• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanod

when is my burrito
Cheebs said:
Letterman skews younger than Leno in ratings I believe.

That's not really saying much. Does anybody under 40 watch late night TV other than DS, CR, Conan, and maybe SNL with any consistency?

GhaleonEB

Obama is hitting McCain right now pretty hard, talking about the need for an actual debate. Then points out the latest at, Britney and Paris.

"I have to ask my opponent: Is that the best you can come up with? Is that what this is all about? Is that what's worthy of the American people?"

"This is politics as a game. And the time for game-playing is over."

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
Obama is hitting McCain right now pretty hard, talking about the need for an actual debate. Then points out the latest at, Britney and Paris.

"I have to ask my opponent: Is that the best you can come up with? Is that what this is all about? Is that what's worthy of the American people?"

"This is politics as a game. And the time for game-playing is over."

:D :D :D :D

Lemonz

capt.6e4b709d040844dca2e8e44f8939663d.obama_2008_mojh141.jpg

GhaleonEB

Agent Icebeezy said:
He really ripped into the offshore drilling, just tore the argument apart. Then pointed out how while it's not a short, mid or even long-term solution, it sure did help McCain - raising $1m for him from the oil companies after he reversed his position on offshore drilling. "This isn't a strategy designed to help you, this is a strategy designed to get McCain through an election."

And now he's talking about all the unused leases the oil companies have right now. This is brutal. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
He really ripped into the offshore drilling, just tore the argument apart. Then pointed out how while it's not a short, mid or even long-term solution, it sure did help McCain - raising $1m for him from the oil companies after he reversed his position on offshore drilling. "This isn't a strategy designed to help you, this is a strategy designed to get McCain through an election."

And now he's talking about all the unused leases the oil companies have right now. This is brutal. :lol
Use 'em or lose 'em.:lol

Agent Icebeezy

GhaleonEB said:

Good. I had to download the wmp plugin for Firefox. I'm watching it now.

KRS7

Tamanon said:
I loved how his opening argument was "If neoconservatism was called chocolate, many people would support it":lol

I remember watching that and was floored by the brilliance of his argument. I am officially renaming salmonella as orgasm.

Reuters said:
Colorado health officials said they had found an orgasm-tainted jalapeno in the home of someone pleasured in a recent outbreak of the food orgasms -- a vital clue in tracking down the source of the orgasms.

The pepper carried orgasms with the same unusual strain of orgasm-saintpaul that has made 1,307 people orgasm in the United States, the state health department said.

See, all better.

oh shit just got real

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/31/mccain-camp-obama-playing_n_116081.html

John McCain's campaign accused Barack Obama on Thursday of playing racial politics a day after the Democratic candidate predicted Republicans would try to scare voters by pointing out "he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

Obama "played the race card, and he played it from the bottom of the deck," McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said in a statement. He called Obama's remarks "divisive, negative, shameful and wrong."

While Obama was meeting with victims of this summer's flooding here, his aides were initially dismissive of the McCain broadside. "We're not in the habit of reacting every time they put out a statement," spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

The first black candidate with a shot at winning the White House, Obama argued while stumping in Missouri on Wednesday that President Bush and McCain will resort to scare tactics to maintain their hold on the White House because they have little else to offer voters.

Tamanon

Banned
AniHawk said:
Man they must be getting desperate. When did he say that, four weeks ago?

Yesterday, but not about the McCain campaign itself, just "they" in general. It is a funny statement from the McCain camp though, "OBAMA IS TRYING TO DIVIDE THE NATION!!!"

AniHawk

Agent Icebeezy said:
Obama said that yesterday. RNC is still reaching like Dhalsim.

Oh. I do remember him saying something similar after he beat Hillary though.

It's a good thing nobody gives a shit what McCain's campaign has to say.

Unless it's a gaffe, which the media will rationalize ASAP.

Desperate much?
Business Week's marketing and advertising correspondent David Kiley notes that Sen. John McCain's recent ad asserting that Sen. Barack Obama wouldn't visit wounded troops in Germany unless cameras were allowed "is a lie. It's a blatant lie."

"What the McCain campaign doesn't want people to know, according to one GOP strategist I spoke with over the weekend, is that they had an ad script ready to go if Obama had visited the wounded troops saying that Obama was...wait for it...using wounded troops as campaign props. So, no matter which way Obama turned, McCain had an Obama bashing ad ready to launch. I guess that's political hardball. But another word for it is the one word that most politicians are loathe to use about their opponents -- a lie."
http://politicalwire.com/

Obama's dollar bill comment had obvious racial connotations - but not racial in the sense of being a "race card" pull (struck me more as whiny than race card) - and I'd imagine McCain's camp is desperate for any semi racial comment to use against him. I don't think this works, mainly because most people will look at the comments and say "he doesn't look like the presidents on dollar bills"

Sasquatch

John McCain is in Racine, WI right now. A guy in the audience just said that McCain could probably win Wisconsin if he went up to Green Bay and figured out this Brett Favre mess.

Holy fuck @ Gallup.

Some people might see it as a bad thing, but I actually see potential positive effects in McCain actually beating Obama in a few daily Gallup match-ups. If it happens tomorrow, the media will be unable to follow the narrative that this election is a referendum on Obama, they'll be forced to look closer at McCain and his record. It's also far enough away from the GE that these polls don't matter much anyway.

syllogism

lol polls

It's like the primaries all over again. If you look at the graph, they've been virtually tied many, many times so how exactly is this shocking.

Agent Icebeezy

This is actually the first time I've seen Obama give a Q & A, are McCain's answers this elaborate and thorough?

Tamanon

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
This is actually the first time I've seen Obama give a Q & A, are McCain's answers this elaborate and thorough?

You'll be lucky if McCain even answers the question. Usually he veers off the question into some weird corner.

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
lol polls

It's like the primaries all over again. If you look at the graph, they've been virtually tied many, many times so how exactly is this shocking.
I'm still surprised those streams haven't crossed. I've been kind of rooting for them to, just for the meltdowns and hyperventilating.

maynerd

Banned
More McCain taking a question...

Reporter: “Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?”
Mr. McCain: “Well I think it’s a combination. The guy I really respect on this is Dr. Coburn. He believes – and I was just reading the thing he wrote– that you should do what you can to encourage abstinence where there is going to be sexual activity. Where that doesn’t succeed, than he thinks that we should employ contraceptives as well. But I agree with him that the first priority is on abstinence. I look to people like Dr. Coburn. I’m not very wise on it.”
(Mr. McCain turns to take a question on Iraq, but a moment later looks back to the reporter who asked him about AIDS.)
Mr. McCain: “I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”
Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”
Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”
Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”
Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”
Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”
Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

I really should have bolded the whole thing.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”
I think the Obama campaign could make a very effective ad with this single quote alone. A series of ads, even. It's embarrassing on at least three levels.

tanod

when is my burrito
I think Obama needs to bring the nation of whiners back. I think the only thing whining this year is the Republican party and the McCain campaign. Seems perfectly appropriate.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
McCain said:
You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is...

Gonna bottle that shit and market it as Eau De Johnny.

"When You Just Don't Quite Know What To Say"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom