• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheebs said:
Regardless of the speech content he'll lose the convention comparison on pure imagary.

McCain will speak in front of 2,000 in a convention hall. Obama will speak in front of 70,000 in a football stadium.

70,000? Good lord.

Instigator said:
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,570315,00.html

APF in 3, 2, 1...

As always, the Big Dog was more concerned with himself — asserting that he’s not a racist — than his party. Bill Clinton is not a racist. We can posit that. But he did play subtle racial politics in the primary. It’s way past time for him to accept the fact that there’s a new wunderkind in town.

He hasn't won anything yet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
Obama's rallies in Portland, Austin, Philly, and Berlin all were bigger I think.

No, Austin only got around 30K at the Feb. Rally this year and about 16K in a rally in early 2007.

Austin is still brought up because it was his first big rally right after he announced he was running. Then the Feb. rally had been his largest to that point.

StoOgE said:
No, Austin only got around 30K at the Feb. Rally this year and about 16K in a rally in early 2007.

Austin is still brought up because it was his first big rally right after he announced he was running. Then the Feb. rally had been his largest to that point.
Austin is still brought up because McCain still can't draw in that large of a crowd.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ABC News Polling Director Gary Langer asked, “If everything is so good for Barack Obama, why isn’t everything so good for Barack Obama?”

LINK

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama may be the fresh face in this year's presidential election, but nearly half say they're already tired of hearing about him, a poll says.

LINK

Well, the pundits keep claiming that the public doesn't know enough about Obama. They have to find a new narrative to keep the spotlight on Obama or otherwise they wouldn't have much to talk about. Hardball has been pushing this race angle debate for about a week now. I'm sick to death of it personally.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080503502_pf.html

The bundle of $2,300 and $4,600 checks that poured into Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign on March 12 came from an unlikely group of California donors: a mechanic from D&D Auto Repair in Whittier, the manager of Rite Aid Pharmacy No. 5727, the 30-something owners of the Twilight Hookah Lounge in Fullerton....

Some of the most prolific givers in Sargeant's network live in modest homes in Southern California's Inland Empire. Most had never given a political contribution before being contacted by Sargeant or his associates. Most said they have never voiced much interest in politics. And in several instances, they had never registered to vote. And yet, records show, some families have ponied up as much as $18,400 for various candidates between December and March.....

Donors reached by phone or interviewed in person declined to explain who asked them to make the contributions.

Ibrahim Marabeh, who is listed in public records as a Rite Aid manager, at first denied that he wrote any political checks. He then said he was asked by "a local person. But I would like not to talk about it anymore." Neither he nor his wife is registered to vote, but the two donated $4,600 to Clinton and $4,600 to Giuliani in December.

At the Twilight Hookah Lounge, owned by Nadia and Shawn Abdalla, patrons smoke tobacco flavored with honey and fruit from a menu that includes the strawberry-flavored Sex on the Beach and the strong, orange-flavored Fuzzy Navel.

The Abdallas, who are not registered to vote, said in an interview that they recalled writing a check to an organization in Miami, because a person with that organization was a friend of their mother's. They said they could not remember his name.

Nader, 39, and Sahar Alhawash, 28, of Colton, Calif, who at one point ran the Avon Village Liquor store, donated a total of $18,400 to Giuliani, Clinton and McCain between December and March. About 80 people in the country made such large contributions to all three, and most were wealthy business executives, such as Donald Trump. The Alhawashes declined to comment about the donations. Abdullah Abdullah, a supervisor at several Taco Bell restaurants in the Riverside area, and his wife have donated $9,200 to McCain.

Reached at work, Abdullah said he knows little about the campaign. "I have no idea. I'll be honest with you," he said. "I'm involved in the restaurant business. My brother Faisal recommended John McCain. Whenever he makes a recommendation, we do it."

Faisal Abdullah, 49, said he helped organize all of the contributions from members of his family. When he was asked who solicited the contributions from him, he said: "Why does it matter who? I'm telling you we made the contribution. We funneled it through the channel in Florida because that's the contact we had. I was responsible for collecting it."

This is just friggin' weird. Especially the contributions to Giuliani, Clinton, and McCain......

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
siamesedreamer said:
Obama talks about how more than half of his contributions come from 200 dollars or less.

The article you link says that is true, and then goes on to define where the other money is coming from.

So what's the problem? Is his statement false?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
RubxQub said:
Obama talks about how more than half of his contributions come from 200 dollars or less.

The article you link says that is true, and then goes on to define where the other money is coming from.

So what's the problem? Is his statement false?

but you see, Obama has to either be 100% perfect, otherwise he's a corrupt radical failure of a candidate

NLB2

Banned
maximum360 said:
Well, the pundits keep claiming that the public doesn't know enough about Obama. They have to find a new narrative to keep the spotlight on Obama or otherwise they wouldn't have much to talk about. Hardball has been pushing this race angle debate for about a week now. I'm sick to death of it personally.

To be fair, the only policy issues the media has talked about in depth at all are the short term ones that one or both candidates think they can use to their advantage, i.e. the price of oil and Afghanistan.

You don't hear to much about long term issues such as possible supreme court nominees, free trade agreements, the Taiwan situation and we're even hearing less and less about Iraq and the WOT.

Its kind of reminiscent of the Bush campaign in 2004 focusing so much attention on something so unimportant as gay marriage.

In the two months since Barack Obama captured the Democratic nomination, he has hit a ceiling in public opinion polling, proving unable to make significant gains with any segment of the national electorate.

While Obama still leads in most matchups with John McCain, the Illinois senator’s apparent stall in the polls is a sobering reminder to Democrats intoxicated with his campaign’s promises to expand the electoral map beyond the boundaries that have constrained other recent party nominees.

That gap between expectations and reality comes as Democrats enjoy the most favorable political winds since at least 1976. At least eight in ten Americans believe the nation is on the wrong track. The Republican president is historically unpopular. From stunning Democratic gains in party registration to the high levels of economic anxiety, Obama should have a healthy lead by almost every measure. Yet, in poll after poll, Obama conspicuously fails to cross the 50-percent threshold.

ABC News Polling Director Gary Langer asked, “If everything is so good for Barack Obama, why isn’t everything so good for Barack Obama?”

Obama remains ahead, depending on the national poll, by low to high single digits. The Gallup Poll Daily tracking survey, which randomly interviews at least 1,000 voters each day, has recently found that Obama leads by 3 to 4 percentage points.

In the first full week of the general election, June 9-15, Obama led by between 2 and 7 percentage points. Just short of two months later, registered voters have not significantly shifted their views, as Gallup finds public opinion still fluctuating between roughly the same margins.

“What’s remarkable this summer is the stability of this race,” Gallup’s director Frank Newport said. “In a broad sense, it is similar to previous elections.”

In Gallup’s last national poll prior to the 2004 party conventions, for example, John F. Kerry led President George W. Bush 47 percent to 43 percent. In 2000, also in Gallup’s last national poll prior to the party conventions, Bush led former Vice President Al Gore 46 percent to 41 percent.

Three demographic groups have generally kept Obama ahead in the past two months: African-Americans, youth and Hispanics. But a lead based on those groups is a tenuous one. The youth vote, notorious for not meeting expectations, must turn out in significantly higher numbers than in past elections. Obama must continue to win the black vote nearly unanimously and still turn out new African-American voters. McCain must continue to underperform with Hispanics by about 10 percentage points compared to Bush in the summer of 2004.

McCain might also be said to have hit a ceiling himself. At best, he has statistically tied Obama for fleeting periods this summer.

Yet in this Democratic year, the subject that dominates chatter among pollsters is Obama’s stubbornly slim lead.

If there is a primary explanation as to why the race has remained close this summer, it is that Obama has failed to make gains overall with white voters, who still cast about three in four ballots on Election Day.

As Gore did in 2000, Obama nearly splits white women and loses white men by a large margin, according to an aggregate of polling in June and July 2008, and 2000 polling by the Pew Research Center for People and the Press.

Depending upon the week in June or July, by Gallup’s measure, Obama has roughly fluctuated between splitting or, at worst, trailing by about five percent with white women. In that same period, Obama has only won between 34 percent and 37 percent of white men.

In general — and with men in particular — Pew's data shows that Obama's gains with young whites compared to Gore in 2000 are offset by a weakness with older whites.

Obama also seems to have hit a ceiling with Hispanics. Latino support fluctuates between 57 percent, by the latest weekly measure, to 68 percent the week before — roughly the margin of Hispanic support that has marked the entire summer, by Gallup's measure.

What all this suggests is a general election that is much tighter than many analysts predicted and defined by far more stubborn levels of support.

As it stands, on Aug. 3 the Real Clear Politics average of national polling had 46.6 percent of the public supporting Obama, putting him narrowly ahead of McCain. Exactly two months before, on June 3, that same average had Obama at the exact same level of support — 46.6 percent.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12334.html

Obama's central theme about McCain=Bush isn't working and that's obvious from polls. If this was any other republican I'm sure Obama would be up by higher margins. But on the same time it's baffling that the democrats can't take the advantage over such a destabilized, unenthused GOP.

Something is going to turn the tide eventually either way.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
soul creator said:
but you see, Obama has to either be 100% perfect, otherwise he's a corrupt radical failure of a candidate

This actually speaks to a facet of the American people as a whole that worries me in regards to elections--that any perception of being told what to do, who to vote for, will only bring backlash and rejection and ultimately shitty fucking Presidents. Like 2004.

HylianTom

Banned
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/08/06/insiders_suggest_obamas_pick_not_coming_soon.html

Insiders Suggest Obama's Pick Not Coming Soon

Obama aides tell the Financial Times that "it is unlikely a running mate will be selected before the candidate returns from a week's holiday in Hawaii, which starts this Friday. That leaves about 10 days until the start of the Democratic party convention in Denver."

They also say it's not likely to be leaked. "In addition to Michelle Obama, the candidate's inner circle consists of just three people: David Axelrod, his senior strategist, David Plouffe, his campaign manager, and Robert Gibbs, a senior adviser. All three are intensely loyal and discreet Obama professionals."

Nonetheless, the newspaper suggest Sen. Hillary Clinton "has made a comback" in recent days and may be on the short list.

Very interesting..

HylianTom

Banned
Dax01 said:
No Hillary Clinton please.

That didn't take long at all. :lol

maynerd said:
I don't like Hillary for VP but I gotta think that if she's added to the ticket it will blow McSame out of the water.

I suspect that the gender gap (white female voters who swung for Clinton and Reagan) would seal the deal for the ticket. Just a hunch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12334.html

Obama's central theme about McCain=Bush isn't working and that's obvious from polls. If this was any other republican I'm sure Obama would be up by higher margins. But on the same time it's baffling that the democrats can't take the advantage over such a destabilized, unenthused GOP.

Something is going to turn the tide eventually either way.

So are those ame people going to talk about the state by state voting? And how its actually not close right now by mos measures.

AniHawk

maynerd said:
I don't like Hillary for VP but I gotta think that if she's added to the ticket it will blow McSame out of the water.

Wouldn't it kinda go against what Obama campaigned for in the primaries?

maynerd

Banned
The proof we've been all been waiting for!

58768.jpg

tanod

when is my burrito
maynerd said:

With as unenergized as the Republican hardcore base is, I wonder if HRC will be enough to rouse them from their grumbly caves.

Also, it has been proven that Bill Clinton can not stay on message. Bill Clinton may be one of the msot effective politicians of our time but the primary campaign made it plainly obvious that it only works if he's campaigning for himself. That and during the 8 years of Clinton's reign, the Democratic lost ground in all other realms of governmental power.

EDIT:
1)That pic does not look like John Edwards.
2)John Edwards would never get caught wearing something like that ever. I think he sleeps in a suit.

AniHawk said:
Wouldn't it kinda go against what Obama campaigned for in the primaries?

Not really. You guys are putting too much emphasis on the VP. Romney could give Michigan to McCain, Hillary would guarantee an Obama win. Both of those potential VPs clashed hard with the nominees but it won't matter much in the long run. I like Bayh but maybe Obama needs a pitbull who'll punch McCain in the face ala Hillary

maynerd

Banned
tanod said:
With as unenergized as the Republican hardcore base is, I wonder if HRC will be enough to rouse them from their grumbly caves.

Also, it has been proven that Bill Clinton can not stay on message. Bill Clinton may be one of the msot effective politicians of our time but the primary campaign made it plainly obvious that it only works if he's campaigning for himself. That and during the 8 years of Clinton's reign, the Democratic lost ground in all other realms of governmental power.

Those are very good points.

tanod

when is my burrito
PhoenixDark said:
Not really. You guys are putting too much emphasis on the VP. Romney could give Michigan to McCain, Hillary would guarantee an Obama win. Both of those potential VPs clashed hard with the nominees but it won't matter much in the long run. I like Bayh but maybe Obama needs a pitbull who'll punch McCain in the face ala Hillary

I saw Bayh on Morning Joe this morning and he's pretty effective at making an argument and stays on point.

If Hillary is picked as Obama's VP candidate the Republicans will actually have a great attack line that involves absolutely no spin whatsoever which would be a first. They could show a few clips of Hillary's "misspeaking" and follow them with clips of Obama calling for a change in politics. Then they say "If Barack Obama will compromise his core principles just to win an election, what's stopping him from compromising them even more when he wins? Vote McCain." Obama doesn't need that.

Another thing is that like someone else mentioned, the fiery hatred on the right for Hillary could easily stoke the flames of a currently unenrgized Republican base.

Also, those of you that think Bill would not be in the mix in this event are in denial. Obama would be looked at as being undermined by his VP and VeepSpouse, whether they are actually undermining him or not. It would hurt Obama's credibility.

The negatives outweigh the positives of nominating Hillary as VP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom