• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
Slurpy said:
So now Hillary has a better record of leveling with he American people than Obama?

And howcome you never, ever answer any simple questions posed to you in a straight manner? It was a yes or no question, yet you constantly evade these questions for fear of admitting to hypocrisy.
Well, she is the most transparent figure in American politics, according to no less a source than herself!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Triumph said:
Well, she is the most transparent figure in American politics, according to no less a source than herself!

And CoolTrick.

GhaleonEB

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4527837

Republican Crossovers Fuel Record Democratic Voter Registration in Pennsylvania

State Democratic party officials touted a record-level four million registered Democratic voters in anticipation of the upcoming primary on April 22. The Philadelphia suburbs and the state's central region, including counties where Republicans still outnumber Democrats, had some of the highest proportions of party-switchers.

While many of the new Democrats appear to be moderates or independents who simply want to be a part of the process, county voter registration officials in central Pennsylvania told ABCNews.com that many new registrants spoke openly about changing their party affiliation to give McCain "a better shot in November."

Officials in Perry and Northumberland counties in central Pennsylvania told ABCNews.com that quite a few new registrants said they were switching to help the Republican party in the fall. Both counties are historically conservative, having voted for Bush in 2004 in wide margins, but the number of voters changing their party affiliation to Democrat this year is proportionally large, said the officials.

The pattern echoes the Republican crossovers in the run-up to the Texas and Ohio primaries, which some political experts attributed to calls from conservatives like Rush Limbaugh for Republicans to register and vote for Sen. Hillary Clinton to prevent Obama from locking up the nomination and prolong the spectacle of the two Democratic candidates attacking each other.

CoolTrick said:
That's an exaggeration, but it's been backed up by numerous polls - most recently a Gallup one - that show a significantly higher defection rate if Obama is the nominee over Clinton.

I don't see why that wouldn't make sense. Clinton's coalition is compromised more of traditionally swing voters. Obama's coalition is like the the left equivalent of the social conservatives -- they're not gonna vote for the opposite party en masse no matter what.

28% voting for mccain is not half of the party

similiarly, 18% also said they would vote for McCain if Hillary is nominated

why isnt that said, if 28% is half, then 18% would be 40%

Another superdelegate endorses Obama

WASHINGTON - Congressman Dan Lipinski is backing U.S. Senator Barack Obama's presidential bid.

Lipinski had been one of the two remaining holdouts among Democratic superdelegates in Illinois' congressional delegation. He says he's endorsed Obama because of the candidate's emphasis on overcoming partisanship and uniting the country.

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2008/03/26/ap-state-il/d8vl71080.txt

GhaleonEB said:
Obama's site has part of it up.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gGBhQS

Still looking for the rest. I cought the tail end of his speech, and some of the questions. It was great to hear him not shying away from some questions, and even embracing discussion of Wright and the media portrayal.
News outlets have aready picked up on the remark he made about his church... nevermind anything else he said in his speech.
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Obama defended his controversial former pastor the Rev. Jeremiah Wright today, on the heels of statements by Hillary Clinton that she would have left Wright's church had she been in Obama's place.

Obama invited the audience in Greensboro to come to Trinity United Church, the church Wright founded and where he preached for 30 years. Obama called it a "wonderful, welcoming church" that had a pastor who was "trying to teach a lesson connecting scripture to our daily lives and people struggle with illness and family and finances and all the things that people normally talk about."

Turning to Wright, Obama said his "former pastor said some objectionable things when I wasn't in church on those particular days, and I have condemned them out right."

But trying to contextualize Wright's comments, Obama added, "I do have to remind people though this is somebody who was preaching at least three sermons at least a week for 30 years. And so, [sic] got boiled down; They found five or six of his most offensive statements, boiled that down to a … half-minute sound clip and just played it over and over again."

He said the clips spoke "to some of the racial divisions that we have in this country and tapped into those divisions. I hope people don't get distracted by this because as I said in my speech last week on Tuesday; we can't afford to be distracted."

Yesterday, Clinton had said in an interview that individuals can't choose their relatives, but they can choose their churches. Her comments followed a week of silence on the issue and statements praising Obama's speech.

Asked about religion on the stump, Obama started to raise the issue of Wright's comments on his own last week and appeared critical of the media for replaying them on an "endless loop you YouTube and cable news," he has said, repeating a line from the Philadelphia speech.

Today, he told the majority African-American crowd that Trinity belonged to a majority white denomination, an unusual statement that the senator has never made before.

"United Church of Christ is, by the way, a 99 percent white denomination," Obama said.

Today, speaking to the young, white man who had asked Obama about his faith, he said that focusing on Wright was a distraction.

"You and I, we are both Christians," Obama said to the young man. "And even if you’re not a Christian, we are both Americans. And we cannot solve the problems of America, if every time somebody somewhere says something stupid that everybody gets up in arms."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/26/819290.aspx

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
CoolTrick said:
I'll happily answer this in a straight forward manner:

In my opinion?

Yup.

Cool. At least you admit to be being delusional. It's just a minor detail that pretty much every fact out there goes against your opinion. Don't worry, noone actually expects you to justify your statement in anyway, don't don't trouble yourself.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Slurpy said:
Cool. At least you admit to be being delusional. It's just a minor detail that pretty much every fact out there goes against your opinion. Don't worry, noone actually expects you to justify your statement in anyway, don't don't trouble yourself.

I think he will justify his position. In fact, I'll hold my breath until it happens.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

gkryhewy

Uhh... I was just polled again, this time by a real person (McGuire? opinion). That's weird - twice in one night.

But this gave me an opportunity to say that I have an unfavorable view of Hillary, so that felt good.

GhaleonEB said:
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/03/in_letter_a_dozen_top_clinton.php

This is some ass-back wards reasoning and distortion of what Pelosi said. She said that at the end of the process, the super delegates should not over-turn the will of the electorate as shown by the pledged delegates won. It shows how nasty this is getting, with Hillary's supporters going after other powerful members of the party.

First off, telling Pelosi what she should and shouldn't do=stupid stupid idea. Who do they think they are

Second off their history is a bit off. Super delegates were created to ensure an unelectable candidate didn't get the nomination, not for their "independent" wit. Granted they can do whatever they want and ARE independent, but voting for Clinton in mass would be tantamount to party suicide. If Obama has a 100 lead on Hillary in June, he should be the nominee end of story. Even if it's a 50 delegate lead. And considering the super delegates were created to ensure the health of the party...yeah

npm0925

Hillary made up another story, this time about how Chelsea almost died on 9/11:

Interviewed on the “Today Show” one week after Sept. 11, she spun an elaborate yarn. The kindest thing we could say was that it was a fantasy. Or a fabrication.

She said that Chelsea was jogging around the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 and happened to duck into a coffee shop when the airplanes hit. She said that this move saved Chelsea’s life. But Chelsea told Talk magazine that she was in a friend’s apartment four miles from ground zero when the first plane hit. Her friend called her, waking her up, and told her to turn on the TV. On television, she saw the second plane hit, disproving Hillary’s claim that “she heard the plane hit. She heard it. She did.”
:lol

Alcander

From The Hill:

I predict that sooner than people expect there will be major movement among leading superdelegates who are uncommitted toward Barack Obama.

Stay tuned, I will have more to say on this soon, and predict we will see public evidence of superdelegate movement to Obama and against Clinton within a time period measured in days, not weeks.

Official Breaking news poll: Wright Drama has NOT hurt Obama

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120657171729866843.html?mod=politics_primary_hs
The racially charged debate over Barack Obama's relationship with his longtime pastor hasn't much changed his close contest against Hillary Clinton, or hurt him against Republican nominee-in-waiting John McCain, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll.

Democratic pollster Peter Hart, who conducts the Journal/NBC polls with Republican pollster Bill McInturff, called the latest poll a "myth-buster" that showed the pastor controversy is "not the beginning of the end for the Obama campaign."

But both Democrats, and especially New York's Sen. Clinton, are showing wounds from their prolonged and increasingly bitter nomination contest, which could weaken the ultimate nominee for the general-election showdown against Sen. McCain of Arizona. Even among women, who are the base of Sen. Clinton's support, she now is viewed negatively by more voters than positively for the first time in a Journal/NBC poll.

The latest survey has the Democratic rivals in a dead heat, each with 45% support from registered Democratic voters. That is a slight improvement for Sen. Obama, though a statistically insignificant one, from the last Journal/NBC poll two weeks ago, which had Sen. Clinton leading among Democratic voters, 47% to 43%.

While Sen. Clinton still leads among white Democrats, her edge shrank to eight points (49% to 41%) from 12 points in early March (51% to 39%). That seems to refute widespread speculation -- and fears among Sen. Obama's backers -- that he would lose white support for his bid to be the nation's first African-American president over the controversy surrounding his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. of Chicago.

Had that erosion happened, party leaders' reassessment of Sen. Obama's electability could have tipped the race to Sen. Clinton's favor. Weathering the episode could strengthen his standing among the party leaders nationwide -- the superdelegates -- whose votes are likely to break the impasse.

Beyond the nomination race, in hypothetical matchups for November's election Sen. Obama still edges Sen. McCain 44% to 42%. That is nearly the same result as in the early March poll, before videos of Mr. Wright's most fiery sermons spread over the Internet. But Sen. Clinton, who likewise had a narrow advantage over Sen. McCain in the earlier survey, trails in this one by two points, 44% to his 46%.

The poll was conducted Monday and Tuesday, a week after Sen. Obama delivered a generally well-received address on race. The poll's margin for error is 3.7 percentage points for questions put to a cross-section of 700 registered voters, and slightly higher for those questions put only to subgroups of Democratic, Republican or black voters.

As reassuring as the poll is for Sen. Obama, Mr. Hart and Mr. McInturff agreed that it did indicate that a substantial number of voters question whether the first-term senator would be a safe choice, or whether more needs to be known about him. Mr. McInturff said some voters are wondering, "Do we know enough about this guy?"

While the senator's support among Democrats is little changed, he did slip among conservatives and Republican voters, groups that had shown some attraction to Sen. Obama's message of changing partisan politics in Washington.

"I think the survey does indicate that this has taken a little of the patina off Sen. Obama," Mr. McInturff said.

But the pollster also saw "some evidence here that Sen. Obama's speech did him well." The candidate's support for his handling of the Wright matter was stronger among those voters who said they saw his 37-minute speech.

In the Philadelphia address, which Sen. Obama wrote and titled "A More Perfect Union," he criticized his former pastor for his condemnations of the U.S. for its injustices to blacks, but refused to renounce him.

He also sought to explain to both blacks and whites the grievances that each holds against the other, while urging both to recognize their real enemies are shared ones -- chiefly economic and educational inequality, and the job losses from globalization.

The Clinton campaign had steered clear of the Wright controversy, until Sen. Clinton this week told interviewers she would have found a new minister had hers made the remarks Mr. Wright did. Sen. Obama for two decades has attended the 8,000-member Chicago church where Mr. Wright, who retired recently, was pastor.

The negativity of the Obama-Clinton contest seems to be hurting Sen. Clinton more, the poll shows. A 52% majority of all voters says she doesn't have the background or values they identify with. But 50% say Sen. Obama does share their values, and 57% agree that Sen. McCain does.

Also, fewer voters hold positive views of Sen. Clinton than did so just two weeks ago in the Journal/NBC poll. Among all voters, 48% have negative feelings toward her and 37% positive, a decline from a net positive 45% to 43% rating in early March. While 51% of African-American voters have positive views, that is down 12 points from earlier this month, before the Wright controversy.

More ominous for Sen. Clinton is the net-negative rating she drew for the first time from women, one of the groups where she has drawn most support. In this latest poll, voters with negative views narrowly outstrip those with positive ones, 44% to 42%. That compares with her positive rating from 51% of women in the earlier March poll.

Both she and Sen. Obama showed five-point declines in positive ratings from white voters. But where she is viewed mostly negatively, by 51% to 34% of whites, Sen. Obama's gets a net positive rating, by 42% to 37%. Among all voters, he maintained a significant positive-to-negative score of 49% to 32%—similar to Sen. McCain's 45% to 25%.

The toll on both Democrats from their rhetorical brawling is evident in these poll findings: About a fifth of Clinton voters say they would support Sen. McCain if she isn't the Democratic nominee, and likewise a fifth of Obama voters say they would do the same if he isn't the party standard-bearer.

methodman said:
Hillary lying again? What a surprise
Well, if this is true, this was just another bullshit story she came up with a long time ago...apparently to endear New Yorkers to their new non-native New York senator and, of course, like any opportunistic politician, she was riding the headlines. Seriously, this clear and long-running pattern of 'misstatement' is dragging her character into the ground as if her campaign politics of late weren't enough to do so. The Tonya Harding option seems to fit better and better as the aggressor is the one who ended up most fucked.

If the press picks up on any more of her fabrications she'll have to worry less about Obama's electability and more on her own. Yikes.

:lol

VPhys

How are the democratic party leaders saying this race will be over come June (per Hardball). That's over a month away. So much can happen between then and now. If they want to end it why not end it now.

kbear

I haven't been paying extremely close attention to the state of affairs for a while now but from what I can tell... the Pastor issue is quickly becoming old news. The 6 week wait between the last primary and Pennsylvania was ideal. Obama is back on top in the polls as well, is he not? Just looking at Drudge the past few days, you can tell the sentiment has changed.

Kittonwy

Banned
Alma Dale Campbell Brown, you are so cute, the only reason I would watch CNN Election Center. Rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

gkryhewy

Alcander said:

'bout time.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Neat, what was the question?

First question was about my political affiliation. After I selected DEM, it asked Hillary/Obama. After that, it asked about a state senate race (I randomly selected one of the candidates who hasn't been mailing me shit every day, as that guy clearly hates the environment and came into a suspiciously large sum of money for a state senate race).

This was followed about a half hour later by a human call, which again asked my party and whether I intended to vote, then asked hillary/obama, then asked whether I had a favorable or unfavorable view of hillary (not obama), then asked about my education level, race, and religion (NONE! take that, pollsters!), then asked a series of questions about same state senate race.

Was interesting - never been polled before. I'm on the do not call list in theory (cell phone), but I don't mind when I can stick it to shrillary a little bit.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Presidency in Obama’s DNA?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/23816949#23816949

Obama is related to 6 US presidents :D
So he's related to:

Dubya (...)
Herbert Walker (No new taxes... :lol)
LBJ (lol 'Nam)
Truman (bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Japan)
Madison (Principal Author of the Constitution, baby!)

Damn, I was hoping for a cooler Presidential relation, like the Roosevelts or something. Still, I suppose Madison and Truman is pretty sweet.

icarus-daedelus said:
So he's related to:

Dubya (...)
Herbert Walker (No new taxes... :lol)
LBJ (lol 'Nam)
Truman (bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Japan)
Madison (Principal Author of the Constitution, baby!)

Damn, I was hoping for a cooler Presidential relation, like the Roosevelts or something. Still, I suppose Madison and Truman is pretty sweet.

Truman was a great president; to trivialize his presidency to simply the bombing of Japan (which was the right decision) is ludicrous. And I have a soft spot in my heart for LBJ, but the Vietnam shot (mainly the Tonkin fiasco) makes it impossible to justify his legacy

KRS7

PhoenixDark said:
Truman was a great president; to trivialize his presidency to simply the bombing of Japan (which was the right decision) is ludicrous.

Well, he also dismissed MacArthur and left us with a half century stalemate in the Korean Peninsula.

KRS7 said:
Well, he also dismissed MacArthur and left us with a half century stalemate in the Korean Peninsula.

True. With respect to MacArthur that seemed like a good idea, unless of course you favored invading China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom