• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Hahahha.

Wired (via Ben Smith) has a great point about Obama's launch of the site:

By putting their own website out there front-and-center, and then getting everybody to link to it (starting with all the media covering the launch of the site), the result will be to drive fightthesmears.com towards the top of a Google search on, say, "obama muslim" or "michelle obama whitey". Ideally, if enough of the pro-Obama network links to fightthesmears.com, it'll drive the sites that peddle in the rumor-mongering, which are now the first results on said searches, off the top of the results list. Ideal long term result: any curious low-information voter who eventually bothers to google these pesky rumors will immediately be led to the debunking rather than the rumor.

My take: Did the Obama campaign create fightthesmears.com to game Google? If so, they're even more net-savvy than folks give them credit for.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0608/Fighting_smears_gaming_Google.html

By launching it in the media, buying google ad linking to it and working the netroots to like to the site, Obama might be able to re-direct search results to his site. Obama's team is good. McCain's guys struggle with the nuts and bolts of even running their site.

omgimaninja said:
Hope Obama gets the fake .org site taken down soon.
Yeah there are tiny disclaimers that it's not part of the Obama campaign but if you hover your mouse over the image at the bottom right, it still says PAID FOR BY OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT...

sue those fucks!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
NullPointer said:
That is pure wisdom. Its clarity, respect, and mindfulness like this that has real potential to bring people together.

I'm sending this to my pretty religious and conservative family - I think they'll appreciate it.

Most non religious Gaffers here should like and respect Obama's religion speech.

HeartAttackJones said:
The guy who registered fightthesmears.org left all his home info up. Whois if you feel like it.

I'm surprised that the Obama campaign didn't pick up the FightTheSmears.org domain name, but there you go. Now someone else has (it was registered just over two hours ago) and they're using it to spread even more ridiculous - and even more racist - smears about Obama. There's a quote from Osama bin Laden, the claim that Michelle Obama called white people "crackas", and the suggestion that Obama "won't pledge of allegience to anything but soultrain." (sic)

Even more surprising is the fact that the guy who registered fightthesmears.org didn't bother to hide his identifying information. Here's the Whois info from Network Solutions:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=fightthesmears.org

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Deus Ex Machina said:
What's with all the constant cuts in that video?

Makes me think that either Obama was falling over his words and they were cut out, or the audience responses and his subsequent pauses were removed.

Just makes the video seem a bit manufactured, but the message shown there is so fucking sweet.

GhaleonEB

President of Italy endorses McCain. Sort of.

"I suppose I could express my own personal preference for one of the candidates, the Republican candidate," [Italian President Silvio] Berlusconi said. "And this is for a very selfish reason, and that is that I would no longer be the oldest person at the upcoming G-8 because McCain is a month older than me."

Add one to the list of things McCain is older than. :lol

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0608/Berlusconis_endorsement.html

Deus Ex Machina said:

while I obviously appreciate his words (being a nonbeliever and all), I've always found it interesting how if one really thinks religion shouldn't be a primary influence on policy, and one readily acknowledges that Christians can't even agree on what Christianity is, and one acknowledges the largely out of date "rules" in God's word, and so on and so forth...

...at what point does Christianity ever stop being "Christianity"? Is it even possible? And if Jesus and god were so real and obvious that people felt compelled to worship them, wouldn't we want jesus and God to influence public policy? It seems weird that some people think their religion and divine being can have the most profound positive effect on people's lives...and then turn around and say it shouldn't be used as a primary reason for policy. If god is so great and awesome, wouldn't we want his advice when it comes to running the country?

And if Christianity is so open that wildly different interpretations of it can still fall under one banner, does that mean that I could call myself a Christian? Sure, I don't think there's literally some guy that created the universe and died for my sins, but I can get behind the metaphorical aspects of it, and the community-based reasons for the religion, and I think Jesus said some nice things. So am I a Christian now? This will be useful for me if I ever decide to go into politics. Christian atheists ftw?

Like I said, I'm obviously glad that a presidential candidate recognizes and respects the diversity of viewpoints on the whole religious issue, but it just seems weird that he almost has to discount large parts of his own religion and its history to do so, as if there's some subconscious notion that it isn't really real.
I'm not trying to make a "secret manchurian atheist candidate" argument. Honest!
This isn't an Obama thing necessarily, but just sort of reminds me of "liberal Christianity" in general.

I guess this is why some religions simultaneously fascinates and confuses the shit out of me, lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
RubxQub said:
Code:
Registrant Name:Kevin Martin
Registrant Street1:42 Kamper Ave
Registrant Street2:Apt 1
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Buffalo
Registrant State/Province:New York
Registrant Postal Code:14210
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.7168225654

Is this our guy?
yes sir. If this was the Gaming side, I'd say do your worst, GAF

but I know you guys won't do shit :lol

Dax01 said:
What about drowning?
Done!

matrix.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It'd be stupid to "go after him" anyway, since

1) Progressives have a long history of using parody websites. If you haven't heard of the Yes Men, then quite frankly I think you might be better off reading up about culture jamming as a movement before weighing in on this particular parody site.

In Canada, we also had a situation where a prominent Conservative politician who was particularly noted for his opposition to gay marriage did not own <hisname>.com, so a prominent gay Canadian comedian registered the domain name and forwarded it to an equal rights / marriage activism website.

2) There's an obvious disclaimer on the site. I know you guys think "it's only small!" but it's really quite obvious. The disclaimer also notes that there's a McCain version in the works, implying that this is not meant to be partisan on behalf of either side.

3) The whole site is a damn obvious joke. If you follow any of the links or actually read any of the text, you'd have to be ten steps dumber than a doorknob to fall for it. The site has a fucking rickroll on it. Stop and think about that.

This parody website will blow over much faster if you allow it the fifteen seconds of joking and don't flip your collective lids about it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Am I the only one that realizes that is a satire site, as it clearly labels it so on the bottom of the page?

Why are people getting riled up over this? GO PLAY MGS4

Tyrannical said:
The WWII internment of Japanese and Germans was to prevent sabotage by Axis sympathisers, and it was succesful. It was neccesary and I'm glad they did it.

Except that Americans of German decent were NOT interned like Americans of Japanese decent, demonstrating the racial, not security, motive of the policy. But history is for elitist libruls am i rite?

numble

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/dems_to_mccain_wont_you_join_o.php

Dems To McCain: Won't You Join Obama In Cracking Down On Foreign Lobbying?

Call it the Embarrass Rick Davis Act of 2008.

Rick Davis, of course, is John McCain's campaign manager, and has taken a hit for doing business with companies with ties to Iran. Now Barack Obama has signed on as a co-sponsor of a bill to subject American lobbyists like Davis to tighter disclosure requirements if they work on behalf of foreign entities.

During a conference call with reporters, Sen. Chuck Schumer insisted the bill wasn't primarily influenced by Davis, but instead by some lobbying activities by the Iraqi government that were discovered in recent weeks. However, he said, Davis would be affected by the bill.

Schumer invited McCain to sign on as a co-sponsor of the bill -- a pretty aggressive throwing down of the gauntlet, since it puts McCain in the tough spot of either signing on, and making life difficult for all the lobbyists on his campaign, or refusing, and ceding the reformer high ground to Obama.

No comment yet from the McCain camp.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nice. Keep throwing the gauntlets down and putting McCain on defense.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dan said:
Nice. Keep throwing the gauntlets down and putting McCain on defense.

That is all that this has been. Obama's team is throwing combos from one position and why McCain is defending one combo, Obama has moved to another. This has been a lesson in presidential politics being displayed. McCain is always on the defensive. The GOP is getting overwhelmed.

jamesinclair said:
Ron Paul has dropped out of the race!

"Paul has said he won't endorse Sen. John McCain, the likely GOP presidential nominee. Benton said that was unlikely to change."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080612/ap_on_el_pr/ron_paul

Aw. So does this mean no dual conventions in the twin cities?

Also, I didn't watch the program from beginning to end, but from what I did see, man, Rachel was on today and I mean on. Calling out these tools, left and right. Damn. Too bad MSNBC doesn't air this show several times a day like Hardball or Countdown, otherwise I would've recorded it. The new (as if this wasn't the prime directive from the beginning) "ad-hoc" agenda that seems to be emerging from the administration as to why we should stay in Iraq - to get oil - was called out for what it is by her - colonization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom