• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Read some of the posts on intrade forums and no one knows what's going on.

Supposedly someone has set up an automated buyer for Romney shares at a certain price point so whenever people buy Obama shares and drive Romney down it swoops in and buys Romney shares again.

Jesus Christ, if this is true I need to get money in ASAP somehow.

surveyusa O+3 in ohio

So what does everyone think about the theory of the south skewing national polls? I don't want to jump on it cuz that was something i pushed during 2010 but romney's margins inthe safe states are pretty ridiculous.

And then . . .

It really depends on which states are included in the South, but someone on DailyKos had this chart:

UT - 06/15 - 06/21 68 26 Romney +42
McCain +28

ID - 10/08 - 10/10 63 27 Romney +36
McCain +25

OK - 07/26 - 08/14 58 29 Romney +29
McCain +31

ND - 10/12 - 10/15 57 32 Romney +25
McCain +9

LA - 10/02 - 10/04 59 36 Romney +23
McCain +19

WV - 09/30 - 10/02 54 33 Romney +21
McCain +13

AR - 09/17 - 09/17 56 35 Romney +21
McCain +20

TX - 09/10 - 09/26 58 39 Romney +19
McCain +12

MO - 10/12 - 10/13 55 41 Romney +14
McCain +0.1

Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana are the only states where Romney's not outpacing McCain by a significant margin.

I think you may have answered your own question. Obama is clearly going to win NY, CA, MA, etc. but not by margins like those.

RDreamer

This to add to my diatribe about southerners migrating north to bitch about us. I've known my share of rednecks from Wisconsin as well.

The only problem with this is that my dad didn't migrate north. We have German heritage and have pretty well always lived in Wisconsin.

RDreamer

Supposedly someone has set up an automated buyer for Romney shares at a certain price point so whenever people buy Obama shares and drive Romney down it swoops in and buys Romney shares again.

lol wtf

It'd be awesome if it was Mitt.

Ahhh, I'm sure you and your oil prices/election connection will make out like a bandit.

Oil is under 90, its smooth sailing.

National gas prices are down 10 cents in 7 days.

Down 20 cents in California in 7 days.

Obama hit his gas price low button and so theres no going back....

The national average is also plummeting. Tuesday's price of $3.65 was down a dime from a week ago, the largest seven-day decline since May 2011 and one of the largest since the recession hit in 2008.

http://www.mercurynews.com/traffic/ci_21838669/california-gas-prices-plunging

......except for this little snag.

For the week that ended Oct. 8, when the average price for a gallon of gasoline in California hit a record high of $4.67, the portion of the retail price going to refiners, or margin, jumped to $1.22 a gallon. That was up 75% from the previous week. And it was nearly triple the average margin of 42 cents a gallon this year, according to California Energy Commission data.

Shielded from outside competition, these refiners benefit from keeping supplies tight. Even as gasoline consumption has declined in California in recent years because of high unemployment and increased vehicle fuel efficiency, refiners have been able to keep prices about 35 cents a gallon higher than the rest of the country. At the same time, the number of refineries operating in California has declined to just 14 today from 27 in the early 1980s.

Most recently, BP in August agreed to sell its 265,000 barrel-a-day Carson refinery, along with the Arco brand, to Tesoro for $2.5 billion. If the transaction is approved by regulators, just two companies — Tesoro and Chevron — will control more than half the state's gasoline refining capacity.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/22/business/la-fi-california-gas-prices-20121022

Remember enron?

Anyone who says these big oil companies cannot and do not influence, nay, control elections is in denial.

One "unscheduled maintenance" is all they need.

Just as Governor Davis

Canuck76

Banned

What the hell is this?

I feel like I'm reading the script for Johnny Mnemonic 2 or some crap.

Seriously, hahaha this intrade manipulation stuff is bizarre

HylianTom

Banned
Of course it's not. However I still wouldn't be comfortable with an Obama victory where he loses the popular vote but wins Ohio. I am a strong proponent of doing away with the electoral college and I won't suddenly defend the system just because my guy came out ahead in it.

I'm going to laugh and dance and rub it in some faces.

Romney and the Republicans knew the rules of the game when this contest began. If they lose, it's because they didn't play the game as well as Obama and the Democrats did.

If these regional margin differentials really do come true on November 6th, I'm also going to take such a victory as the rest of the country telling the South:
"fuck you. You've made enough boneheaded decisions. This time, we're dragging you kicking and screaming into the future.. whether you like it or not."

AniHawk

Of course it's not. However I still wouldn't be comfortable with an Obama victory where he loses the popular vote but wins Ohio. I am a strong proponent of doing away with the electoral college and I won't suddenly defend the system just because my guy came out ahead in it.

i don't want it to happen because i'd be concerned for his personal safety. there are already a ton of morons who don't think he's a legitimate president.

Trurl

Banned
Rich states paying more than poor states?
OH THE HORROR!

When the number is positive - that's the payout for a 100 bid.
When the number is negative - that's how much you need to bet to win a 100.
Why would you take a bet that pays out less than you paid in?

And then . . .

I think you may have answered your own question. Obama is clearly going to win NY, CA, MA, etc. but not by margins like those.
Right, I'm just hesitant to buy into it because the same thing happened in 2010 and Democrats were still crushed. (Though in the House, they still hold a majority of seats in the other regions, but not like the Republican dominance in the South)

The only problem with this is that my dad didn't migrate north. We have German heritage and have pretty well always lived in Wisconsin.
Right, just making a point about how there are plenty of Wisconsinites who do the same thing (move to MN and try to act cool about living in the Who Cares, WI with a graduating class of 26).

I'm going to laugh and dance and rub it in some faces.

Romney and the Republicans knew the rules of the game when this contest began. If they lose, it's because they didn't play the game as well as Obama and the Democrats did.

If these regional margin differentials really do come true on November 6th, I'm also going to take such a victory as the rest of the country telling the South:
"fuck you. You've made enough boneheaded decisions. This time, we're dragging you kicking and screaming into the future.. whether you like it or not."

i don't want it to happen because i'd be concerned for his personal safety. there are already a ton of morons who don't think he's a legitimate president.
Ani said it. I'm not in the mood for a civil war

I'm also just not the kind of person who bitches about Gore "losing" but would then turn around and rub it in peoples' faces. The most I could do is tell right-wingers "well if you think Obama's win was illegitimate, you have to admit that Bush was too" and they probably would because the meme about Bush not being a real conservative already started building after the election so who cares.

In short I don't want to be in the position of admitting Obama's win was bullshit - because that is genuinely how I would feel. I feel in this country whoever gets more votes should win the election.

RDreamer

I'm not concerned over any civil war or that crap. I'd just rather not have any piece of the republican worldview confirmed at this point, and Obama losing the popular vote would do just that.

Chichikov

Why would you take a bet that pays out less than you paid in?
Because he's favorite.
It's simple odds really.
If something has 90% chance of happening, paying 100% will statistically get you broke.
On average, for every $100 bet, you'll have to pay $180, you're $80 in the hole.
But if you only pay 10% (i.e. 110 pay for a 100 bet) you statistically pay $99 for every $100, that plus the vig, MAKE IT RAIN MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: or you really just meant to ask if that's on top of your bet.
Yes, it is.
(thanks Tamanon).

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Some really rich guy is ginning up Intrade.

Purpose of course is to cause the same panic that you are seeing on these forums here. It's a smart strategy.

Problem with intrade is a really big purchase can cause a huge fluctuation for a day or two. Its great for people looking for profits though. Intrade is not an efficient market at all. GAF should do an algorithmic trading scheme and take their money.

Trurl

Banned
Luckily Hylian Tom wanting a split has no effect on the likelihood of it happening. I just hope that he doesn't get hurt after acting snooty to crazily pissed off right wingers.

HylianTom

Banned
Ani said it. I'm not in the mood for a civil war

Hmm. Nor am I.

Then again, I'm convinced that he'll never be "legitimate" in their eyes. He could win with another 360EVs and they'll just say he cheated.

And just wait until they realize that they're demographically screwed. They already carry this crazy "the White House is ours - how dare you have the gall to challenge us for it!" stance..

Just saw your edit..
again: not bullshit. Both sides knew the terms of the game. If Obama gets to 270, too bad, so sad.
also: I like to differentiate between a "clean split" (1888, maybe this year?) and a "dirty split" (2000, 1876)

(and for all my bravado here, I'm usually not very loud on this. I'm more of the smirk-and-smile knowingly type.)

apana

Electoral college victory would not be a big deal. Sure some conservatives would complain but Democrats can call their bluff on it. Things mostly calm down post election, the reason Bush vs. Gore was so heated was because of recounts and contesting ballots.

Just saw your edit..
again: not bullshit. Both sides knew the terms of the game. If Obama gets to 270, too bad, so sad.
also: I like to differentiate between a "clean split" (1888, maybe this year?) and a "dirty split" (2000, 1876)

(and for all my bravado here, I'm usually not very loud on this. I'm more of the smirk-and-smile knowingly type.)
You're right that it would be fair within the context of the game - I just don't think that's the game we should be playing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Electoral college victory would not be a big deal. Sure some conservatives would complain but Democrats can call their bluff on it. Things mostly calm down post election, the reason Bush vs. Gore was so heated was because of recounts and contesting ballots.

I'm one of the few fans of the electoral college around here. Wyoming's 1 vote carries a hell of a lot more weight than their 500k population.

The only reason I would dread an Obama EC victory/pv loss would be his safety. Most of the people in the south are too big of pussies to actually do anything, but there are some legitimately crazy people who see themselves as doing God's work

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
To the handful of Democrats living there however, their vote means nothing.

True. But if a president could win with only a few states due to population, I don't think that's entirely a decent alternative.

Look, I believe that the electoral college has it's issues, but I'm also not a fan of the popular vote. I think that there has to be a good middle ground here.

This. I'm not too concerned for his safety considering the Secret Service, but I do think a popular vote loss/EV win could lead to violence. Remember, there are plenty of congressmen and senators who don't have any protection.

No one should be rooting for a repeat of 2000, even if the EV results are more definitive/clear (say, Obama winning by Ohio and Colorado's electoral votes) than Bush's. It would harm the country and people would get hurt. We've seen republicans attempt to tear Obama down for four years, even if doing so hurt the country economically or in terms of general partisanship. They don't give a shit about anything but winning and consolidating power.

I think there will be a large, loud, and very ugly reaction regardless of how Obama wins - whether it be a small victory or large. The right has convinced themselves for years that Obama is the worst president ever, and clearly voters would cast him out. What will they do when there are no longer any electoral means of getting rid of him? I'm going to have some fun watching Fox if Obama wins, and seeing various twitter/facebook meltdowns, but that's as far as I'll go. There are a lot of people on the far right who are well beyond any logical level of reality, and they will not be happy as they watch Fox harp on Gallup polls showing Romney ahead, but Obama still winning.

Forever

Banned
The only reason I would dread an Obama EC victory/pv loss would be his safety. Most of the people in the south are too big of pussies to actually do anything, but there are some legitimately crazy people who see themselves as doing God's work

Secret Service don't play.

Trurl

Banned
True. But if a president could win with only a few states due to population, I don't think that's entirely a decent alternative.

Look, I believe that the electoral college has it's issues, but I'm also not a fan of the popular vote. I think that there has to be a good middle ground here.

Small states already have a hugely outsized importance due to the Senate. Due to the difficulty of distributing 435 Rep seats evenly, they even have an outsized presence in the lower house. I don't like saying this, but fuck'm.

AniHawk

pretty much this. just look at any time obama gets tough and they play the victim card. you would have to look out for the few crazies out there who will go to a place they won't come back from.

The idea is that there would be merit in a Democrat visiting a red state and vice-versa if every vote counted the same as anywhere else, regardless of the state.

In the South in particular there are many hugely Democratic cities (New Orleans for example) who might have muted turnout because they can't outvote the rest of the state.

And frankly I can't conceive of a compromise between the EC and popular vote that would actually make sense.

This. I'm not too concerned for his safety considering the Secret Service, but I do think a popular vote loss/EV win could lead to violence. Remember, there are plenty of congressmen and senators who don't have any protection.

No one should be rooting for a repeat of 2000, even if the EV results are more definitive/clear (say, Obama winning by Ohio and Colorado's electoral votes) than Bush's. It would harm the country and people would get hurt. We've seen republicans attempt to tear Obama down for four years, even if doing so hurt the country economically or in terms of general partisanship. They don't give a shit about anything but winning and consolidating power.

I think there will be a large, loud, and very ugly reaction regardless of how Obama wins - whether it be a small victory or large. The right has convinced themselves for years that Obama is the worst president ever, and clearly voters would cast him out. What will they do when there are no longer any electoral means of getting rid of him? I'm going to have some fun watching Fox if Obama wins, and seeing various twitter/facebook meltdowns, but that's as far as I'll go. There are a lot of people on the far right who are well beyond any logical level of reality, and they will not be happy as they watch Fox harp on Gallup polls showing Romney ahead, but Obama still winning.
PD in here with Tao levels of wisdom and rationality. Guys the last thing we need right now is any more ammunition (figuratively and literally) for right-wingers to use against Obama's presidency.

It doesn't stop at Obama either, look at Gabby Giffords.

Trurl

Banned
A part of me would like to get rid of the Senate, remake the President as a purely ceremonial role, and have the Speaker of the House be our leader.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Small states already have a hugely outsized importance due to the Senate. Due to the difficulty of distributing 435 Rep seats evenly, they even have an outsized presence in the lower house. I don't like saying this, but fuck'm.

So christian of you :p

HylianTom

Banned
I do like one thing about the idea of a national popular vote campaign:
as a technique, a smart candidate could decide to visit each state at least once with the theme "YOU COUNT."

It would make for fantastic political spectacle.

I like the electoral college.
I like they gamey-ness of it.

Kinda like how I get restartitis with my RPG characters, always tweaking starting stats and skills. Makes sense for my personality, I guess.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Part of the problem is that the major cities are going to become the main campaign grounds. I mean shoot, if you get out the vote in our top 10 most populous cities how close does that get you to 51%? From there you win some suburbs and you're probably done. Apparently over 3/4 of the countries live in the cities or suburbs, no one is ever going to even think about rural towns ever again if we go to the popular vote. They won't need too.

I do like one thing about the idea of a national popular vote campaign:
as a technique, a smart candidate could decide to visit each state at least once with the theme "YOU COUNT."

It would make for fantastic political spectacle.

and it mean nothing because the populated areas would be the only ones that the candidates visited. There would be no trips to small town america.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom