• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All of you WISH you could run a polling firm. Just like you all wish you had a handheld that sold 50k a MONTH in NPD. I am trusting Wenzell. Or Wurtzell. Or whatever.

gcubed

So I'm not wholly convinced the storm is going to change the electoral results on the coast, but I am curious - have they announced how they're going to handle voting in the really hard hit areas?

Obviously Election Day logistics are far from the most important issue going on this week, but I am very curious.

no idea on destroyed places. Places without electricity will most likely either be generators or paper ballots.

pigeon

Banned
David Frum on why he is voting for Romney, some fairly selected and completely representative quotes

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/01/why-i-ll-vote-for-romney.html

Frum is so weird right now. His argument is exactly the same as mine, except that he thinks that the GOP will moderate if it wins because Romney is secretly neither moderate nor extreme but pragmatic and the GOP will stop being babies if they win one. I feel like he started with his conclusion here and wrote backwards.

Owzers

The congressional Republicans have shown themselves a destructive and irrational force in American politics. But we won't reform the congressional GOP by re-electing President Obama.

That sounds really similar to giving in to a terrorists demands. The tea party house has been SO terrible that the only solution is to vote for the candidate they want.

And the laughable part is, that candidate is Romney, a guy who hasn't found a position he'd keep given opposition to, and he's supposed to change the house gop and not the other way around? Thanks Frum, you're funny.

This totally sounds like he isn't voting for Romney, wtf.

It's basically him saying "I really hope the mitt I'm voting for is the MA mitt, not the general election Mitt. Conservative dems and liberal republicans are great, Obama's pretty cool, but MA Romney is better. Gosh darnit i hope I'm voting for MA Romney. GOP is crazy, but with Romney they'll stop being crazy!"

You have nothing to base that on. Did you read?
The article merely presents both sides of the argument. We've seen a few polls with rather low Hispanic numbers in Florida or Obama with 85-88% of black voters in Ohio. And young people...meh, not buying they show up until they do.

I don't think Gallup is completely right, but I do believe this electorate will be very white and older. That's why I remain bearish on Obama's chances in Ohio. Maybe Romney fucked himself with the jeep nonsense but those white blue collar voters are looking for a reason to vote against Obama.

I think Tuesday will feature a couple surprises, including Ohio

witness

Can it be Tuesday already? I'm so stressed out over this thing. I'm confident Obama will win, but damn do I just want it to happen already.

I don't think Gallup is completely right, but I do believe this electorate will be very white and older. That's why I remain bearish on Obama's chances in Ohio. Maybe Romney fucked himself with the jeep nonsense but those white blue collar voters are looking for a reason to vote against Obama.

so you're a variant on the poll truthers. Good to know.

Implosion of white support in the rust belt and midwest compared to the South is the very reason why Romney can't seem to crack Ohio, where his unfavorables are high and his credibility is low. The electorate will be whiter and somewhat older than 2008, but it's not going to help Mitt where he needs its help the most.

The article merely presents both sides of the argument. We've seen a few polls with rather low Hispanic numbers in Florida or Obama with 85-88% of black voters in Ohio. And young people...meh, not buying they show up until they do.

Oh my god! A few polls!
What concerns Republicans most is the fact that media polls seem to track more closely with Democratic internals than with the GOP’s numbers.

The Republican argument is that the public polls, like Dem internal polls, are not accurately forecasting what the electorate will look like. By contrast, the Democratic argument — articulated to me recently by Obama pollster Joel Benenson — is that historical trends strongly suggest the electorate will be as young and diverse as four years ago.

We don’t yet know who is right. But one thing is now beyond dispute: For Romney to win, the consensus of the state public polling has to be very, very wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Underpolling of Hispanic voters due to the language barrier is why the the Nevada polls from 2010 were wrong. There isn't any basis for your prediction of super high angry Republican vote other than MorrisLogic. Early voting/turnout figures from 9 battleground states aren't essentially meaningful since a lot of things have changed since 2008 and there aren't uniform EV or even party registration laws across battleground states.

I have this alternate theory you're just making things up to reach a pessimistic conclusion because there's less let down if you convince yourself its going to go bad in the first place. It's like That Guy everyone knows who gets upset during the fourth quarter of football games when their team is up by 10 because when other team gets a couple of first downs he reaches the conclusion the opposing team will just march down the field, make the touchdown convert the onside kick and then convert again.

David Frum on why he is voting for Romney, some fairly selected and completely representative quotes

Ugh I hate this attitude. The GOP hate Obama for reasons unknown and will actively move to block anything he tries to pass even if it's something they supported in the past, so let's reward that behavior by giving them a Republican president because then they won't be as obstructionist and those Democrats are pussies so they'll never do the obstruction thing.

That whole mentality is cynical as fuck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
34% ... so 40% is absolutely ludicrous

wow, I thought it'd be lower

I'm diablosing. ConEd is saying NYC might not have power fully until November 10. The Rich People Areas will have power by saturday NYC FLIPPING

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
PD is just hedging the rare chance all of the state polls are wrong, so he can point at it and say I told you so Nov 7th, or say I was just kidding, otherwise.

Good way to get attention too.

What's there to respond to? They are all opinions at this point. We will have answers soon enough. I contend dems are being over sampled in most of these polls. We'll see!

Besides, I'm at work and time is limited.
At my laziest, I've done better than that.

Similarly, even Gallup shows only 22% over 65 voters in their wild and wacky electorate model.

I kind of suspect that Gallup/Rasmussen/Wenzler are the closest look we'll get at the GOP internal turnout model.

Really? Didn't notice Gallup was saying that.

It was 16% in '08. I think it could rise with less youth turnout + more old people alive, but not to 22%

I think the biggest jump might be in the 50-65 range.

pigeon

Banned
Couple of quick points on that story: first, it should be obvious that it's a motivated leak. It's clear that the only way Romney can win is if there's a massive systematic error with all the state polling. It should not be surprising then that a GOP pollster suddenly produces a story on how there might be a massive systematic error with all the state polling. Taken in that light, this is another example of GOP recognition of how bad Romney's position appears.

Secondly, importantly, the argument hinges on whether polls are too bullish or too bearish on Latinos and young people. There isn't, as far as I can see, an obvious reason that a lot of polls would all be too bullish on Latinos and young people. There are a couple of well-known reasons why they might be too bearish: pollsters generally only interview in English and they generally don't reach cell phones. Historically these factors have proven to underweight Latino and youth voters. Polls that do call cell phones? Consistently show even better results for Obama. The very few polls that do Spanish and English interviews? Latino Decisions shows more Latino vote intention than ever before and huge margins for Obama.

So what are the theoretical reasons that the polls might be overweighting them? It's not really sufficient to theorize an effect; to be taken seriously, you need to theorize a cause.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

A Romney election will at least discourage the congressional GOP from deliberately pushing the US into recession in 2013.
If that isn't some wishful thinking, I don't know what is. Who really believes Romney would stand up to congressional Republicans, or that those politicians would suddenly start serving the country?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh I hate this attitude. The GOP hate Obama for reasons unknown and will actively move to block anything he tries to pass even if it's something they supported in the past, so let's reward that behavior by giving them a Republican president because then they won't be as obstructionist and those Democrats are pussies so they'll never do the obstruction thing.

That whole mentality is cynical as fuck.

Appeasing hostage takers is truly the best policy.

gcubed

wow, I thought it'd be lower

I'm diablosing. ConEd is saying NYC might not have power fully until November 10. The Rich People Areas will have power by saturday NYC FLIPPING

i don't think most people under 30 know that midterms exist

Couple of quick points on that story: first, it should be obvious that it's a motivated leak. It's clear that the only way Romney can win is if there's a massive systematic error with all the state polling. It should not be surprising then that a GOP pollster suddenly produces a story on how there might be a massive systematic error with all the state polling. Taken in that light, this is another example of GOP recognition of how bad Romney's position appears.

Secondly, importantly, the argument hinges on whether polls are too bullish or too bearish on Latinos and young people. There isn't, as far as I can see, an obvious reason that a lot of polls would all be too bullish on Latinos and young people. There are a couple of well-known reasons why they might be too bearish: pollsters generally only interview in English and they generally don't reach cell phones. Historically these factors have proven to underweight Latino and youth voters. Polls that do call cell phones? Consistently show even better results for Obama. The very few polls that do Spanish and English interviews? Latino Decisions shows more Latino vote intention than ever before and huge margins for Obama.

So what are the theoretical reasons that the polls might be overweighting them? It's not really sufficient to theorize an effect; to be taken seriously, you need to theorize a cause.

Also shows why the attacks on Silver are so misguided.

If Romney wins and Silver is wrong, Silver isn't wrong because his model is wrong. He's wrong because the state public polling is wrong across the board. There's a systematic omitted variable bias that took place. Silver relies on public polling. The only way he could be wrong is if his model and the polling differed and the polling won out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom