• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

XCell9200 said:
Why? Well I don't want anything resembling socialized healthcare, simply because I won't use it and therefore don't want to pay the ridiculous amount it's going to cost. And please, no one tell me he's going to figure out a way to minimize the cost of it. Because its bull and everyone knows it. The upper tax bracket is paying 40% of their salary to the government. I mean, how much more does everyone really expect them to give?
Obama's does not replace any other system, and is not mandated. Pretty far from socialized healthcare. And McCain's plan is going to cost even more, while covering fewer and providing less benefit.

I don't like Obama's troop withdrawal plan, and I'm not gonna spill any lines like "We need to stay there until the job is done!" or anything like that. I just think we need to keep a strong presence in the middle east.
So does Obama. His plan calls for combat troops to pull out, but leave support personnel there. Anti-terrorism squads, trainers for the Iraqi police and other support personnel. And we we will still have bases in the region.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
XCell9200 said:
I'm well aware I'm going to get ripped to shreds in this forum for supporting the GOP candidate. Especially supporting him against obama, that borders on blasphemy at this point.
Not if you speak rationally. Don't spout bullshit and expect respect.

XCell9200 said:
Why? Well I don't want anything resembling socialized healthcare, simply because I won't use it and therefore don't want to pay the ridiculous amount it's going to cost. And please, no one tell me he's going to figure out a way to minimize the cost of it. Because its bull and everyone knows it. The upper tax bracket is paying 40% of their salary to the government. I mean, how much more does everyone really expect them to give?
Have you actually read Obama's healthcare plan, or have you just heard about it? Obama's healthcare plan only mandates that children are covered, and once they enter young adulthood, can stay on with their parents up to 25. No one is forcing anyone else to have healthcare, he is just making attempts at having it be more affordable so that if you want it you can get it.

Your line about taxes is misguided. Obama is proposing having those people who make over $250,000 pay more taxes, and those making less pay less. 95% of Americans make less than $250,000, so naturally a massive majority will see tax relief. Those currently making $250,000 or more are currently receiving tax breaks, and only need to pay taxes on portions of their salary instead of the whole thing. Taxing them makes sense and is more fair. How much money do you make?

XCell9200 said:
I don't like Obama's troop withdrawal plan, and I'm not gonna spill any lines like "We need to stay there until the job is done!" or anything like that. I just think we need to keep a strong presence in the middle east.
I got nothing here. That is your opinion and I can accept it.

XCell9200 said:
Anyway, I'm 20. I don't pretend to know everything about politics, and I don't hate Barack Obama. From what I've personally seen, I just think McCain is the better choice.
I don't think you've done enough research to make an informed decision.

TDG

Banned
XCell9200 said:
From what I've personally seen, I just think McCain is the better choice.
I honestly am not trying to flame you, I can see that you have issues you're voting on and such, but I have to say, if you're 20 and payed any attention at all, I'd think you would have seen how our country has go downhill under Bush. Now, considering that McCain is going to be (more or less) 4 more years of Bush, I have to seriously question what you've personally seen out of Bush that makes you want four more years of that. I mean, you yourself said that these are some of the hardest times in American history.

And if you buy into the "McCain experience" argument, I'd also encourage you to actually find out more about him. He may have been in Washington for a long time, but it's clear that he is a bit clueless about... a lot of things.

I encourage you to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWX5u69hmzY&eurl=http://talkingpointsmemo.com/, by the way. I think it's definitely something to consider.

Keylime

JayDubya said:
:lol wut You expect him to reduce taxes on anyone with the spending increases he wants?
...I thought you of all people would be more informed.

Unless you're implying that Obama is lying about everything he's proposing.

GhaleonEB

JayDubya said:
:lol wut You expect him to reduce taxes on anyone with the spending increases he wants?
Note the spending CUTS he has also proposed.

But to be fair, Obama has said he can't balance the budget in the first term. Healthcare, energy, infrastructure, declining real wages, education - there are too many neglected priorities. So he's chosen to push on those and work more slowly to balance the budget.

XCell9200 said:
I can't remember back in 2004, did they wait so long to choose running mates? I was thinking about it yesterday and damn, the election is in 3 months and they haven't announced their choice yet?

Anyway. McCain. I like the guy, I like his policies, I like the fact that he has so much experience. I don't think anyone knows enough about Obama for him to be elected leader of this country, it feels like he literally came out of nowhere.

In any case, either of them are better than Hillary. But, choosing McCain.

Edit: Also, I'm really starting to get tired of the fact that Obama is more of a celebrity than a candidate for presidency during one of the most difficult times in American history. People need to look past the youth and charm of the guy. If he wins the election I feel like a lot of it will be based solely in charisma, and that's just not the way to elect a leader.

This is a joke post right?

Kildace

RubxQub said:
Holy fuck...what the fucking hell is this ad even referencing? This shit infuriates me to no end.

People need to know that under Obama, their taxes will be LOWER than with McCain. Obama raises taxes on rich people.

The onus is on the Obama campaign to explain this to the people and to contrast the fact that Obama's the son of an immigrant who recently finished repaying his college loans while McCain is the son of a general, $500 pairs of shoes etc ..

This kid glove bullshit has to stop. It's been 2 weeks since Rep's are attacking Obama's character and his campaign have not put out a single effective ad rebutting the claim. It's not like it would be hard to make either : a few cuts of SNL and The Daily Show, some 24, pictures of McCain with his celeb friends and quotes from various Cindy interviews would do the job. It's not actually a smear job when all you do is quoting the candidate.

Amory

"Also, I'm really starting to get tired of the fact that Obama is more of a celebrity than a candidate for presidency during one of the most difficult times in American history. People need to look past the youth and charm of the guy. If he wins the election I feel like a lot of it will be based solely in charisma, and that's just not the way to elect a leader."

As far as that statement goes, I overgeneralized. I'm just saying that many young voters, especially, are extremely bitter about the Bush years and are seeing Obama as some sort of savior of the USA. I live on a college campus most of the year, and so many people are going crazy with hype when essentially they haven't looked at what they really want out of the election. If he's elected, he's got a tough road ahead of him. He's not going to single handedly pull the country out of the toilet over a few years. When you have rap songs sampling portions of a presidential candidate's speeches, it seems like the anticipation of something new and different may end up being better than the actual result.

GhaleonEB

Despite some reports claiming that Vice President Dick Cheney would NOT appear at the Republican convention, Cheney's office just confirmed that he WILL attend and will speak.

Said Cheney's spokeswoman, Megan Mitchell: "The Vice President looks forward to participating in the Republican National Convention and continuing to work for the election of Sen. McCain and other Republican candidates in the coming months."

Mitchell says details are still being worked out regarding which night Cheney will speak.
Best news of the day so far. More Cheney at the convention, the better.

And First Read tears apart McCain's new ad: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/08/1255356.aspx

XCell9200 said:
"Also, I'm really starting to get tired of the fact that Obama is more of a celebrity than a candidate for presidency during one of the most difficult times in American history. People need to look past the youth and charm of the guy. If he wins the election I feel like a lot of it will be based solely in charisma, and that's just not the way to elect a leader."

As far as that statement goes, I overgeneralized. I'm just saying that many young voters, especially, are extremely bitter about the Bush years and are seeing Obama as some sort of savior of the USA. I live on a college campus most of the year, and so many people are going crazy with hype when essentially they haven't looked at what they really want out of the election. If he's elected, he's got a tough road ahead of him. He's not going to single handedly pull the country out of the toilet over a few years. When you have rap songs sampling portions of a presidential candidate's speeches, it seems like the anticipation of something new and different may end up being better than the actual result.

How the hell does any of that relate to who you decide to vote for?

It's like not buying GTA games because they're too popular or something. Just because people like something and it has high expectations, doesn't mean it automatically will be bad!

Tamanon

Banned
Well duh, we have a government that means that politicians will never be able to do what they espouse completely. In that case, you go for the person that espouses values and beliefs closest to what you think. You're going to be disappointed, but that's normal for politics. You'll see as you go through more elections.

Mumei

XCell9200 said:

These topics have been going on since before the primary season had "officially" begun; it is unnecessary to point out the fact that there are some people who are voting for him for emotional and not rational reasons.

And, to be perfectly blunt, I don't think you have room to criticize them when you apparently have some misconceptions on exactly what his policies are.

TDG

Banned
maximum360 said:
This is a joke post right?
Hey now, he just disagrees with your stances he hasn't been acting like he's illiterate or anything.

XCell9200 said:
I don't doubt that the anticipation of Obama will end up being a lot better than the actual result. However, it's worth noting that there's a reason why people don't like Bush, and from what the candidates are saying, McCain seems like he's going to be a continuation of Bush, whereas it's fairly clear that Obama will take the country in a different direction.

the disgruntled gamer said:
I don't doubt that the anticipation of Obama will end up being a lot better than the actual result. However, it's worth noting that there's a reason why people don't like Bush, and from what the candidates are saying, McCain seems like he's going to be a continuation of Bush, whereas it's fairly clear that Obama will take the country in a different direction.

Remember, Bush's approval rating is at 29%. While that may seem low, it also means almost 1/3 of Americans think he's doing a good job. Try and wrap your head around that for a second.

McCain is using the tried and true GOP playbook, and so far it has worked pretty well. There's no need to steer clear of the muck when it works. How long that can sustain him though, there's the rub. Generally speaking when the v ote is "Person X" or "Not Person X", Person X usually wins (look at Bush in '04). McCain's strategy right now is promoting the fact he's NOT Barack Obama, even though he's oddly portraying him as a well-known, articulate, motivational guy.

honestly, I haven't really seen much evidence that McCain's ads are really "hurting" Obama. They "hurt" him if you follow politics on a day to day basis (like us on PoliGAF) and watch cable news pundits. But has there been some drastic change in polls over the past couple weeks? It goes up and down, sure, but I haven't seen anything that shows the race has changed completely.

Tracking Gallup and Rasmussen every single day is sort of a misleading way to approach this race, I think. Especially considering a lead of "only" 5 points in a popular vote may be pretty large when it comes to electoral votes.

Kildace

soul creator said:
honestly, I haven't really seen much evidence that McCain's ads are really "hurting" Obama. They "hurt" him if you follow politics on a day to day basis (like us on PoliGAF) and watch cable news pundits. But has there been some drastic change in polls over the past couple weeks? It goes up and down, sure, but I haven't seen anything that shows the race has changed completely.

Tracking Gallup and Rasmussen every single day is sort of a misleading way to approach this race, I think. Especially considering a lead of "only" 5 points in a popular vote may be pretty large when it comes to electoral votes.

It did not have a direct and substantive effect on Obama's poll numbers. It will however, if it's allowed to continue basically unchecked by Obama's campaign, start to define Obama the way Kerry was defined as a french, coward wind surfer and will chip away slowly at his popularity, especially with voters on the fence.

Kildace said:
It did not have a direct and substantive effect on Obama's poll numbers. It will however, if it's allowed to continue basically unchecked by Obama's campaign, start to define Obama the way Kerry was defined as a french, coward wind surfer and will chip away slowly at his popularity, especially with voters on the fence.

Obama's been defined as "weak elitist" for the past 7-8 months and his numbers haven't changed. Remember after the primary how he was sure to have so many issues with Clinton supporters and white working class voters and latinos and everyone else? Yeah, so much for that.

And it hasn't continued "unchecked". Obama responds to it all the time, and talks about McCain and Bush at almost every town hall. Does it get picked up and pushed by cable news pundits? Of course not, because they already have their pre-made "narrative".

I think the frustrating part for viewers is that a lot of the Obama campaign is "behind the scenes" grassroots stuff, that isn't pushed in national news. So there's this impression that he's falling behind, even though he's the only actually making a big effort talking directly to people, registering voters, etc. What's McCain's ground game looking like?

It's tempting to be fearful and think Obama is going into Kerry territory, but I think this race has a lot of different factors in play that doesn't make this comparable to 04 at all.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
XCell9200 said:
...like this.

Dude, what makes you think that those people going to see Obama don't know and like his polices?

What makes you so smart and good about understanding McCain's policies while others can't understand Obama's?

i always understood obama's healthcare plan as a pragmatic nod to both the difficulties in passing an all-encompassing universal healthcare plan given the current senate makeup and passing the media litmus test. he didn't have to say mandate and that pleased the media overlords. now if the democrats pick up the likely 5-7 senate seats on their radar, effectively ensuring them a filibuster-proof majority then i fully expect obama, if elected president, to support mandated universal healthcare.

60 votes isn't required in the senate. 56 and above is all that is necessary considering that the GOP is going to play a lot of defense in 2010 and they'll have some senator's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Keylime

Keylime

...and another fucking thing.

Why is it that the average American finds inability to be charming? Like Bush with his inability to speak fluent English, and now McCain with his inability to be socially relevant and stick to a single plan for any given issue.

Remember how the word "flip-flopper" completely wiped Kerry off the face of the planet? Why is this word not being used now against McCain? Sure Obama's flipped on a few things, but not NEARLY as much shit as McCain, not by a long shot.

How people can see this guy as competent is beyond me. He'll crash America into the ground like one of his 5 planes while he served.

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
No, I mean really interesting. I don't give a shit how the talking heads will frame the story, it won't affect the race.
Yeah, reading through the internal memos are going to be a hoot.

I note that article said Clinton's camp was freaking out, meaning it probably doesn't reflect well on them. Should be fun.

Keylime

Neither of you are worried about the ammunition this is going to give McCain?

GhaleonEB

RubxQub said:
Nope. He has plenty from the primary. I think it's going to reflect badly on Hillary and her campaign, but it's coming out during the Olympics. After that we're on to veeps and the conventions. It's going to be an interesting footnote, but I'm not worried about it.

I reserve the right to flip-flop if there's something really outrageous and/or hilarious in the emails.

TDG

Banned
RubxQub said:
You really think McCain is going to use the Clinton campaign's internal memos against Obama?

All it's going to do is provide some hilarious insight into what the hell was going on with that disaster of a campaign.

Keylime

Perhaps I'm looking too much into what could be in these, but I'm just imagining a campaign ad or talking points that just reference these things.

I'm assuming they probably had things in there that painted a fairly nasty picture of Obama.

We just saw one from McCain not too long ago saying "Paint him as a Job Destroyer" or some shit like that. I'm sure the Clinton camp had some crazy shit in their internal memos that will be nice fuel for the fire.

...but we'll see.

GhaleonEB said:

I note that article said Clinton's camp was freaking out, meaning it probably doesn't reflect well on them. Should be fun.
I'm excited now.:lol :D

Amory

mckmas8808 said:
Dude, what makes you think that those people going to see Obama don't know and like his polices?

What makes you so smart and good about understanding McCain's policies while others can't understand Obama's?

They probably do like his policies...and that's fine. I read The Audacity of Hope, and truthfully I like some of his policies too, especially when he says he wants to put more money into biological research, since it's the field I'm going into.

And I never said I was "so smart and good about understanding McCain's policies". Voting republican inherently means voting for certain statutes that they're known for, small government, lower taxes, etc. Obviously the people here spend way more time than I do researching policy in this election, I never denied that. I'm a republican voting republican, and I don't think that puts me in the minority as I'm sure there are plenty of democrats who would be voting democrat even if they knew little about policy specifics.

Bush made it really hard for republicans to bring new young voters into the party, and it doesn't help their case that their current opponent is young, well spoken, and charismatic, regardless of what his ideas are. It's easier for the young demographic, who typically have little experience in "the real world" helping them decide what it is that they're going to want when they get into the job market, to vote for the man that is the polar opposite of the man they've despised for 8 years. I don't see 70,000 people "selling out" a McCain appearance. That was my point. McCain and Bush aren't the same man. Republican policy has looked the same for a long time, Bush just did a shitty job of putting it into action.

Tamanon

Banned
2744511960_c8e81d67ee_o.jpg

I guess it's really beginning now.

Amory

thekad said:
^Um dude, McCain has voted on the side of Bush almost 100% of the time since last year. They're about the damn same.

Conservatives and republicans in general tend to side with each other...its the same on the left. McCain in charge and McCain supporting someone else in charge are two different scenarios. I'm not going to give up on the party just because one of their representatives did a bad job. If everyone was looking at it the way you are, only 30% of people would consider voting for McCain, Bush's approval rating.

GhaleonEB said:

I predict coarse language, bloated sense of entitlement and praising Republican tactics.

Come on, scan those babies!

Coming from an Independent, If the Iraq War never happened and McCain 2000 was running, I probably would've voted for McCain, or at least I'd have a harder time choosing who I wanted to vote for, unlike now where it's definately Obama:

“There’s one big difference between me and the others–I won’t take every last dime of the surplus and spend it on tax cuts that mostly benefit the wealthy.” [McCain campaign commercial, January 2000]

“I am disappointed that the Senate Finance Committee preferred instead to cut the top tax rate of 39.6% to 36%, thereby granting generous tax relief to the wealthiest individuals of our country at the expense of lower- and middle-income American taxpayers.” [McCain Senate floor statement, May 21, 2001]

“But when you look at the percentage of the tax cuts that–as the previous tax cuts–that go to the wealthiest Americans, you will find that the bulk of it, again, goes to wealthiest Americans.” [NBC’s “Today,” Jan. 7, 2003]

What happened to you McCain.

I don't remember exactly where it's from, but I've always liked the quote "if conservatives by definition hate government, then why does it surprise people that they do such a shitty job of governing?"

of course, conservative/liberal can be somewhat vague terms so this isn't necessarily every single individual, but when you frame things in a way where government by definition is always bad/evil, don't be surprised that the people who frame things that way bring about a government that's useless and wasteful.

Cyan

Banned
Voting republican inherently means voting for certain statutes that they're known for, small government, lower taxes, etc
Dude... where have you been the last eight years?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Coming from an Independent, If the Iraq War never happened and McCain 2000 was running, I probably would've voted for McCain, or at least I'd have a harder time choosing who I wanted to vote for, unlike now where it's definately Obama:
Likewise. I was pulling for McCain back in 2000, but ended up voting Gore when Bush beat him. Well, I liked Gore too, so I'm not sure I would've voted for McCain over him, but I would've had to think about it at least.

JayDubya said:

With the current GOPs record on spending should the issue of spending even be on the table if you're trying to discredit a dem?

thekad

Banned
XCell9200 said:
Conservatives and republicans in general tend to side with each other...its the same on the left. McCain in charge and McCain supporting someone else in charge are two different scenarios. I'm not going to give up on the party just because one of their representatives did a bad job. If everyone was looking at it the way you are, only 30% of people would consider voting for McCain, Bush's approval rating.
So then how is McCain (circa 2008) different than Bush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom