• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
numble said:
Yes, unless you reach the limit, then it will be put into the general election coffers, which can't be used until after the convention. The money will be used against McCain either way.
Ah, so they can take general election funds now but can't use them yet. Got it, thanks.

Gaborn said:
And... Obama is the nominee!! is a fresh discussion? Seriously, just about every aspect of the campaign is stale, at least this is a new poll that has to be at least considered by his campaign.

Err... just so we're clear, what I'm saying is every aspect of campaign COVERAGE has been beaten to death.

Wasn't the poll done by CNN? Trust me they REALLY want Hilary as Obama's VP. :lol

Gaborn

CowboyAstronaut said:
Wasn't the poll done by CNN? Trust me they REALLY want Hilary as Obama's VP. :lol

Well you have to admit, just for the fact that GAF's reaction would be EPIC it'd be fun to watch.

GhaleonEB

Gaborn said:
And... Obama is the nominee!! is a fresh discussion? Seriously, just about every aspect of the campaign is stale, at least this is a new poll that has to be at least considered by his campaign.

Err... just so we're clear, what I'm saying is every aspect of campaign COVERAGE has been beaten to death.
And that discussion went on for pages and pages in the last thread.

How is it surprising that half the democrats want her on the ticket? The primary just ended. This is the heat of the moment. Ask the same question in one week, after Clinton is backing Obama, and that number will go down. A month from now, and it will be way, way down.

And there's no way on earth she should be on the ticket. And her behavior over the past week is a prime example of the reasons why.

Dan

DrForester said:
So what did I miss? How did Hillary's event go (or was the event today private?)
No idea if it's happened yet, but today's event was just going to be for staff.

Gaborn

GhaleonEB said:
And that discussion went on for pages and pages in the last thread.

How is it surprising that half the democrats want her on the ticket? The primary just ended. This is the heat of the moment. Ask the same question in one week, after Clinton is backing Obama, and that number will go down. A month from now, and it will be way, way down.

And there's no way on earth she should be on the ticket. And her behavior over the past week is a prime example of the reasons why.

I agree that she shouldn't be on the ticket, and has shown bad temperament and a total classlessness at the end. What I wonder is if she's NOT on the ticket how many of her supporters will come out for Obama. I mean, hardly any will go for McCain obviously, but some of those radical feminists are craaaaaaaaaaaaazy. I think the CNN poll is interesting because it reflects a public sentiment among some democrats of a sort of... entitlement if you will, of the inevitability of a Clinton presence in Obama's administration (assuming he wins). I'm not sure that mentality translates well to what could be perceived by them as a snub.

GhaleonEB

Gaborn said:
I agree that she shouldn't be on the ticket, and has shown bad temperament and a total classlessness at the end. What I wonder is if she's NOT on the ticket how many of her supporters will come out for Obama. I mean, hardly any will go for McCain obviously, but some of those radical feminists are craaaaaaaaaaaaazy. I think the CNN poll is interesting because it reflects a public sentiment among some democrats of a sort of... entitlement if you will, of the inevitability of a Clinton presence in Obama's administration (assuming he wins). I'm not sure that mentality translates well to what could be perceived by them as a snub.
Bear in mind that most of her supporters are die-hard Democrats. Women voters are among the most reliable of the Democratic base. Passions are high right now, but odds of any kind of significant push away from Obama are very, very low. A big variable is what Clinton does. If she pushes for Obama in a graceful way (the opposite of what she's done since Tuesday) and sustains it, the hostilities will heal over quickly. A month from now, this will be a distant memory.
The Lamonster said:
It's drama. With her in the picture, veepstakes are just an extention of the primary, and the media looooooved the long primary. It's exactly for this reason that I'm not hopeful they'll actually start treating McCain's numerous fuck-ups with anything approaching how they treat Obama's; they have a vested interest in keeping it close.

Dan

Gaborn said:
The only thing the poll proves is that Hillary is a very high profile Democrat with an obviously known interest for being in the White House.

The only debatably interesting point is the 24% who, mere days after Obama clinched the nomination, still want Hillary on the ticket by any means necessary. Most of those are like Dems that swore they'd move to Canada if Bush won. It's empty reactionary talk that will dissipate given time and thought.

Gaborn

Dan said:
The only thing the poll proves is that Hillary is a very high profile Democrat with an obviously known interest for being in the White House.

The only debatably interesting point is the 24% who, mere days after Obama clinched the nomination, still want Hillary on the ticket by any means necessary. Most of those are like Dems that swore they'd move to Canada if Bush won. It's empty reactionary talk that will dissipate given time and thought.

I'm not so certain. I think you're probably right, but I think too much of GAF WANTS that to be true. I mean, again, I'm not saying that they'd go out and totally switch sides, but I wouldn't assume they're all so eager to jump for Obama at this point.

"Is this the guy advising Obama on Venezuela and Iran policy?"

Pretty effective ad on their part, but there is a bright side here. I think as the Republicans ratchet up their negative ads, ones more specifically targeted at Obama himself, his support will grow even stronger as it will reinforce the same corrupt Government establishments that haven't gotten anything done, going after Obama in the same destructive ways they've gone after people in the past.

CNN brought up a damn good point. If they had Chelsea campaigning for Obama, that would actually help him a great deal and reinforce Hilary's faith in him.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CowboyAstronaut said:
If they had Chelsea campaigning for Obama, that would actually help him a great deal and reinforce Hilary's faith in him.

That's actually surprisingly astute. I mean, that's a remarkably good idea. Plus, Chelsea is incredibly insulated from Republican criticism due to McCain's little Chelsea situation all those years ago, so it's pretty much just free good PR.

http://meetbarackobama.com/

Wow and Hilary's commander in chief comment is front and center!

Republicans couldn't wait to use that nugget. Pointing out that McCain is a better President.
There is even a counter on how many days it's been since Obama has visited Iraq :lol

Man this is a nasty one. Republicans have finally started.

Democrats vs Obama.

http://www.gop.com/DVO/

Hilary is first up in this video :lol

This stuff will only please those that already didn't like nor cared to vote for Obama. It wont have much impact.

Gaborn

Stumpokapow said:
That's actually surprisingly astute. I mean, that's a remarkably good idea. Plus, Chelsea is incredibly insulated from Republican criticism due to McCain's little Chelsea situation all those years ago, so it's pretty much just free good PR.

Strategically that would definitely seem to be a good idea for Obama,

Holy Jesus Dick. Media's stupid as shit obsession to cover Obama NON STOP. Can he get... Can he fix... Can he... Can he... Can he...

FUCK ME!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
ViperVisor said:
Holy Jesus Dick. Media's stupid as shit obsession to cover Obama NON STOP. Can he get... Can he fix... Can he... Can he... Can he...

FUCK ME!

I really doubt it, the relationship with his wife seems legit.

Also, if done correctly, Hilary's endorsement will give Obama a significant boost which should be immediately noticeable in polls versus McCain.

Bill Clinton, for as much as he screwed up Hilary's campaign is actually, in my opinion, directly responsible for the way she was able to win the last remaining states the way she did.

He will be a big help for Obama since he wont be nearly as emotionally involved in this one as he was for his wife. Just him going around and campaigning for Obama will help him. He doesn't even need to talk much about Obama, just point out why it's important to get a democrat into that white house.

CowboyAstronaut said:
CNN brought up a damn good point. If they had Chelsea campaigning for Obama, that would actually help him a great deal and reinforce Hilary's faith in him.
Yeah, Obama should be pimping out Chelsea. :lol

AniHawk

CowboyAstronaut said:
Also, if done correctly, Hilary's endorsement will give Obama a significant boost which should be immediately noticeable in polls versus McCain.

Bill Clinton, for as much as he screwed up Hilary's campaign is actually, in my opinion, directly responsible for the way she was able to win the last remaining states the way she did.

He will be a big help for Obama since he wont be nearly as emotionally involved in this one as he was for his wife. Just him going around and campaigning for Obama will help him. He doesn't even need to talk much about Obama, just point out why it's important to get a democrat into that white house.

I wonder if Bill is sorta obligated to campaign for him after his destructiveness in the primary. Did he wind up campaigning for Al Gore? There was bad blood there, too (mostly between Gore and Hillary). And then there's the option that Barack might not want Bill or Hillary to do much more than ask them to get their supporters on his side.

AniHawk said:
I wonder if Bill is sorta obligated to campaign for him after his destructiveness in the primary. Did he wind up campaigning for Al Gore? There was bad blood there, too (mostly between Gore and Hillary). And then there's the option that Barack might not want Bill or Hillary to do much more than ask them to get their supporters on his side.
Al Gore made a conscious effort to "distance" himself from Bill Clinton, likely due to the whole Monica Lewinsky thing. He also went to great lengths to display a good relationship with his wife, effectively saying that he's not going to cheat on her like Bill did with his wife.

GhaleonEB

polyh3dron said:
Al Gore made a conscious effort to "distance" himself from Bill Clinton, likely due to the whole Monica Lewinsky thing. He also went to great lengths to display a good relationship with his wife, effectively saying that he's not going to cheat on her like Bill did with his wife.
Speaking of Gore, where the heck is he? I don't think he's even come out and endorsed Obama yet.

Is Obama's IQ The Highest Certified Of Any President Ever?

The former Guidance Counselor of Obama's private Hawaiian school has supplied The Washington Post with a certified copy of Obama's Stanford-Banai IQ Certification, one of which was taken in 1966 when he was a kinder gardener in Hawaii before moving to Indonesia, and one which was taken as entrance protocol as a freshman in his private (extremely exclusive) Honolulu private high school.

His IQ was clocked at 172 and 166 respectively (IQ's normally have a fluctuation of 6 or 7 points from test to test so that discrepancy is normal).

That puts Obama in the certifiable clinical genius category.

Obama's campaign is apparently NOT HAPPY about The Washington Post preparing to disclose this, because they fear it adds to his reputation as not an "everyman" and being too "professorial".

But that aside...if elected, does this make Obama, the retainer of the highest certified IQ of any president in American history?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of Gore, where the heck is he? I don't think he's even come out and endorsed Obama yet.

He called Obama to congratulate him a few days ago and reiterate that he does not want any government job. His official stance is that he will endorse, but he has no time frame for it and I don't think he's planning on actively campaigning.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
HOLY SHIT! Obama's mind was clocked in at ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS!

roadburn.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gore endorsement is probably a nice one to save should they need to move the spotlight off something negative if it comes up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stumpokapow said:
Now that the general election campaign has started, I thought I'd post a site that I haven't seen posted on GAF before. It's called Electoral-Vote.com, and it's pretty much the best poll-related site ever.

Basically, it tracks polls for the presidency, the senate, and the house. He provides numbers whenever they are updated and provides commentary on interesting races. It's run by an American who is a university professor and lives outside the states. He is a Democrat but is very neutral in terms of his commentary and polling and often links to Republicans when he feels it appropriate to demonstrate his objectivity.

His track record is as follows:
- 2006; Correctly predicted the outcome of every single Senatorial election. Predicted the popular vote within margin of error for all candidates in a state correctly for 40/50 states. Predicted the popular vote of the overall state within margin of error for 46/50 states.

- 2004; used three algorithms, the best of which was tweaked for 2006. One algorithm got 46 states right, two algorithms got 48 states right. The better of the two 48 state algorithms got 98% of the EVs right. The incorrect states for every algorithm used were within the margins of error (tight races).

The site itself consists of a really nice and easy to understand map, polling data, and news updates which consist of the guy who runs the site's opinions on how things are trending. It's been a great resource for me personally since I first used it in 2004.

I used this all the time in 2004. I quite like the site. It might be a little early though, but it's like a one stop shop for some cool polling data.

FDLink

Deus Ex Machina said:
But that aside...if elected, does this make Obama, the retainer of the highest certified IQ of any president in American history?

B-b-b-but... What about EXPERIENCE?

Kaeru

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:

The former Guidance Counselor of Obama's private Hawaiian school has supplied The Washington Post with a certified copy of Obama's Stanford-Banai IQ Certification, one of which was taken in 1966 when he was a kinder gardener in Hawaii before moving to Indonesia, and one which was taken as entrance protocol as a freshman in his private (extremely exclusive) Honolulu private high school.

His IQ was clocked at 172 and 166 respectively (IQ's normally have a fluctuation of 6 or 7 points from test to test so that discrepancy is normal).

Obama's campaign is apparently NOT HAPPY about The Washington Post preparing to disclose this, because they fear it adds to his reputation as not an "everyman" and being too "professorial".

Which is absolutely hilarious in every imaginable way.
Hey who wants a well educated intelligent man to lead the worlds only superpower?
Not America it seems..

GhaleonEB

Kaeru said:
Which is absolutely hilarious in every imaginable way.
Hey who wants a well educated intelligent man to lead the worlds only superpower?
Not America it seems..
This from the country that elected George W. Bush. I still remember the interviews with his supporters saying they liked the way he spoke because he talked like "one of us". Because the leader of the country should have the IQ of your sub-average moron off the street.

Like others said, only in America is being a certifiable genius a liability.

:facepalm

Gaborn

Deus Ex Machina said:

Highest certified probably. I do wonder though what Jefferson's IQ was for example. Still, it's amazing the coverage he's getting, I mean, seriously, has any other candidate received THIS MUCH favorable coverage for this long? (yes, I know the smear campaign by the Republicans, but there is really no comparison to the media love fest)

Tamanon

Banned
Gaborn said:
Highest certified probably. I do wonder though what Jefferson's IQ was for example. Still, it's amazing the coverage he's getting, I mean, seriously, has any other candidate received THIS MUCH favorable coverage for this long? (yes, I know the smear campaign by the Republicans, but there is really no comparison to the media love fest)

Did you miss the months of negative coverage or are you just ignoring it? If anything McCain's the one who's had the most overall positive coverage.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
Did you miss the months of negative coverage or are you just ignoring it? If anything McCain's the one who's had the most overall positive coverage.
Seriously. Someone's gotta help me out with the favorable coverage here.

The media is, literally, McCain's base. All the screw-ups he's made about Iraq and other areas, and they barely touch him.

guess

Tamanon said:

I like how he downplays Obama's IQ, and then turns around with media love fest stuff.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:

No, I'm not ignoring it. What I'm saying is that yes, Obama's taken a little flack for the Reverend Wright situation, and I mean, every candidate is going to take their knocks. STILL, even with negative stories popping up, what other candidate has been compared by the media to JFK, MLK, had his IQ mentioned, I mean... come on. I'm saying that no other candidate has received as MUCH positive coverage without a huge amount of negative coverage, not that he hasn't had negative coverage, but compared to the other candidates? Please.

McCain is mostly being ignored by the media while they cover Obama, the last time they really took a serious look at him was when the story about his rumored romantic relationship with the lobbyist was revealed.

Guess - I'm downplaying nothing about Obama's IQ. It's impressive if it's accurate but it's just a number, and we usually don't get a candidate's IQ either way. I care more about what a candidate has done and will do (policy wise) than how intelligent they are.

GhaleonEB

Gaborn said:
No, I'm not ignoring it. What I'm saying is that yes, Obama's taken a little flack for the Reverend Wright situation, and I mean, every candidate is going to take their knocks. STILL, even with negative stories popping up, what other candidate has been compared by the media to JFK, MLK, had his IQ mentioned, I mean... come on. I'm saying that no other candidate has received as MUCH positive coverage without a huge amount of negative coverage, not that he hasn't had negative coverage, but compared to the other candidates? Please.

McCain is mostly being ignored by the media while they cover Obama, the last time they really took a serious look at him was when the story about his rumored romantic relationship with the lobbyist was revealed.
A little flack. Try months of wall-to-wall coverage.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As a libertarian, he has no choice but to defer to his superiority. After all, everything that is wrong with society involves holding back the naturally gifted.

Gaborn

GhaleonEB said:
A little flack. Try months of wall-to-wall coverage.

Ummm... maybe on Fox News, but from what I can tell the rest of the media has moved on with most of their coverage.

Hitokage - What you're saying doesn't even make sense. A man can be incredibly smart and work in a low paying job as a janitor, or can be in some high level business job or a doctor or lawyer or... well any position in society. Intellect, while a useful tool doesn't matter, it's what you do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom