• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

"You're going to my high school," Amira Nasrallah told the vice president, referring to his event at nearby Lakewood High School.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/politics/B.../17262724/-/2nw784/-/index.html#ixzz2BIyS9vcF
Hm, this is disconcerting.
But George Will told me Romney would take Minnesota. I'm not buying it.
I know how you feel.

This is what is has come to huh?

He constantly perpetuates this fantasy reality where he is the champion of change, he is the only guy able to fix "the system" or help everyone, and whenever he's met with any hardship or opposition he either tries to go further up the ladder of power or can't function. He was a community organizer for a bit, then left because change wasn't happening fast enough. Then he became a state senator, and immediately tried to jump to the US congress because local change wasn't happening fast enough. Then he jumped to the senate, where by all accounts he was frustrated by (once again) how slow progress was.

Now he's president and there's nowhere else for him to run to, and no more ladders to climb. Multiple accounts suggest he gets sarcastic and testy whenever he is challenged, he can't negotiate with his own party, he's unable to work with even moderate republican lawmakers, etc. He seems unwilling to approach change from a perspective of laying seeds/groundwork, and instead expects it to happen immediately based off his own charm and skill. That Vanity Fair piece mentioned that Obama constantly seems to be very detached from events, as if he's watching himself from an outside writers' perspective. I understand he doesn't like playing the Washington "game" but at some point you have to put your own interests aside and go along to get along to a degree. Obama seems to simply not care about any of that.

He strikes me as a real life Carcetti from The Wire

Kusagari

best thing to come out of this FL mess would be people here seriously having the long overdue talk about impeaching scott, but that wont happen

The only way to impeach in Florida is to have the house do it.

So it will never happen.

You can't even recall a governor in this state.

It's a complete joke, really.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Obama rarely strikes me as genuine. Seems like a narcissistic to me.

LOL sure. I'll bite.

You know what Obama's problem is? He's not narcissistic. He's really incredibly genuine.

But to me his problem is that he doesn't know how to relate to half or more of America in terms they're comfortable with. He's actually smart and understands the words he uses. But his "otherness" (among other things) causes people to view everything he says through a veil of suspicion. And tempts people to work his words into a particular narrative.

He has a certain way of speaking and applying humor, that I know a lot of people see as arrogance. Being cocky. He's inviting people to laugh with him at how silly we could all be if we acted as stupidly and unthinkingly as those who would manipulate us believe we are.

... and the sad truth is, a lot of us are actually that easily manipulated. Obama has never really found a comfortable middle ground between acting intentionally stupid and talking over people's heads. He isn't very good at appearing disarming to the American people. Which is where the catch-22 comes in.

As an article recently observed, Obama is stuck in a position of being the last thing a lot of Americans are prepared to deal with: a literate, intelligent, intellectual black guy. He isn't easily pigeonholed into a number of acceptable caricatures: he's not the cartoonish and exaggerated but ultimately loveable and harmless black preacher. He's not a smooth, polished, yet shallow and irrelevant young-to-middle aged black actor from Hollywood. And he's not Morgan Freeman - America's favorite sophisticated, erudite, smart-sounding black man. Who is quite safe because he only pretends to be an important and influential black person with power in the movies, when he's being movie-president and/or movie-god.

And even if Obama were not black (because this isn't just a racial thing, to be sure), he still doesn't quite fit right. He's too young, too physically fit, and even if inadvertently shows off those facts a bit too often. He's too smart sounding in all the wrong ways and all the uncomfortable areas. He isn't "presidential" as a lot of Americans expect that to read.

He constantly perpetuates this fantasy reality where he is the champion of change, he is the only guy able to fix "the system" or help everyone, and whenever he's met with any hardship or opposition he either tries to go further up the ladder of power or can't function. He was a community organizer for a bit, then left because change wasn't happening fast enough. Then he became a state senator, and immediately tried to jump to the US congress because local change wasn't happening fast enough. Then he jumped to the senate, where by all accounts he was frustrated by (once again) how slow progress was.

Now he's president and there's nowhere else for him to run to, and no more ladders to climb. Multiple accounts suggest he gets sarcastic and testy whenever he is challenged, he can't negotiate with his own party, he's unable to work with even moderate republican lawmakers, etc. He seems unwilling to approach change from a perspective of laying seeds/groundwork, and instead expects it to happen immediately based off his own charm and skill. That Vanity Fair piece mentioned that Obama constantly seems to be very detached from events, as if he's watching himself from an outside writers' perspective. I understand he doesn't like playing the Washington "game" but at some point you have to put your own interests aside and go along to get along to a degree. Obama seems to simply not care about any of that.

He strikes me as a real life Carcetti from The Wire

Did you copy/paste this on "Hillary is 44" as well?

ANYONE THAT RUNS FOR THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE LAND IS NARCISSISTIC.

ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A BLACK MAN NAMED BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.

YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SELF WORTH YOU GOTTA HAVE TO PULL THAT SHIT OFF?

ISOM

LOL sure. I'll bite.

You know what Obama's problem is? He's not narcissistic. He's really incredibly genuine.

But to me his problem is that he doesn't know how to relate to half or more of America in terms they're comfortable with. He's actually smart and understands the words he uses. But his "otherness" (among other things) causes people to view everything he says through a veil of suspicion. And tempts people to work his words into a particular narrative.

He has a certain way of speaking and applying humor, that I know a lot of people see as arrogance. Being cocky. He's inviting people to laugh with him at how silly we could all be if we acted as stupidly and unthinkingly as those who would manipulate us believe we are.

... and the sad truth is, a lot of us are actually that easily manipulated. Obama has never really found a comfortable middle ground between acting intentionally stupid and talking over people's heads. He isn't very good at appearing disarming to the American people. Which is where the catch-22 comes in.

As an article recently observed, Obama is stuck in a position of being the last thing a lot of Americans are prepared to deal with: a literate, intelligent, intellectual black guy. He isn't easily pigeonholed into a number of acceptable caricatures: he's not the cartoonish and exaggerated but ultimately loveable and harmless black preacher. He's not a smooth, polished, yet shallow and irrelevant young-to-middle aged black actor from Hollywood. And he's not Morgan Freeman - America's favorite sophisticated, erudite, smart-sounding black man. Who is quite safe because he only pretends to be an important and influential black person with power in the movies, when he's being movie-president and/or movie-god.

And even if Obama were not black (because this isn't just a racial thing, to be sure), he still doesn't quite fit right. He's too young, too physically fit, and even if inadvertently shows off those facts a bit too often. He's too smart sounding in all the wrong ways and all the uncomfortable areas. He isn't "presidential" as a lot of Americans expect that to read.

Spot on, what other people see as fake I see a mask he has put over himself to fit a certain image that he wants to portray to the american public but doesn't mean he is fake. If anything it comes off as fake because sometimes I think he has to try to find a middle ground for his personality all the time.

Biden comes off as more authentic because he 100 percent embraces his loving, fighter, doofus, uncle personality while obama struggles with his at times.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The election would be called exactly the same time as '08, when the west coast polls are closing.

You are most likely going to have a long ass time to set up victory shots.

You think Ohio and such will be called before 11 et?

R.I.P Gaborn. You will be missed.

This is something that always bothered me...a lot of people I know on the internet don't know me IRL, so I'm a little afraid that if something did happen to me, no one would ever know.

Steve Singiser ‏@stevesingiser
Minnesota. RT @5hauser: KSTP/SUSA poll shows Obama leading Romney 52% to 41%. MoE +-4.%. Obama lead was 7 pts earlier this week. Now 11.

Scaaaaryyy.. Minnesota's close! Not.

He should have picked Tim Pawlenty as his running mate.
He still would have lost just like Paul Ryan is losing Wisconsin.

HylianTom

Banned
R.I.P Gaborn. You will be missed.

This is something that always bothered me...a lot of people I know on the internet don't know me IRL, so I'm a little afraid that if something did happen to me, no one would ever know.

Yup. Same here.

For the record, here and now:
GAF has been a big part of my life for more than 5 years now. I post plenty enough, going in phases.. sometimes in Gaming, sometimes in OT, depending on where my tunnel-vision is focused. My partner - who gets quite jealous of you guys, especially when we decide to stay in instead of going out - calls GAF "the other man." If I'm not on GAF in some form for over a month, I'm likely gone.

---

And yeah.. I definitely think we should know Ohio's fate by 11PM, CST on Tuesday night. That'll be it.

Crossposting:

A highschool friend of mine is actively arguing that the measures done to curtail voting in Florida is totally cool because "people can just commute to their voting station" and "that's what election day is for anyways".

What the FUCK.

--

I'm fucking furious. I'd go and protest myself if I weren't on the other side of the country.
Um... That's what Election is for. Most counties seem to have a handful of early voting locations, on Election Day, polling locations will outnumber Starbucks.

ivysaur12

Banned
Democrats have a +7 on favorability nationally, Republicans have a -2. I wonder how that will translate into House seats...

Sorry, I really can't handle this Gaborn news

Diablos

RIP Gaborn if true. :(

---

Romney should be sued for letting kids freeze at a rally. WTF. Just shows how desperate they are. Dying to have the best possible crowd photo op.

This guy will be the most morally and ethically bankrupt Pres if elected, I'm fully convinced now.

Do you guys really think FL is done because of the lines getting shut down? They can come back, no?

hym

Banned

The Journalists that broke the story on twitter are refining what happened, they are saying Secret Service didn't allow people to leave because of security concerns and Romney volunteers poorly communicated/enforced that call.

People with kids can leave now, they had to wait so long in the cold because Romney was delayed.

https://twitter.com/JFKucinich/status/265251361267011584 USA Today
@ashleyrparker notes that people were not being let out because of security concerns

Man just pulled me aside and said "My son is on the verge of hypothermia" just as staffer starts letting people out a few at a time.

HylianTom

Banned
Democrats have a +7 on favorability nationally, Republicans have a -2. I wonder how that will translate into House seats...

I doubt that the Dems will get the House, but they could gain enough seats to put the Republicans in a bit of a bind. Absolute discipline may be necessary to the point where some of their party members are put into really delicate, awkward spots when certain votes come-up.

ivysaur12

Banned
RIP Gaborn if true. :(

---

Romney should be sued for letting kids freeze at a rally. WTF. Just shows how desperate they are. Dying to have the best possible crowd photo op.

This guy will be the most morally and ethically bankrupt Pres if elected, I'm fully convinced now.

Do you guys really think FL is done because of this? They can come back, no?

It's true. Confirmed.

I doubt that the Dems will get the House, but they could gain enough seats to put the Republicans in a bit of a bind. Absolute discipline may be necessary to the point where some of their party members are put into really delicate, awkward spots when certain votes come-up.

Yea my hope is at least breaking 200. 210 would be amazing. Winning I don't see happening. Though keeping the presidency, holding the senate (or picking up seats), plus a pick up in the house will I hope put a bit of pressure on the GOP, especially the more moderate members.

If 2010 is any indication, it won't do much good - Democrats were better liked than Republicans then too. Although they were both negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom