• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ido

Sorry about that. It's a mechanism of mine. Forgot about the gold part. You nailed it - gold and heirloom seeds.

On the bright side, Obama's re-election will help these states over the long term, even if we're being dragged along into the future.

Indeed. We always have a R Governor, and our state is consistently the top in every shitty list you can find. It's almost to the point of Stockholm syndrome, where bad equals good.

Can this week go by any fucking slower.

PD you're tweeting him to do an interview in the middle of a hurricane?

At least send him here instead of the main page. He's gonna find pop-gaf.

HylianTom

Banned
Indeed. We always have a R Governor, and our state is consistently the top in every shitty list you can find. It's almost to the point of Stockholm syndrome, where bad equals good.

Can this week go by any fucking slower.
I'm counting the hours. This is going as slowly as waiting for a new Zelda game.

Another thing I'm looking forward to? When Obama won last time, fireworks rang-out throughout the city through the night. Folks were dancing in the streets, strangers hugging strangers, lots and lots of deep, soulful shedding of tears (I'm getting misty-eyed right now just thinking about it).. The city voted for Obama somewhere in the mid-80% range, and everyone was sharing in the euphoria.

Aside from when the Saints won the SuperBowl, this was maybe as close as I'll get to see an entire city celebrating on a V-Day-like scale. Streetcars loaded to the brim with people singing and waving, impromptu brass bands marching down the streets with dancing mobs behind them.. Very, very cathartic.

(And I'm sure there were crickets chirping out in Metairie and Kenner. Ha. Ha.)

It's really difficult to imagine living in these people's heads. I cannot wrap my brain around how stupid they are when it comes to critically thinking. Their thought process when it comes to politics is pretty much, "Hold on, let me listen to Fox News, Michael Savage, Rush or Hannity so I can know what my opinion will be."

Today he said Obama, while in the oval office, watched the four people die in Benghazi on a drone camera. Watched it... live, as it was happening. Then I think he mumbled something about Obama being secretly gay, and Muslim.

I know it sounds like I'm making this stuff up, but I assure you these people exist, and I work with them.

Critical thinking is right. I mean really, he escalated the war in Afghanistan, green-lighted a daring raid into Pakistan's sovereign territory, droned the living shit out of Afghanistant/Pakistan/Yemen . . . and he intentionally let our people die in Benghazi? Where the fuck is the logic in that?

And yeah, I believe the crazy people. As I've mentioned a few times, my parents are old, white, retired, and have a place in Florida. People around them assume they are like everyone else so they get to hear crazy racist stuff. They were telling me about this one former executive at a power company who completely believes the birther nonsense. It is pretty disheartening. You can't have a rational discussion with that.

Hm. I've always been fascinated by the "blue stripe" of the South. I've always thought it followed the path of some interstate road, but it looks like it doesn't for the most part (never bothered to look that up until now).

QY7Vs.jpg

Hm. I've always been fascinated by the "blue stripe" of the South. Plankton doesn't seem to be a modern enough answer. I've always thought it followed the path of some major interstate, but it looks like it doesn't for the most part (never bothered to look that up until now).

QY7Vs.jpg

African Americans? Urban areas?

SmokeMaxX

Hm. I've always been fascinated by the "blue stripe" of the South. Plankton doesn't seem to be a modern enough answer. I've always thought it followed the path of some major interstate, but it looks like it doesn't for the most part (never bothered to look that up until now).

QY7Vs.jpg

It's the Kool-Aid man.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
African Americans? Urban areas?

African-Americans. It's what the article says, at least. TL:DR: Plankton was in those areas from previous glaciers/oceans, settlers found fertile land there, brought slaves there, slaves stay there, ex-slaves vote democrat.

Plankton -> democrats.

ido

Another thing I'm looking forward to? When Obama won last time, fireworks rang-out throughout the city through the night. Folks were dancing in the streets, strangers hugging strangers, lots and lots of deep, soulful shedding of tears (I'm getting misty-eyed right now just thinking about it).. The city voted for Obama somewhere in the mid-80% range, and everyone was sharing in the euphoria.

After looking at RD's link, apparently my county voted in the 65% range or so, which shouldn't have surprised me knowing Jackson is in the same county. People were happy here, but not quite as you described. That is pretty damn cool.

I'm nervously excited this year, completely unlike 2008 where I really had no doubt at all who would win. I know the odds are completely in favor of Obama, but I cannot shake this nagging doubt for some reason.

Just hurry up. Shit.

SmokeMaxX

After looking at RD's link, apparently my county voted in the 65% range or so, which shouldn't have surprised me knowing Jackson is in the same county. People were happy here, but not quite as you described. That is pretty damn cool.

I'm nervously excited this year, completely unlike 2008 where I really had no doubt at all who would win. I know the odds are completely in favor of Obama, but I cannot shake this nagging doubt for some reason.

Just hurry up. Shit.

It's probably because of the Mittmentum going on.

I'm counting the hours. This is going as slowly as waiting for a new Zelda game.

Aside from when the Saints won the SuperBowl, this was maybe as close as I'll get to see an entire city celebrating on a V-Day-like scale. Streetcars loaded to the brim with people singing and waving, impromptu brass bands marching down the streets with dancing mobs behind them.. Very, very cathartic.

(And I'm sure there were crickets chirping out in Metairie and Kenner. Ha. Ha.)

I love freaking love New Orleans (the suburbs are boring though). They sure as hell know how to throw a party. I was there during the superbowl though I don't remember much.

I'll put it this way: if even the Obama campaign was aware of the existence of this site back during the 2008 campaign, it would be a good bet to say that Nate Silver has visited here.

I need to hear more about this. Did the campaign mention GAF in some way four years ago?

RDreamer

LOL . . . that . . . might actually be true!

Instead of writing German, British, Irish, Italian, Danish, etc. . . . they write 'American'.

This is exactly what I was thinking what I saw that map, and the mental image of a southerner exclaiming "American!" upon writing it down on the census cracks me up.

Realyst

I need to hear more about this. Did the campaign mention GAF in some way four years ago?

I've never seen GAF mentioned by name, but there have been plenty of cues taken by the campaign that were mostly attributed to discussion taking place here.

For example: at the height of the financial crisis back in September 2008, McCain announced that he was suspending his campaign and was heading back to Capitol Hill in order to be perceived as a leader in the middle of a crisis. Folks here urged Obama to not go the same route, and should claim that he can handle campaigning and crisis mitigation at the same time. Obama did exactly that, exclaiming that he "can handle more that one thing at a time."

There's been plenty examples where one suitable strategy was discussed here, and was then carried out in successive fashion by the campaign in short order. Plenty of trolling ideas, as well!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
uhhhh how do I spell this out

well, Avik Roy said that he doesn't believe climate change is man-made in spite of 98% of climatologists saying it is and his only defense in that segment is bububububu ask my professor

I'm reading through your link and I'll formulate a response. But here's an immediate response:

Want more of us to come in here? Don't be sarcastic and condescending in your responses. I make you a promise that I'll do the same.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Wait, does this show what I think it does? Is the MASSIVE amounts of blue all german?!?
You can see a larger version here. The light blue is indeed German and not English. What's particularly interesting to me are the random Portuguese, Polish, and Chinese counties.
LOL . . . that . . . might actually be true!
Instead of writing German, British, Irish, Italian, Danish, etc. . . . they write 'American'.
You mean Amurikan.

RDreamer

Wait, does this show what I think it does? Is the MASSIVE amounts of blue all german?!?

Apparently, yes.

I've never seen GAF mentioned by name, but there have been plenty of cues taken by the campaign that were mostly attributed to discussion taking place here.

For example: at the height of the financial crisis back in September 2008, McCain announced that he was suspending his campaign and was heading back to Capitol Hill in order to be perceived as a leader in the middle of a crisis. Folks here urged Obama to not go the same route, and should claim that he can handle campaigning and crisis mitigation at the same time. Obama did exactly that, exclaiming that he "can handle more that one thing at a time."

There's been plenty examples where one suitable strategy was discussed here, and was then carried out in successive faction by the campaign in short order. Plenty of trolling ideas, as well!

Are you saying Obama gets his campaign strategies from here?

SmokeMaxX

There's been plenty examples where one suitable strategy was discussed here, and was then carried out in successive faction by the campaign in short order. Plenty of trolling ideas, as well!

A lot of the suggestions here come from the media or just plain common sense. The only reason you don't see Republican candidates doing what GAF suggests is because.... well because it's just plain common sense.

I called (jokingly) that Palin (or Fox) would claim foreign policy experience based on Alaska's proximity to Russia, and within hours they did. So Fox was reading GAF too.

There's been plenty examples where one suitable strategy was discussed here, and was then carried out in successive fashion by the campaign in short order. Plenty of trolling ideas, as well!

Coincidence. There's no way Obama's campaign takes advice from here, if they even know we exist. You're trolling, haha.

yeah.... no..

ido

Yeah, that is not even anecdotal evidence.

I do think Nate Silver would fit in like a motherfucker here, though. He has to know about GAF.

Realyst

Apparently, yes.

Are you saying Obama gets his campaign strategies from here?

I have no tangible evidence to show for it, but sure. Why not? Not to equate them both, but the gaming industry continuously cribs ideas from the Gaming side all the time, so why wouldn't other industries (or campaigns, in this case) do the same? Ask Incognito if he thinks it's possible, since he's worked for the campaign before.

Before you ask, I'm Realyst. Let me get that out of the way.

Realyst

Coincidence. There's no way Obama's campaign takes advice from here, if they even know we exist. You're trolling, haha.

Dax, you're pretty intelligent, right? Do you honestly believe that every single idea the campaign has comes from an internal source? Election think tanks WISH they could come up with half as many ideas as the Internet in general!

No, seriously! You guys have been brilliant, even when trolling!

SmokeMaxX

what if we find out silver is a dude bro COD fanatic? what then?

What if he only cares about kill:death ratio and plays objective based games without actually going for the objectives? Then when he ends the game atop the leaderbeard with the highest K:D, he talks shit to everyone and then says "see? I told you I was the best."

Dax, you're pretty intelligent, right?
I'm really not. I just have "general rule of thumbs" I follow when posting in PoliGAF that make me look smrt:

1. Assume whatever PD says about the election is wrong and take the opposite position.
2. Think whatever TalkingPointsMemo tells me to think.
3. Pretend to know every weird word Jackson50 uses in one of his posts.
4. Go with the flow. If the majority of PoliGAF members are participating in some sort of activity – whether it be calming down a particular poster, among others – do that.
5. Make weird fanfic about the members of the thread to make it seem like I fit in and know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom