• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like Chris Matthews, he'd be a terrible choice. He is an awful interviewer, always talking over people and screaming and shit. Keith Olbermann would be excellent but he's too partisan.

PHOTOS: BARACK OBAMA visits the GM Flint Engine South plant in Flint, Michigan

capt.90c8c2f0282b41699136ec8c3025b256.obama_2008_miab129.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., shakes hands with workers at the GM Flint Engine South plant in Flint, Mich., Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.5250d014128048e9aef4503fc33d2cdf.obama_2008_miab130.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., shakes hands with workers at the GM Flint Engine South plant in Flint, Mich., Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.cfdc51f45bf94e2eb4b2da21ce77e090.obama_2008_miab128.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., laughs as he shakes hands with workers at the GM Flint Engine South plant in Flint, Mich., Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.926bc1733b404fb2a489f051f5b64b11.obama_2008_miab127.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., sings autograph as he shakes hands with workers at the GM Flint Engine South plant in Flint, Mich., Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

capt.c1680c2878904a85b1d4d4577ac0bd2b.obama_2008_miab124.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., laughs as he shakes hands with workers at the GM Flint Engine South plant in Flint, Mich., Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

GhaleonEB

Karma Kramer said:
I'd rather have Keith or Chris host personally, cause they are entertaining and provide good insight as well... and then have the Todd's etc of the media be guests or co-hosts or something.

Chuck Todd should just be MSNBC's numbers guy.
Chris is at his element in Hardball. Keith personifies the sensationalism of cable news and has no business going near Meet the Press. (Worst Person in the World, WTF.)

And Chuck Todd is NBC's Political Director. He didn't get that role by being good at math. (But it probably didn't hurt.)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
Greggory or Andrea Mitchell will get MTP I suspect. Todd is a math guy, not a interviewer.

Can you see Chuck Todd interviewing world leaders in Europe and stuff like Russert did?

Fuck yes, he would make those bitches cry.

Chuck Godd:So, you say that we should drill for oil in ANWR... WELL LOOK AT THIS CHART FULL OF NUMBERS.

Bush: Oh my god, what have I done.. Im sorry Chuck Todd, why did I ever doubt you.

Chuck Godd the white: NEVER DOUBT ME.

:kills Bush with lazer breath of awesome:

Who wouldn't watch that show?

Cheebs

StoOgE said:
Fuck yes, he would make those bitches cry.

Chuck Godd:So, you say that we should drill for oil in ANWR... WELL LOOK AT THIS CHART FULL OF NUMBERS.

Bush: Oh my god, what have I done.. Im sorry Chuck Todd, why did I ever doubt you.

Chuck Godd the white: NEVER DOUBT ME.

:kills Bush with lazer breath of awesome:

Who wouldn't watch that show?
He'd try interview Putin in Russia and only know how to ask him about his super delegate count.

Star Power said:
I hope it's not Brian Williams. That guy is so wooden.
Er...he already has the highest news position in NBC. MTP would be a downgrade from the anchor position he holds.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Chris is at his element in Hardball. Keith personifies the sensationalism of cable news and has no business going near Meet the Press. (Worst Person in the World, WTF.)

And Chuck Todd is NBC's Political Director. He didn't get that role by being good at math. (But it probably didn't hurt.)

That actually might lead to an advantage for Todd since he probably has a good web of connections to Washington sources.

GhaleonEB said:

Sorry bad phrasing... I didn't mean Chris and Keith should host MTP... just host in general. I was simply pointing out that Chuck Todd lacks the charisma of both Keith and Chris to provide interesting and entertaining interviews and dialogue.

I really don't think there is a replacement for Russert on MTP.

Cheebs said:
Former Clinton Loyalist Patti Solis Doyle has officially been hired by the Obama campaign as their Chief of Staff for potential VP candidates. Solis Doyale managed hillarys 00 and 06 senate campaigns and was the manager of hillarys president campaign from feb 07 through jan 08.

Cue the talking heads on CNN to speculate it means he'll pick Hillary because this....NOW!

pattisolisobama.jpg
Clinton Camp Statement on Solis Doyle Move to Obama Camp: "She is going to be an asset..."

Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee: “Patti will be an asset and good addition to the Obama campaign. After nearly two decades in political life, she brings with her the ability to tap an extensive network that will be a huge asset to Senator Obama. As Senator Clinton has said, we’re all going to do our part to help elect Senator Obama as the next President of the United States.”

http://thepage.time.com/clinton-camp-statement-on-solis-doyle-move-to-obama-camp/

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
That actually might lead to an advantage for Todd since he probably has a good web of connections to Washington sources.
His wife would have to quit her job though. But god please be him and not Greggory.

I would probably switch to that ABC dude who worked for bill if its greggory.

StoOgE

Cheebs said:
He'd try interview Putin in Russia and only know how to ask him about his super delegate count.

Not true at all. He could show Putin a pie chart proving that Chechnia (SP?) should be its own sovereign nation and that reverting to soviet tactics is wrong.

Putin would cry.

Then he would kill Putin with a death stare or some shit.

Look, I dunno, just dont question the God of numbers.

Cheebs

Mandark said:
I figured that the Obama camp was hiring Salis Doyle as an olive branch to the Clinton loyalists, but perhaps I may not be completely correct...
it is a fuck you purely because he picked a chief of staff for the vp. You only appoint a chief of staff for a VP if the VP is someone who doesn't have their own staff that is up to the snuff of a national election. Which isn't Hillary. For example Bush didnt pick a chief of staff for cheney but Bush Sr. did for Quayle.

Cheebs

The Lamonster said:
what is this of which you speak?
His wife works for Jim Webb. Chuck Todd brought it up at one point when he did a online chat and someone questioned him about it:
I think what my wife does has no effect on my work but the perception could be there so if I disclose, it shows I don't have anything to hide.

I don't think just being open about it will shut people up if he gets MTP though. ;)

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs is acting like there'll be some sort of negative campaigning against Meet The Press, like the Face The Nation crew will be holding stump events.:p

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
Cheebs is acting like there'll be some sort of negative campaigning against Meet The Press, like the Face The Nation crew will be holding stump events.:p
Nah, republicans will whine about it. It's easily fixed though.

It's just could Chuck Todd give a interview to Jim Webb when Jim Webb has given his family money? :lol

TDG

Banned
God, I still can't believe that there are actually people who want Edwards to be the VP. The man is not a winner, folks. He's been a loser in his presidential campaigns, and he was a horrendous running mate for Kerry, and he's had the same schtick since forever. Mills, Two Americas, Mills, Two Americas. God, get some new material.

Edwards being the democrat running mate again will be like a dog returning to its' own vomit.

StoOgE

Tamanon said:

The dude it the konex and olimario of poligaf combined. He's lovable, but mostly just for laughs.

Cheebs

Incognito said:
I'll say it again -- Scott Pelley needs to be the new host of MTP.
I am clueless on that guy, who is he?

StoOgE said:
The dude it the konex and olimario of poligaf combined. He's lovable, but mostly just for laughs.
Except I tend to predict things damn accurately so far. ;)

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
the disgruntled gamer said:
God, I still can't believe that there are actually people who want Edwards to be the VP. The man is not a winner, folks. He's been a loser in his presidential campaigns, and he was a horrendous running mate for Kerry, and he's had the same schtick since forever. Mills, Two Americas, Mills, Two Americas. God, get some new material.

Edwards being the democrat running mate again will be like a dog returning to its' own vomit.

You wanna fight? Let's go.

Generally speaking, when a candidate moves to the center during the GE, do they move back to the left (or right) when they get elected?1

Cheebs

Star Power said:
Generally speaking, when a candidate moves to the center during the GE, do they move back to the left (or right) when they get elected?1
Look at Bush. he said he was a uniter not a divider and went to the middle in the campaign and many thought bush and gore were exactly the same. then look at how he governed.

StoOgE

Star Power said:

hard to say, Clinton moved further to the middle after being elected, bush moved further to the right.

ALL politicians move to the middle, so there is no way to tell how they will govern based on that.

Tamanon

Banned
Star Power said:

Depends on the candidate, Clinton remained pretty centrist, Bush went waaaaay right afterwards. But generally I'd say they go back towards their natural leanings. Keep in mind that a lot of issues don't have a left or a right view. It's just about what issues are priorities.

Cheebs

StoOgE said:
hard to say, Clinton moved further to the middle after being elected, bush moved further to the right.
Not really. He went left-leaning in his first 2 years but was forced to the middle due to the 1994 blowout. Obama wont have that congress problem.

Karma Kramer said:
I really don't understand all the Chuck Todd love here? I only watch MSNBC usually... and I have never found him to be that remarkable. He's good... but just not as good as people here make him out to be.

Chuck Todd is probably the closest to Russert when it comes to seeming not partisan.

sangreal

Cheebs said:
it is a fuck you purely because he picked a chief of staff for the vp. You only appoint a chief of staff for a VP if the VP is someone who doesn't have their own staff that is up to the snuff of a national election. Which isn't Hillary. For example Bush didnt pick a chief of staff for cheney but Bush Sr. did for Quayle.

Kerry did

Cheebs

sangreal said:
Kerry did
Edwards is not Clinton. ;) Clinton would be more akin to Cheney in terms of running their own office. If Obama is having such hands on managing of the vp that assures it wont be ol' hillary

sangreal

I'm not one for polls within the MoE, polls from Rasmussen, or polls this far from an election but what the hell:
The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Virginia voters finds Obama with a statistically insignificant one-percentage point lead over McCain, 45% to 44%. Five percent (5%) favor a third-party candidate, and 7% are undecided. Last month, with Hillary Clinton still in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, McCain led Obama 47% to 44%. (See Video)
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub.../election_2008_virginia_presidential_election

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Star Power said:

Rule of thumb: Politicians will be more aggressive in shaping policy when they have high approval ratings or their policies are favored by the public.

Defining stuff as centrist vs. right/left tends to confuse the issue.

People use Bush as an example of someone who governed differently from how he ran, but look at the domestic issues he stressed in his campaign: test-oriented education reform, Social Security privatization, big tax cuts, and a Medicare drug benefit plan.

That pretty well describes his major domestic policy initiatives as president (plus massive corporate giveaways at every turn, but you know).

StoOgE said:

ALL politicians move to the middle, so there is no way to tell how they will govern based on that.

Remember what party controls Congress makes a big difference as well. Bush had a Republican controlled congress so he could go far right when he was in office. Whereas Clinton had to deal with an opposition Congress, so he had to move to the center a bit order to get anything done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom