• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gaborn said:
It's odd that Obama claims he opposes that amendment, also opposes gay marriage, and supports second class civil unions. I don't think he actually knows WHAT to think on the issue.

Fuck this thread if it derails into what I think it is about to derail into again. Make a new thread on the subject already.

scorcho said:
you're right, he's so anti-gay it hurts. in this case Obama is taking the proper track on a very divisive issue.
Talk to me when Hope & Change retracts his "my religious beliefs lead me to believe that marriage is between a man and a woman" crap.

Anyway, that issue has been done to death, and doesn't need to be further discussed.

I guess I'm just blown away that this piece of shit is the best the Dems can do. I can't wait to be thrown under a bus for the next 4-8 years. Have fun voting for this sellout. I'm sure he's better than McCain, but we deserver so much better than this hoax.

Gaborn

reilo said:
Fuck this thread if it derails into what I think it is about to derail into again. Make a new thread on the subject already.

Hey, I'm not the one that brought it up, I just mentioned that I find that interesting.

Tamanon

Banned
Also, it's amusing how much of a free pass Mercury gives Hillary Clinton for the whole Don't Ask Don't Tell fiasco....which Obama has pledged to end.

reilo

Mercury Fred said:
Talk to me when Hope & Change retracts his "my religious beliefs lead me to believe that marriage is between a man and a woman" crap.

Anyway, that issue has been done to death, and doesn't need to be further discussed.

I guess I'm just blown away that this piece of shit is the best the Dems can do. I can't wait to be thrown under a bus for the next 4-8 years. Have fun voting for this sellout. I'm sure he's better than McCain, but we deserver so much better than this hoax.

Not a facepalm big enough.

Meh . . . clearly Obama is in 'thumb-his-nose-at-the-liberals' stage right now in attempts to get as many centrists as possible. The more bitching and moaning the left does, the more it probably helps Obama as long as that left doesn't bail or vote Nader.

I don't know if he's really serious about a lot of the things he's said lately . . . and even if he is, he's still better than McCain.

However, it is kinda weird in that it is hard to name a position where McCain has 'moved to the center' from the right . . . perhaps it was because he already was in the center mostly and had to move so far right in order to get the nomination. If he moves back, he opens himself up to (even more) flip-flop charges. Most of these Obama centrist views are centrist views he has pretty much always had.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
Also, it's amusing how much of a free pass Mercury gives Hillary Clinton for the whole Don't Ask Don't Tell fiasco....which Obama has pledged to end.

How many times are we going to have a presidential candidate claim they're going to do something like that and then they don't do it? Hell, Bill Clinton campaigned on gays serving openly in the military before giving us that policy. I'm not saying Obama won't or can't do it, but Billy boy didn't do it with a Democratic congress in 1992, why should i believe Obama will do it in 2008?

Tamanon

Banned
Gaborn said:
How many times are we going to have a presidential candidate claim they're going to do something like that and then they don't do it? Hell, Bill Clinton campaigned on gays serving openly in the military before giving us that policy. I'm not saying Obama won't or can't do it, but Billy boy didn't do it with a Democratic congress in 1992, why should i believe Obama will do it in 2008?

Why should you believe anyone will do anything? That's a rather silly argument to make.

Tamanon said:
Oh really, was she the one who wrote that legislation? People want it both ways with Hillary-- they want to damn her for the sins of her husband and say that since she was just first lady she had nothing to do with the good stuff. Which is it?

Also, if Hillary were the nominee and was pulling the crap that Obama is pulling, I'd be just as (perhaps more) pissed.

Oh, and to be fair, I live in NYC so my not voting won't count for shit. I will admit it's something of a luxury to be able to skip voting for Obama. If I still lived in my home state of Ohio, I'd have to do some much more serious soul searching to make the same decision.

reilo

Mercury Fred said:
Oh really, was she the one who wrote that legislation? People want it both ways with Hillary-- they want to damn her for the sins of her husband and say that since she was just first lady she had nothing to do with the good stuff. Which is it?

Also, if Hillary were the nominee and was pulling the crap that Obama is pulling, I'd be just as (perhaps more) pissed.

Oh, and to be fair, I live in NYC so my not voting won't count for shit. I will admit it's a something of a luxury to be able to skip voting for Obama. If I still lived in my home state of Ohio, I'd have to do some much more serious soul searching to make the same decision.

:lol

No.

Hillary was the one that wanted to take all of the good accomplishments during her husband's presidency and she always proclaimed that she was privately against all of his bad legislation.

Talk about a new era of spin there, bud.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
Why should you believe anyone will do anything? That's a rather silly argument to make.

Fair enough, really I'm not trying to argue it, I believe Obama, should he be elected, will probably end DADT, or at the very least remove it for non-combat personnel (since politics is ultimately about compromise), I just think that with certain pieces of legislation it's natural to be more skeptical about what can and cannot be accomplished.

Mercury Fred said:

It really isn't a presidential issue other than a potential amendment and he's said he is against such an amendment. So he is pretty much dodging this issue. Why take a position if you don't have to? It is pretty clear that he is more pro-gay than McCain, so he doesn't gain anything by taking a strong pro-gay marriage position.

Yeah, we are in general election 'triangulation' mode. Everyone does it. Both Bush and Gore did it in 2000. Blandness FTW!

speculawyer said:
So he is pretty much dodging this issue. Why take a position if you don't have to?
He's not dodging. He said the day after California granted marriage equality that marriage was between a man and a woman. That's not dodging.

But I do agree with the question "Why take a position if you don't have to?" Why the fuck did Obama open his mouth the next day to reiterate this right-wing talking point?

Tamanon

Banned
Because he wanted to give you a reason to kvetch.

The good thing about the FISA bill is that Obama won't really be able to use it to DESTROY THE FOURTH AMENDMENT, because Congress will be overseeing the fuck out of him.:lol

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
Because he wanted to give you a reason to kvetch.

The good thing about the FISA bill is that Obama won't really be able to use it to DESTROY THE FOURTH AMENDMENT, because Congress will be overseeing the fuck out of him.:lol

no, frankly I'd trust Obama under the FISA bill a LOT more if he had a Republican congress, same as I'd trust McCain slightly more under the (probable) Democratic congress with FISA powers. In general though, NO PRESIDENT SHOULD HAVE THOSE POWERS.

TDG

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Obama should step down as a presidential candidate for not supporting gay marriage.
Of course. Besides, how can Obama be a change candidate if he doesn't support all of my positions?

Gaborn

Mercury Fred said:

no, actually it'd be closer to Obama's position if interracial marriages were renamed to "civil unions" with all of the same other rights. After all, who could possibly object to that?

Tamanon

Banned
Gaborn said:
no, frankly I'd trust Obama under the FISA bill a LOT more if he had a Republican congress, same as I'd trust McCain slightly more under the (probable) Democratic congress with FISA powers. In general though, NO PRESIDENT SHOULD HAVE THOSE POWERS.

In other cases, you'd be correct, but in this case you have a bill that a majority of Dems voted against(who would be overseers) and you have Republicans who would all unanimously oversee his use of the programs, because nothing spells no re-election like proven rights violations.

Gaborn said:
no, actually it'd be closer to Obama's position if interracial marriages were renamed to "civil unions" with all of the same other rights. After all, who could possibly object to that?
Actually, that's a good point.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
In other cases, you'd be correct, but in this case you have a bill that a majority of Dems voted against(who would be overseers) and you have Republicans who would all unanimously oversee his use of the programs, because nothing spells no re-election like proven rights violations.

Still, regardless I don't believe any president should have that power in the first place.

MF - Thanks :D

Mercury Fred said:
Keep making that one while Hope and Change fucks you over repeatedly.

Good luck. Your choice is between Obama and McCain not Obama and perfection. And staying home will do you a lot of good. The past 8-years have been great, let's continue!

Also, Obama is not opposed to gay marriage. He has said that he is opposed to the Marriage Defense Act, and believes gay marriage is a states right. So from what he's said he doesn't plan to attempt to legalize gay marriage, but he is going to protect it from being banned. I think legal gay marriage will start to spread state by state on it's own. California is making quite a splash and I expect other states to hop on sooner or later.

Tamanon

Banned
reilo said:
Can we talk about this Iran missile test issue instead?

UNIMPORTANT! PARSING OF LANGUAGE REGARDING GAY MARRIAGE IS OF TANTAMOUNT IMPORTANCE!

Anyways, I guess Iran's going to be pissed it got bumped off the news today because of Jesse, but I think it's for the best:)

If only we had a gay black Jew superman to run for president that would make us see all our biases as petty differences only skin deep, and everyone would all sit around a campfire singing fucking songs while they all got along with each other!1!!

Yes, gay rights are important to you. News flash: country and world are bigger than you. There are more things to be worried about and entrusting the right leader for the good of the whole is probably more important than you.

Probably.

Gaborn

worldrunover said:
If only we had a gay black Jew superman to run for president that would make us see all our biases as petty differences only skin deep, and everyone would all sit around a campfire singing fucking songs while they all got along with each other!1!!

Yes, gay rights are important to you. News flash: country and world are bigger than you. There are more things to be worried about and entrusting the right leader for the good of the whole is probably more important than you.

Probably.

The same is true of any particular issue. That doesn't mean someone disproportionately affected by a particular issue can't, or shouldn't express greater concern over a candidate. Though, personally I feel I've more than made my point on the issue as to why I believe Obama is fundamentally harmful to gays even though he's more positive towards us in his rhetoric.

Door2Dawn said:
I thought this was the Obama hates gay people thread?

On a side note. Did you see how careful Matthews was about characterizing McCain's cigarette joke as "ITS JUST A JOKE GUYS" almost to try and make sure it didn't get out of control. Gotta wonder what would happen in Obama said it.

Tamanon

Banned
worldrunover said:
On a side note. Did you see how careful Matthews was about characterizing McCain's cigarette joke as "ITS JUST A JOKE GUYS" almost to try and make sure it didn't get out of control. Gotta wonder what would happen in Obama said it.

It's actually hilarious. The AP headline for the story is "Wife pokes McCain in back".....and all the news agencies are sure to point out, "It's just McCain being lovable McCain!"

Gaborn said:
The same is true of any particular issue. That doesn't mean someone disproportionately affected by a particular issue can't, or shouldn't express greater concern over a candidate. Though, personally I feel I've more than made my point on the issue as to why I believe Obama is fundamentally harmful to gays even though he's more positive towards us in his rhetoric.

But he can't POSSIBLY be more harmful than McCain. I would be shocked if Obama passed an amendment or something to that extreme.

Mercury Fred said:
He's not dodging. He said the day after California granted marriage equality that marriage was between a man and a woman. That's not dodging.

But I do agree with the question "Why take a position if you don't have to?" Why the fuck did Obama open his mouth the next day to reiterate this right-wing talking point?

So, one of the reasons you're not voting for him is because he's recently publically restated a view he's always held? So, you'd be less reluctant to stay home if he had kept quiet on this?

Also guys, it's a waste of time to engage both Gaborn and Mercury on the the issue of gay marriage. They're all-or-nothing, throw the baby out with the bathwater, fuck incremental progress to gay rights extremists. In fact, Gaborn (and, I guess, MF as well) believes when it comes to gay marriage, it's best that McCain gets elected, because an Obama administration may kill the forward momentum on the issue by "pacifying" advocates by granting civil unions, ending DADT, ending employment discrimination, etc.

Gaborn

worldrunover said:
But he can't POSSIBLY be more harmful than McCain. I would be shocked if Obama passed an amendment or something to that extreme.

That's the point though, since you missed my discussion earlier I'll briefly restate it (and then move on to other issues) for more info though you can look at my past posts in this thread, it shouldn't be too far back that you find my comments. Essentially though, the problem I have with Obama is he supports and ADVOCATES for second class status in the form of civil unions, essentially 95%'ing us. I don't believe once civil unions are in place at the federal level there is going to be much of any impetus for marriage equality, it could delay gay marriage for 20 or 30 years longer than a McCain presidency (where he's not pro gay, would not enact civil unions but also would be unable to meaningfully ban gay marriage at a federal level) would, not that we'll get them tomorrow or anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if 10 or 15 years from now if Obama is NOT president we have marriage equality.

Essentially it comes down to some in the gay community being willing to live without federal benefits in the short term to achieve equality on every level in the long term.

That's the short version though, as I said you can look up the discussion in more detail if you wish.

Lv99 Slacker - I'm in favor of ending DADT, that would probably be one benefit of an Obama presidency. And I've always believed employers in a free society should have the right to discriminate, I simply believe it is irrational to do so and that employers will find more benefit ultimately in NOT doing so.

Lv99 Slacker said:
So, one of the reasons you're not voting for him is because he's recently publically restated a view he's always held? So, you'd be less reluctant to stay home if he had kept quiet on this?
Yeah I want him to shut his fucking mouth the day after California instead of slapping gay and lesbian people across the face.

I guess we should be good, docile faggots and dykes and be thankful when the force of hope and change deigns to consider us even remotely deserving of equal rights.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mercury Fred said:

from the same exact interview::

You know, I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I also think that same-sex partners should be able to visit each other in hospitals, they should be able to transfer property, they should be able to get the same federal rights and benefits that are conferred onto married couples.

And so, you know, as president, my job is to make sure that the federal government is not discriminating and that we maintain the federal government's historic role in not meddling with what states are doing when it comes to marriage law. That's what I'll do as president.

TAPPER: Does it bother you, what California's doing?

OBAMA: No.

obama's own personal belief is that marriage is between a man and woman. that stems from his religious background.. BUT, but still believes in equal rights regardless of his beliefs. how can you hold that against him???!

Gaborn

quadriplegicjon said:

obama's own personal belief is that marriage is between a man and woman. that stems from his religious background.. BUT, but still believes in equal rights. how can you hold that against him???!

If Obama opposes gay marriage why should we believe that he's opposed to putting his belief into policy? If gay marriage is wrong in his view then why do you believe he's opposing the California amendment?

quadriplegicjon said:

obama's own personal belief is that marriage is between a man and woman. that stems from his religious background.. BUT, but still believes in equal rights. how can you hold that against him???!
It was posted in response to someone's quote that Obama doesn't oppose same-sex marriage.

Separate isn't equal. And I want religion out of politics; it's quite easy to hold it against him.

Mercury Fred said:
Yeah I want him to shut his fucking mouth the day after California instead of slapping gay and lesbian people across the face.

I guess we should be good, docile faggots and dykes and be thankful when the force of hope and change deigns to consider us even remotely deserving of equal rights.

Or you could define yourself by more than just your sexual orientation.

Gaborn: I understand your point, but there is still a threat of an amendment under McCain, which would have to be more damning to your cause than civil unions (which are not ideal but still moving in the right direction. Sort of). I would think an amendment is the end of the line for a much longer period of time.

reilo

Mercury Fred said:
Sorry to dirty it up with asking Obama for accountability.

No, you're dirtying it up with stupid nonsensical and factually inaccurate biases on a subject that was beaten to the ground ridiculously over and over again when there are some other important issues to talk about.

In other words, the world doesn't revolve around you and your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom