• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

It's not a simple vote, each state gets one vote, I didn't run the numbers to see who is going to be ahead in that case, but I would imagine the GOP as they control more of the smaller states.

Maddow says that with the tie, Romney would have won 29 states, I believe.

My sister forwarded me this e-mail to me from David Vitter:

Dear Friend,

A little over two years ago, President Obama signed the Dodd-Frank bill that promised to end taxpayer-funded bailouts, particularly related to the big Wall Street banks. Supporters of this legislation argued that government regulators needed more authority to deal with the largest financial firms. But instead, Dodd-Frank actually institutionalized the too-big-to-fail culture as it still prevails today from Wall Street to Washington. And without serious financial reform, there is no end in sight.

Last week, I wrote an editorial in The Wall Street Journal that outlines the type of systematic reforms we need to really put an end to bailout mania. We need to reform the core structure of the financial system, and we should start by increasing the required amount of capital the megabanks must keep on their books.

This is not complicated finance. If a huge bank wants to provide loans and investments for billions of dollars, then they should be required to keep a certain amount of reserves on hand to absorb any rapid or sudden market turns. They certainly shouldn’t empty their bank vaults, fail and then turn to the U.S. government for a bailout because they didn’t keep some emergency savings. Louisiana families certainly have to keep emergency savings – why shouldn’t these megabanks?

That’s why I’m arguing for higher capital requirements for megabanks, instead of the over-regulation brought by the Dodd-Frank law. This will make sure the megabanks are either far better able to weather the next crisis without a bailout, or it will create incentives for them to spin off parts of their business into separate entities to handle large business clients.

These sorts of more fundamental reforms will allow us to simultaneously lessen the need for and crushing burden of hyper-detailed, unclear or conflicting over-regulation. This is essential to ensure a healthy financial sector, a newly revived economy, and the survival of the valuable, unique tradition of community and regional banks in America.

We still need to address the problems created by Dodd-Frank and permanently end the current too-big-to-fail culture in Washington and on Wall Street. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on these issues and the other issues most important to you. Please contact me with your ideas at any of my state offices or in my Washington office. You can also reach me online at http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/.

Sincerely,

David Vitter
United States Senator

Yes, let's not try and prevent another crisis from happening. Let's only ensure that, when the next crisis happens, the banks won't go bankrupt. That's our biggest concern!

Yeah, I mean, who even cares about that crusty piece of toilet paper?
I'm not laughing at the Constitution, I'm laughing at you. Such an equal protection claim already failed under Bush v. Gore.

How about my equal protection? I totally get fucked by my voting having less impact than a person in Alaska. But not all complaints get addressed.

Cloudy

Banned
You know what, I'm gonna go against the grain on Mourdock here. If you're a hardcore pro-lifer like he is, I don't see how he has anything to apologize for. He obviously wasn't saying God plans for people to be raped. This is classic gotcha and I don't really like it even when it happens to GOPers.

That said, fuck 'em lol

Gotchaye

When I say "count," I'm not talking about the actual tallying of votes, but the weighing of them done by each state. Whereas the unequal weight the EC give the votes is Constitutional, my position is that the Compact will weigh member votes X times and non-member votes X+1 times in an unconstitutional manner. Yeah, it's legalistic, but then the court system that decides these things usually is.
But this isn't at all true if you're not talking about actual tallying. The compact states only do anything resembling this if there are 270 EVs' worth of states in the compact. But in that case the winner of the election is entirely determined by the winner of the national popular vote and the electoral college is entirely controlled by the compact states. The electors from the non-compact states are irrelevant to the procedure. So there's no problematic weighting going on, except for the procedurally irrelevant margins in the EC.

I'm sure that some judges could be found to rule against this, in the same way that it was possible to find some judges to rule against Obamacare, but it seems obvious to me that the only reason this sort of objection would have a prayer in the Supreme Court is that the Court can't be trusted to do its job honestly. And I think it's important to distinguish between what's unconstitutional and what would lose in a 5-4 decision in the Court.

Cloudy

Banned
Obama awoke to the sounds of cheers. He had barely managed to steal two hours of sleep before hearing the roar of the crowd, thousands of young people cheering his name. He looked around his empty hotel room and sighed; it was moments like these where he wished he still smoked. During campaign season it was always hard for Obama to sleep, and when he did sleep his tortured dreams were dominated by the voices of rallies he had attended earlier. The noise stayed with him, even during his quietest moments.

Slowly, Obama arose from the bed and paced around his room. It was 4AM and Barack Obama was alone. He had campaigned earlier in the day with his wife, but she had flown back to Washington after the rally without saying goodbye; he had asked her to stay the night with him, but she had sarcastically noted that he was a big boy now and could sleep by himself. Her barb had hurt the president, but after 20 years of similar insults he was used to it.

Depressed, Obama slowly scrolled through his Blackberry looking for someone, anyone to talk to.

----

Hillary Clinton heard her husband's voice for the first time in weeks. As she casually flipped channels she came across Bill looking straight into her soul through the television - championing Barack Obama in a campaign ad. President Barack Obama. She had worked alongside him for four years now, yet the title still gave her a slight feeling of agitation. If all had gone as planned, she would be running for re-election right now as Senator Obama rallied young voters for her cause. The loss still stung after all these years, but especially on this sleepless night.

And yet she knew her irritation with her boss was masking her true feelings. Obama had proven her wrong over the last four years: he was strong where she predicted weakness, steady where she anticipated confusion. The job had aged the president and yet his youthful energy and intellect remained. He was still a young man, and even the most stressful moments had not robbed him of his youth.

Her young male aides often joked and laughed with her, but she could tell they thought of her as an old woman now. She tried imagining being with them but even the thought was disgusted her. Her endometriosis made sex painful, and the last thing she needed was a young stud rushing things. More importantly, young men often lacked the attributes she cherished: compassion, romantic, a calm spirit as comfortable alone with her by the fireplace as he would be in a crowd; the opposite of her impulsive, selfish husband. As she sat alone, conjuring the attributes of her perfect man, she realized she was describing someone she knew. She had known for years, yet her anger and jealousy had blocked the truth. Tears filled her eyes. The phone rang.

wellness-tools-and-resources-oh-boy.gif

KHarvey16

Meh. He wouldn't do anything but break Senate ties. What'd be the point?

It would be incredibly interesting. The President and Vice President, and their relationship certainly, aren't defined(culturally, practically even) merely by the legal powers the law bestows upon them!

Tamanon

Banned
Holy shit, Key & Peele's President Obama and Luther sketches are hilarious. New one about the debate this week, great turnaround.

KHarvey16

If the President and VP were of opposite parties and thus differing agendas, the VP's only role in anything would be that which was legally required, i.e. breaking ties in the Senate.

You're not using your imagination. The Senate would be majority democrat as well. You really don't see how this becomes interesting, culturally and politically? C'mon.

Gotchaye

If the President and VP were of opposite parties and thus differing agendas, the VP's only role in anything would be that which was legally required, i.e. breaking ties in the Senate.

Well, that and function generally as "the President of the Senate". What sort of ability to screw with the Senate does that position come with? Suppose Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and presidency. What could Biden do in his capacity as PotS?

HylianTom

Banned
Meh. He wouldn't do anything but break Senate ties. What'd be the point?
Imagine him making faces at the camera during the State of the Union, doing "he's cuckoo" gestures at certain points, etc. And we all know that Uncle Joe can't stop himself from just smiling when he hears ridiculous things. It'd be hysterical.

But I'd rather get some court appointees named. Entertainment would be a cold comfort when there are potential Scalia clones being nominated.

Would the house even pick romney in that case? Theyd probably go with newt or something.

And with a split executive, imagine the leaks!

So many leaks!

Cloudy

Banned
http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_new...orida-voters-theyre-not-eligible-to-vote?lite

The FBI and U.S. Postal Service agents are investigating bogus official-looking letters sent to voters in at least 28 Florida counties questioning their citizenship and their eligibility to vote, NBC News has learned.

David Couvertier, a spokesman for the FBI in Tampa, said his office opened up an investigation into the possible attempt at voter intimidation on Wednesday after receiving reports that eligible voters throughout the state have received the letters.

"We're taking it as a serious situation," he said. "We're looking at everything from civil rights violations to election fraud -- to everything in between."

Chris Cate, a spokesman for the Florida Secretary of State's Office, told NBC News, "We believe these letters appear to meet the standard of voter intimidation." Between 50 and 100 such letters have been reported to state officials so far, "and those are only the ones we know about. We're encouraging people to come forward."

This is fucking bullshit

saelz8

So I'm watching Lawrence O'Donnell, and I know I've seen this Martha Plimpton somewhere before.

BAM!
iKM3L.jpg

Goonies are GOOD ENOUGH!

Squirrel Killer do you still believe Obama will win? iirc you have worked on political campaigns before
I have worked on political campaigns before, but that doesn't give me any particular insight to how this particular election will go. The last presidential I had "inside info" on was 2004. That said, I think Obama wins handily. Since I think you've asked me this before, you might remember that this is a slight retreat from my previous "Obama wins even if he's found in bed with a dead girl and a live boy" position. I have Obama in the 320-330 EC range, even in the worst case scenario, I don't see Obama dropping much below 300. I think even the idea that Romney might win the popular vote is far-fetched, but it's possible enough that I wouldn't bet against it.

Here's a thing to remember, W. got re-elected. This country likes incumbents.

But if there's no other substantial difference than that the first is known to be Constitutional and the second isn't yet, surely that just shows it can serve as a precedent?
Well... the case that explicitly stated the EC inequality was Constitutional, explicitly denied that it justified other inequalities.

Gray v Sanders said:
"We think the analogies to the electoral college, to districting and redistricting, and to other phases of the problems of representation in state or federal legislatures or conventions are inapposite. The inclusion of the electoral college in the Constitution, as the result of specific historical concerns, validated the collegiate principle despite its inherent numerical inequality, but implied nothing about the use of an analogous system by a State in a statewide election. No such specific accommodation of the latter was ever undertaken, and therefore no validation of its numerical inequality ensued."

Yeah, that's about as explicit as legalese gets. ;)

I'm not laughing at the Constitution, I'm laughing at you. Such an equal protection claim already failed under Bush v. Gore.
Can you be more specific the per curium, if anything, supports my position.

How about my equal protection? I totally get fucked by my voting having less impact than a person in Alaska. But not all complaints get addressed.
Asked and answered. See Gray v Sanders.

I have worked on political campaigns before, but that doesn't give me any particular insight to how this particular election will go. The last presidential I had "inside info" on was 2004. That said, I think Obama wins handily. Since I think you've asked me this before, you might remember that this is a slight retreat from my previous "Obama wins even if he's found in bed with a dead girl and a live boy" position. I have Obama in the 320-330 EC range, even in the worst case scenario, I don't see Obama dropping much below 300. I think even the idea that Romney might win the popular vote is far-fetched, but it's possible enough that I wouldn't bet against it.
Forgive me for being nosy, but can you share what inside info you had in 2004? I'm intrigued.

Obama awoke to the sounds of cheers. He had barely managed to steal two hours of sleep before hearing the roar of the crowd, thousands of young people cheering his name. He looked around his empty hotel room and sighed; it was moments like these where he wished he still smoked. During campaign season it was always hard for Obama to sleep, and when he did sleep his tortured dreams were dominated by the voices of rallies he had attended earlier. The noise stayed with him, even during his quietest moments.

Slowly, Obama arose from the bed and paced around his room. It was 4AM and Barack Obama was alone. He had campaigned earlier in the day with his wife, but she had flown back to Washington after the rally without saying goodbye; he had asked her to stay the night with him, but she had sarcastically noted that he was a big boy now and could sleep by himself. Her barb had hurt the president, but after 20 years of similar insults he was used to it.

Depressed, Obama slowly scrolled through his Blackberry looking for someone, anyone to talk to.

----

Hillary Clinton heard her husband's voice for the first time in weeks. As she casually flipped channels she came across Bill looking straight into her soul through the television - championing Barack Obama in a campaign ad. President Barack Obama. She had worked alongside him for four years now, yet the title still gave her a slight feeling of agitation. If all had gone as planned, she would be running for re-election right now as Senator Obama rallied young voters for her cause. The loss still stung after all these years, but especially on this sleepless night.

And yet she knew her irritation with her boss was masking her true feelings. Obama had proven her wrong over the last four years: he was strong where she predicted weakness, steady where she anticipated confusion. The job had aged the president and yet his youthful energy and intellect remained. He was still a young man, and even the most stressful moments had not robbed him of his youth.

Her young male aides often joked and laughed with her, but she could tell they thought of her as an old woman now. She tried imagining being with them but even the thought was disgusted her. Her endometriosis made sex painful, and the last thing she needed was a young stud rushing things. More importantly, young men often lacked the attributes she cherished: compassion, romantic, a calm spirit as comfortable alone with her by the fireplace as he would be in a crowd; the opposite of her impulsive, selfish husband. As she sat alone, conjuring the attributes of her perfect man, she realized she was describing someone she knew. She had known for years, yet her anger and jealousy had blocked the truth. Tears filled her eyes. The phone rang.

Um....

Would the house even pick romney in that case? Theyd probably go with newt or something.

And with a split executive, imagine the leaks!

So many leaks!

Just talking theoretically, could this be used to get around the 22nd Amendment? I mean, if they decided to appoint George W. Bush for a third term, would that be enough to get around the word "elected"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom