• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
maximum360 said:
Was Michelle Obama on tonight?

Tomorrow night, tonight is Chris Matthews and Ed Rendell. Or maybe it was Michael Nutter and Chris Matthews, I think they're mixing the guest schedule up a tad. Nutter was just on.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
WHAT THE FUCK. was that actually a sharpton-robertson global warming video?

my god that makes me want to turn on every light in my apartment and leg press a ton.

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
WHAT THE FUCK. was that actually a sharpton-robertson global warming video?

my god that makes me want to turn on every light in my apartment and leg press a ton.

Yup, it's from Gore's new initiative.

APF

Clevinger said:
Wait, you don't believe in evolution?
Whaa? I didn't know siamesedreamer was unemployed and bitter!

Juice said:
Am I the only one who was secretly heartened by Obama's "cling to guns and religion" comment? It sounds exactly like something any irreligious person might say in that situation.

With all the Jesus bullshit Obama's (been forced to?) inject into his campaign to stave off the Muslim allegations, this whole bitter comment really represents my last hope that it's all for show and that he's actually not religious.
Well, while I'm not above thinking (hoping?) Obama's religiosity is purely tactical and not genuine, he's been preachin on it since he got the Convention pulpit in 2004.

As I think I said last night, my gut sense is that none of these folks are particularly religious at heart, but if they are my bets are on Clinton as the most genuine.

But like you, that's actually a minus in my book.

Tamanon

Banned
Plus I don't think he'd announce a running mate in the midst of Bittergate!

308xonm.png

Megalomania

thekad said:
Why are Jews voting for Clinton anyway?
tanod said:
Combination of these things:

Name recognition, her age (Jewish voters skew older), support for Israel(obviously Obama does too but his policies aren't as well known or understood despite being largely the same as Hillary's), and to a lesser degree: in-grained/historical ethnic fears/concerns/stereotypes related to the african-american community and their relations to the Jewish community.
Didn't Hillary get in trouble during Bill's term for being the first in the administration to vocally support a Palestinian state?

masud

Banned
adamsappel said:
Didn't Hillary get in trouble during Bill's term for being the first in the administration to vocally support a Palestinian state?
Yup. But she flip flopped before running for senate in NY. I wonder why?

I know the Israel Lobby is highly influential, but I think it's disgusting that you can't even so much as imply that perhaps the Palestinians have a just cause without being labeled an anti-semite or anti-Israel.

Cheebs

New SUSA PA Poll. Clinton up by 14..sigh

Here are the PA Numbers from SUSA:
Hillary Clinton 54 %
Barack Obama 40 %
Undecided 3 %

Cheebs

syllogism said:
So clearly we can conclude calling Pennsylvanians bitter has worked in Obama's favor
Wait....what? Usually the numbers trend towards Obama but they halted. It didn't HURT him but it stopped him from continuing to gain for now.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Because the previous poll had Clinton up by 18%?
It had her up by 16 last apparently it said. 2% is statistical noise as gaf likes to say.

EDIT: You are right, 18. 4% is decent movement

syllogism

Cheebs said:
It had her up by 16 last apparently it said. 2% is statistical noise as gaf likes to say.
It was 18%

e:
http://thepage.time.com/obama-shooting-hoops-on-nbcs-today/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/14/AR2008041403057.html

Looking for any possible edge, the Clinton campaign has pressed uncommitted superdelegates to view Obama's remarks as a major debacle that could harm him in November. But as of yesterday evening, there was little evidence that the electability argument is resonating.

Rep. Mike Doyle (D), an undecided superdelegate who represents Pittsburgh and surrounding towns in the Monongahela Valley, said yesterday that he was not particularly troubled by Obama's comments.

"I don't disagree with a lot of what he said. My dad was a mill worker. My grandfather was a steel mill worker, and when the steel industry collapsed, nobody's family was hurt more than mine," Doyle said. "It's not inaccurate to say a lot of politicians have come through these towns, made a lot of promises and failed to deliver. I thought he was spot-on when he said how people feel."

He added that Obama's unexpected endorsement yesterday by Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney "carries a hell of a lot more weight" than the blowup over his comments about small-town residents.

Rep. David E. Price, an uncommitted Democrat from North Carolina, which holds its primary May 6, said his frustrations are with Clinton, for the potential damage she has inflicted.

"Senator Obama could have chosen better words, but it seems to me that he's stating the obvious," Price said. "People are feeling a great deal of economic stress, anxiety, and there is a certain amount of anger out there. . . . I think it's most unfortunate that opponents simply pounce, particularly opponents in his own party."

SleazyC

Maybe I am a pessimist, but I think that any chances of seeing a Democrat elected this November are all but gone, if not slipping away slowly each day that that Democratic primary stretches on.

All the infighting and the bitter aftertaste that will be left when one candidate is elected as the Dem nominee is looking to be too damaging to me.

theBishop

Banned
maximum360 said:
Hillary doesn't have a genuine bone in her body. She's the pandering master by far.

Crown Royale has got to be one of the most elitist shots you could do. I'm surprised they didn't do shots of Remy Martin VSOP.

Its not even AMERICAN whiskey!!

theBishop

Banned
Does anyone know how delegates in PA are awarded? In the general, Pittsburg and Philadelphia are usually enough to push the whole state blue. If Philadelphia goes heavily for Obama, how does that affect the whole state?

Cheebs

That Quin. poll was taken WED. through Sunday. Meaning it has 3 days of data without the scandal.

Also Rasmussen has a new PA poll out today.

Clinton increases her lead from 5 to 9 they say.

theBishop said:
Does anyone know how delegates in PA are awarded? In the general, Pittsburg and Philadelphia are usually enough to push the whole state blue. If Philadelphia goes heavily for Obama, how does that affect the whole state?
I dont think anyone is worried about the delegate count at all at this point anymore. It's mostly about keeping hillary from gaining that dumb popular vote talking point.

gcubed

Kildace

Cheebs said:
That Quin. poll was taken WED. through Sunday. Meaning it has 3 days of data without the scandal.

Which probably implies that there was a slight uptick from Wednesday to Friday (around +3), nixed by the Friday evening - Saturday - Sunday. This is the brunt of the "scandal", it won't get any more media exposure than it did last week-end. -3 or -4% a week from the primary is not that bad and can be regained easily if all of this backfires in the coming days.

Cheebs said:
Also Rasmussen has a new PA poll out today.

Clinton increases her lead from 5 to 9 they say.

-4% again. Really, it's not that worrying. That much media attention will bring polls down, no matter whether people agree or not. It's still a very far cry from the Wright scandal.

syllogism

Kildace said:
Which probably implies that there was a slight uptick from Wednesday to Friday (around +3), nixed by the Friday evening - Saturday - Sunday. This is the brunt of the "scandal", it won't get any more media exposure than it did last week-end. -3 or -4% a week from the primary is not that bad and can be regained easily if all of this backfires in the coming days.

Actually Quinnipiac says there was no noticeable movement in the April 12-13 polling.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Juice said:
Am I the only one who was secretly heartened by Obama's "cling to guns and religion" comment?

I'm sure lots of people are heartened. But probably not an electoral majority. And before this gaffe, were you legitimately worried that Sen. Obama's faith would cause him to deviate from orthodox liberal positions? That would be tough to argue.

Cheebs

Kildace said:
-4% again. Really, it's not that worrying. That much media attention will bring polls down, no matter whether people agree or not. It's still a very far cry from the Wright scandal.
I hope you are right but a week before an election is cutting it close.

Also:

In Pennsylvania, 75% of Likely Primary Voters have heard of the remarks. Thirty-five percent (35%) agree and 51% disagree. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Obama supporters agree with the comments while 25% disagree. Among Clinton supporters, 73% disagree.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) say that the comments reflect an elitist view of small town America. Forty-eight percent (48%) disagree.
Most Clinton voters (57%) believe Obama’s comments reflect an elitist view while Obama voters overwhelmingly reject that notion.

Well, actually I think it's a good thing that Clinton still shows a double digit lead in the polls. It puts the burden on Clinton to come out with a big win while Obama downplays expectations (and takes away the media's chance at spinning this as "Obama is running neck and neck with Hillary in the polls is might take PA" which was never likely to begin with). Then the next day after Obama loses they'll push the "oh, he outspent her by 3 to 1, how could he lose? It looks like Pennsylvania voters have changed their mind about Obama. Momentum has shifted in Hillary's favor. Hillary Clinton, the comeback kid again.."

If he can make some gains in the next week to keep it to single digits, it will spell the beginning of the end for her campaign. Even Wolf "Spinmaster" Blitzer will realize that he can only push that "this race is still neck and neck" crap so far before conceding that Hillary is done. If she loses in Indiana she will go the route of the Huckster. Everything else will be of little consequence.

GhaleonEB

This cracked me up.

What will they call it? Farfallegate? Rosemary Chicken Dome Scandal? Perhaps something with the ubiquitous Rachael Ray in it.

It seems that Cindy McCain, John McCain's perfect, blonde beer-baroness wife is about to find herself painted as the latest example of plagiarism on the campaign trail.

This past Sunday, Lauren Handel, an eagle-eyed attorney from New York, was searching for a specific recipe from Giada DeLaurentis, a chef on the Food Network. Yet whenever she Googled the different ingredients in the recipe, the oddest thing happened: not only did the Food Network's site come up, as expected, but so did John McCain's campaign site.

On a section of McCain's site called "Cindy's Recipes," you can find seven recipes attributed to Cindy McCain, each with the heading "McCain Family Recipe." Ms. Handel quickly realized that some of the "McCain Family Recipes," were in fact, word-for-word copies of recipes on the Food Network site.

At least three of the "McCain Family Recipes" appear to be lifted directly from the Food Network, while at least one is a Rachael Ray recipe with minor changes

Recipe-gate? :p

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-weiner/mccain-family-recipes-lif_b_96666.html

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How the fuck does anyone view that statement as elitist?

I honestly am puzzled as to how commenting on the frustrations of individuals with regards to their government, and the fact that they are relying on safety nets of faith and personal rights because their government isn't doing its job, is an elitist comment.

I was puzzled when I first heard people thought it was elitist.

I'm still puzzled even after hearing the explanations and rationale behind that argument.

How far do you have to stretch to criticize Obama?

What I find funny is that all of these obama scandals seem to completely contradict the person he is.

You have the whole muslim thing, when he's been a devout christian for many years.
You had the whole image of him being the privileged candidate and the elitist candidate that looks down on people when he worked out of his car on a $10,000 salary doing community work, and serving as a lecturing professor in law school.

Wtf

Wt

GhaleonEB

Daily Rasmussen:

Obama leads Clinton 50% to 41%

Up 3% from yesterday, which was up from the day before. Yeah, it's Rasmussen, but I'd say he's weathering this storm just fine.

lopaz

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
How the fuck does anyone view that statement as elitist?

I honestly am puzzled as to how commenting on the frustrations of individuals with regards to their government, and the fact that they are relying on safety nets of faith and personal rights because their government isn't doing its job, is an elitist comment.

I was puzzled when I first heard people thought it was elitist.

Well when he spoke of "clinging to religion and guns" that suggests that those issues aren't important. I agree with him there, but to the people who care about them, being told the issues you care about are just a result of your bitterness could well come off as patronising

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
Daily Rasmussen:

Obama leads Clinton 50% to 41%

Up 3% from yesterday, which was up from the day before. Yeah, it's Rasmussen, but I'd say he's weathering this storm just fine.
They said it hurt him in PA though. They had Clinton's lead in PA go from 5 to 9 today and said most did not agree with what Obama said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom