• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

I want Obama to have a clear, decisive win. I don't want to see the rightwing get any ammo to argue that Obama's an "illegitimate" president.

Zabka

The only thing that I'd enjoy more than Obama winning is watching Republicans turn on a losing Romney like a pack of wild dogs.

RDreamer

More from that poll:

Strong qualities of leadership:

Yes for Obama: 59% No for Obama: 39%
Yes for Mitt: 67% No for Mitt: 30%

Ugh, Mitt can't even run his goddamned campaign or lead the republican party...

And on Libya, Obama's approval is 39% approve, 45% disapprove.

That is a damn disgrace and a showing that the Fox News spin has gained a little traction.

I just don't think it can be said enough: Obama helped take down Reagan's nemesis Ghadaffi spending 0.1% of what we spent on the Iraq war and not losing a single military person thus gaining us an oil-exporting ally in the Muslim world. Yes, the 4 people that died in that terrorist attack in post-revolution Libya is a sad tragedy. But get some fucking perspective people!

Enjoy it. I'm jealous, but would imagine that my non-political-junky friends and family would loathe it if Louisiana's EVs were up for grabs. We'd see a ton of visits. Great photo op locations here..

It always bugged me that it isn't. I used to live in Louisiana and wondered how Bill Clinton could carry the state (twice!!) and after him, it became one of the reddest states in the country.

That is FUCKING SCARY statistic. Think about the number of those people that looked at the Bush economic collapse and decided they wanted more of that!
Democrats caused the economic crash. Its the prevalence of government regulation and intervention into the marketplace that has led to nothing but distortion and skewed incentives of what would otherwise be the perfect adaptive system.

Bush did spend too much, and increased the size of government, but he had to do whatever it took to kick-start the economy after 9/11. And even that's nothing compared to the massive and immoral expansion of the debt under Obama, and for what? Green energy company cronies and the expansion of the welfare state?

Damn right we should go back to the good old Bush days. This country needs to understand that conservatism is the only way of life that leads to lasting compassion.

*blinks*

*vomits*

HylianTom

Banned
It always bugged me that it isn't. I used to live in Louisiana and wondered how Bill Clinton could carry the state (twice!!) and after him, it became one of the reddest states in the country.
I think it was the women here, but I'm not sure. He was pretty much liquid panty remover here. All of the women I knew over a certain age got that certain dreamy-eyed look when "Don't Stop" started playing and he walked out onto a stage.

It was a very surreal time. I didn't believe it in 1992, and his winning the state again in '96 made me positively giddy on Election Night.

KingK

Hey man, I grew up in Minnesota so I'm a midwesterner. Ohio has plenty going for it. Farming, industry, etc. And I really want Ohio to remain with its blue midwestern brethren of Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and (often) Iowa. Fuck those Hoosiers though. ;-)

:(

At least we voted for Obama last time! But yeah, this state generally sucks. We're about to elect fucking Mike Pence as governor. I used to at least appreciate that we had some more "moderate" conservatives like Daniels and Lugar, but the Tea Party has taken over here. It's sad.

At least we voted for Obama last time! But yeah, this state generally sucks. We're about to elect fucking Mike Pence as governor. I used to at least appreciate that we had some more "moderate" conservatives like Daniels and Lugar, but the Tea Party has taken over here. It's sad.

And . . . this creep:

presidential-candidate-mitt-romney-endorsed-indiana-senate-candidate-richard-mourdock-whos-since.jpg

RDreamer

Yeah, I really intensely hate Indiana... that's mostly because my wife and some of my friends are from down there, and I just hate that state... The drive through to my friend's wedding in Fort Wayne sucked. I don't really like the area my wife grew up in. And driving through the state from north to south sucked when we went on our honeymoon. I felt like I was driving through Fallout the game... except everyone inexplicably had brand new cars... it's just a shitty state overall.

So what happened with Nate Silver? I've been kinda out of the loop for the past day or so, so can somebody summarize what all the controversy is?

My dad says he won those elections because they were bussing people to the polls in the 9th ward.

Clevinger

So what happened with Nate Silver? I've been kinda out of the loop for the past day or so, so can somebody summarize what all the controversy is?

He's predicting Obama wins, so Republicans hate him. His statistics show how bullshit the horserace narratives are, so pundits dislike him.

If Obama wins I'd imagine the next anti-Silver spin will be that he correctly called a 50-50 coin flip, and therefore it wasn't impressive.

ido

I think it was the women here, but I'm not sure. He was pretty much liquid panty remover here. All of the women I knew over a certain age got that certain dreamy-eyed look when "Don't Stop" started playing and he walked out onto a stage.

It was a very surreal time. I didn't believe it in 1992, and his winning the state again in '96 made me positively giddy on Election Night.

I was a kid/teenager in the 90's and didn't realize Slick won LA both elections. Pretty fucking awesome.

I'm hoping for an Obama win in MS. Dick Morris has some half brother that had some secret poll where Bams was up +12 here, I'm pretty sure.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If Obama wins I'd imagine the next anti-Silver spin will be that he correctly called a 50-50 coin flip, and therefore it wasn't impressive.

You're doing it wrong.

"Nate Silver predicted that Romney would win and he was wrong.
I'm Rand Paul and I approve of this message"

pigeon

Banned
I love how Obama keeps emphasizing the phrase "lean forward" to mean cooperating enthusiastically when doing disaster relief after Sandy -- a phrase I've never heard used in that context before.

What was Obama's campaign slogan again?

This won't quite work because he also has percentages for each state so if Obama wins most of his high percentage states, it is not just 50-50.

But as Ezra pointed out, there are valid things to say . . . Nate's system is largely just poll aggregation. Nate's may be tweaked a little bit but you'd get results quite similar to Nate's with a simple poll aggregation.

Puddles

Banned
Democrats caused the economic crash. Its the prevalence of government regulation and intervention into the marketplace that has led to nothing but distortion and skewed incentives of what would otherwise be the perfect adaptive system.

Bush did spend too much, and increased the size of government, but he had to do whatever it took to kick-start the economy after 9/11. And even that's nothing compared to the massive and immoral expansion of the debt under Obama, and for what? Green energy company cronies and the expansion of the welfare state?

Damn right we should go back to the good old Bush days. This country needs to understand that conservatism is the only way of life that leads to lasting compassion.

*blinks*

*vomits*

I read or hear this argument almost word for word, just about every day.

This won't quite work because he also has percentages for each state so if Obama wins most of his high percentage states, it is not just 50-50.

But as Ezra pointed out, there are valid things to say . . . Nate's system is largely just poll aggregation. Nate's may be tweaked a little bit but you'd get results quite similar to Nate's with a simple poll aggregation.

Yea, actually I think poll agg is better now, but considering that nates model had the race looking like this in June that's really impressive.

AniHawk

I love how Obama keeps emphasizing the phrase "lean forward" to mean cooperating enthusiastically when doing disaster relief after Sandy -- a phrase I've never heard used in that context before.

What was Obama's campaign slogan again?

forward. msnbc's is lean forward.

Measley

Race is over, hannity says its locked up for Romney.

All kidding aside, what Hannity, Limbaugh and the rest of the goons are doing is a very bad thing. Them lying about the state of the race is going to do nothing but sow the seeds of resentment when the election goes the other way.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Romney's getting blowback from the entire state of Ohio and then some for his blatantly false Jeep and GM claims, and meanwhile, Fox News has spent the last two days harping over an Obama ad with children singing as being "desperate and manipulative."

teiresias

I want Obama to have a clear, decisive win. I don't want to see the rightwing get any ammo to argue that Obama's an "illegitimate" president.

Clearly you haven't been paying attention the past few decades. Republicans and the GOP inherently see any democratic President as "illegitimate." Doesn't matter what they've done.

Owzers

All kidding aside, what Hannity, Limbaugh and the rest of the goons are doing is a very bad thing. Them lying about the state of the race is going to do nothing but sow the seeds of resentment when the election goes the other way.

but it does set the narrative for Chicago style politics stealing the election amid natural disaster chaos. I mean , the polls have romney up 6 points, how could he not win?

Rhetorical, no actual evidence is requested, 4 more years of an illegitimate president.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Romney's getting blowback from the entire state of Ohio and then some for his blatantly false Jeep and GM claims, and meanwhile, Fox News has spent the last two days harping over an Obama ad with children singing as being "desperate and manipulative."

Is he? I don't feel like I see much of the media commenting on the Jeep thing.

Amir0x

Banned
polls yay race remains the same

Well, why do you tolerate that racist prick? Granted I work in an air-conditioned office, but I'd imagine that if I were in a situation where an asshole keeps repeating the n-word, I'll tell him to tone it down/not use in my presence. Or I'll just report to the higher ups. I dunno much about working at army depot, but I can straight up tell you that I cannot work in an environment where 90% of workers are political sheep and/or racists. Anyways, their tears are gonna be so salty they could corrode their skulls.

well the reason I tolerate him is because I am a supervisor and technically I have broken many rules to do political battle with him. and if I said anything I would actually be the one to get in trouble for, like, not following the rules and being a bad example :p

but it was too hard not to fight back against his retardation, so I fell into the rabbit hole. still, victories in the election are its own kind of reward

More from that poll:

Strong qualities of leadership:

Yes for Obama: 59% No for Obama: 39%
Yes for Mitt: 67% No for Mitt: 30%

Ugh, Mitt can't even run his goddamned campaign or lead the republican party...

you're forgetting that Mitt is a white guy

people are dumb

KingK

And . . . this creep:

presidential-candidate-mitt-romney-endorsed-indiana-senate-candidate-richard-mourdock-whos-since.jpg

Well, there's still a decent chance Donnelly will beat that fucker. I'm not counting on it, but it's very possible (the polls have been tied for weeks last I checked).

Yeah, I really intensely hate Indiana... that's mostly because my wife and some of my friends are from down there, and I just hate that state... The drive through to my friend's wedding in Fort Wayne sucked. I don't really like the area my wife grew up in. And driving through the state from north to south sucked when we went on our honeymoon. I felt like I was driving through Fallout the game... except everyone inexplicably had brand new cars... it's just a shitty state overall.

I always just try to think "hey, at least we're not as bad as the South." Kinda sad when that's the best redeeming quality I can think of.

let's see, mitt continues campaigning while at the same time helping relief efforts through his ability to crowd source. meanwhile, obama cancels ALL of his events in order to hole up in a secured location "directing" a rescue effort that by and large is handled by state and local authorities. i don't think it's a surprise voters view romney as the stronger leader; i mean, you have to be able to walk and chew gum at same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom