• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

ToyMachine228 said:
Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton

Seriously, read the economic speech that McCain gave today, and check out my post above. Take 15 seconds away from your Hillary-Barack war and read it. It's pretty weak.
I haven't seen a transcript, but I just read the First Read summary.

Picking up the mantle of some of GOP primary opponents, McCain also proposed the creation of an “alternative tax system” -- an idea that originated with Steve Forbes’ presidential bid and was picked up again by Rudy Giuliani. McCain’s “simpler…flatter…fairer tax code” would be optional, essentially creating two tax systems.

In his speech, McCain described the alternative system as “a vastly less complicated system with two tax rates and a generous standard deduction period,” but numbers for the new system were not available
Did he release any details on this?

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/15/893281.aspx

APF

bob_arctor said:
But you will try and tell us exactly why "they" should be disgusted and appalled at Obama's comments, correct? Even though you imply, albeit sarcastically, that you have no clue as to the small town lifestyle and are seemingly out of touch yourself. So you'd rather not talk at all about why there is bitterness and resentment to play it safe. To not step on any toes.
I think trying to focus on the origin of this alleged bitterness is essentially a red herring, although I understand why Snobama wants to do it (talking about the origins of discontent plays directly into a message of change). The reason why proles might be upset is because Obama took a delicate argument about conservatives' political positioning and absorbed a self-righteous message: that when we give more handouts to the peasants, they'll become enlightened enough to vote for what's good for them--the filthy swine--instead of voting inline with bullshit like some flying ghost or compensating for their phallic inadequacies. The idea that religious faith is a product of [regional economic] stagnation, and not a genuine expression of personal spirituality, is both telling as it pertains to Obama the man, and belittling as it pertains to the subjects at hand (hicks in flyover country). The idea that once Mom gives you some cash you'll transform into Obama's key demo of over-educated hipster douches is laughable, ignorant, and dare I say, "superior." As to whether or not Americans care about their leaders lording a superiority complex over them, you have to ask whether or not Americans care about their own social / cultural / geographic / educational inequity.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
APF said:
The idea that religious faith is a product of [regional economic] stagnation, and not a genuine expression of personal spirituality, is both telling as it pertains to Obama the man, and belittling as it pertains to the subjects at hand (hicks in flyover country). The idea that once Mom gives you some cash you'll transform into Obama's key demo of over-educated hipster douches is laughable, ignorant, and dare I say, "superior." As to whether or not Americans care about their leaders lording a superiority complex over them, you have to ask whether or not Americans care about their own social / cultural / geographic / educational inequity.

That's not what he said...

He didn't say that people SEEK out religion because of their economic woes. It was implied that these people already had religious views and values long before, but that out of their economic woes they fall back upon what they value the most, and what they know best. They can still go to church every Sunday, but when the government has failed you economically, they cannot go to work everyday at the job they want, and that's when religion, guns, bitterness, and antipathy is all you have left.

When the victims of Hurrican Katrina were left stranded by their government with no food, water, or shelter for days on end, to what did they turn to? Their religious values. Whom did they blame? Not their god - they blamed their government for failing to help them in a time of need and, naturally, grew angry at the government's failures.

maynerd

Banned
APF said:
I think trying to focus on the origin of this alleged bitterness is essentially a red herring, although I understand why Snobama wants to do it (talking about the origins of discontent plays directly into a message of change). The reason why proles might be upset is because Obama took a delicate argument about conservatives' political positioning and absorbed a self-righteous message: that when we give more handouts to the peasants, they'll become enlightened enough to vote for what's good for them--the filthy swine--instead of voting inline with bullshit like some flying ghost or compensating for their phallic inadequacies. The idea that religious faith is a product of [regional economic] stagnation, and not a genuine expression of personal spirituality, is both telling as it pertains to Obama the man, and belittling as it pertains to the subjects at hand (hicks in flyover country). The idea that once Mom gives you some cash you'll transform into Obama's key demo of over-educated hipster douches is laughable, ignorant, and dare I say, "superior." As to whether or not Americans care about their leaders lording a superiority complex over them, you have to ask whether or not Americans care about their own social / cultural / geographic / educational inequity.

You are a smart guy APF. I would even say probably smarter than I. You must be distorting what he said on purpose. However if this is your true interpretation of what Obama said then I don't know what to say.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
APF said:

While I appreciate your elitist wordiness, Obama said nothing of what you describe. That you can take his actual comments and run with them in such a manner tells me that you are only interested in masking your own distaste by pretending the common folk actually believe and think as you do. You speak for them even less then Obama does.

But that's okay as it allows you to perpetuate the elitist meme in their name. This sort of m.o. is usually affectionately labeled "Supporting The Troops".

maynerd said:
The comment is weak or the McCain speech is weak?

The speech. I'm no expert on tax code (yet) or mortgages for that matter, but what he said on those topics was pretty broad by the sounds of it anyway. His plans for the gasoline holiday and Medicare however are just dumb ideas that my 9-year old little sister could think of. Bush-like stuff.

Oh and just saw this on Politico.

Mike Allen sends over an early glimpse of a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll due out later today.

One interesting number: The poll has Obama up 5 in Indiana.

Good news. I'm not a poll monger though. And another Clinton backer today called for whoever the candidate trailing in pledged delegates is come June...Should drop out immediately.

reilo

ToyMachine228 said:
Oh and just saw this on Politico.

CoolTrick said:
Oh I feel perfectly validated after that SurveyUSA Indiana visit.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Also:

Barack Obama’s “bitter” comment may have had little immediate impact in the Democratic primary race in Pennsylvania, according to a poll out this morning.

The Quinnipiac University poll found that Hillary Clinton leads Obama 50 to 44 percent, a margin unchanged since the organization's last statewide poll at the beginning of the month.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9617.html

GhaleonEB

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/04/frank_trailing_democrat_should.php

Rep. Barney Frank said the trailing Democratic presidential candidate should drop out of the race by no later than June 3 — the date of the two last Democratic primaries — even if it is the candidate he supports, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"Probably sooner," the Massachusetts congressman added in an interview Tuesday with The Associated Press. He suggested that the trailing candidate should drop out once it became clear that candidate had no remaining practical chance of winning the nomination.
Even her supporters are starting to draw a line in the sand.

terrene

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
you_know_you__done.jpg
"AHHH! AHHH! THE BUBBLES ARE BURNING MY TONGUE!"

reilo

"And you know, once you finish the bottle, you can use the pouch to hold all of your broken dreams."

:lol

Watching last night's Daily Show. Stewart is ON.

Love the elite bit, reminds me of Maher's take on the word "elite" last year. I'll post it up when I find it.

reilo

Bill Maher New Rules said:
And finally, New Rule: Now that liberals have taken back the word, "liberal," they also have to take back the word, "elite." By now, you've heard the constant right-wing attacks on the "elite" media and the liberal "elite," who may or may not be part of the Washington "elite," a subset of the East Coast "elite," which is overly influenced by the Hollywood "elite." So, basically, unless you're a sh*t-kicker from Kansas, you're with the terrorists.

You know, if you played a drinking game where you did a shot every time Rush Limbaugh attacked someone for being elite, you'd almost be as wasted as Rush Limbaugh.

I - I don't get it. In other fields outside of government, "elite" is a good thing, like an "elite" fighting force; Tiger Woods is an "elite" golfer. If I need brain surgery, I'd like an "elite" doctor. But, in politics, "elite" is bad. The "elite" aren't down to earth and accessible like you and me and President Sh*t-for-brains.

Which is fine, except that whenever there's a Bush Administration scandal, it always traces back to some incompetent political hack appointment, and you think to yourself, where are they getting these screw-ups from? Well, now we know. From Pat Robertson. I'm not kidding.

Take Monica Goodling, who, before she resigned last week, because she's smack in the middle of the U.S. Attorneys scandal, was the third-ranking official in the Justice Department of the United States. She's 33 years old. And though she never even worked as a prosecutor, she was tasked with overseeing the job performance of all 93 U.S. Attorneys.

How do you get to the top that fast? Harvard? Princeton? No, Goodling did her undergraduate work at Messiah College. You know, Messiah, home of the Fighting Christ-ies? And then went on to attend Pat Robertson's law school. Yes, Pat Robertson, the man who said that the presence of gay people at Disney World would cause earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, has a law school.

And what kid wouldn't want to attend? It's three years, and you only have to read one book. U.S. News & World Report, which does the definitive ranking of colleges, lists Regent as a Tier Four school, which is the lowest score it gives. It's not a hard school to get into. You have to renounce Satan and draw a pirate on a matchbook.

This is for people who couldn't get into the University of Phoenix.

Now, would you care to guess how many graduates of this televangelist's diploma mill work in the Bush Administration? 150. And you wonder why things are so messed up. We're talking about a top Justice Department official who went to a college funded by a TV host. Would you send your daughter to Maury Povich U.? And if you did, would you expect her to get a job at the White House?

In 200 years, we've gone from "We, the people," to "Up With People." From "the best and the brightest" to "dumb and dumber." And where better to find people dumb enough to believe in George Bush than Pat Robertson's law school?

The problem here in America isn't that the country is being run by "elites." It's that it's being run by a bunch of hayseeds. And, by the way, the lawyer Monica Goodling just hired to keep her a$$ out of jail, went to a real law school.

Here it is.

reilo

CoolTrick said:
Uh, I trust SurveyUSA on this one.

Yet you didn't trust Gallup but trusted Rasmussen instead on the daily polls. Bravo.

APF

bob_arctor said:
While I appreciate your elitist wordiness, Obama said nothing of what you describe. That you can take his actual comments and run with them in such a manner tells me that you are only interested in masking your own distaste by pretending the common folk actually believe and think as you do. You speak for them even less then Obama does.

But that's okay as it allows you to perpetuate the elitist meme in their name. This sort of m.o. is usually affectionately labeled "Supporting The Troops".
No you're right, I'm intentionally trying to show I myself can be pretty elitist, but the point is at least I'm self-aware--at least enough to know what my words might imply to others. This is another case where Obama would have had no problem if he understood what it was he was saying; if he said, "I don't think my message resonates with some segments of the population, because conservatives have done a good job of conflating in the minds of everyday folks very real issues of economic stagnation with what they are asked to perceive as assaults on their cultural heritage or faith, and that's not going to change until we show we understand and respect those ideas and values, and demonstrate in very real concrete ways how our policies will make their lives better," then he'd be speaking truth and not being a self-righteous ass like me.

The Huffington Post has word that a list of "Cindy's Recipes" on the McCain website were apparently taken word-for-word from a Food network site.

Apparently, the sleuth was none other than a fella by the name of "Google.com"

"This past Sunday, Lauren Handel, an eagle-eyed attorney from New York, was searching for a specific recipe from Giada DeLaurentis, a chef on the Food Network. Yet whenever she Googled the different ingredients in the recipe, the oddest thing happened: not only did the Food Network's site come up, as expected, but so did John McCain's campaign site."

The McCain camp is faulting an intern.

Writes an emailer: "Ahi Tuna and Passion Fruit Mousse? Whose the elitist?"
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0408/Recipe_theft.html

cjdunn

Is this old?
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/04/14/politics/fromtheroad/entry4014458.shtml

From CBS News' Fernando Suarez said:
PHILADELPHIA -- Hillary Clinton was forced to cut her normal stump speech short when a chatty and meddlesome crowd kept her from grasping their attention. Clinton, who was addressing the Philadelphia County Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson Dinner, spoke for just over five minutes, despite having the press arrive almost two hours beforehand.

The crowd never settled down during her remarks. A spokesman for Clinton denied that she cut the speech short, and told reporters that Clinton was advised by her Pennsylvania team to deliver “a short speech" given the set up of the event.

APF said:
No you're right, I'm intentionally trying to show I myself can be pretty elitist, but the point is at least I'm self-aware--at least enough to know what my words might imply to others. This is another case where Obama would have had no problem if he understood what it was he was saying; if he said, "I don't think my message resonates with some segments of the population, because conservatives have done a good job of conflating in the minds of everyday folks very real issues of economic stagnation with what they are asked to perceive as assaults on their cultural heritage or faith, and that's not going to change until we show we understand and respect those ideas and values, and demonstrate in very real concrete ways how our policies will make their lives better," then he'd be speaking truth and not being a self-righteous ass like me.
I think CNN or Fox news would possibly pay you to appear as one of their expert analysts.

Farmboy

APF said:

Spot on. I think that's what he always intended to say, though. But the way he formulated it was very clumsy and made it come off as entirely too condescending.

GhaleonEB

grandjedi6 said:
:lol :lol
Recipe-gate. They're blaming it on an intern.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-pulls-its-proposal-for-passion-fruit-mousse/

The McCain campaign quickly moved to quell the controversy over cabbage slaw. “Apparently a web intern added Rachael Ray to our policy team without her knowing it,” McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds told CNN Tuesday morning. “He was swiftly dealt with and the page is down for revision. Our apologies to Food Network …but according to our press assistant the passion fruit mousse is really worth trying.”

Cindy McCain appears to be the only candidate spouse this year to devote a share of the official campaign Web site to recipes; neither Bill Clinton nor Michelle Obama currently have posted their favorite dishes on their spouse’s presidential sites. No word yet on when the Arizona senator's wife might unveil a new plan for the nation's Ahi tuna lovers.

Of course, why was an intern populating Cindy's section of the website? What are Cindy's down-home cookin' recipes? Our crack media team needs to dig into this scandal.

(Or, not.)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dahellisdat said:
I think CNN of Fox news would possibly pay you to appear as one of their expert analysts.

No, the media doesn't include caveats. They simply run with "elitist" and are content. They'd never devolve into self-parody as APF admits to doing here to prove his point. That would be giving them way too much credit.

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
Of course, why was an intern populating Cindy's section of the website? What are Cindy's down-home cookin' recipes? Our crack media team needs to dig into this scandal.

(Or, not.)

All her recipe's probably include oxycotton

GhaleonEB said:
Recipe-gate. They're blaming it on an intern.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-pulls-its-proposal-for-passion-fruit-mousse/

(Or, not.)

And choosing Giada and Rachel ray? Well that's just bad taste.

If they had copied some good eats recipes, now that would have been a real man of the people.

reilo

Cheebs said:
All her recipe's probably include oxycotton

If that was the case, Limbaugh would have endorsed McCain.

EDIT: Fucking Colbert. I almost choked on an omega-3 capsule I was taking when he pulled the an "ancient life form dragged itself out of the primordial soup and onto the rocky shore... it's John McCain."

APF

Dahellisdat said:
I think CNN or Fox news would possibly pay you to appear as one of their expert analysts.
Fox News couldn't pay me enough. And by that I mean: when they offered, the amount was too low. :)

CoolTrick

Banned
Oh, something interesting about latest SurveyUSA poll.

60% occured before CNN Compassion Forum, 40% After.

Clinton's support was strongest on the third day of the three-day field period.

While I'm not saying that is directly tied to the Compassion Forum, it also notes that her support was the strongest after a longer period of Bittergate being covered.

reilo

thekad said:
APF = Lou Dobbs CONFIRMED.

edit: CoolTrick: Did you see the Gallup Poll?

He's ignoring it because it does not back up his agenda, therefore he extrapolates on meaningless percentages to proclaim that he is right - it's very reminiscent of how people extrapolate during sales-age on the gaming side. None of it really makes any sense and contradicts all the raw numbers.

CoolTrick

Banned
Oh dear me dear me dear me.

Six weeks to go, surely plenty of time to make up ground, but this can't be good.

In Kentucky, Clinton 36 Lengths In Front of Sputtering Obama: In a Democratic Primary in Kentucky today, 04/15/08, five weeks to the vote, Hillary Clinton defeats Barack Obama 62% to 26%, according to a SurveyUSA poll conducted for WHAS-TV Louisville and WCPO-TV Cincinnati. Compared to an identical SurveyUSA tracking poll released two weeks ago, Obama has lost ground among men and women, young and old, conservatives and moderates. In Western KY, Clinton had led by 30, now leads by 43. In Eastern KY, Clinton had led by 52, now leads by 63. in North Central KY, Clinton had led by 30, now leads by 39. In greater Louisville, Clinton had led by 12, now leads by 16.

edit: CoolTrick: Did you see the Gallup Poll?

I did. I'm not really sure what to make of it. The problem I have with the Gallup Daily is that, although I'm sure a very respectable polling firm is using data they believe to be reliable, there's no breakdown of that data made public whatsoever. Personally, I predicted what I think is accurately happening: The remarks will probably halt most of Obama's progression in the state but aren't actually likely to win over a ton of new voters since those comments are most likely to offend people already in the Clinton Camp. Apparently a few pundits agree with this notion.

CoolTrick

Banned
Because you didn't answer the question. You said "Why would I be arguing for something I didn't believe in?"

But that's not what I asked.

I asked, point blank, do you believe the Reverend Wright controversy permanently hurt Obama in those groups I talked about? Yes or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom