• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama doesn't care about some stupid Intrade bets.. :lol
Duh. They went up cause Kaine's is likely the pick. I am not the one struggling for news about a potential VP from the last two weeks. ;)

Selebius is off the map, the media has totally ignored her chances for weeks now unlike Kaine and Biden.

Tamanon said:
Sebelius would be a great VP if they didn't have to run a campaign before the election.
"Integrity" and "competence" Weren't those two words he said were qualities he was looking for in his interview the other day?

Hmm.

Vanity Fair's Best Dressed List winner........MICHELLE OBAMA

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/features/2008/09/bestdressed_slideshow200809?slide=2#globalNav

stsl02_bdl0809.jpg

The International Best-Dressed List
The ballots are in, and it’s Obama, by a thread! That’s Michelle Obama, who joins fellow political wife (and cover subject) Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, and—better late than never—James Bond, in the 69th annual style poll, published in Vanity Fair. Disagree with the judges? Vote for your favorites on VF Daily. Plus: Watch Amy Fine Collins introduce the 2008 list, and see who made the International Hall of Fame.

Cheebs said:
I am not the one struggling for news about a potential VP from the last two weeks.
What are you talking about? Do a Google news search on Sebelius and see how many VP articles have mention her in the last 24 hours.

I never said the articles were new I posted.. I saw those on another forum and like what they had to say, so I posted them... Stop trying to read into everything.

I'm still hoping for Sebellius. And Richardson somewhere in the cabinet. As far as "experience" goes I don't really pay attention to it, but a lot of people do, and Kaine's 2 years as Governor may raise some eyebrows. Despite being Lieutenant Governor before that, people aren't going to look that far.

Chrono

Banned
Hitokage said:
One thing you don't hear much about is that the most direct way to reverse oil prices is to kick India and China back out of the market, but hey, global economic growth helps everyone!

Oh, how dare they develop their countries and use all that oil! Americans can't afford the latest ipod because of higher gas prices taking up more from their budgets, those damn indians and chinese ought to know better than to try and pull themselves out of poverty!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
obama-couple.jpg

WTF is up with the people today? They treat politicians (of all people) like rock stars! Well, they treat Obama like a rock star... :lol

UltimaKilo said:
obama-couple.jpg

WTF is up with the people today? They treat politicians (of all people) like rock stars! Well, they treat Obama like a rock star... :lol
That's what I'm saying! Just look at Bush as an example. The president is not supposed to be popular!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Steve Youngblood said:
That's what I'm saying! Just look at Bush as an example. The president is not supposed to be popular!

The difference is that Obama is not President, and people only start to hate you when you are in office. Obama acknowledged this is London!

As an International Relations professor reminded me a few years back: "there's someone else to hate right around the corner!" :lol

GhaleonEB

McCain said:
Sen. Obama is an impressive speaker, and the beauty of his words has attracted many people, especially among the young, to his campaign.
That's so condecending to "the young" that I don't even know where to start.

Oh, Obama's words. Those pretty, pretty words. How they make me swoon.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:

I don't know about you, but I'm fapping furiously.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
syllogism said:
The real question is why are rock stars treated like, err, rock stars

Well in Obama we have someone who is applying for a job, and we celebrate them until they get into office. Exactly as Machiavelli noted.

GhaleonEB said:

It hurts even more when you're sixteen. :(

It's like he thinks I can't make my own informed decisions.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
GhaleonEB said:

Seriously,

Obama's supporters remind me of Frank Sinatra's bobbysoxers swooning over him, except Obama has neither the looks nor voice that Frank had. :lol

UltimaKilo said:
Seriously,

Obama's supporters remind me of Frank Sinatra's bobbysoxers swooning over him, except Obama has neither the looks nor voice that Frank had. :lol
You do realize that this attack has been done to death before, right? But please, do carry on pretending that the "cult of personality" critiques constitue legitimate criticism against his candidacy.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
UltimaKilo's right. Almost everyone supporting Obama is just a shallow, easily excited faddist. Now that he's posting in the thread maybe we can raise the level of discourse and truly examine some issues in a nuanced...

UltimaKilo said:
Now look at Obama, that guy is a communist.

Oh. Well then.

Macam

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
obama-couple.jpg

It's kind of hard to fault Ebony magazine for wanting to put the Obamas on the cover given the historical importance of his nomination, let alone possible presidency, and the magazine's own audience and intent, isn't it?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Chrono said:
Oh, how dare they develop their countries and use all that oil! Americans can't afford the latest ipod because of higher gas prices taking up more from their budgets, those damn indians and chinese ought to know better than to try and pull themselves out of poverty!
Significantly more people using a finite resource = higher prices for everyone.

That said, I'm not criticizing the Indians or the Chinese here, although they should at least learn from our example, but rather those who blindly advocate increased resource use as if there's always more to be found because that's what our current economic system assumes.

Joe said:
im watching yesterdays colbert report and that was a weird moment about robert novak. kinda awkward.

It's possible the news came down late and Colbert literally had nothing to talk about... so he did what any good pundit would do; talk about himself!

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Well you're not going to keep India or China from buying oil. Not without occupying about a dozen more countries, anyway.

I've read the argument that as far as CO2 emissions go reducing oil consumption is useless because the countries with reserves will keep drilling and selling until the wells go dry. Which is a bit depressing and fatalistic, but might be right.

Cheebs

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I don't know about you guys, but I still need to register to vote.

Can you register online?
I dont believe any state lets you register online as far as I know. Most states have a cut off date too so you better do it soon. I know here in MI you can't register past around sometime near Sept 1st.

I live in Florida. Damn I guess I better hurry.

EDIT-Seems you can register to vote online?

Registering to vote in Florida is very easy. You can use the online Florida Voter Registration Application if you need to update your voter information or register for the first time. Florida is a closed primary state. To be qualified to vote in a partisan primary election, you are required to be a registered voter in the party for which the primary is being held. Register to vote in Florida by following these simple steps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2046989_reg...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

I was reading an old issue of the RollingStone Magazine (it says at the bottom of every page "April 2008), particularly the article titled "Hillary's Flimsy Case." The author, Matt Taibbi, realizes that Hillary doesn't have a chance at winning (which, of course, turned out to be true) but at the end of the article he writes something that I disagreed with, and still disagree with entirely.

Democrats had all the momentum going into this race because of seven years of uninterrupted press scrutiny of the Bush administration; by the time November rolls around, however, most voters are going to feel like the Democrats have been in charge for over a year. And McCain will be able to swoop in and ride a "throw the bums out" uprising straight to the White House - just in time to actually keep the same old bums in charge. In American politics, always look for the worst possible scenario to emerge triumphant. And right now, that's it.

I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't feel like the Dems have been in charge for over a year, nor have I seen this "uprising" of McCain.:lol

This man will eat crow.

Macam

Banned
Dax01 said:
I was reading an old issue of the RollingStone Magazine (it says at the bottom of every page "April 2008), particularly the article titled "Hillary's Flimsy Case." The author, Matt Taibbi, realizes that Hillary doesn't have a chance at winning (which, of course, turned out to be true) but at the end of the article he writes something that I disagreed with, and still disagree with entirely.

This man will eat crow.

Well, to be fair, Matt Taibbi is a loon so that sounds about right.

GhaleonEB

Some context for Obama's $20 million Latino outreach program:

The DNC today announced a joint effort with the Obama campaign to dump an unprecedented $20 million into Latino outreach, communication, registration, and GOTV efforts.

For comparison, the entire amount spent by all parties (Dem and GOP) and third-party groups like NDN in 2004 was $8.7 million.

And the Florida ground game:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/7/29/133614/610/483/558861

Sen. Barack Obama is set to open more than a dozen offices in Florida in the next two weeks alone, a commitment of resources that his campaign says will put him far ahead of the pace set by his Democratic predecessors, John Kerry and Al Gore.

Already with fully staffed offices in three major cities, the Illinois Democrat is formally opening additional headquarters in five other cities this week and eight others next week, bringing the total amount of Obama for America offices in the state to 16.

"We are building an unprecedented campaign for change in Florida," said Obama's Communications Director in the state, Mark Bubriski. "[We are] months ahead organizationally of Gore/Kerry."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/29/obama-months-ahead-of-gor_n_115554.html

Obama is really ahead of the curve on getting his organization in place, despite McCain's three-month head start.

Dax01 said:
I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't feel like the Dems have been in charge for over a year, nor have I seen this "uprising" of McCain.

This man will eat crow.
I think he's just painting a worse-case scenario. You can already feel how irrelevant Bush has become. If people stop caring about him, but are still engaged in politics, their ire has to go somewhere.

Luckily, the Dems have been so ineffective with their majority that I doubt half the electorate even realize that they are partially in charge.

GhaleonEB

mamacint said:
I think he's just painting a worse-case scenario. You can already feel how irrelevant Bush has become. If people stop caring about him, but are still engaged in politics, their ire has to go somewhere.

Luckily, the Dems have been so ineffective with their majority that I doubt half the electorate even realize that they are partially in charge.
And really, there's so much crow out there to munch on, there's not point in going back and counting it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom