• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
That guy's Romney's health care advisor and also massive tool. I've seen him quite a few times on Chris Hayes' show and he's an absolute dipshit.

I can tell you the Medicare part is a flat out lie. It's a cut on costs not benefits.

The premium increase isn't distinguished from the increase that would happen anyway.

The only part that gets me is the "source" of the Obama adviser. Is that a straight lie? Can't imagine why an Obama adviser would say something like that.

RDreamer

I think the problem with this is saying that Obamacare itself is increasing those premiums. Premiums have gone up by a ton over the last decade anyway. So, yes, Premiums may go up, but I'm not entirely sure he's making a good case that Obamacare itself is doing it.

The other thing is that he's pushing the stupid $716 billion as a loss per person, and implying it's a loss in benefits.

Really, he's using a lot of talking points, and that makes sense since he's a Romney advisor.

Chumly

The only part that gets me is the "source" of the Obama adviser. Is that a straight lie? Can't imagine why an Obama adviser would say something like that.

Ok so the 30% increase is devoid of context but considering the study was done supposedly in 2011 and by 2016 it will increase premiums by 30%? Over the course of 5 years? I think thats actually well below what we have average in the last 5 years. The chart is misinformation at its finest.

Trurl

Banned
No, there is no such law of averages. Each PhoenixDark prediction is an independent trial.

No way. After each consecutive instance of PD being wrong, the odds of him being wrong the next time are cut in half. Consequently, PD making a prediction changes the likelihood of that event happening.

It's all a part of the new statistics.

Mitt Romney supports privatizing FEMA. If Obama manages to lose this campaign I will have lost all faith in our political process.

It is like the privatization of the military going on. The government hired private contractors to look into whether privatizing military things was a good idea. Surprise, surprise, the military contractor doing the study indeed believed that privatizing more military things would be a good idea. And so we lost soldiers to privatized entities that charged more money.

They just want to eliminate government run things so they can do them privately and collect a big profit. How much has Halliburton, Blackwater, etc. made on Iraq? I don't even want to know as it makes me sick. Getting rich over a war based on false pretenses.

Doesn't FEMA already contract out a lot of work? Why give the lead role away and lose accountability?

RDreamer

Seems we're wrong and that 30% is an increase over what would have happened without Obamacare

As states began the process of considering whether or not to set up the insurance exchanges mandated by the new health law, several retained Gruber as a consultant. In at least three cases—Wisconsin in August 2011, Minnesota in November 2011, and Colorado in January 2012—Gruber reported that premiums in the individual market would increase, not decrease, as a result of Obamacare.

In Wisconsin, Gruber reported that people purchasing insurance for themselves on the individual market would see, on average, premium increases of 30 percent by 2016, relative to what would have happened in the absence of Obamacare. In Minnesota, the law would increase premiums by 29 percent over the same period. Colorado was the least worst off, with premiums under the law rising by only 19 percent.

Some low-income individuals would benefit from Obamacare’s subsidies; for those individuals, the impact of these premium increases would be blunted. But if premium costs go up at a rate faster than people expect, taxpayers will be on the hook for billions upon billions of extra subsidies.

Looking for more info.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation

Chumly

Here is the report directly

A few key points:
 The Individual Market will experience premium increases as
compared to pre reform premiums. (Section 7, Page 27)
Prior to the application of tax subsidies 87% of the individual market will experience an
average premium increase of 41%. The average increase for the entire Individual Market
will be 30%.
After the application of tax subsidies 59% of the individual market will
experience an average premium increase of 31%. This is mostly due to the rating and
product limitation changes, the merging of the HIRSP population into the Individual
Market and the introduction of the new exchange. Approximately 40% of the current
Individual Market is enrolled in benefit plans that have an actuarial value below the ACA
minimum.

It should be noted that we did not model the impact of the reinsurance program in the
exchange which may alleviate the premium increases. In addition, we have assumed the
existing HIRSP subsidies will not be used to mitigate the premium changes in the
Individual Market. If they were used, we believe the Individual Market premiums could
be reduced by approximately 10%.
Please see Section 6, page 23 for an illustration of the premium impacts to Wisconsin
households.
40% of the current market is enrolled in crap plans that don't even meet the minimum for ACA so of course those people are going to see premium increases.

After the application of tax subsidies, 41% of the Individual
Market will experience premium decreases as compared to
pre reform premiums. (Section 7, Page 26)

The average premium decrease will be 56%. 86% of this population will receive a
premium tax subsidy within the Exchange.
Other reasons for premium reductions are due
to the rating limitations such as the 3 to 1 age band and eliminating the health status
adjustment.

By 2016, the number of uninsured is projected to decrease by
340,000, or 65%. (Section 3.1, Page 7)
Due to the individual mandate and the premium tax subsidies, the number of uninsured
will drop by 340,000 leaving 180,000 uninsured.
27% of this population will receive
premium tax subsidies through the exchange and 38% of this population will receive
coverage through public insurance. Another 30% are covered through ESI and the
remaining 5% will be unsubsidized through the exchange. In contrast, if the individual
mandate is repealed, we estimate that only 62,000 uninsured would gain coverage, with
460,000 remaining uninsured.
 57% of the Individual Market (91,000 members) will be eligible
for tax subsidies within the exchange. (Section 7, Page 26)

Approximately half of this population is individual policyholders. The total for tax
credits to Wisconsin state residents in 2016 is $729 million.

Basically it looks like he was cherry picking data out of the report without giving context or taking subsidy's into account, insurance minimums etc. It was an article deliberately made to deceive the general public. Considering he is an advisor to the Romney Campaign I can't say that surprises me.

Also the average healthcare costs in general increase by 45% from 2006-2011 . So is a 30% increase that shocking? Looks like normal to me.

(DISCLOSURE: I am an outside adviser to the Romney campaign on health care issues. The opinions contained herein are mine alone, and do not necessarily correspond to those of the campaign.)

ido

New development at work with the troglodytes.

"Did you hear about the plane crash that burned every vote the military made? Yeah, I'd be willing to bet my next 5 paychecks that Obama had that plane shot down."

I explain to him what actually happened.

"You really believe all those little nerds that type up stuff on a computer?"

I absolutely cannot wait for the conspiracy theories on the 7th.

tranciful

"Did you hear about the plane crash that burned every vote the military made? Yeah, I'd be willing to bet my next 5 paychecks that Obama had that plane shot down."

Did you explain how veterans and members of the military have consistently donated more to Obama compared to Romney?

jbug617

Banned
There is nothing wrong with Ann campaigning. Clinton is doing it on the behalf of Obama. Romney really doesn't have heavy hitter to campaign on his behalf other than his wife.

Tamanon

Banned
So, why is the Romney campaign doing storm relief in Ohio, Iowa and Wisconsin?

I didn't think they were hit too hard yet, certainly not like the coast.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is there already a company that does that, with decent cash flows, little debt, and based in an At Will state? No?

Then forget it.

I was being sarcastic.

A venture capitalist invests money in an idea with the gamble it will take off and they'll get a return on their initial investment.

Pretty sure when Mitt "Success" Romney spots an opportunity, there is no gamble.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He has no chance in any of the states that were hit by Sandy, NJ, NY, and CT were always going to Obama.

ido

Did you explain how veterans and members of the military have consistently donated more to Obama compared to Romney?

I could, but the answer would be, "And you believe those lies? You need to start listening to real news."

Seriously, I live in MS. It can be more ignorant than you can imagine.

And why does water taste different out of my bathroom sink compared to my kitchen sink?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Mitt is holding an event in Ohio while Ann is holding an event in Iowa and Wisconsin. They're not even trying to hide what they're up to.

RDreamer

A few key points:
40% of the current market is enrolled in crap plans that don't even meet the minimum for ACA so of course those people are going to see premium increases.

Basically it looks like he was cherry picking data out of the report without giving context or taking subsidy's into account, insurance minimums etc. It was an article deliberately made to deceive the general public. Considering he is an advisor to the Romney Campaign I can't say that surprises me.

Also the average healthcare costs in general increase by 45% from 2006-2011 . So is a 30% increase that shocking? Looks like normal to me.

Do you know if it's a 30% increase, or a 30% increase over what would have been without Obamacare, because I thought it was the latter?

This seems to also be a large part of the increase:

The merging of the Individual Market with the HIRSP Market
will increase Individual Market premiums by 16%. (Section 6,
Page 22 and Appendix VIII, Page 42)

Due to higher morbidity in the HIRSP population as compared to the Individual Market,
the merging of these markets results in the Individual Market subsidizing the HIRSP
Market. In addition, we have assumed the existing HIRSP subsidies will not be used to
mitigate the premium changes in the Individual Market. If they were used, we believe
the Individual Market premiums could be reduced by approximately 10%.

Seems like with combining a high risk pool of people into the individual market that means the individual market's costs will, obviously, go up. But that's also assuming the subsidies in place aren't used.

ido

Mitt is holding an event in Ohio while Ann is holding an event in Iowa and Wisconsin. They're not even trying to hide what they're up to.

He can literally flip any scenario ever.

I AM NOT GOING TO BE CAMPAIGNING DUE TO THIS EMERGENCY, SO I FIGURED I WOULD CAMPAIGN ABOUT THE EMERGENCY IN OHIO.

I mean, I can completely concede to this POV...I'd just like to get some more information on why exactly it's incorrect.

I found article where Jon Gruber was saying that critics cherry-picked data from his report and he thinks HCR is a good thing.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_c929f5a6-d054-11e0-ba1d-001cc4c002e0.html

I haven't thoroughly investigated this particular issue since I've given up on believing anything that comes from the Romney camp.

A few key points:

Great stuff, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

There's this guy who used to be a distant friend a few years ago. Then he went batshit crazy when Obama was elected. A bit ago I found out he's been telling everyone who will listen conspiracy theories about Obama. His favorite one is insisting that Obama "stole" the election in 2008. How did Obama steal the election?

Because Obama "used the internet". And how, did Obama use the internet?

"Obama had young people go online and convince people to vote for him. He wouldn't have won if he hadn't used the internet to steal votes."

That's right. Obama stole an election. By asking people to vote for him.

The guy's running for President, I cannot be angry that he is campaigning for that position. Now if he uses the event to add elements to his stump speech that criticize the disaster response, then I'll be pissed.

They were hit very hard. The lamestream media just won't report on them because they aren't liberal Obama strongholds full of sin and corruption.

Dems only have a 60k vote lead in Iowa. I'm starting to believe Romney can squeak out a win there, given polls showing him having a large lead among voters who haven't voted yet.

Kinvara

There's this guy who used to be a distant friend a few years ago. Then he went batshit crazy when Obama was elected. A bit ago I found out he's been telling everyone who will listen conspiracy theories about Obama. His favorite one is insisting that Obama "stole" the election in 2008. How did Obama steal the election?

Because Obama "used the internet". And how, did Obama use the internet?

"Obama had young people go online and convince people to vote for him. He wouldn't have won if he hadn't used the internet to steal votes."

That's right. Obama stole an election. By asking people to vote for him.

Poor guy. If(when) Obama is re-elected, he'll probably lose what's left of his sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom