• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

New ad about Obama going to Iraq just because he wants to be President is bullshit.

First McCain tries to back him into a corner by having a countdown on his website, urging him to go to Iraq, and then when he does a month or two later, they find a problem with it anyway.

I'm starting to get seriously annoyed by the McCain camp to seriously pissed off. This clown can't win, he just can't.

Diablos said:
First McCain tries to back him into a corner by having a countdown on his website, urging him to go to Iraq, and then when he does a month or two later, they find a problem with it anyway.

Umm... it was pretty obvious it was going to go down this way. Do you really think McCain was going to give Obama a "thumbs up!" once he went to Iraq? From the very beginning it was going to be damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. They're opponents after all going after the highest office. Candidates don't start behaving humanly until after a campaign (ie. see Hilary Clinton).

Says Bob in Clemons, North Carolina: "We need to abolish the Federal Reserve and go back to the gold standard. Not just any gold though, I heard about this stuff, pure-strain gold that has been around since God created the universe. That's what we should base our currency around since it is so close to God."

:lol :lol

PHOTOS: MICHELLE OBAMA campaigns in Seattle, Washington and Centennial, Colorado

capt.832b995918544c09910eb78b5a9a0447.gregoire_michelle_obama_waet101.jpg

Michelle Obama, right, wife of of Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., right, walks on stage with Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire, Thursday, July 17, 2008, at a campaign event in Seattle. Obama headlined the fundraiser for Gregoire's re-election campaign, an event expected to raise about $320,000.
(AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

capt.14166b17b45941bbb27066c45752e3ba.gregoire_michelle_obama_waet103.jpg

Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., reaches out to the crowd after speaking Thursday, July 17, 2008, in Seattle. Obama headlined a fundraiser for Gov. Chris Gregoire's re-election campaign, an event expected to raise about $320,000.

capt.5b80026380864d2298f42a5b25c214ac.michelle_obama_2008_waet108.jpg

Michelle Obama, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., waves after speaking at a campaign event Thursday, July 17, 2008, in Seattle. Obama headlined the fundraiser for Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire's re-election campaign, an event expected to raise about $320,000.

capt.bfe890350f37484f828c52742b30adf6.michelle_obama_2008_waet104.jpg

Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.,= reaches out to the crowd after speaking Thursday, July 17, 2008, in Seattle. Obama headlined a fundraiser for Gov. Chris Gregoire's re-election campaign, an event expected to raise about $320,000.

capt.f9a79b946d0d4fe2b0e8d010ceaf25d5.michelle_obama_2008_codz102.jpg

Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., right, chats with Jim White, back left, of the Colorado branch of the Volunteers of America, and Colorado first lady Jeannie Ritter, after she arrived at Centennial Airport in the southeast Denver suburb of Centennial, Colo., Wednesday, July 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

ABC News, Washington Post Withheld Results Of Poll Favorable To Obama

Summary: ABC News and The Washington Post issued staggered releases of the results of their latest poll, withholding from their first release results favorable to Sen. Barack Obama, including the finding that 50 percent of registered voters would vote for Obama for president versus 42 percent for Sen. John McCain. The next day, the Post ran an article headlined "Poll Finds Voters Split on Candidates' Iraq-Pullout Positions," which did not mention Obama's 8-point lead over McCain. Later that day, ABC News and the Post issued a second release with additional poll results that stated: "Obama continues to hold most of the advantages in the presidential race."

In disclosing the results of their poll, conducted July 10-13, ABC News and The Washington Post issued staggered releases, withholding from their first release on July 14 poll results favorable to Sen. Barack Obama, including the finding that 50 percent of registered voters would vote for Obama "f the 2008 presidential election were being held today" versus 42 percent who favored Sen. John McCain. A partial release of the results, "embargoed for release after 6:30 p.m. Monday, July 14, 2008," was titled "McCain Stays Competitive on Iraq; It's About More than Withdrawal" and disclosed the results of only 10 questions relating to foreign policy. Among the results, the release noted: 72 percent of respondents think McCain would be "a good commander-in-chief," compared with 48 percent for Obama; "50 percent of Americans prefer Obama's plan to withdraw most U.S. forces within 16 months of taking office," compared with 49 percent who side with McCain's position; 47 percent of respondents said they trust McCain more on Iraq, while 45 percent prefer Obama; and 51 percent of Americans "now say the U.S. campaign against the Taliban and al Qaeda there has been unsuccessful." Following the July 14 release, ABCNews.com posted an analysis of only the foreign policy poll results under the headline "McCain Tops Obama in Commander-in-Chief Test; Stays Competitive on Iraq." Similarly, Time magazine senior political analyst Mark Halperin linked to the ABCNews.com analysis using the headline: "Poll: McCain Wins More Confidence as Commander in Chief." In a July 15 article headlined "Poll Finds Voters Split on Candidates' Iraq-Pullout Positions," the Post reported only the poll results disclosed in the first release. The article did not mention Obama's 8-point lead over McCain among registered voters on who they would vote for "f the 2008 presidential election were being held today."

On July 15, the day after the initial release, ABC News and the Post issued a second release disclosing the results of 18 questions "embargoed for release after 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, 2008." Included in the release was the result that overall, Obama leads McCain by 8 percentage points among registered voters. Additionally, the release stated: "Obama continues to hold most of the advantages in the presidential race, in enthusiasm, levels of partisanship, personal qualities and trust on top domestic issues, notably No. 1, the economy; and he's improved in the past month among swing voter groups." The release noted that Obama leads McCain by 19 percentage points on the question of which candidate respondents "trust more to handle the economy."

http://mediamatters.org/items/200807170011

What the hell is the matter with these people?

Something has gone terribly wrong when major press organizations see it as their place to manipulate the news.

Reuters: Iraqi PM backs Obama troop exit plan
Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:23am EDT

BERLIN, July 19 (Reuters) - Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki told a German magazine he supported prospective U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's proposal that U.S. troops should leave Iraq within 16 months.

In an interview with Der Spiegel released on Saturday, Maliki said he wanted U.S. troops to withdraw from Iraq as soon as possible.

"U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama talks about 16 months. That, we think, would be the right timeframe for a withdrawal, with the possibility of slight changes."

It is the first time he has backed the withdrawal timetable put forward by Obama, who is visiting Afghanistan and us set to go to Iraq as part of a tour of Europe and the Middle East.

Obama has called for a shift away from a "single-minded" focus on Iraq and wants to pull out troops within 16 months, instead adding U.S. soldiers to Afghanistan.

Asked if he supported Obama's ideas more than those of John McCain, Republican presidential hopeful, Maliki said he did not want to recommend who people should vote for.

"Whoever is thinking about the shorter term is closer to reality. Artificially extending the stay of U.S. troops would cause problems."

Maliki, who is due to visit Germany this week, has suggested a timetable should be set for a U.S. withdrawal but U.S. officials have been more cautious, despite an improving security situation.

The White House said on Friday President George W. Bush and Maliki had agreed that a security deal under negotiation should set a "time horizon" for meeting "aspirational goals" for reducing U.S. forces in Iraq.

"The Americans have found it difficult to agree on a concrete timetable for the exit because it seems like an admission of defeat to them. But it isn't," Maliki told Der Spiegel.

Some five years after the U.S.-led invasion, there are still some 146,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

Diablos

Deus Ex Machina said:

Something has gone terribly wrong when major press organizations see it as their place to manipulate the news.
Seriously, WTF. MSM gets worse with every Presidential election, no jokin'.

Also, Iraqi PM backs Obama's plan, hahaha.
b-b-b-but MCCAIN had the experience to show Iraq how to see this through!

hahaha, I love it. GOP saying Obama has no experience in dealing with these matters, and the Iraqi PM comes out and backs his plan. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Diablos said:
hahaha, I love it. GOP saying Obama has no experience in dealing with these matters, and the Iraqi PM comes out and backs his plan. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

But don't you see, it was actually McCain's plan all along. Only the seething orgasm of peace and stability allowed by the surge made this possible. What a success it was. Nothing has ever been more successy.

esbern

okay i haven't been here since obama/fisagate....has anything else happened besides

obama move center
mccain still senile
media still being retarded

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Chosen One said:
But I hope it doesn't succumb to the temptation of going too far left for the sake of ratings and sell its integrity the way Foxnews did.

Fox was set up from day one to be a mouthpiece for Conservatives and to distort news and opinion to create an illusion of balance in an imaginary leftist media. This was done so deliberately, and so precisely, by a set of individuals so tightly enmeshed in the Republican machine, that it should have been the single biggest campaign finance violation in history.

It never sold out. It is a campaign advertisement on a massive scale.

esbern said:
okay i haven't been here since obama/fisagate....has anything else happened besides

obama move center
mccain still senile
media still being retarded

McCain thinks chzekoslovakia still exsists, Putin is Germany's president, foreign policy FTW.

So I chair the local Obama group here in Broome County, NY and I repeatedly get calls from this woman making threats to me ranting about how he's not actually a black man, he's half white and he's hiding it from everyone:lol And the only way she'll ever vote for a black man is if Hillary Clinton is their Vice President:lol Just thought I'd share this with you seeing how I just got another call from her minutes ago.

Tamanon

Banned
McCain's commercial about Obama not caring about the troops is going to be ill-timed to coincide with the footage of Obama meeting and supporting the troops in Kuwait/Afghanistan/Iraq.:p

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Tamanon said:
McCain's commercial about Obama not caring about the troops is going to be ill-timed to coincide with the footage of Obama meeting and supporting the troops in Kuwait/Afghanistan/Iraq.:p

Wouldn't the contrast only help their quest to purge the last vestiges of reality from the mind of the average voter?

Obviously Obama doesn't care about the troops. Otherwise why would he travel across the world to make believe he does?

KRS7

Jason's Ultimatum said:
McCain thinks chzekoslovakia still exsists, Putin is Germany's president, foreign policy FTW.

How has McCain been able to convince Americans he is some foreign policy expert? He sunni shite confusion should of sent alarm bells ringing. I really don't know how McCain gets such high marks in world knowledge in comparison to Obama, who majored in political science specializing in international relations.

July 14th ABC/Washington Post Poll:

He knows enough about world
affairs to serve effectively
as president

Obama Yes/No 56/42
McCain Yes/No 72/24

Somehow Obama is trailing McCain by 16 points.

P.S. If you didn't catch CNN's Fareed Zakaria interview of Obama on foreign affairs topics it is a very interesting video.

part 1
part 2

Tamanon

Banned
American politics has always regarded knowledge of foreign policy to how long you've been around and how much you hate other countries.

BTW, apparently Pelosi was on-stage talking to Netroots Nation when Al Gore suddenly swept in to talk about energy policy out of nowhere. He's like the Environmental Batman.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tamanon said:
American politics has always regarded knowledge of foreign policy to how long you've been around and how much you hate other countries.

BTW, apparently Pelosi was on-stage talking to Netroots Nation when Al Gore suddenly swept in to talk about energy policy out of nowhere. He's like the Environmental Batman.

:lol :lol :lol

mckmas8808 said:
It wasn't taken out of context. What do you think Gramm meant?

http://ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=11934820&postcount=9317

I'm not saying I agree with his position but blatantly taking his words out of context isn't right. It's not very different from the Obama using the word "bitter" in a comment on certain people; people see one word in a sentence and distort the rest, just as they saw "bitter" and "American people" in a comment and automatically jumped to the wildest conclusion

I still can't keep up why don't we have photos or vids of Obama playing Bball with troops?

will the Euro leg of this tour be much more open to media? like live stream video?

Pimpwerx

Deus Ex Machina said:

The democratic primary coverage was manipulated to generate ratings. Why wouldn't they do the same with the general election? Perceived parity means people tune in to watch the fight. If everyone knew Obama was ready to take McCain to the woodshed thie Fall, they wouldn't care. PEACE.

Tamanon

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I still can't keep up why don't we have photos or vids of Obama playing Bball with troops?

will the Euro leg of this tour be much more open to media? like live stream video?

Something will leak out from somewhere, but generally footage of candidates hamming it up with the troops isn't released by the campaign.

thefro

So the media was about to bury the story about Prime Minister Maliki supporting Obama's withdrawal plan, but the White House accidently sent it to their entire contact list :lol

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/07/white-house-acc.html

The White House this afternoon accidentally sent to its extensive distribution list a Reuters story headlined "Iraqi PM backs Obama troop exit plan - magazine."

The story relayed how Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki told the German magazine Der Spiegel that "he supported prospective U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's proposal that U.S. troops should leave Iraq within 16 months … ‘U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama talks about 16 months. That, we think, would be the right timeframe for a withdrawal, with the possibility of slight changes,'" the prime minister said.

The White House employee had intended to send the article to an internal distribution list, ABC News' Martha Raddatz reports, but hit the wrong button.

oooooooooooooooooooops :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
thefro said:
So the media was about to bury the story about Prime Minister Maliki supporting Obama's withdrawal plan, but the White House accidently sent it to their entire contact list :lol

I actually think its possible that someone wanted this news to get out because they are pissed at the Bush administration.

Its possible.

My friends, the president of Iraq supports Barack Obama in his declaration of defeat.

Do you support Iraq, or do you support AMERICA?

That is your choice, my friends. *forced smile while blinking repeatedly*

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
siamesedreamer said:
Overlooking his reasoning and the events that have led to this point, Maliki specifically backing Obama's 16-month withdrawal plan is a huge deal.

BUT HOW CAN WE POSSIBLY OVERLOOK THE SHINY BRILLIANCE OF THE SURGE?

At least now we can withdraw with victory instead of with our tails between our legs. Huh? What's that, Maliki?

The Americans have found it difficult to agree on a concrete timetable for the exit because it seems like an admission of defeat to them. But it isn't,

I see.

GhaleonEB

thefro said:

Oh, that's delicious. Though "pushed the wrong button" is a strange way to describe sending something to a different distribution list. That sounds like McCain talking. :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
On a conference call just now with reporters, McCain foreign policy adviser Randy Scheunemann compared Barack Obama’s insistence on a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq to Bush’s insistence that we were winning even as things went badly for years.

“I think the American people have had enough of inflexibility and stubbornness in national security policy,” Scheunemann said. When asked later by the Huffington Post’s Sam Stein whether the campaign was disparaging President Bush, Scheunemann dug in: “We cannot afford to replace one administration that refused for too long to acknowledge failure in Iraq with a candidate that refuses to acknowledge success in Iraq.”

*giggle*

Tamanon

Banned
Something tells me that if you're a good PR wing of an office you don't have anything that even remotely resembles "ALL MEDIA OUTLETS" as any of your other distribution lists:p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So does the new McCain guy think comparing Obama to Bush is a smart idea?

And Tamanon can you explain your last post. :p

John_B

KRS7 said:
P.S. If you didn't catch CNN's Fareed Zakaria interview of Obama on foreign affairs topics it is a very interesting video.

part 1
part 2
Obama is one smart motherfucker. When it comes to Iraq it actually seems like he knows what he is talking about.

Tamanon

Banned
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/07/almalikis_announcement_a_big_d.php

This could be one of those unexpected events that forever changes the way the world perceives an issue. Iraq's Prime Minister agrees with Obama, and there's no wiggle room or fudge factor. This puts John McCain in an extremely precarious spot: what's left to argue? to argue against Maliki would be to predicate that Iraqi sovereignty at this point means nothing. Obviously, our national interests aren't equivalent to Iraq's, but... Malik isn't listening to the generals on the ground...but the "hasn't been to Iraq" line doesn't work here.

So how will the McCain campaign respond?

(Via e-mail, a prominent Republican strategist who occasionally provides advice to the McCain campaign said, simply, "We're fucked." No response yet from the McCain campaign, although here's what McCain said the last time Maliki mentioned withdrawal: "Since we are succeeding, then I am convinced, as I have said before, we can withdraw and withdraw with honor, not according to a set timetable. And I’m confident that is what Prime Minister Maliki is talking about, since he has told me that for many meetings we’'ve had."

LOL

KRS7

:lol :lol :lol

Thanks for the story Tamanon. Wonder if the media is going to question McCain on Maliki's position. I won't hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom