• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Obama canceling all events for today and tomorrow including his 3 state tour with bill Clinton.

Romney will be campaigning each day as nor al (3 rallies in Ohio today)

If Romney can campaign why can't Obama?

It would be MUCH worse for his campaign if he was actually campaigning instead of being on duty. The GOP would criticize him instantly and I don't think it would sit well with the general public.

Who from polligaf is active in politics or related fields? Anyone willing to share some stories on how they got active and perhaps some campaign stories?

Edit: Changed my avatar for the occasion. Let's look presidential, men.

LosDaddie

Banned
JWVb7.jpg

Early voted today at 7am here in CEntral FL.

Let's get it done, GAF.

SmokeMaxX

Let's get it done, GAF.

Awesome. I hope I get a sticker when I vote. I think I'll be early voting on Friday. It'll be in Arkansas, so it'll be pointless, but maybe I can +1 legalizing marijuana (not that I care, but it seems everyone else does).

Who from polligaf is active in politics or related fields? Anyone willing to share some stories on how they got active and perhaps some campaign stories?

I'm very active in the Green Party here in Germany, I can and would be happy to write more, but don't think it's much point in this thread... It would just go by unnoticed or totally derail the discussion at hand.

syllogism

The GWU poll was unexpected. WTF was Brit Hume talking about? He is getting absolutely shat on over at twitter
Supposedly about this "projection" made by, presumably, the republican pollster who conducted the poll together with a democratic pollster

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/new-poll-projects-romney-52-obama-47_658066.html

The fact it isn't referenced anywhere on politico or in the public data, or even on the website of the pollster, makes it clear it's nothing more than wishful thinking

Tim-E

Are people seriously complaining that the President of the United States is not campaigning when he actually has a job to do? A late or inactive federal government that simply allows varying state and local agencies just to do what they want without any sort of cohesion in leadership can make a natural disaster's impact far worse. The President has a lot of power to mobilize federal forces during disasters and it's far more important that he do this job than just say "lol, gotta get re-elected" and just let things happen. A lot of people have complained that he is constantly in re-election mode and has ignored governing as a result, and now that he is focusing on governing, people are complaining that he isn't campaigning. I know you guys want him to win, but I think there's a severe misconception here as to the responsibilities the President has during these events. It's important that he stay on top of the situation as things happen so he can allocate resources as needed as fast as possible.

Cloudy

Banned
Supposedly about this "projection" made by, presumably, the republican pollster who conducted the poll together with a democratic pollster

Right wingers are pretty hopeful. Here is where they got it from..

http://www.swoknews.com/news-top/local/item/2286-pollster-from-here-sees-romney-surge

The presidential race is incredibly tight, a Republican pollster with ties to Lawton says, although a substantial Mitt Romney win isn't out of the question.
Ed Goeas said polls are trending toward Romney and there are three likely scenarios: a slim Romney win, a narrow victory by President Barack Obama, or a Romney win by four to five points. If he had to pick one of them, Goeas said, the last is the most likely.

I also love how Politico has disappeared the poll from their homepage and it's not even 9am yet lol

It's far better for his campaign that he's putting his attention on the storm than on rallying and public speaking. With any comparisons to Katrina and other natural disaster mishandlings that could come up, it helps to remind people that he's actually pretty good at this stuff.

Also, this is more important than campaigning. The administration will save lives by being as active as possible at this time.

3rdman

It's just another variable. This COULD mean that Romney can now attack Obama and Obama can't really respond because a natural disaster is happening. However, that's not what's going to happen since Sandy will take over the entire news cycle. Now to see how it affects turnout... Good thing Obama already banked in several thousands of voters in each state.

If anything, this will be a plus for Obama...As NPR stated, he is doing his job and has a chance to look "Presidential". Romney (because of the narrow-mindedness of the media) will effectively be taken off the lead story for the next couple of days at least as they cover the storm.

At worst, this storm would simply "suspend" the campaigns (in the media) for a few days but ultimately, its Obama that would probably benefit most (unless he managed to put an equestrian fuck-tard to run FEMA).

I'm very active in the Green Party here in Germany, I can and would be happy to write more, but don't think it's much point in this thread... It would just go by unnoticed or totally derail the discussion at hand.
Perhaps that's true. Thought it'd be cool to hear stories from the campaign trail so we have an idea what's going on on the ground of these campaigns though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Let's get it done, GAF.
Come on Florida.

My dad who is probably the most active volunteer for the campaign I've ever met, just will not give up hope for the state. We're in South Florida and it's easy to find supporters down here. More than anything I just hope the man is okay if it goes Romney.

SmokeMaxX

Come on Florida.

My dad who is probably the most active volunteer for the campaign I've ever met, just will not give up hope for the state. We're in South Florida and it's easy to find supporters down here. More than anything I just hope the man is okay if it goes Romney.

He'll probably be okay when he sees the 270+ next to Obama's name. Have him watch Fox News that night if you really want him to be happy.

LosDaddie

Banned
Come on Florida.

FL is going red this time. I'm just hoping Nelson keeps his Senate seat

Cheebo

Banned
It pisses me off no one in the media is getting on the Romney campaigns case for campaigning full steam will the Obama campaign shuts down during Sandy.

Averon

Are people seriously complaining that the President of the United States is not campaigning when he actually has a job to do? A late or inactive federal government that simply allows varying state and local agencies just to do what they want without any sort of cohesion in leadership can make a natural disaster's impact far worse. The President has a lot of power to mobilize federal forces during disasters and it's far more important that he do this job than just say "lol, gotta get re-elected" and just let things happen. A lot of people have complained that he is constantly in re-election mode and has ignored governing as a result, and now that he is focusing on governing, people are complaining that he isn't campaigning. I know you guys want him to win, but I think there's a severe misconception here as to the responsibilities the President has during these events. It's important that he stay on top of the situation as things happen so he can allocate resources as needed as fast as possible.

Exactly.

Obama campaigning while a huge, potentially deadly hurricane sweeping the east coast will look very, very bad. Especially when it's a week away from the election. The media and the GOP can easily say that Obama cares more about getting re-elected than protecting and caring about Americans' well-begin. Obama has strong surrogates to campaign on his behalf. A few stump speeches simply isn't worth the great risk of the severe political backlash he'd face for ignoring Sandy for campaigning.

Tim-E

It pisses me off no one in the media is getting on the Romney campaigns case for campaigning full steam will the Obama campaign shuts down during Sandy.

What else is Romney supposed to do? "Play fair" because Obama is spending less time campaigning? It's not like Romney would accomplish anything by suspending his campaign. He can't do anything.

Cheebo

Banned
What else is Romney supposed to do? "Play fair" because Obama is spending less time campaigning? It's not like Romney would accomplish anything by suspending his campaign. He can't do anything.

It looks bad for him to be out their mocking Obama campaigning as if nothing bad is going on. Or at least it should. But no one seems to care in the media.

Tim-E

It looks bad for him to be out their mocking Obama campaigning as if nothing bad is going on. Or at least it should. But no one seems to care in the media.

As much as I want Romney to lose, it just doesn't make sense for him to stop campaigning just because the President has to. Romney's job right now is to win this election, whether we like it or not.

JCizzle

To be honest, I was just going to write a post saying that POTUS SHOULD suspend his campaign indefinitely, and he should also immediately cut all negative ads from his rotation in the effected areas. Nobody wants to see either guy running around during an national emergency bashing the other guy or campaigning - it's horrible, horrible optics just like when Obama/McCain suspended their campaigns in 2008. I think campaigning during, and in the immediate aftermath, of this hurricane will do far more damage than good.

If Romney is continuing to campaign, then POTUS should have his top surrogates mocking him for it relentlessly. Not being POTUS didn't stop him from getting involved in the economic crisis in 08.

Tim-E

To be honest, I was just going to write a post saying that he SHOULD suspend his campaign indefinitely, and he should also immediately cut all negative ads from his rotation in the effected areas. Nobody wants to see either guy running around during an national emergency bashing the other guy or campaigning - it's horrible, horrible optics just like when Obama/McCain suspended their campaigns in 2008. I think campaigning during, and in the immediate aftermath, of this hurricane will do far more damage than good.

As I've said, it's not Romney's job to "play nice" as he has an election to win, but I think in terms of "optics" it simply looks better for the President to be on the news actually being President as opposed to campaigning looks MUCH better than having the nightly news show another image of a campaign event.

On the flip side, most national media is focusing almost exclusively on this storm and Romney holding rally #45767 doesn't fit into those cards. Meanwhile, Obama actually being President and giving updates on the situation WILL get airplay during this event.

chuck todd spending 10 minutes on that i-4 corridor poll and treating it as legitimate... hilarious

Honestly, a poll like that could be really usefull, if it's taken in context with that region and how each party needs to do to win. I mean, if Obama's behind 5 in Romney land, things are going great, but if it's Obama land, Obama's in trouble.

Contextless, that poll is beyond pointless though.

So I've been green party member for 8-9 years now.
when I was 17 I decided I should become politically involved, and it was never a question as to what party would be the one, not once did I stop and think about any of the alternatives it was just blatently obvious to me that the green party was the only party I could possibly join.
Not really sure why that was, neither of my parents are in any form politcally involved, interested a little sure, just like a lot of people but they never considered becoming active.

so anyway I started of in the green youth (youth wing of the green party) did a a few years here and there depending on where I lived at the time.
then when I moved to my current location (two years ago) enough of the youth time for the old folks.

and since then I have been very active in local politics I in various political comities in my town (pop 200k).
and am off course also involved in all manner of elections.
The last elections for me where this summer for the regional parliament (where we are now in a coalition with the social democrats)

about the campaign trail, its terribly boring.
most of it is trying to give out flyers and talk to people in town.
most are not interested in talking or receiving any information.
and you always get a truckload of weird and wonderful people who want to talk to you, its usually just complaining about their multitude of problems... and blaming everyone but themselves for their misery.

Tim-E

Posted on Political Wire just a bit ago on the storm's impact on the campaign:

First Read: "One, you're not going to see the candidates campaign in Virginia or New Hampshire for the rest of the week and perhaps for the rest of the campaign. (They can't bring their motorcades and Secret Service protection to these areas.) Two, three days from this campaign are essentially going to be erased. (Yes, Romney is hitting three battleground states of Ohio, Iowa, and Wisconsin. And Bill Clinton and Biden are stumping in Florida and Ohio. But how much coverage is that going to receive?) And three, if you're the president, you do your job. That's probably why you saw the president -- who landed in Florida yesterday -- decide to return immediately to the White House today."

"The only unforced error a campaign can make during this storm is acting TOO political. And the Obama campaign erased their unforced error without having today's awkward campaign event play out on TV potentially. The person in the real bind right now is Romney. What does he do that doesn't look overly-political or insensitive? He has no specific job right now."

Seriously, though, as several actual polling experts have pointed out: if Obama actually does have a lead of two points or so in OH, it was inevitable that one or two pre-election polls would show Romney ahead.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As I've said, it's not Romney's job to "play nice" as he has an election to win, but I think in terms of "optics" it simply looks better for the President to be on the news actually being President as opposed to campaigning looks MUCH better than having the nightly news show another image of a campaign event.

On the flip side, most national media is focusing almost exclusively on this storm and Romney holding rally #45767 doesn't fit into those cards. Meanwhile, Obama actually being President and giving updates on the situation WILL get airplay during this event.

Exactly. I suppose this might impact early voting which could hurt Obama, but generally this is good for the President.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom