credible/mainstream PA polls show little movement, then I think we can say that this issue is largely behind him (assuming he handles things well on Wednesday)

I think Hillary overplayed her hand.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
woeds said:

JUST WAIT ANOTHER WEEK IT'S GONNA HURT HIM PERMANENTLY AND THE GALLUP WILL REFLECT THAT

/cooltrick

EDIT: Beaten like a motherfucker with a quote from him to boot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cooltrick said:
*eyes* You people did the same thing when Rev. Wright hit. "OH, LOOK, GALLUP HAD NO CHANGE IN A POLL CONDUCTED LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THE VOTE."

Delusional delusional delusional.
Re-quoting because it's fun.

tanod

when is my burrito
So raise your hand if you think the MSM will stop whining on about Obama's comments last Friday. Complete non-issue confirmed.

>_> <_< Anybody?

SRG01

How is this not over? He's been solidly trending for a little over two weeks, with some days verging on 10%.

Even if Hillary wins PA by 10%, there's no way she can go up and say that they should back her as the democratic nominee. She's still short of delegates and nothing short of a bloody miracle can make her catch up.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guileless said:
My point is that seeming elitist hurts the chances of liberal politicians running for national office going back to Adlai Stevenson.

And hey, being black doesn't help either. How far back can you trace that to hurting a politician's chances, especially with the white working class? To the primordial ooze? (Coincidentally, Bob Herbert touches on this in today's Times.) You mention the eye of the beholder--how the fuck is it that the media only seems to care about one particular set of eyes? Who's speaking for that bitter old man in that PA diner who agreed with Obama? Or the millions who voted to overturn the GOP-controlled Congress? You know, out of sheer delight?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
One addendum and then I'll really leave yall alone: I predict Sen. Jim Webb will now be at the top of Sen. Obama's VP list. An excerpt from his 2004 book Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America:

Sen. Jim Webb said:
From the perspective of the activist Left, [rednecks] are the greatest obstacles to what might be called the collectivist taming of America, symbolized by the edicts of political correctness. And for the last fifty years the Left has been doing everything in its power to sue them, legislate against their interests, mock them in the media, isolate them as idiosyncratic, and publicly humiliate their traditions in order to make them, at best, irrelevant to America's future growth.

I want yall to vote for him!:lol

reilo

bob_arctor said:
And hey, being black doesn't help either. How far back can you trace that to hurting a politician's chances, especially with the white working class? To the primordial ooze? (Coincidentally, Bob Herbert touches on this in today's Times.) You mention the eye of the beholder--how the fuck is it that the media only seems to care about one particular set of eyes? Who's speaking for that bitter old man in that PA diner who agreed with Obama? Or the millions who voted to overturn the GOP-controlled Congress? You know, out of sheer delight?

Hillary, of course.

Wait, that don't make no sense.

SRG01

Funky Papa said:
What are the odds of Hillary wining after taking it to the convention?

Honestly? Unless she has an astronomical win after PA, chances are near-zero. It'll probably be over soon after PA since it should be clear who would win the nomination.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guileless said:
I want yall to vote for him!:lol

Too bad Obama did nothing of what he described and is not the "activist left". Webb as VP would be fine. He's against this shitty war we've been mired with and that's good enough for me.

reilo

Could Hillary hit below 40 tomorrow? She's getting real close to that number.

reilo said:
Could Hillary hit below 40 tomorrow? She's getting real close to that number.

i don't think she cares at this point, to me she seems like that spoiled kid in the playground that didn't get her slice of the cake...now she wants to bring everyone else down with her.

:D

Sorry to break the thread away from the constant back and forth of Hillary and Barack supporters, but McCain finally gave a speech on his plan for the economy. My first problem is...He should have had one long ago. I'm sure he put this one together with the aid of plenty of lobbyists. Anyway, wanted to point out a few things I have a problem with.

McCain said he wants Congress to declare a summer gas-tax holiday, suspending the 18.4-cent gas tax and 24.4-cent diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day this year. Because so many industries rely on gas for production, "these immediate steps will help to spread relief across the American economy," he said.

Dumb dumb dumb. Would it be cool to pay less for gas for a bit? Yes. Will it help the overall trend AT ALL? No. This is just like Bush's tactic of passing the $600 rebate checks. It's like...Yeah we know everything is going down hill but...HERE'S SOME MONEY FER YA! Big smile and thumbs up! Seriously, it's like something a 5-year old would think of.

As for Medicare, McCain plans to tweak the prescription drug benefit to exclude taxpayers who can afford medicine without government assistance.

No senior citizen that uses Medicare is going to go along with this. There's two things most senior citizens care about. Their social security, and their health care plan. Medicare is huge among senior citizens and is a pretty big mess to be honest. Medicare Part D has been quite confusing for a lot of senior citizens and every year Congress keeps passing rapid legislation to alter it. The problem is that this changes things and creates a lot of confusion for seniors who rely on the program. If McCain actually tries to weed people out of Medicare, groups like the AARP are going to tear into him and bring the proposal down.

harSon

Banned
Thank you very much Senator Obama. I have a question concerning this term "elitist" that is being thrown around way to much. This isn't rhetorical whatsoever, however, myself as a white person... this term the that is being used isn't far from being uppity. And I think the Clintons are getting away with something that they must be called on. They will continue to do it until someone states "Mrs. Clinton you're really close to prejudice right here, this is wrong... this man does not have anything elitist about his upbringing, never will!" And I desire a well educated person as a President right now!

I only heard the last two or so sentences, the first part is actually kind of retarded after listening to it :p

maynerd

Banned
Everytime I think about how stupid this bittergate thing is I think about what Obama said...

Obama said:
For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism. We can tackle race only as spectacle - as we did in the OJ trial - or in the wake of tragedy, as we did in the aftermath of Katrina - or as fodder for the nightly news. We can play Reverend Wright's sermons on every channel, every day and talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she's playing the race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies.

We can do that.

But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we'll be talking about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another one. And nothing will change.

That is one option. Or, at this moment, in this election, we can come together and say, "Not this time." This time we want to talk about the crumbling schools that are stealing the future of black children and white children and Asian children and Hispanic children and Native American children. This time we want to reject the cynicism that tells us that these kids can't learn; that those kids who don't look like us are somebody else's problem. The children of America are not those kids, they are our kids, and we will not let them fall behind in a 21st century economy. Not this time.

This time we want to talk about how the lines in the Emergency Room are filled with whites and blacks and Hispanics who do not have health care; who don't have the power on their own to overcome the special interests in Washington, but who can take them on if we do it together.

This time we want to talk about the shuttered mills that once provided a decent life for men and women of every race, and the homes for sale that once belonged to Americans from every religion, every region, every walk of life. This time we want to talk about the fact that the real problem is not that someone who doesn't look like you might take your job; it's that the corporation you work for will ship it overseas for nothing more than a profit.

This time we want to talk about the men and women of every color and creed who serve together, and fight together, and bleed together under the same proud flag. We want to talk about how to bring them home from a war that never should've been authorized and never should've been waged, and we want to talk about how we'll show our patriotism by caring for them, and their families, and giving them the benefits they have earned.

I would not be running for President if I didn't believe with all my heart that this is what the vast majority of Americans want for this country. This union may never be perfect, but generation after generation has shown that it can always be perfected. And today, whenever I find myself feeling doubtful or cynical about this possibility, what gives me the most hope is the next generation - the young people whose attitudes and beliefs and openness to change have already made history in this election.

Not this time folks. Not this election. We need to change our country. We need to say FU to all the BS talk. Yes we can folks. YES WE CAN!

GhaleonEB

Deus Ex Machina said:
Hillary and the media over played it. Americans are not stupid. Backlash!
I think there might actuall be one. His actual quote, and the follow-up explanations, are on the mark, and Hillary running with her distorted version so hard is pretty transparent.

schuelma

Deus Ex Machina said:
Hillary and the media over played it. Americans are not stupid. Backlash!

Hillary definitely overplayed. She should have for the most part stayed out of the way, but her whole conversion into a rural duck hunter just never was going to fly and became a story in and of itself.

Senator McCain’s economic plan offers no change from George Bush’s failed policies by going full speed ahead with fiscally irresponsible tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans that John McCain himself one said ‘offended his conscience.’ He also proposes a gift basket of new tax cuts for corporate America at a time when some CEOs are making more in a day than some workers make in a year. John McCain’s plan is one that could have been written by the corporate lobbyists who run his campaign, and probably was.
Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton

Seriously, read the economic speech that McCain gave today, and check out my post above. Take 15 seconds away from your Hillary-Barack war and read it. It's pretty weak.

maynerd

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton

Seriously, read the economic speech that McCain gave today, and check out my post above. Take 15 seconds away from your Hillary-Barack war and read it. It's pretty weak.

The comment is weak or the McCain speech is weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom