• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
Bams got my vote for the presidency but I am seriously considering republican for state and local from now on. When I see 8 people on tree cleanup duty and 1 is operating the loader, 2 others are operating chainsaws, and the remaining 5 just standing around I think those lazy workers need to be fired from their cushy government jobs and we should hire Mexicans instead. Also any lawsuit that does not pass the common sense test should be thrown out instantly.

Benghazi has no traction, shouldn't they be focusing on the real issue of insisting all polls that don't show Romney leading by 15 points are corrupt conspiracies

This seems like a selfish way to view this; "no one cares people died, let it go." There was clearly a fuck up, and the administration hasn't handled the aftermath clearly at all.

I wonder if they're scared of making Hillary the sacrificial lamb before the election. She's resigning next year regardless obviously, but still.

AniHawk

Here are the cumulative numbers for the absentee ballot requests:

Dems 291,022 (43.09%)
Reps 208,374 (30.85%)
Inds 175,142 (25.93%)
Oth 864 (negligible)

TOTAL 675,402

Here are the new ballot requests since the 10/31:

Dems +5,170
Reps +4,693
Inds +4,872

Absentee ballot requests going down a bit in general as we get closer to election day.

And now, here are the cumulative numbers for actual ballots cast:

Dems 241,430 (43.31%)
Reps 179,675 (32.23%)
Inds 135,547 (24.32%)
Oth 680 (negligible)

TOTAL 557,432

Here are the ballots cast since the 10/31 report:

Dems +8,968
Reps +8,403
Inds +7,927

Info comes from DailyKos which gets it from the state http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/01/1153637/-Iowa-Early-Voting-Update-11-1-12

basically, romney has to hope that currently, he has a 20-point lead on obama when it comes to independents, and on election day, he wins all those votes by 6 points in order to break 50%.

this is assuming that early voting, which has favored democrats so far, ends today, about 5 days before election day. #ifididthemathright

Cloudy

Banned
I feel they'll have a press conference or something after the election to satisfy everyone. They'd have done it earlier if the GOP wasn't so quick to politicize EVERYTHING. Imagine if 9/11 had happened under a Democrat?

This seems like a selfish way to view this; "no one cares people died, let it go." There was clearly a fuck up, and the administration hasn't handled the aftermath clearly at all.

I wonder if they're scared of making Hillary the sacrificial lamb before the election. She's resigning next year regardless obviously, but still.

Your eternal flame would have been the point person for that decision.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wow, you found 1. Well, at least we know they exist. Not in any of the real swing states, of course.

Actually, based on this result, I'm of the belief/suspicion that Scott is manipulating the numbers. The reason why I'm starting to suspect skulduggery is because Ras is showing Romney movement where virtually every other poll is showing either no movement or slight blue movement (i.e. FL and VA are both moving blue very slightly). Even assuming Ras has a model that's better than the other 8 OH/WI/IO trackers, I literally can't conceive of a way he could be polling that is in line with the actual numbers which aren't being picked up at all by the other 10 companies polling Ohio/Wisconsin/Iowa/Colorado.

markatisu

basically, romney has to hope that currently, he has a 20-point lead on obama when it comes to independents, and on election day, he wins all those votes by 6 points in order to break 50%.

this is assuming that early voting, which has favored democrats so far, ends today, about 5 days before election day. #ifididthemathright

Iowa voting deadlines

Friday, November 2 Deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail

Saturday, November 3 Auditor's office open until 5 p.m. for in-person absentee voting

Monday, November 5 Last day to vote in-person by absentee ballot at county auditor's office

Tuesday, November 6 Election Day
Polls open 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. statewide

nib95

Banned
Bams got my vote for the presidency but I am seriously considering republican for state and local from now on. When I see 8 people on tree cleanup duty and 1 is operating the loader, 2 others are operating chainsaws, and the remaining 5 just standing around I think those lazy workers need to be fired from their cushy government jobs and we should hire Mexicans instead. Also any lawsuit that does not pass the common sense test should be thrown out instantly.

Might be inefficient, but your taxes (which are not that high to begin with) going towards employing people should be low on your list of worries. At least these people have been given jobs...

Loudninja

Paul Ryan Releases 90-Minute High-Endurance Budget-Slashing Video
WASHINGTON—Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan took a short break from his busy campaign schedule Wednesday to announce the official release of his new 90-minute high-endurance Extreme Budget Shredder instructional video.

According to a press release, the video will allow fiscal conservatives to follow along with the Wisconsin legislator as he guides them through a wide variety of exercises in austerity designed to “trim those government expenditures” and “burn away all that unwanted debt.”

“Prepare to see your budget get lighter and leaner than it’s ever been,” Ryan says in the introduction to the video, wearing a tank top, compression shorts, and a hands-free microphone. “It won’t be easy, but with me guiding you every step of the way, pretty soon those $1.1 trillion deficits will be nothing but a distant memory.”

“All right, now, let’s get that heart rate up with a set of light transportation infrastructure cuts,” Ryan continues as he demonstrates how to do away with costly bridge and highway repairs to a room of seven men and women dressed in formal business attire. “Only $10 billion more to go. C’mon, keep it going! Quick breaths! Reduce those allocations!”

Promising to “increase balance and stability,” Ryan’s program claims it is specifically designed to target the budget’s core using a “dynamic reduction approach” to eliminate fat from the government’s major spending areas.

The video reportedly features “over 70 new and turbocharged financial reforms,” ranging from 30-second-interval stimulus plunges to quicker and more explosive discretionary-spending chops aimed at “getting rid of all those dreaded earmarks.” The program also concentrates on trimming green energy subsidies, using Ryan’s trademark “Solyndra slashes” to quickly drop investments in geothermal, wind, and solar power research.

“Oh, yeah, we’re really in the groove now,” Ryan says a half hour into the video, after he finishes running up the eligibility age for Social Security. “Don’t forget to keep stretching those tax dollars, and remember that the more you feel the burn, the faster you’re shedding those Supplementary Security Income plans. Man, that feels good, huh?”
http://www.theonion.com/articles/paul-ryan-releases-90minute-highendurance-budgetsl,30196/
Aweosme

KHarvey16

At the end of this election a lot polls and pundits will have to answer questions if their results don't match.

More pundits than polls. Most polls are telling the same story. Just a couple will have some explaining to do(and won't), along with most pundits it seems like(who also will not be asked to answer for their sins).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At the end of this election a lot polls and pundits will have to answer questions if their results don't match.

Well, if Silver turns out to be right, Gallup and Ras are going to be "discredited," but it won't make a difference since there's a huge market for confirmation bias.

I wonder why Romney hasn't been asked whether he'd pursue criminal charges (if needed) against the Obama admin on Benghazi if he wins - similar to the demands liberals had on charging Bush officials in 2007/2008. It would be interesting to get Romney's answer

HylianTom

Banned

The funny thing is.. I'm a much, much more conservative voters when it comes to local issues, especially on taxes and spending.

I'm also very mindful that we're heading into a future of less, and we need to make our community design/policy decisions in line with this. I'm all about making my home town more resilient for when energy and water prices go up, when the economy stalls, etc. I ding both parties for pushing the mathematically silly myth that we can grow and grow and grow infinitely on a finite planet. Growth will not solve what ails us.

Angry Grimace

I wonder why Romney hasn't been asked whether he'd pursue criminal charges (if needed) against the Obama admin on Benghazi if he wins - similar to the demands liberals had on charging Bush officials in 2007/2008. It would be interesting to get Romney's answer

Because that question isn't calculated to gain him any votes anywhere and because candidates are very careful to avoid being asked any questions they don't have sanitized answer to this close to election day.

You should check out the disparity between red and blue states

Spoiler alert: blue states do better

Because that question isn't calculated to gain him any votes anywhere and because candidates are very careful to avoid being asked any questions they don't have sanitized answer to this close to election day.

Yea but he's taken questions from voters since mid September, and has done interviews with right leaning journalists/Fox. Plenty of opportunities for that question

ezrarh

You know what? It doesn't really matter. The media isn't going to keep track of itself. You can be wrong every single time and have a job once you've established yourself as a pundit.

I'm sure that when pressed he'd agree with Obama that we shouldn't litigate the past, and that after the election he'd seek to work across the aisle in a spirit on unity, something that Obama probably wanted to do, but never had the leadership or acumen to do effectively.

Owzers

I'd only be for criminal charges if Hannity got to be in the prosecution.

I'm sure that when pressed he'd agree with Obama that we shouldn't litigate the past, and that after the election he'd seek to work across the aisle in a spirit on unity, something that Obama probably wanted to do, but never had the leadership or acumen to do effectively.

Agreed. I'd imagine it would disappoint many conservatives, as Obama's refusal to litigate Bush officials disappointed liberals.

I'd imagine the "don't re-litigate the past" thing is here to stay, as is the ever expanding power of the executive branch.

Obama +2 in Google today.

Obama leads:

Rand + 6
National Journal + 5
HPU: + 3
Google +2
ABC +1
CBS +1
Reuters + 1
YouGov + 1

Total + 20

Romney leads:
Ras + 2

Total + 2

Ties:
Fox
UPI
Newsmax
Pew

Total = Obama +1.4

Yes, I ignored Gallup. They haven't polled in 3 days and their last survey includes over a week ago data. I didn't include anyone that suspended, including PPP.

Obama's lead is right in line with Silver's projection. Looks like an Obama +2 to me.

Owzers

O'Reilly starting off with the liberal biased media covering up for Obama on Benghazi. No mention on the new CIA timeline. No need really, there are talking points to be had.

ZSaV7.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yea but he's taken questions from voters since mid September, and has done interviews with right leaning journalists/Fox. Plenty of opportunities for that question

He had the option of hammering Obama three different ways on Libya:

1. You didn't call it an act of terror
2. You didn't offer security when it was asked for
3. You are being unclear and ambiguous when describing what happened

He chose 1. It blew up. How could he possibly go back to it?

O'Reilly starting off with the liberal biased media covering up for Obama on Benghazi. No mention on the new CIA timeline. No need really, there are talking points to be had.

I guess they're hoping that if they talk about it enough, then the other networks will have to join in eventually so that they don't look "liberal."

markatisu

I guess they're hoping that if they talk about it enough, then the other networks will have to join in eventually so that they don't look "liberal."

They are just setting up to use that as a major excuse why Obama wins on Tuesday, just like they will throw Sandy into the mix and just paint as it him stealing the election

apana

Don't know if anyone cares but Bob Beckel of Fox News said he expects about 290 electoral votes for Obama and for Mitt Romney to win the popular vote by 200,000.

jbug617

Banned
Don't know if anyone cares but Bob Beckel of Fox News said he expects about 290 electoral votes for Obama and for Mitt Romney to win the popular vote by 200,000.

I think that scenario is almost realistic. Charlie Cook also says that a split election is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom