• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheebs said:
whb_obama_shoots_0418.jpg

This man has to get elected. For the sake of humanity, he has to.

RubxQub said:
Is it just me, or does Obama look like a midget or something in this picture? :lol
It's kinda an illusion. At first glance, I thought the brown line right below his feet was the baseboard of the floor. Now I realize he is about 4-5 feet in the air.

GhaleonEB

The next leg of the campaign, per Ben Smith:

Obama, playing to his strength and to the issues polls have been saying are most important, is launching a two-week economic swing, his campaign announces.

First event is Monday in Raleigh, N.C.
First Virginia, then North Carolina. He's going after non-traditional states early and hard.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Triumph said:
I agree with what you say, although my point was that the coverage of her IN THE MEDIA was harsh because she was the frontrunner, and that harshness unfortunately often took the form of sexist remarks. On the internets it's another thing altogether, as people all too often take advantage of the relative anonymity to engage in unfortunate attacks on people.

I will say that some of the things that I said about her this primary season could have been construed as sexist- I think I called her "shrill" and a harpy quite a bit. For me that was motivated by my intense dislike of her as a person and the wing of the party that she represents. Champion of the working people my fat American ass, you DLC shill.

Ah, true that.

I've deliberately stayed away from "shrill" because it's used to dismiss people (especially women or anyone too critical of the president) on the basis of their tone while ignoring their substance.

Being involved in liberal politics is grinding me down to an earnest, unironic husk of my former self. Social empathy is a bitch a real pain to deal with.

hc2

I am hoping the Clintons, Al Gore, Kerry, and some others help Obama with the rest of the campaign. I think Obama and the Clintons both need to take a couple weeks rest and think about what they want.
I really think some southern states are not as "Republican" as the pollsters would have you believe this time around. I am seeing a lot of folks here in Georgia who have been not bothered to vote since the early 90's and they are getting excited about the possibilities of this election.
Saxby Chambliss is our senator, he has never served in the armed forces and yet in his campaign:
" In 2002, Cleland was defeated in his bid for a second Senate term by Representative Saxby Chambliss. Voters were allegedly influenced by Chambliss ads that featured Cleland's likeness on the same screen as Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, ads that Cleland's supporters claim questioned his commitment to homeland security.The ads were removed after strong bi-partisan protest from prominent politicians including Republicans like John McCain and Chuck Hagel. "
Max Cleland served in Vietnam and lost both legs.
I am sick of these conservative Republicans who never served in the military and yet are so eager to fight. Bunch of spineless cowards- George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Saxby Chambliss. And they condemn others to die for their wealth.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
Yup.

Cheebs: post links for once!

Does anybody else see it as cool as me that the potential president is doing pull ups before a speech?

numble

10,000 new donors in just a couple of hours:

graphic

In the excitement of the past few days, there's some news you may have missed.

John McCain and the Republican National Committee released their fundraising numbers for May, and we've got our work cut out for us.

The McCain campaign raised $21 million, which will be combined with $23.7 million raised in partnership with the Republican National Committee.

That's nearly $45 million dollars in one month -- money that will be used to attack Barack Obama and support John McCain's effort to extend the policies of George W. Bush for another four years.

We need to respond quickly and show that we are ready to take on Senator McCain in the general election.

You can help by encouraging a fellow supporter to take the next step and own a piece of this campaign.

Make a donation of $100 today and match the gift of a first-time donor. You can even choose to exchange a note with them about why you support Barack:

https://donate.barackobama.com/promise

Even more disturbing than the amount of money John McCain and the RNC have raised is the way they raised it.

They depend on donations from Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs. And top officials in McCain's campaign have been asking these donors to write checks and raise money from their clients to the tune of $50,000 each.

Barack is doing things differently.

This campaign has never accepted donations from Washington lobbyists or special interest PACs. And yesterday the Democratic National Committee announced that they will follow the same restriction.

We are going to compete in the general election the same way we have all along -- by depending on a movement of more than 1.5 million people giving only what they can afford.

Make a $100 donation now and help bring a first-time donor into this campaign:

https://donate.barackobama.com/promise

I'm sure you've heard that Hillary Clinton is suspending her campaign and announcing her support for Barack. We all owe Senator Clinton -- and her supporters -- a great deal of respect for running an incredible campaign and strengthening our party in all 50 states.

But John McCain and his allies are not missing a beat in their campaign to continue the Bush agenda.

As the presumptive nominee, John McCain had a three-month head start to build his party and raise money. But we can't afford to let him have the advantage.

For all his talk of reform, John McCain is willing to rely on huge donations from Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs.

We have a historic opportunity to run a new kind of campaign and elect a new kind of leader.

Thank you for your support and for being a part of this movement,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

Gaborn

mckmas8808 said:
Does anybody else see it as cool as me that the potential president is doing pull ups before a speech?

How sure are we that that is Obama? I mean, look at the figure compared to the door frame, he'd be about 4 feet tall!

Thought it would be interesting to have a go at that Electoral Compass thingy, even though I'm from the UK.

Looks like me and Hillary should get a room :lol
us.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Now that the general election campaign has started, I thought I'd post a site that I haven't seen posted on GAF before. It's called Electoral-Vote.com, and it's pretty much the best poll-related site ever.

Basically, it tracks polls for the presidency, the senate, and the house. He provides numbers whenever they are updated and provides commentary on interesting races. It's run by an American who is a university professor and lives outside the states. He is a Democrat but is very neutral in terms of his commentary and polling and often links to Republicans when he feels it appropriate to demonstrate his objectivity.

His track record is as follows:
- 2006; Correctly predicted the outcome of every single Senatorial election. Predicted the popular vote within margin of error for all candidates in a state correctly for 40/50 states. Predicted the popular vote of the overall state within margin of error for 46/50 states.

- 2004; used three algorithms, the best of which was tweaked for 2006. One algorithm got 46 states right, two algorithms got 48 states right. The better of the two 48 state algorithms got 98% of the EVs right. The incorrect states for every algorithm used were within the margins of error (tight races).

The site itself consists of a really nice and easy to understand map, polling data, and news updates which consist of the guy who runs the site's opinions on how things are trending. It's been a great resource for me personally since I first used it in 2004.

vitaflo

sangreal said:
Michelle Obama didn't even goto Yale. These stupid whisper campaigns are the biggest challenge at the moment

I hear McCain has the onset of alzheimer's. It can go both ways, I suppose.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wonder if a candidate named McCain could even get nominated up here in Canada. Every time I hear his name all I can think of are french fries and frozen fruit drinks.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Until the convention, donations are considered to be for the primary season, right? Not that I'm likely to reach the limit during either period, but I'd like to know.

Gaborn

So did anybody else see the CNN/Times Warner poll released today?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate; 43 percent disagreed.

The poll is the first national survey conducted since Obama claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night, at the end of the primary season. Clinton is expected to announce Saturday that she's suspending her campaign and backing her Senate colleague.

Men and women don't see eye-to-eye on the question. Sixty percent of Democratic women said Clinton should be Obama's running mate, but only 46 percent of male Democrats agreed, while 51 percent of them said no.

" 'What do women want?' Sigmund Freud famously asked," said Bill Schneider, CNN senior political analyst. "The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It's pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Sen. Clinton." See the poll results »

Twenty-four percent of those polled said that even if Obama names someone else as his running mate, Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August. But 75 percent said that would not be a good idea.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," said Keating Holland CNN polling director. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention." See some other Democratic vice presidential possibilities »

The survey also found that the economy remains the top issue in the minds of a plurality of Americans.

Forty-two percent of those polled said the economy will be the most important issue in their decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place, selected by 24 percent as the most important issue for them, while health care was selected as most important by 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

I sort of doubt that Obama will choose Clinton, but I think that's the enormous elephant in the room right now (pardon the metaphor)

Zeed

Banned
Fuck saying she's not seeking it, Hillary needs to come out and tell the people she does not want to be VP.

Gaborn said:
So did anybody else see the CNN/Times Warner poll released today?

I sort of doubt that Obama will choose Clinton, but I think that's the enormous elephant in the room right now (pardon the metaphor)

I believe his best option is to just take his time when selecting VP. Once Hillary starts drifting away and other possible candidates start becoming known to people, I think people won't get upset when he *hopefully* decides NOT to pick Hillary.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
Er....elephants in the room are things people don't talk about.

Yes, and... there really hasn't been a whole lot of talk in this thread about this possibility, which IS rather real I'd guess. I think in the end Obama will decide against it, but he's got to at least take the idea somewhat seriously and it's not completely impossible he picks her.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Politics is not generally based on listening to what people want, but presenting an idea to them that they do not know that they want, but end up wanting after hearing it.

It's not about saying "Who do you want to be my VP? I'll pick them." It's about picking a VP and saying "This is what my VP brings to the table."

You can even poll people by saying "This is who I want to be my VP. What do you think?" and it won't work. The only way to know is to poll or focus test or actually present the arguments, tactics, and policies you are going to use to help shape the public image of that person. This is even true for Hillary--just as Hillary did not campaign only on her image from the last ten years but also on a new image she worked on building, so would Hillary as VP continue to build an image carefully thought about by both her and Obama.

As I've mentioned again and again, the choices Obama makes for his VP and his cabinet will not all be names that people know. The idea is that he will introduce you to them. If you (you being the royal you--anyone in America) already know the best people to run the country and all the best policies, why are you not currently running for President, right?

Zeed said:
Fuck saying she's not seeking it, Hillary needs to come out and tell the people she does not want to be VP.

No one should do that unless they absolutely would not take it or the party nominee has told them they absolutely will not get it. Making a Sherman statement and going back on it is political suicide.

numble

Dan said:
Until the convention, donations are considered to be for the primary season, right? Not that I'm likely to reach the limit during either period, but I'd like to know.
Yes, unless you reach the limit, then it will be put into the general election coffers, which can't be used until after the convention. The money will be used against McCain either way.

Tamanon

Banned
Gaborn: Hillary as VP discussion has been beaten to death here. It's been being talked about since March when the election was locked up.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
Gaborn: Hillary as VP discussion has been beaten to death here. It's been being talked about since March when the election was locked up.

And... Obama is the nominee!! is a fresh discussion? Seriously, just about every aspect of the campaign is stale, at least this is a new poll that has to be at least considered by his campaign.

Err... just so we're clear, what I'm saying is every aspect of campaign COVERAGE has been beaten to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom