• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
11L9g.gif

It is a big storm, not being concerned about it affecting the election at all seems short sighted. Maybe it will affect Obama and Romney the same way and won't matter, maybe it will affect one of them adversely and may matter.

It'll affect the popular vote total (mainly meaning fewer total votes for Obama), but those states are all solid blue, and a hurricane isn't going to change that. It's not going to affect who wins those EVs.

Please, someone explain to me how Sandy could cause Obama to lose. Is that being said only because it would keep people from making it to the polls? If that's the case, who is to say that it wouldn't affect Romney voters just as much? Is it the areas the storm is going to hit? Either way, if Obama is already ahead in those areas, I have no clue why it wouldn't affect each candidate equally, thus all leveling out.

Or is it because, depending on how Obama handles this upcoming mess, it could sway voters away from him?

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm not entirely sure.

Poor and minority people are generally affected by natural disasters in a worse way.

It'll affect the popular vote total (mainly meaning fewer total votes for Obama), but those states are all solid blue, and a hurricane isn't going to change that. It's not going to affect who wins those EVs.

I don't think the worry at least for me is about NJ, NY, MD, etc. but effects in PA, VA. As noted above, Obama campaign going on PA in response to AFF buy there and sending Clinton to MN.

Wilsongt

Anti-Gay preacher already saying Sandy is happening due to homosexuals.

If homosexuals were responsible for Sandy, we'd totally have a better name for it than Sandy. So basic.

Like Dynamite Loveshack, or Venus Handstand or some crazy shit like that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What do you want to discuss about it? It's a natural storm and we don't know how serious the effects will be yet. It's not like we can stop it.

Obama campaign just announced they will be going on the air in PA and sending Bill Clinton the Minnesota.

Is Minnesota the name of a sex act and/or hooker?

Zabka

The storm looks like it's going to go right over Pennsyltucky into Upstate New York. If anyone's going to have trouble it will be Republican areas.

JCizzle

i dont think you need 1 month. I think you should be able to do 1 week early voting EVERYWHERE. Thats not even going crazy like registration and voting the same day. Its so archaic to have a single day

Well, can anyone give me an explanation why Election Day isn't a Federal holiday? I know the GOP wants to restrict voting and all that, but beyond that - is there a legitimate reason?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS I'm in NJ and the southern coastal areas are most seriously affected right now. Full of oldies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is Minnesota the name of a sex act and/or hooker?
The state is mobile actually. Back in the 50s then governor Orville Freeman launched a program to install a system of pistons and mechatronic legs eighty feet underground across the entire state, just in case we ever had to flee to our brethren in Canada. There's a plot in Ontario reserved for us through 2256

PS I'm in NJ and the southern coastal areas are most seriously affected right now. Full of oldies.

seriously . . . central/southeastern NJ is a republican stronghold (i also live here.) old, white and rich people. i am not worried about this affecting obama at all.

even if it does prevent people from going to the polls, it won't fucking flip new jersey or maryland. obama's PV numbers might suffer but are we forgetting that there's an electoral college? christ people.

seriously . . . central/southeastern NJ is a republican stronghold (i also live here.) i am not worried about this affecting obama at all.

even if it does prevent people from going to the polls, it won't fucking flip new jersey or maryland. obama's PV numbers might suffer but are we forgetting that there's an electoral college? christ people.

Southeastern - yes.

Central?

If you're referring to Monmouth I suppose that's the case.

heh
The U.S. Labor Department on Monday said it hasn’t made a decision yet on whether to delay Friday’s October jobs report, the final reading on the labor market before next week’s federal elections.

A Labor official said the agency will assess the schedule for all its data releases this week when the “weather emergency” is over.

Labor is scheduled to release the employment report on Friday, third quarter employment costs on Wednesday and weekly jobless claims on Thursday.

The U.S. Census Bureau also said it hasn’t made a decision on whether to delay economic reports it plans to release this week, including construction spending on Thursday and factory orders on Friday.
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/10/29/labor-department-may-delay-jobs-report/

Recently read this article:

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/breaking-retired-nsa-analyst-proves-gop-is-stealing-elections/article20598.html

Is the GOP possibly stealing this election, especially with Tagg Romney owning voting machines in OH, a genuine concern or is this guy just overreacting?

Not a genuine concern.

Only place where he can steal elections is in extremely unsecure states like South Carolina or New Jersey.

In fact, I would say it's already happened in South Carolina (Alvin Greene).

HylianTom

Banned
If there is one thing the storm could do, it's make a Romney popular vote victory more likely.
Yup. If the margins in the northeast are the same but with fewer voters, Obama will still win those states but the northeast won't be as able to cut-into the margins that Romney will be running-up down here {*cue banjo music*}.

I'm not worried about states flipping due to Sandy, I'm worried about how the elections will be carried out in effected areas. This would most certainly lower Obama's popular vote margin by suppressing turnout

RDreamer

I'm not worried about states flipping due to Sandy, I'm worried about how the elections will be carried out in effected areas. This would most certainly lower Obama's popular vote margin by suppressing turnout

Well, at least there'd be a sort of excuse as to why Obama lost the popular vote if indeed that's what happened.

Republicans wouldn't accept reality, and would call it an excuse. Anything that makes a 2000 redux likely is a problem to me, given how far the GOP is willing to go in order to incite people

Loudninja

Misleading Romney Auto Ad Backfires With Media
“Mitt Romney’s campaign has released an ad in Ohio that says he — and not President Barack Obama — will do more to help the auto industry, even though Obama’s administration is widely credited with helping to turn around General Motors and Chrysler when they faced collapse,” writes the Detroit Free Press in an article titled ‘Romney takes heat for new ad on jobs, auto rescue’. “In the ad, the Romney campaign also says that Jeep, now owned by Italian automaker Fiat after going through a structured bankruptcy in 2009, is going to make cars in China. While true, that production would represent an expansion or return of jobs to China for Chrysler, not a transfer of North American jobs. It also is a move that analysts say could improve the brand’s global standing.”

“Romney Ad Wrongly Implies Chrysler Is Sending U.S. Jobs To China,” reads a National Journal headline.

The sense that the Romney ad breached already lax standards for honesty in campaign ads was particularly evident on Twitter Sunday afternoon and evening, when many reporters first took note of it, after it began airing in Ohio without public notice.

National Journal’s Ron Fournier said there was no sound defense for the Romney ad.

Politico’s Ben White tweeted “Wait, not only did Romney camp not back off the erroneous Jeep to China canard, they made an ad out of it? My god”

Chrysler, the company that manufactures Jeep, felt the need to respond publicly that, no, Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its models out of North America to China.

“There are times when the reading of a newswire report generates storms originated by a biased or predisposed approach,” Jeep wrote on its official blog.

The Obama campaign has dispatched former auto adviser Steve Rattner to debunk the ad, both in Ohio and nationally. A campaign official tells TPM that Rattner will host a conference call to address the Romney ad with reporters on Monday.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...to-ad-backfires-with-media.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Does Nate Silver read this damn thread?

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...in/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

First, the Northeast is a wealthy party of the country, and wealthier regions have better infrastructure than impoverished ones, allowing them to recuperate more quickly after a disaster. Were the hurricane expected to hit at the same time next week, it would almost certainly be profoundly disruptive to the election. But the effects might be more modest a week from now.

Second, although the storm surge represents the most immediate threat from the hurricane, inland areas are under considerable risk as well. Hurricane Sandy could potentially flood riverbanks and other low-lying areas, both because of the storm surge carrying forth into them and then because of the potential for large amounts of rainfall. Moreover, these inland regions may be less well prepared to deal with the storm’s effects, especially given the news media’s tendency to focus its alerts on the impact to major, coastal cities and then to ignore the impact of a storm once it passes through them. (Hurricane Irene in 2011 produced more deaths in landlocked Vermont than in New York City.) Thus, Sandy’s after-effects could be felt in red-leaning areas like central Pennsylvania and West Virginia, along with others that are more Democratic-leaning.

In other words, we don't know, could be bad, but there's evidence that it won't be. There's nothing we can do at this point, other than stay safe.

pigeon

Banned
They must have gotten too comfortable with lying and didn't hesitate to push it too far.

Sending it to air without releasing it to the press basically guaranteed it would get bad coverage. I'm kind of surprised they didn't just kick it out to the press and hope for he-said she-said reporting.

Tamanon

Banned
Well, can anyone give me an explanation why Election Day isn't a Federal holiday? I know the GOP wants to restrict voting and all that, but beyond that - is there a legitimate reason?

Honestly, the Federal holiday wouldn't have too much impact and would probably serve to disenfranchise the poor.

Many places are still open on holidays.

Loudninja

Romney Campaign Cancels Events Out Of ‘Sensitivity’ To Storm Situation
Out of sensitivity for the millions of Americans in the path of Hurricane Sandy, we are canceling tonight's events with Governor Romney in Wisconsin and Congressman Ryan in Melbourne and Lakeland, Florida. We are also canceling all events currently schedule for both Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan on Tuesday. Governor Romney believes this is a time for the nation and its leaders to come together to focus on those Americans who are in harms way. We will provide additional details regarding Governor Romney's and Congressman Ryan's schedule when they are available
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/romney-campaign-cancels-events-out-of-sensitivity-to

Cheebo

Banned
I like how they waited till Romney took the stage at a big Iowa rally rather first thing in the morning like Obama. So they were able to squeeze one rally in there while still seeming above the fray.

I thought it was pretty good, especially with how much worse his blog has been since Justin Green came on :/

I agree with him completely, although only David Frum could propose large expansions to the social safety net as a third way.
He gets at the heart of one of the things that bugs me. Republicans are all about saving a fetus but wen it's out of the womb it's on it's own. And with Murdock's comment it goes a step further and one can then assume that the woman, who is the victim here, is further victimized with a child she didn't ask for. Republicans talk about family but don't talk about the kind of psychological damage would persist after something like this. To the whole family.

It's really just fucked all around.

Sandy is worse for Romney tbh, barring major voting problems in the northeast. Romney needs this last week to attempt to close the deal. Obama is leading in Wisconsin and Ohio...Romney needs to be there fighting for votes as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom