• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
maynerd said:
No way the media won't talk about it they will kill it. They got other ads to talk about like the hilton/spears ad.

But why would they talk about the Paris Hilton ad all da, but not the informative ad Obama put out yesterday about this interesting oil discovery?

APF said:
If I were to venture an intuitive point--and not one I've read or heard,--I'm assuming from the beginning of this campaign (or really even prior to) McCain felt the only way he could make headway towards the Presidency was to abandon himself to strategists, and so far he's been at least half right.

The chattering class didn't like it, but the Celeb offensive put McCain in the driver's seat for the first time.

Last week, John McCain virtually tied Barack Obama in the battle for press attention for the first time since the kickoff of the general election, according to a Project for Excellence in Journalism study of campaign coverage.

McCain appeared as a significant or dominant factor in 78% of election stories the week of July 28-Aug. 3, compared with 81% for Obama. This is McCain’s highest amount of coverage since the general election season began officially in early June. (His second highest coverage level, 62%, occurred in the week of June 30-July 6.)
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/

Any lead Obama gained from the overseas trip virtually disappeared once he landed back on US soil. McCain's ads are tacky but I've heard many people complain about Obama's "celeb" arrogance, even before the ads. I suppose some will stretch to find racism in that but we've been hearing about his arrogance from people who aren't even conservative hitmen - remember the various stories that came out after Obama's NH loss, about him growing arrogant and expecting the nomination to fall into his lap after Iowa?

How does one "act" white. I hate hearing black people say this, because really if you're suggesting being smart, well read, etc is "acting white" what are you saying about yourself?

Someone should have called Keith on that bullshit. Ask him: what does acting white mean, and what does acting black mean.

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
McCain Campaign has purchased a $6 million ad buy for the Olympics.
I was wondering if they were going to let Obama's ad buy go unanswered. How negative will he go during Olympic coverage?

The moderators for the debates have been picked, per First Read.

First presidential debate
Friday, September 26
The University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.
Jim Lehrer
Executive Editor and Anchor, The NewsHour, PBS

Vice presidential debate
Thursday, October 2
Washington University in St. Louis, Mo.
Gwen Ifill
Senior Correspondent, The NewsHour, and Moderator and Managing Editor,
Washington Week, PBS

Second presidential debate (town meeting)
Tuesday, October 7
Belmont University, Nashville, Tenn.
Tom Brokaw
Special Correspondent, NBC News

Third presidential debate
Wednesday, October 15
Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.
Bob Schieffer
CBS News Chief Washington Correspondent, and Host, Face the Nation

Pretty good picks accross the board.

Chichikov

PhoenixDark said:
Someone should have called Keith on that bullshit. Ask him: what does acting white mean, and what does acting black mean.
Listen to the clip, he was called on that immediately by the interviewer.
In any way, Toby Keith came out as a retard, but as I said before, injecting race into this campaign only serves McCain.

HylianTom

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I was wondering if they were going to let Obama's ad buy go unanswered. How negative will he go during Olympic coverage?

I'm wondering that myself. The Olympics are supposed to be feel-good television, full of feel-good advertising, and I'm guessing that McCain wouldn't want his ads to disrupt that mood.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the McCain strategists take another route..

TomServo said:
I feel the same way about Hollywood celebrities.

Pretty much.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:

Any lead Obama gained from the overseas trip virtually disappeared once he landed back on US soil. McCain's ads are tacky but I've heard many people complain about Obama's "celeb" arrogance, even before the ads. I suppose some will stretch to find racism in that but we've been hearing about his arrogance from people who aren't even conservative hitmen - remember the various stories that came out after Obama's NH loss, about him growing arrogant and expecting the nomination to fall into his lap after Iowa?

There will always be stories about presidential candidates being arrogant because to a certain extent the all are.

Hell John McCain shows this arrogance everyday when he acts like you have to have been in the senate for 20+ years just to be president. And what about all those times McCain acts like he didn't say something even though it was caught on videotape? That's pure arrogance.

PhoenixDark said:

You see, black people drive like this. And white people drive like this. :p

GhaleonEB said:

The moderators for the debates have been picked, per First Read.

First presidential debate
Friday, September 26
The University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.
Jim Lehrer
Executive Editor and Anchor, The NewsHour, PBS

Vice presidential debate
Thursday, October 2
Washington University in St. Louis, Mo.
Gwen Ifill
Senior Correspondent, The NewsHour, and Moderator and Managing Editor,
Washington Week, PBS

Second presidential debate (town meeting)
Tuesday, October 7
Belmont University, Nashville, Tenn.
Tom Brokaw
Special Correspondent, NBC News

Third presidential debate
Wednesday, October 15
Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.
Bob Schieffer
CBS News Chief Washington Correspondent, and Host, Face the Nation

Pretty good picks accross the board.

I hope Obama can destroy McCain in the first two debates before Bob "McCain is the Maverick" Schieffer has his way with him. I also hope Brokaw stays away from tabloid issues. Rev. Wright will be making his rounds again thanks to the RNC and 527s so there's no need for moderators to go there again.

Thank god we won't have to deal with Father Charlie Gibson sneering over the glasses perched on his nose lamenting Obama's plan to raise the capital gains tax.

Diablos

“I don’t know if you know this,” joked Kerry, “John McCain is looking for someone for vice president who has more economic expertise than he does. So congratulations to all of you, you’re on the short list.”
:lol

Incognito said:
Thank god we won't have to deal with Father Charlie Gibson sneering over the glasses perched on his nose lamenting Obama's plan to raise the capital gains tax.

original.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
I'd love Colbert to be a moderator. He could have a rapid-fire round entitled "Wag Your Finger or Tip Your Hat."

And his opening question to each candidate could be, "What do you consider to be the top three threats to America?"

so_awes

Banned
HylianTom said:
I'd love Colbert to be a moderator. He could have a rapid-fire round entitled "Wag Your Finger or Tip Your Hat."

And his opening question to each candidate could be, "What do you consider to be the top three threats to America?"
and "What do you think of President Bush, a great president or the greatest president?"

Awesome to see no more ABC debates. What a joke!

So are these debates going to be shown on their respective hosts' networks? Because if the first two are on PBS, nobody is going to watch them...

Also: is it confirmed which ones will be stand-up podium or sit-down table debates?

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA heads to Youngstown, OH, today to talk about his plan for energy independence

capt.4fb25bc858b8454e9f09a18002c1b240.obama_2008_ohab102.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. walks to the bus in Youngstown, Ohio, Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.f525781c87f24b02b065d3e0d31b76fc.obama_2008_ohab101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. boards the bus in Youngstown, Ohio, Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Also, sharing birthday cake with the press on the campaign plane yesterday...
capt.4dad6648855f49278bb81c7cead288b7.obama_2008_xifb105.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., serves birthday cake to ABC correspondent Jake Tapper, left, while serving the press corps on his birthday while in flight Monday, Aug. 4, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.6586a78ba1574f4c9aca3852dcfe6b24.obama_2008_xifb101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., smiles as he serves birthday cake to the press corps on his birthday while in flight Monday, Aug. 4, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Deus Ex Machina said:
Also, sharing birthday cake with the press on the campaign plane yesterday...
capt.4dad6648855f49278bb81c7cead288b7.obama_2008_xifb105.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., serves birthday cake to ABC correspondent Jake Tapper, left, while serving the press corps on his birthday while in flight Monday, Aug. 4, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.6586a78ba1574f4c9aca3852dcfe6b24.obama_2008_xifb101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., smiles as he serves birthday cake to the press corps on his birthday while in flight Monday, Aug. 4, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
America runs on Obama.

TDG

Banned
Farmboy said:
Wow, if only John Kerry had been as good a surrogate for himself as he is for Obama:
Kerry has been a fucking awesome surrogate. He's an awesome guy, and he's incredibly sharp. I'm a big fan, and it's a damn shame that he didn't turn out to be a very good presidential candidate.

Cheebs

The Lamonster said:
Awesome to see no more ABC debates. What a joke!

So are these debates going to be shown on their respective hosts' networks? Because if the first two are on PBS, nobody is going to watch them...

Also: is it confirmed which ones will be stand-up podium or sit-down table debates?
All the debates are on NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, FoxNews, MSNBC, and CNN at the same time despite the host. Debates get like 100 million viewers due to massive coverage.

Also 0 are podium debates. They are all sit down debates other than the town hall one.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dax01 said:
McCain:
"We're not going to solve our energy crisis by inflating our tires."
wat.

That's their new thing. All the robots are rolling it out en masse as a way of showing how elitist and out of touch Obama is. Fucking idiots.

Cheebs

bob_arctor said:
That's their new thing. All the robots are rolling it out en masse as a way of showing how elitist and out of touch Obama is. Fucking idiots.
This is not a new tactic. When democrats "lecture" the public on how they can help during a energy crisis on their own Republicans always mock them, same thing happened to Carter.

Energy is oddly a issue where Democrats are the party who tend to want the public on their own to be responsible more so than the Republicans, perhaps the only one I can think of.

Cheebs said:
All the debates are on NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, FoxNews, MSNBC, and CNN at the same time despite the host. Debates get like 100 million viewers due to massive coverage.

Also 0 are podium debates. They are all sit down debates other than the town hall one.
Thanks for the clarification and I'd like to add that it's fucking lame as all hell that at least one of those won't be podium.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/gop-claims-house-protest-led-to-lower-prices-2008-08-05.html

House Republicans on Tuesday said their protest of Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) decision not to allow a vote on expanded offshore oil drilling has helped lower gas prices.

Heading into a third day of speeches in the near-empty chamber, Republicans acknowledged that the average price of gas and oil has declined in recent weeks. But they claimed credit for part of that reduction.

“I think the market is responding to the fact that we are here talking,” said Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz.) at a joint press conference with other GOP lawmakers. “I think the market realizes this kind of pressure from Congress may, in fact, lead to a change in policy.”
i didn't think the GOP could top the spin they put on Obama's tire pressure line, but whoa boy.

GOP: see? we lowered gas prices
nation: how?
GOP: by talking amongst ourselves about it
nation: how?
GOP: because it shows that we're willing to talk about things
nation: is this coming up for a vote?
GOP: no, Congress is out of session.
nation: oh. are your talks being simulcast on CSPAN?
GOP: no.
nation: so how does this do anything?
GOP: it shows that we mean business, even if we can't do anything unless Democrats acquiesce on the issue.
nation: oh, okay.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Dax01 said:
McCain:
"We're not going to solve our energy crisis by inflating our tires."
wat.

Obama sounds like my ex-girlfriend: picking out one or two words and harping on 'em instead of listening to the whole damn story.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
PhoenixDark said:

huh? are you just making things up now?

GhaleonEB

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who did a double-take at Ben Smith's post using "exclusive access" to an anti-Obama book as a justification for covering it (and not the similar books out on McCain). His readers (and Kos) are tearing him to shreds for it.

Smith said:
I wrote up the Obama book because, as I wrote in the piece, I was given exclusive access to it by the publisher, and its contents were news.

Hey Ben, I really don't think your argument is too solid there. You seem to acknowledge some level of manipulation. You may want to refine your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom