• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA blasts John McCain on the economy today in Raleigh, N.C.

capt.21d039f705994f80a571810bd5dcc20c.obama_2008_ncab101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., waves after getting off the plane at Raleigh-Durham International Airport in Raleigh, N.C. Monday, June 9, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.b2152beb6e2c401db51895313e2854e9.obama_2008_ncab105.jpg

North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley gives thumbs up to Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., before Obama speaks about the economy at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, N.C., Monday, June 9, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.a2651ac6fe6d4534975afe03cbb6da2a.obama_2008_ncab104.jpg

North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley gives thumbs up to Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., before Obama speaks about the economy at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, N.C. Monday, June 9, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.529c134aa51c48bca47ab4561dc936b7.obama_2008_n__carolina_ncab107.jpg

Sen. John Edwards, with his wife Elizabeth Edwards, left, is applauded by North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley, right, he's as the introduced by Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., not shown, as he speaks about the economy at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, N.C., Monday, June 9, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.678bb30429ac47f38fe7fdce6fd65e5b.obama_2008_ncab108.jpg

Former Sen. John Edwards, right, shakes hands before Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., not shown, speaks about the economy at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, N.C., Monday, June 9, 2008. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.9a436469792f47d3a42b252eda985eb3.obama_2008_ncjb101.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks during a rally at North Carolina State Fairgounds, Monday, June 9, 2008 in Raleigh, NC. (AP Photo/Jim R .Bounds)

capt.ff9a9b7d0d9346878c68f243d2b8ebca.obama_2008_ncab115.jpg

emocratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill. speaks about the economy, Monday, June 9, 2008, at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, N.C. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.195fafce7080411286dfeb6eaf7cf80d.obama_2008_ncab114.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., holds Eli Werness, 9-months, from Raleigh, as he shakes hands after his speech about the economy, Monday, June 9, 2008, at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, N.C. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

thekad

Banned
I asked a question, you ass. I didn't dispute anyone's "guide"

Define crazy shit
And I called you out on your blatant red herring. I know you're dense, but that should have been obvious enough.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
thekad said:
Although he did, in classic McCain fashion, throw Parsley and Hagee under the bus once he was done with them.

Something Obama would never do. Oh, wait.

Well if they jack up the prices more, then the profits would get taxed more also.

Of course a windfall profits tax would never pass congress with the extent of the oil lobby.

It is my understanding that the last time this was tried (under the Carter admin) it didn't work. This idea just seems like the kind of pandering politicians must do to win, but Obama supporters act like he never has done or will never do.

Al Sharpton has done and said far worse things than Jeremiah Wright :lol

I live in New York; I've experienced this man's many overthetop statements firsthand.

VanMardigan Obama didn't throw Jeremiah Wright nor his church under the bus.

He did what he had to do because a church doesn't deserve the type of harsh criticism that that Church has been getting over the course of this campaign.

Obama still spoke in very good terms about the Church and did so even in his speech announcing his leaving the church. Obama remained strong throughout and didn't completely disown Wright. He stated his disappointment with the statements and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

He even sent a letter to the Church notifying them of his decision and defended the church in questioning. That isn't at all on the same wavelength as a McCain-level throwing under the bus.

GhaleonEB

VanMardigan said:
Something Obama would never do. Oh, wait.
When there was intense pressure for Obama to distance himself from Wright when the story was first raging, he did not do so. He specifically refused to distance himself from a man who "was like family" to him. Instead he presented a nuanced, risky argument for condemning the specific remarks but not the man making them. He defended Wright's career and reputation. It was only when Wright came back for round 2, repeating and amplifying his previous comments, that Obama said enough is enough.

And Father Pfleger has been removed from his post by his Cardinal for the comments he made about Clinton. Are you saying the Cardinal threw him under the bus for political reasons?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
CowboyAstronaut said:
VanMardigan Obama didn't throw Jeremiah Wright nor his church under the bus.

Bullshit. Though it's nice of you to throw the church in there. What he did to Rev. Wright is the very definition of throwing someone under the bus. I'll be the first to agree that it was the right political move, but let's not pretend like it was any different from what McCain and other politicians have done to folks whom they viewed as friends but now are political liabilities.

And Father Pfleger has been removed from his post by his Cardinal. Are you saying the Cardinal threw him under the bus for political reasons?

Yes? There's church politics as well. As a former deacon, I should know.

VanMardigan said:
Bullshit. Though it's nice of you to throw the church in there. What he did to Rev. Wright is the very definition of throwing someone under the bus. I'll be the first to agree that it was the right political move, but let's not pretend like it was any different from what McCain and other politicians have done to folks whom they viewed as friends but now are political liabilities.

Yes? There's church politics as well. As a former deacon, I should know.

I will pretend that it was different because it was VASTLY different and Ghaleon touched on some of it.

Obama, even in the face of all the criticism, stood by Wright's record and what he has done.

Where was McCain's risky speech that could've seriously backfired in his face defending Hagee's record and what he stood for? There was none because he completely copped out the moment things looked politically inconvenient. Obama tried his best to work through the situation so when he eventually distanced himself from the church it was completely understandable. I don't consider that as a throwing under the bus.

Even the church and the new head pastor speaks in very good terms about Obama. I don't know if the same can be said of McCain because he really threw them under the bus.

Loving the new branding : Change that works for you.

Shows how fast Obama's team is to react and make something that works just as well as "change you can believe in" in such a fast time.

GhaleonEB said:
When there was intense pressure for Obama to distance himself from Wright when the story was first raging, he did not do so. He specifically refused to distance himself from a man who "was like family" to him. Instead he presented a nuanced, risky argument for condemning the specific remarks but not the man making them. He defended Wright's career and reputation. It was only when Wright came back for round 2, repeating and amplifying his previous comments, that Obama said enough is enough.

And Father Pfleger has been removed from his post by his Cardinal for the comments he made about Clinton. Are you saying the Cardinal threw him under the bus for political reasons?

Exactly. People are acting as if Obama didn't put himself on the line to defend Wright the first time around and it's just not true. He did everything he could to protect that man. Wright wasn't tossed under the bus; he dove headfirst.

WickedAngel said:
Exactly. People are acting as if Obama didn't put himself on the line to defend Wright the first time around and it's just not true. He did everything he could to protect that man. Wright wasn't tossed under the bus; he dove headfirst.

Exactly, and I think it speaks very positively to the type of person that Obama is. What the whole Jeremiah Wright controversy did was it made everyone realize and pay more attention to the fact that "Hey we are voting for a Black man here" and there is no doubt in my mind the Clinton campaign hoped for that very thing to play to their advantage, which I'm 100% sure it did in a number of the remaining states leading into Pennsylvania.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I loved it when he refused to denounce his church. "Denounce" being the catch-word metric to show how much the media can run your shit by making believe people still even use that word at all. Perhaps one day it'll be supplanted by forced genuflection just so everyone's clear.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
omgimaninja said:
Loving the new branding : Change that works for you.

Shows how fast Obama's team is to react and make something that works just as well as "change you can believe in" in such a fast time.

I liked "change you can believe in" better. Why did they change it? Was it because McCain ripped it off?

Change that works for you.....................nah, it just doesn't flow or sound as nice. imo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Star Power said:
Too black/polarizing. He's seen as a race-hustler by lots of people, the sort of old-school racial politics that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Same with Jesse Jackson.

Hey Star who is this dude in your avi? And why do you have him there?

Tamanon

Banned
They probably changed it so that it didn't evoke faith and hope as much instead invoking images of work and care. Plus, general election slogans are almost always different. Now it means McCain will have to rebrand everything again:p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tamanon said:
They probably changed it so that it didn't evoke faith and hope as much instead invoking images of work and care. Plus, general election slogans are almost always different. Now it means McCain will have to rebrand everything again:p

Well I still don't like it. Not nearly as nice as "change you can believe in". That had to be one of the top 5 political slogans of all time.

And as for McCain, that's easy:

A Leader that Works for You!!!

Cheebs

It is weird how fast time goes in politics, it already feels like its been ages since Obama actively campaigned against Hillary.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
A Blog You Can Believe Work In

A Leader You Can Believe Work In

Hmmmm.

I still think "Bringing Hot Water to Dehydrated Babies" would be the best campaign slogan ever.

theBishop

Banned
VanMardigan said:

You're completely ignoring his initial (historic in my opinion) speech in Philadelphia where he refused to disown Reverend Wright.

But Wright only got more obnoxious in the fallout of GodDamnAmericaGate and kinda threw it in Obama's face. It took some principle to not do the politically correct thing and disown him immediately.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
theBishop said:
You're completely ignoring his initial (historic in my opinion) speech in Philadelphia where he refused to disown Reverend Wright.

But Wright only got more obnoxious in the fallout of GodDamnAmericaGate and kinda threw it in Obama's face. It took some principle to not do the politically correct thing and disown him immediately.

No, I wasn't ignoring that at all. Rev. Wright heard the speech too, and didn't cover any new ground in the Q&A that got him thrown under the Obama bus. Obama was more pissed that Wright didn't keep his trap shut than anything else. It's not like Wright threw out new allegations. Heck, folks in this very group were praising his performance that day as defiant. That all changed once word got around that Obama was pissed and shortly after that when Obama officially denounced Wright.

theBishop

Banned
VanMardigan said:
No, I wasn't ignoring that at all. Rev. Wright heard the speech too, and didn't cover any new ground in the Q&A that got him thrown under the Obama bus. Obama was more pissed that Wright didn't keep his trap shut than anything else. It's not like Wright threw out new allegations. Heck, folks in this very group were praising his performance that day as defiant. That all changed once word got around that Obama was pissed and shortly after that when Obama officially denounced Wright.

Well, yeah. It doesn't make sense that you cut somebody off if they're still acting like an asshole after you stick up for them? Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. The foolma can't get fooled again. Remember that.

cjdunn

Whoa! To give detail on what Tamanon said:

Obama Partnering With Elizabeth Edwards On Health Care
Obama's speech in Raleigh launching his economy tour is underway, and towards the end, during a discussion of health care, he drops a surprise aside that wasn't in the speech's prepared remarks:

By the way, I'm going to be partnering with Elizabeth Edwards, we're going to be figuring all this out.
More on this when we can establish the details.

Late Update: The key political context here, of course, is that back in April, Elizabeth revealed that Obama's health care plan wasn't her favorite. Enlisting her as a public voice on health care could obviously help with the Obama camp's outreach to women and help win over skeptics in general.

Late Late Update: For an idea of just how effective Elizabeth Edwards might be as a surrogate on health care for Obama and against McCain, take a look at this take-down by Elizabeth of McCain's plan.

Anyone watching Wolf Blitzer right now? Obama's economic advisor is on, and he's talking about how fucked up the tax rates on capital gains (15%) are lower than the tax rates on wages (35%). If this was reversed, then middle income families would have a greater advantage to accumalating wealth.

GhaleonEB

VanMardigan said:
Obama defended Wright when he was being attacked through a series of clips from his 20 year career spliced together. Obama refused to denounce him based off that. Then Wright came out and essentially repeated everything himself. And so Obama responded.

You seem to discount just how incredibly risky it was for Obama to defend Wright in the first place. His polls were tanking, it was getting wall to wall TV coverage, and calls were made left and right for Obama to denounce, reject, etc. It was HUGE political risk. If he was just interested in politics, he would have thrown Wright under the bus immediately.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GhaleonEB said:
Obama defended Wright when he was being attacked through a series of clips from his 20 year career spliced together. Obama refused to denounce him based off that. Then Wright came out and essentially repeated everything himself. And so Obama responded.

Wright repeated everything himself? Then who the hell was the guy in the clips? :lol
Wright basically repeated what was said. Nothing new. And Obama had already addressed those things in his first speech. Now he expected Wright to be quiet, and that didn't happen.

But I digress, we are going in circles now.

Diablos

June 9, 2008
Barack Obama sets up internet 'war room' to fight slurs
Internet ‘war room’ will rebuff false rumours

Obama hopes an Internet ’war room’ will rebuff false rumours

Tim Reid in Washington

A crack team of cybernauts will form a rapid response internet “war room” to track and respond aggressively to online rumours that Barack Obama is unpatriotic and a Muslim.

As he gears up for his general election fight against John McCain, Mr Obama and his chief advisers are aware of the danger of such rumours, amid polling data showing that a significant number of Americans believe he is a Muslim or are suspicious about his background. Such doubts were a factor in his poor showing with white, blue-collar voters during his primary battle with Hillary Clinton.

In recent days Mr Obama has — unprompted — brought up the subject of the chain e-mails and blog sites making the false claims. Some state that he is a radical Muslim who was sworn in as a US senator on the Koran; others that he sympathises with Palestinian radicals. Many focus on his middle name of Hussein, which was taken from his Kenyan father.

Referring to the e-mails in a speech last week to AIPAC, the powerful Jewish lobby, Mr Obama said: “They are filled with tall tales and dire warnings about a certain candidate for president and all I want to say is, ‘Let me know if you see this guy named Barack Obama because he sounds pretty scary’.”

Jen Psaki, a spokeswomen for Mr Obama, told The Times that the internet team was still being finalised.

She added: “The only way to run a campaign is to respond immediately when inaccurate information is put out. The [emails] are saying he’s a Muslim. He’s not. He’s a Christian. He often brings up the e-mails that are out there and the smear campaign that’s been run against him on the internet. We definitely recognise that getting out the correct information about Senator Obama is to our advantage and to the voters’ advantage.”

The “war room” comes as the Obama campaign prepares a series of biographical speeches, television advertisements and campaign appearances to tell his life story, an attempt to make voters more familiar with him. Despite his long nomination fight against Mrs Clinton, his campaign aides concede that millions of Americans still feel that they do not really know him.

Mr Obama’s Kenyan father, who left the family when he was 2, was a Muslim, but not particularly religious. The Illinois senator lived in Indonesia from the age of 6 until 10 with his white, American mother and Indonesian stepfather, who was also a Muslim. Mr Obama has never been a Muslim, or worshipped at a mosque. He moved from being agnostic to finding Christ in his 20s, with the help of his former Chicago pastor: the Rev Jeremiah Wright, a figure whose incendiary sermons now haunt his candidacy and has increased suspicions among some voters about his patriotism.

A poll in mid-March found that 13 per cent of Americans think that Mr Obama is a Muslim — a 5 per cent increase since December 2007. Another found that 23 per cent of Democrats who hold negative views of him believe that he is a Muslim. The same survey showed that 61 per cent of voters view him as patriotic, compared with 76 per cent for Mrs Clinton and 90 per cent for Mr McCain.

In recent weeks Mr Obama has pinned an American flag badge to his suit lapel after being criticised by Republicans for not wearing one.

He locked horns with Mr McCain on Monday over the faltering economy, the number one issue with voters, as the Democrat started a 17-day economics tour with a speech in North Carolina lambasting the Republican over his support for the fiscal policies of President Bush.

The Arizona senator pre-empted his rival’s address by painting him as a liberal tax-and-spender.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4100170.ece

Obama excels at offense and defense. This is the kind of thing Democrats needed in 2004.

The fact that he has to now wear a flag pin makes my blood boil.

Skiptastic said:
If these maps are true and Michigan is really up for grabs, that almost guarantees a McCain-Romney ticket. Mitt's got family ties with his dad in Michigan, plus he's much better on the economic side than McCain is. Not that VP's matter that much, but it could be a situation like Johnson running with Kennedy to pull in Texas. Maybe...

That doesn't help McCain's kooky religious voter problem. They are not too found of Mormons.

VanMardigan said:
I think VM is being overall a little harsh on Obama's actions and motives, but the bolded part is true. Obama-GAF was initially loving Wright that day. And I still don't think Wright is much different than most "fiery"-styled preachers, white or black. Though, the "Whitey gave us AIDS" thing is a little out there, but not completely dismissible considering Tuskegee, etc.

Cheebs

the guys mentioning romney must not be from MI. Romney only BARELY won over mccain here in the primary, mostly cause he flooded the airwaves with commericals. I saw endless romney commericals and like zero for mccain. If his name was so well known how come he struggled to beat mccain here?

His dad was governer like 50 years ago. You have to be 80 to have been old enough to vote for George Romney back in the day in MI.

Diablos

Seriously though, getting on Obama's case over fucking flag pins? Is this how bad the Republicans are doing right now? Since when in this nation's history has it ever been important that the President wears a flag pin? WTF is wrong with this country? I want to see this flag pin trend die the second Obama's Presidency starts, should he be sworn in.

I'm glad I was in #ga or I would have been banned for making other comments.

Any sensible Democrat OR Republican should see the whole flag pin craze as a clear signal of this country's social and political decay.

harSon

Banned
ViperVisor said:
And she's a f-ing moron. She is like Karl Pilkington. Reads a headline of something or hears a talking point and if it fits her view she stops right there. That's all she needs.

She's hot but my compliments honestly stop there, you're right, she basically takes up popular talking points without any form of factual backing.

numble

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What do you guys think of this Obama shirt? It looks very light, and that's what I like:

http://www.zazzle.com/ismyhomeboy/product/235990229746308569

EDIT-Or this shirt:

http://store.barackobama.com/product_p/ts18090.htm
I would go with the barackobama.com shirt, just because you know the money will benefit the campaign. Urban Outfitters is making money selling Obama shirts, but the money they make will probably fund the McCain campaign.

Shopping in Urban makes you feel like you are somewhere radically Left-wing, an antidote to the corporate blandness of The Gap. But Hayne is a stanch conservative who donates money to Republican politicians, not least Rick Santorum, a now failed Senator whose views on homosexuality are both bizarre and old-fashioned.

Hayne doesn't give many interviews precisely because he's afraid that college slackers who get to know him will suddenly realise that buying his clothes is like giving cash to George Bush.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/c...=19&in_author_id=2266&position=moretopstories

Tamanon

Banned
adamsappel said:
I think VM is being overall a little harsh on Obama's actions and motives, but the bolded part is true. Obama-GAF was initially loving Wright that day. And I still don't think Wright is much different than most "fiery"-styled preachers, white or black. Though, the "Whitey gave us AIDS" thing is a little out there, but not completely dismissible considering Tuskegee, etc.

Actually it seems to me that a lot of GAF agreed with what Wright said, but also agreed that Obama needed to bounce him, because while a lot of us see no problem with fiery black preachers, that fabled white working class bloc seems to show fear.

AniHawk

Man, with Edwards and Easley (not Dean) in those pictures, and with some southern Democratic governors campaigning too, it's like Obama has a fucking army.

Tamanon

Banned
That's actually not Dean in the picture, although Easley does look like him. But he does have an army. This'll become more evident when more news on the Get Out the Vote registration drives come in, it's already starting out gangbusters in Louisiana.

Triumph

Banned
Tamanon said:
That's actually not Dean in the picture, although Easley does look like him. But he does have an army. This'll become more evident when more news on the Get Out the Vote registration drives come in, it's already starting out gangbusters in Louisiana.
Yeah, I heard somewhere yesterday that there are 600k unregistered black voters in GA. I said wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom