• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late Super PAC Ad Buy Urges African Americans To Vote Republican Because Lincoln Freed The Slaves
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/blacks-should-vote-republican-ad-ohio.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

I have two reactions to this. The first is the generally obvious shock/disbelief/disdain/incredulity that most people feel. But the second one is almost one of empathy/pity. I mean let's consider this for just a second. They're trying to get a traditionally democratic-bloc of voters to see their side of the coin, and what they can offer, and their delivery is essentially "our team freed your black asses, remember that?"

In the mindset of most people, let alone african americans, I would think they would offer up something up a bit more contemporary, say something that is fresher in people's minds, say something within the past 75 to 50 years (something within a current living persons life span). But of course they don't have any such claims to stand by, so they basically say "what's something we can connect to 'black' people with?" And this is their answer. That alone should tell you all you need to know about the modern day Republican party.

Forget the tax cuts for the wealthy, excessive deficit spending, the many wars over the years, Iran-Contra, Watergate and any other repugnant shit any person grounded in reality could think of -- all you need to know about any modern day Republican politician is they have a tenuous connection with what an average American is or looks like, and to me, this is just sad/depressing.

I don't know what the future holds for the Republican party. Personally, I'd like to see some competition in the political arena (I can dream of a three party system), but its clear the demographics don't favor their current, mostly white rich people and mostly poor/southern white people.

smurfx

get some go again
question for those that know this stuff. can i vote in person instead of voting by mail even though i signed up for permanent vote by mail? think i would prefer to do that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
question for those that know this stuff. can i vote in person instead of voting by mail even though i signed up for permanent vote by mail? think i would prefer to do that.

Depends on state but they will not throw away your ballot, they just cast a provisional one and/or just let you vote. Unless you live in Ohio and are Democratic, in which case Jon Husted will shred it personally.

yes. if bams can get CO and IA, in addition to NV, he doesn't even need ohio or new hampshire.

so many paths to victory.

If Obama turned nothing but CO, IA and NV he would lose 270 to 268 assuming all other states went as planned.

Why would anyone be surprised Obama is going to Wisconsin most besides Ohio?

If Ohio and Nv are in, all he needs is Wisconsin. And while you could say the same of Co, Fla, and Va, Wisconsin is more pro-Obama than any other swing state. So of course it makes sense to go there strategically and lock it up as much as possible.

Cloudy

Banned

Don't do it. Your vote will be marked as provisional and might not count. Just do it by mail

Wow, Bams is going to Wisconsin an awful lot.

It's a state where Bush overperformed in 2004 and has had little air and ground effort put into it to date. It's election day registration laws reward a strong GOTV.

I think Obama is like +2/+3 on their internals and know that if they protect Ohio and Wisconson, Romney's cooked.

Why would anyone be surprised Obama is going to Wisconsin most besides Ohio?

If Ohio and Nv are in, all he needs is Wisconsin. And while you could say the same of Co, Fla, and Va, Wisconsin is more pro-Obama than any other swing state. So of course it makes sense to go there strategically and lock it up as much as possible.

GOP still thinks they can win in Wisconsin which is laughable

Don't tell me he got banned for this. This isn't even that bad. And Kosmo-with-a-beard just ain't worth it.

Yeah, that's a head-scratcher. Now saying 'looking forward to ur suicide on election night lols' is definitely understandable. But this...I've been insulted much worse than that in OT.

So I tried to go out today to vote early in MD. The lines were to long so I just went home. -_-

I have to clean the house and cook dinner before my girlfriend gets home. I didn't have time to wait in line a vote. I feel so disenfranchised right now. :(

I'll vote tomorrow morning around 10am when the lines are shorter.

8145787660_10f9a16083.jpg

I've been thinking, and it's not related to chris christie is fat stuff. But can he really do whirlwind tours like Obama and Romney are doing in the final stretch? Obama was awake for 48 hours a week ago. Mitt Romney is pretty healthy and lean for his age, and looks to be in pretty good shape.

edit:lol

gcubed

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204846304578092664076197002.html

The Institute of Supply Management's reading on the manufacturing sector indicated that it remained in expansion in October, and came in slightly higher than economists expected. The Conference Board reported that consumer confidence rose to its highest level since early 2008. Spending on construction projects rose in September as home building jumped, the Commerce Department reported.

Automatic Data Processing reported 158,000 new private-sector jobs were created in October. The report didn't have a consensus expectation, since ADP switched to a new methodology. The report is seen as a preview to the closely watched government employment report due Friday.

so, expansion and better then predictions across the board in all the economic indicators, consumer confidence highest since early 2008. 158k for ADP (with a new methodology).

If current trend's continue the better the economic news, the worse the BLS report

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been thinking, and it's not related to chris christie is fat stuff. But can he really do whirlwind tours like Obama and Romney are doing in the final stretch? Obama was awake for 48 years a week ago. Mitt Romney is pretty healthy and lean for his age, and looks to be in pretty good shape.
Not all campaigns have to be the same and I wouldn't count out Christie as a viable force in the party. He'd get his ass handed to him in an election against Obama, but, well, he knows that shit won't be happening.

Cloudy

Banned
Since there are so many articles today that talk about how the GOP and the Dems are equally confident of victory and isn't that weird who know what will happen, I thought I'd note that polls still show a majority of Americans believe Obama's going to win. It's not going to shock everybody.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158444/americans-give-obama-better-odds-win-election.aspx

edit: And apparently Americans are usually correct about who's going to win.

Yeah I was just reading this

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/us/politics/a-better-poll-question-to-predict-the-election.html

HylianTom

Banned
If Obama only wins by an asshair, I could see some Freepers putting some blame on Christie. They've truly gone shitbonkers over how civil and complementary he's been with Obama over the past few days, and I could see this as a weakness to be attacked during the next GOP primary cycle. These pics we see of him and Obama are going to be plastered all over conservative news sites and forums; to many of them, he's coddling Mephistopheles himself.

Here is an interesting fact guys.

Ever since my little sister started voting, she has never voted for the losing Candidate. This year she is voting for Obama again.

The presidential race remained effectively tied on Thursday, with President Barack Obama backed by 47 percent of likely voters and challenger Mitt Romney supported by 46 percent in a Reuters/Ipsos daily tracking poll.

Reuters unchanged. Also, Newsmax went from Romney +1 to tied.

Currently, Obama leads in:

Reuters
RAND
YouGov
HighPoint
Google
CBS
National Journal

Romney leads in:
Ras

Everyone else is tied (Fox, Newsmax, ABC, UPI, Pew)

Romney clearly winning!

Diablos

So no one finds Obama visiting WI so much as being suspect? It's really just about guarding a slimmer-than-expected margin?

I mean that's just way out of left field...

Interesting article on CNN that's not usual bullshit punditry (shocking news). I won't bold parts of it so you lazy 47 percenters can just skim off it.
Editor's note: Historian Kenneth C. Davis is the author of "Don't Know Much About History" and, most recently, "Don't Know Much About the American Presidents." He blogs at dontknowmuch.com

(CNN) -- Is a struggling economy the key ingredient that dooms an incumbent president to a single term?

The carved-in-stone political wisdom seems to suggest it is. Unemployment rates, the price of a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas, and GDP growth are held up by pundits and press as the essential indicators of whether a sitting president keeps the keys to the White House.

The trouble is -- and as history shows -- it's never as simple as jobs, taxes, deficits and debt.

Here's the presidential scoreboard. Starting with George Washington's 1792 reelection, 19 incumbents have been returned to office, while another eight were either denied the nomination or chose not to run, usually over political, not economic, issues. Five presidents died during their first term. That leaves 10 first-term presidents who lost their re-election bids.

Pop quiz: Why did these "one-term wonders" lose?

An economy in the dumpster was a decisive factor in only four of those 10 incumbent losses: Martin Van Buren, Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, and George H.W. Bush were turned out of office largely because of ailing economies.

America's eighth president, Martin Van Buren, had the misfortune of occupying the White House during the Panic of 1837, one of the nation's first and most severe economic downturns. Cast as "Martin Van Ruin" and attacked for his "lavish" White House expenditures and dandified style, Van Buren lost overwhelmingly in 1840 to William Henry Harrison by 234-60 electoral votes.

Nearly a century later, Herbert Hoover had "General Prosperity" on his side in his 1928 victory. But following the Crash of '29, Hoover had to run against "General Depression," as well as Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1932. The economy was the only issue as Roosevelt swept 42 of 48 states and more than 57% of the popular vote.

More recently, Jimmy Carter was saddled with a dysfunctional economy beset by inflation, slow growth, and oil shocks from the Middle East as he faced reelection in 1980. These economic woes were compounded as television ticked off the number of days that Americans were held hostage in Iran and an ill-fated rescue mission ended in disaster. Despite the landmark 1978 Camp David peace accord Carter brokered between Israel and Egypt, it was Ronald Reagan's famous debate question -- "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" -- that doomed the former peanut farmer, crushed in the electoral vote 489-49.

Finally, George H.W. Bush, or "41," fell victim to a sputtering economy in his 1992 loss to Bill Clinton: a race complicated by the presence of third-party candidate Ross Perot. That was when the famous Clinton "war room" gave birth to the phrase, "It's the economy, stupid," which has influenced political thinking ever since.

But consider the flip side: the incumbents who won in spite of an ailing economy.

America's ongoing calamity did not dim the chances of Franklin D. Roosevelt, who presided over a basket-case economy by most measures in 1936.

Depression still ravaged the nation, with unemployment near 17% that year. But the election was a referendum on Roosevelt and his New Deal. At a rally in New York, FDR said of his opponents, "They are unanimous in their hate for me. And I welcome their hatred." Carrying every state but Maine and Vermont, FDR swept to a second term.

Four years later, the economy was still limping with nearly 15% unemployment. But these financial woes were an afterthought, as war in Europe loomed and FDR's bid for an unprecedented third term became the issues. Again, the "Champ" prevailed, convincingly flooring Alf Landon, who had no counterpunch for the Roosevelt magic. FDR's ability to connect with average Americans, a mysterious alchemy, has rarely been matched in presidential history.

And it was a touch of that alchemy that Roosevelt's successor, Harry S. Truman, mustered when his prospects plunged in 1948. Despite succeeding the fallen FDR in 1945 and overseeing the final victory over Germany and Japan, Truman was saddled with inflation, high taxes, labor strife and corruption in Washington.

But he triumphed in one of the most astonishing "off the mat" finishes in political history. Truman did it by embarking on an extraordinary campaign that targeted a "do-nothing Congress" and argued that the Republican opposition was more interested in "the welfare of the better classes."

Finally, what does history say about one-term losers unhorsed in fairly good times?

America's second president, John Adams, and his son, sixth president John Quincy Adams, were the first two incumbents to be sent packing after their terms, for what today are called "likeability" issues. Both presidents served in periods of relative peace and prosperity. But John Adams was turned out of office in 1800 in favor of Thomas Jefferson, largely over politics and personality, not economic policy.

Caricatured as an out-of-touch elitist, his son, John Quincy Adams ran against Andrew Jackson, the "man of the people" you wanted to have a beer with, in the brutal campaign of 1832, one of the nastiest in presidential history and one that had little to do with pocketbook issues.

In 1912, President William Howard Taft was also caught in a tsunami of personality, swamped when his predecessor Theodore Roosevelt tried to regain the "bully pulpit" of the White House. After an epic nominating battle, "Bull Moose" Roosevelt mounted a third-party challenge and the two men split the Republican vote, paving the way for Woodrow Wilson's victory. Taft's defeat after a single term had little to do with dollars and deficits -- except perhaps his charisma deficit.

More recently, Gerald Ford's 1976 loss to Jimmy Carter certainly had an economic element as inflation and recession mingled in "stagflation." But it was other issues -- including his pardon of Richard Nixon, a devastating debate gaffe over the Soviet Union, and the perception that Ford lacked legitimacy as an unelected president -- that were his undoing.

Legitimacy was also a factor after Benjamin Harrison defeated incumbent President Grover Cleveland, the popular winner in 1888, by winning the electoral vote that year. It was a campaign tainted by widespread charges of election fraud. Four years later, Cleveland regained the White House by ousting Harrison, whose personality never won over those convinced that the Republicans had "stolen" the election.

Assuming that the economy is the overwhelmingly decisive element in presidential elections relies on the "fallacy of a single cause." That is a black-and-white thinking style born of a desire for a simple narrative that tidily explains everything, when the real story is always far more complicated.

Highwind

I'm getting tired of this panic crap, especially from Diablos.

Some of the shit I've seen on the Dem forums really makes me want to pull my hair out. -__-

So no one finds Obama visiting WI so much as being suspect? It's really just about guarding a slimmer-than-expected margin?

I think he's focused on 270 this cycle (unlike 2008, which was a rout and they went for building a mandate to govern by) and active defense in WI and OH is the easiest path to 270. They are trying to set things up such that if Romney is going to win, he's going to have to do it with a wide swing in the polls nationwide (essentially) and not just by working swing states.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Reuters unchanged. Also, Newsmax went from Romney +1 to tied.

Currently, Obama leads in:

Reuters
RAND
YouGov
HighPoint
Google
CBS
National Journal

Romney leads in:
Ras

Everyone else is tied (Fox, Newsmax, ABC, UPI, Pew)

Romney clearly winning!
Did Gallup get thrown off the list?

Cloudy

Banned

You can't take anything for granted but yeah, it's obviously close there with Ryan and the Gov. recall failing

Ecotic

He's ahead and he's holding the ball. It's not 2008 where the last few days can be played out in Indiana and North Carolina. Wisconsin, Ohio, and Iowa. He holds those he wins.

HylianTom

Banned
Waahoooo!
Man.. The tide really has turned, hasn't it?

It feels like it'll be another 30 years before voters in Louisiana would come close to approving equality. They'll have to have it forced down their throats via court order if it ever happens any earlier. :(

edit:
And a travel wedding sounds nice.. but I want to get married here at home. At this rate, we're going to be one of those old couples on the news getting married at the courthouse once the ruling comes down.

Hmm, well, I just find it strange that there are no visits to CO or VA but he's going to WI three times.

How are you going to survive presidential elections for the rest of your life, if you're freaking out over Obama visiting Wisconsin for whatever reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom