• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lefty42o said:
he is nothing like the clips made him seem. i feel a serious injustice has been done by the hack job media to a true american patriot. fucking shame this is the world and country we live in.

Bay Buchanan just said regardless of the context the man is still horrible and Obama is at fault now with his campaign. This was on CNN.

Triumph

Banned
Lefty42o said:
i wasn't bashing him but i personally would have not attended that church but have attended some similar in the past. i also would not hold it against obama.

but now my whole opinion of the church is diff and i am down right angry over this joke of a media. where was the media debunking this shit. they were all asleep on the motherfucking job.
I had never been angry or anything about what Wright said, but after seeing the sermons in context I am comfortable saying that if I believed in God and wanted to participate in an organized religion, I would feel completely comfortable with that man as my pastor. Too bad I'm a lazy Buddhist.

Lefty42o

Banned
Triumph said:
I had never been angry or anything about what Wright said, but after seeing the sermons in context I am comfortable saying that if I believed in God and wanted to participate in an organized religion, I would feel completely comfortable with that man as my pastor. Too bad I'm a lazy Buddhist.

no doubt. i was thinking the same thing

I just wrote Roland S. Martin ask him to just sit back and tell people to watch the entire video, that is all he needs to say to make his point.

Roland is not a great representative of Obama if he is trying to sway the white voters quoting bible scripture from Reverend Wright.

On Bill Richardson -- OMG awesome energy at this mornings rally! I hope this starts a string of superdelegates jumping on the Obama bandwagon.

mckmas8808

So why aren't many talking about how the speech are turning the tide for Barack Obama in the polls?

I mean didn't they talk about the polls alot when he started losing support?

gkryhewy

mckmas8808 said:
So why aren't many talking about how the speech are turning the tide for Barack Obama in the polls?

PD somehow isn't in the mood to create sarcastic posts stacking 10 poll trends when they're moving in favor of "the mob."

gkrykewy said:
PD somehow isn't in the mood to create sarcastic posts stacking 10 poll trends when they're moving in favor of "the mob."

One poll doesn't prove your point. While the Gallup poll seems to suggest Obama is recovering we still don't know everything. We DO know the incident hurt him with independents and whites. Obviously a Penn. loss won't prove that the Wright situation "doomed" him; there's a possibility that he'd lose that state regardless of Wright's comments. But if he gets blown out by 30% there (which even I know is unlikely) it'll be concerning to his camp

GhaleonEB

mckmas8808 said:

Not enough data at this point. The daily tracking polls and polls in response to the speech have been positive, but it's going to take national and upcoming primary state polls to show that it had a material impact for the press to cover it. They seem to come at the beginning of every week.

mckmas8808

PhoenixDark said:
One poll doesn't prove your point. While the Gallup poll seems to suggest Obama is recovering we still don't know everything. We DO know the incident hurt him with independents and whites. Obviously a Penn. loss won't prove that the Wright situation "doomed" him; there's a possibility that he'd lose that state regardless of Wright's comments. But if he gets blown out by 30% there (which even I know is unlikely) it'll be concerning to his camp

Wouldn't getting beat by 30% in Penn. been bad regardless of the Wright story?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Wow, that Wright video almost makes me want to attend his church. He's no different than MLK talking about the cycle of terrorism and violence.

It was obvious from the beginning that his words were being taken out of context and he was being mischaracterized as some sort of angry anti-American racist crazy jew-hating black supremacist. Oprah is a member of this church. This church is world-renowned for it's progressiveness, being one of the few (black) churches that is pro-gay marriage. That's what infuriated me so much about this, is that everyone was being so reactionary and failed to do any of their own research.. but I'm sure the ABC and Fox News reporters who created this controversy were well aware of what they were doing. They went through hours of footage to amass this "greatest hits of incendiary remarks" - many of which weren't even particularly incendiary or radical, just provocative. At first I though people were just bothered by his tone, which is understandable, but then it became clear that a lot of these media talking heads actually believe that he is a racist america-hater. Pathetic.

Anyway, it wouldn't make any difference if they played the full sermons - the damage is already done.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
You people don't fucking get it, do you? It doesn't matter if this shit has any substance, is true, mischaracterized, etc. At the end of the day, the initial coverage makes an impact, and the subsequent 'correction' -if there even are any- don't. Its just a game, and at the end of he day, something else to add to the bulleted list. Ie Muslim ties, attended a madrassa, NAFTA, Rezko, Wright, etc. All of them are pretty much bullshit or irrelevant at their core, but the important thing is getting a 'list' so you get that candidate muddied up.

harSon

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Bay Buchanan just said regardless of the context the man is still horrible and Obama is at fault now with his campaign. This was on CNN.

Bay Buchanan is the last person who should be labeling someone else as a horrible human. I seem to recall her comments regarding Mexicans.

Slurpy said:
You people don't fucking get it, do you? It doesn't matter if this shit has any substance, is true, mischaracterized, etc. At the end of the day, the initial coverage makes an impact, and the subsequent 'correction' -if there even are any- don't. Its just a game, and at the end of he day, something else to add to the bulleted list. Ie Muslim ties, attended a madrassa, NAFTA, Rezko, Wright, etc. All of them are pretty much bullshit or irrelevant at their core, but the important thing is getting a 'list' so you get that candidate muddied up.

Thats what I said.

In fact, I said pretty much the same thing - it plays into the fears people already have about Obama, etc. - in that locked thread. And you said "NO THIS WON'T BE A MEGATON IT'S A NON-STORY" :lol

unifin

Wow - that sermon was really, really excellent. Rev. Wright may be pessimistic about the future state of race relations, but in that video he is spot on.

mckmas8808

Star Power said:
It was obvious from the beginning that his words were being taken out of context and he was being mischaracterized as some sort of angry anti-American racist crazy jew-hating black supremacist. Oprah is a member of this church. This church is world-renowned for it's progressiveness, being one of the few (black) churches that is pro-gay marriage. That's what infuriated me so much about this, is that everyone was being so reactionary and failed to do any of their own research.. but I'm sure the ABC and Fox News reporters who created this controversy were well aware of what they were doing. They went through hours of footage to amass this "greatest hits of incendiary remarks" - many of which weren't even particularly incendiary or radical, just provocative. At first I though people were just bothered by his tone, which is understandable, but then it became clear that a lot of these media talking heads actually believe that he is a racist america-hater. Pathetic.

Anyway, it wouldn't make any difference if they played the full sermons - the damage is already done.

Yeah now that you mention it, how in the heck did they go through hours of footage just to get 30 seconds worth from 3 or 4 different sermons.

Wouldn't this be proof enough that they could only find 35 seconds worth of bad (like) stuff after reviewing literally hours and hours of sermons that occurred over a 7 year period?

Wouldn't this in itself prove that Obama is right in the sense that this stuff doesn't happen that often? At this point isn't it just pure logic?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah now that you mention it, how in the heck did they go through hours of footage just to get 30 seconds worth from 3 or 4 different sermons.

Wouldn't this be proof enough that they could only find 35 seconds worth of bad (like) stuff after reviewing literally hours and hours of sermons that occurred over a 7 year period?

Wouldn't this in itself prove that Obama is right in the sense that this stuff doesn't happen that often? At this point isn't it just pure logic?

It'll really be something if the same media that concocted this non-story opts not to touch the Hillary Bosnia thing.

ralexand said:
Wow, that Wright video almost makes me want to attend his church. He's no different than MLK talking about the cycle of terrorism and violence.
And it looks/sounds far more entertaining than any church service I've been to!

mckmas8808

Odrion said:
My god, it's so sad that no one will publicly address just how this huge thing was half taken out of context.

I seriously don't understand how 20 people on GAF and plenty of other people on the internet can see the distrotion of the video, yet the MSM keeps saying this is that one thing that will stop Obama from being president.

I hate to say this (especially because we have plenty of good heart white people here and with Obama's speech and all I kinda feel bad saying it), but if this particular thing was to stop Obama from being president wouldn't this kinda prove that race relations in America are worst than most of us thought?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
speculawyer said:
And it looks/sounds far more entertaining than any church service I've been to!

Seriously. Sad that he retired; I would have gone there at least once to experience his preaching in person. Entertaining, enlightening, educational.

Pimpwerx

I laugh at those people who say Obama has to get more aggressive and get dirty to beat Clinton and win the GE. I say staying above the fray has worked to his advantage. The networks are running out of ammo. I think they'll have to finally call this race before PA. PEACE.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
With the release of Wright's full sermons, is anyone else even more impressed with Obama's judgment? It is clear to me why he spent 20 years associated with the man.

mckmas8808

mashoutposse said:
With the release of Wright's full sermons, is anyone else even more impressed with Obama's judgment? It is clear to me why he spent 20 years associated with the man.

What I think is sad, is that you have 15 people everyday saying how Obama might lose due to his lack of judgment.

And that he shouldn't have let his daughters around this guy when he was preaching.

AniHawk said:
Jesus, did the Richardson thing dry up already?

Obama should just drop the bomb right now and name him VP
at least it would give the media another target to dig up dirt on... this news cycle is really getting boring

mckmas8808 said:
What I think is sad, is that you have 15 people everyday saying how Obama might lose due to his lack of judgment.

And that he shouldn't have let his daughters around this guy when he was preaching.

"HOW COULD HE SIT AND LISTEN TO THIS FILTH FOR TWENTY YEARS?!?!" :lol :lol

Ugh, Pat Buchanan is such a cunt.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
mckmas8808 said:

They (the media) need to apologize to the man.

vdo

What I find admirable is that Obama didn't just immediately completely turn against Rev. Wright and destroy their friendship over this. There was some political risk in making the speech he did, but he believed in it enough to do it.

To me, this gives more confidence that in other situations as president, where quick judgment needs to be made, he would refrain from the expected, purely political, knee-jerk reactions and instead take the time to think things out and do what he felt was the best course of action.

mckmas8808

vdo said:
What I find admirable is that Obama didn't just immediately completely turn against Rev. Wright and destroy their friendship over this. There was some political risk in making the speech he did, but he believed in it enough to do it.

To me, this gives more confidence that in other situations as president, where quick judgment needs to be made, he would refrain from the expected, purely political, knee-jerk reactions and instead take the time to think things out and do what he felt was the best course of action.

Yep. Again if Obama is elected President plenty of books and TV shows will make this their pivotal point in the story.

Just like you said he did the right thing, because he knew that Wright wasn't what the MSM was making him out to be. Just imagine a guy like Obama combined with some great foreign policy experience people!!!

The thought process and speech giving skills of Obama and a great foreign policy team could do some wonders overseas.

dasein

its a good sign for a presidential candidate to exhibit solid and quick judgment in light of complex difficulties (knowing how to react appropriately, not damaging friendships, keeping his cool, etc.)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
mckmas8808 said:
Yep. Again if Obama is elected President plenty of books and TV shows will make this their pivotal point in the story.

Just like you said he did the right thing, because he knew that Wright wasn't what the MSM was making him out to be. Just imagine a guy like Obama combined with some great foreign policy experience people!!!

The thought process and speech giving skills of Obama and a great foreign policy team could do some wonders overseas.

Maybe he'll bring on Richardson as a foreign policy guy. They share essentially the same view on how to deal with the rest of the world.

TheLegend

Just read an article on bluejersey.com that said a superdelegate staffer of Bob Menendez might be switching from Clinton to Obama. That would be great in itself, but the article says that Menendez himself (who's been obnoxious in his support for Clinton) might switch. If she starts losing superdelegates in her own "backyard", that might show that she really is out of this thing. Can't link to it because I'm on my iPod touch but it was one of the first blog posts on the site.

Oh and Menendez, a Cuban-American, may have been influenced by Richardson's endorsement. Like I said he's been a hardcore Hillary supporter, so I doubt he he switches, but if he does it won't look good for her.

lopaz

Banned
It sucks that Hillary's tomfoolery means that Obama isn't going to get the landslide against Mccain that he could've got otherwise. A big win in the general could have given him license to do all sorts

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
TheLegend said:
Just read an article on bluejersey.com that said a superdelegate staffer of Bob Menendez might be switching from Clinton to Obama. That would be great in itself, but the article says that Menendez himself (who's been obnoxious in his support for Clinton) might switch. If she starts losing superdelegates in her own "backyard", that might show that she really is out of this thing. Can't link to it because I'm on my iPod touch but it was one of the first blog posts on the site.

http://bluejersey.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=825595ACA3B3FAF8DD461FE77560877D?diaryId=7207

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
mckmas8808 said:
I seriously don't understand how 20 people on GAF and plenty of other people on the internet can see the distrotion of the video, yet the MSM keeps saying this is that one thing that will stop Obama from being president.
MSM depends on ratings. The ratings are higher when there's conflict, and if there's not, they just concoct it. Clinton has virtually no shot at getting this thing, even by admission of her own top staffers, but that won't stop the media from pretending it's neck-and-neck and she could easily pull it off. Whatever keeps that perception afloat is what's going to lead the headlines.

Money ruins so many things.

v1cious

Banned
lopaz said:
It sucks that Hillary's tomfoolery means that Obama isn't going to get the landslide against Mccain that he could've got otherwise. A big win in the general could have given him license to do all sorts

never underestimate the power of a young black guy against more of the same.

lopaz

Banned
v1cious said:
never underestimate the power of a young black guy against more of the same.

Mccain's not exactly a weak candidate. He's a war hero, a reknowned maverick, and even has a good rapport with John Stewart!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
lopaz said:
Mccain's not exactly a weak candidate. He's a war hero, a reknowned maverick, and even has a good rapport with John Stewart!
The more people hear him talk for the next 7 months, the more people will see this is no longer true.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
McCain's wishy washyness during the bush years is going to come back to haunt him hardcore in the general.

Dan said:
The more people hear him talk for the next 7 months, the more people will see this is no longer true.
Yeah, he has whored himself the Christian right such that his once 'Maverick' reputation is gone. And he is getting a bit old and doesn't seem to be thinking as clearly. He'll probably have some 'senior moments' between now & the election.

But the again, competence doesn't seem to be something the American electorate really cares about.

AniHawk

speculawyer said:
Yeah, he has whored himself the Christian right such that his once 'Maverick' reputation is gone. And he is getting a bit old and doesn't seem to be thinking as clearly. He'll probably have some 'senior moments' between now & the election.

But the again, competence doesn't seem to be something the American electorate really cares about.

Especially when IRAN AL-QAEDA EXTREMISTS COULD COME RIGHT INTO YOUR HOUSE AND KILL YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom