• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis appears to be pushing reform on contraception/marriage/homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the church do change it's position on these issues anytime soon I wonder how it'll effect the christian community, especially with the older members.

Dead Man

Not to crush the dreams of anyone who is hoping otherwise, but there is a 0% chance of this synod changing any Catholic teachings on sexual morality or contraception or marriage, let alone abortion. That cherry-picking of Francis quotes in the BBC article is woefully misleading.

The actual big news when it comes to this synod is the possibility of a change in Church discipline (not doctrine) on the issue of admitting the divorced and remarried to Communion.

The Catholic Church teaches that sacramental marriages are indissoluble by anything but death, and that divorce is impossible. One's first marriage is presumed to be valid and sacramental. As a result, it follows that anyone who is divorced and remarried is living in adultery.

Catholics can apply for an annulment, which is a declaration that the first marriage was never valid in the first place (either because the person didn't get married in the Church properly, or because he/she didn't properly understand the sacrament, or something like that). If the annulment is granted, the person is free to get "remarried." If the tribunal that reviews the case determines that the first marriage is valid, however, then the person cannot get remarried without committing adultery. Those who are divorced and remarried are thus not allowed to receive Communion, unless the couple agree to live together celibately.

You can see how this presents a serious pastoral problem for the Church. On the one hand, the teaching of Christ that marriages are permanent has certain inescapable implications. On the other hand, Catholics who are divorced and remarried are in a very difficult position.

A cardinal named Cardinal Kasper has thus proposed a relaxing of the discipline that the divorced and remarried are not allowed to receive Communion. What exact form this relaxing might take is up in the air, and many bishops oppose it on the grounds that it doesn't really seem consistent with the Catholic teaching that marriages are indissoluble.

I hope I did a decent job of explaining all that.

Good explanation, if a bit of a letdown. Still, baby steps and all that I suppose.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://wwwgordonconwell.com/netcommunity/CSGCResources/ChristianityinitsGlobalContext.pdf

Christianity is waning in Europe and most places where it's more liberal on social issues. People don't go to church to learn about sexual liberation and play ballads with a guitar, they expect firm principles and guidance in a rapidly-changing world. See how Christianity is still going strong in more conservative places, e.g. Africa and how Islam is the fastest-growing religion.

Churches are going to vanish either way, Catholic or others. Doesn't matter what the stances are, eventually everyone can tell their books have no more insight to provide us than non-religious people or documents could. There's no place for organizational doctrine in the 21st century.

Gotchaye

The American right doesn't really follow the Pope nor particularly care what he has to say.

I don't think this is really true. Conservative Protestants have grown very close to conservative Catholics politically in the years since deciding to organize around abortion and religious freedom to discriminate. Catholics now provide an intellectual backbone for social conservatism - they have available what look like reasonable arguments against things like gay marriage and abortion that aren't just obviously religious preference or outright bigotry. Protestants, especially evangelicals, tend to lack these in their own traditions because of more of an emphasis on the idea that God's message is accessible to everyone who reads the Bible or similar - they have much less of a tradition of trying to apply reason to faith. It's notable that a huge number of social conservatives who serve as intellectuals in the movement are Catholic, including a bunch of Supreme Court justices, a bunch of the folks at National Review, and leaders of organizations like Maggie Gallagher. Hell, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Megyn Kelly, and a whole bunch more at Fox are all Catholic. Cardinal Timothy Dolan is a frequent guest on various shows as a socially conservative voice of authority. I think probably the recent turning of conservative Protestants against contraception, or at least the right to it, is due to Catholic influence.

And so you really do see lots of people on the right freaking out when the Pope says something that's pro- social justice. Not only are lots of people with soapboxes Catholic themselves, but in general people look to the Church to provide a coherent philosophical system that justifies their political beliefs, and the suggestion that that system requires being nice to poor people is very threatening. I think the Pope coming out for gay marriage (which will not happen) would cause a pretty major blow up.

I don't think this is really true. Conservative Protestants have grown very close to conservative Catholics politically in the years since deciding to organize around abortion and religious freedom to discriminate. Catholics now provide an intellectual backbone for social conservatism - they have available what look like reasonable arguments against things like gay marriage and abortion that aren't just obviously religious preference or outright bigotry. Protestants, especially evangelicals, tend to lack these in their own traditions because of more of an emphasis on the idea that God's message is accessible to everyone who reads the Bible or similar - they have much less of a tradition of trying to apply reason to faith. It's notable that a huge number of social conservatives who serve as intellectuals in the movement are Catholic, including a bunch of Supreme Court justices, a bunch of the folks at National Review, and leaders of organizations like Maggie Gallagher. Cardinal Timothy Dolan is a frequent guest on various shows as a socially conservative voice of authority. I think probably the recent turning of conservative Protestants against contraception, or at least the right to it, is due to Catholic influence.

And so you really do see lots of people on the right freaking out when the Pope says something that's pro- social justice. Not only are lots of people with soapboxes Catholic themselves, but in general people look to the Church to provide a coherent philosophical system that justifies their political beliefs, and the suggestion that that system requires being nice to poor people is very threatening. I think the Pope coming out for gay marriage (which will not happen) would cause a pretty major blow up.

Concerning the last few sentences; if that were to happen it would be the best time to be alive at least for me.

Trust me, gay marriage and contraception will only be words from the Pope.

It will make it easier for laws to change in the U.S. but not in the third world.

Too many ppl have suffered from these policies for them to suddenly change their "opinion" that they're wrong all along.

"True believers" will suffer from too much cognitive dissonance and likewise the ppl who already disagree will see how they have no integrity to stand by their moral crusade because Catholic numbers are dwindling and they don't want to become small in numbers.

DrMcNulty

Not to crush the dreams of anyone who is hoping otherwise, but there is a 0% chance of this synod changing any Catholic teachings on sexual morality or contraception or marriage, let alone abortion. That cherry-picking of Francis quotes in the BBC article is woefully misleading.

The actual big news when it comes to this synod is the possibility of a change in Church discipline (not doctrine) on the issue of admitting the divorced and remarried to Communion.

The Catholic Church teaches that sacramental marriages are indissoluble by anything but death, and that divorce is impossible. One's first marriage is presumed to be valid and sacramental. As a result, it follows that anyone who is divorced and remarried is living in adultery.

Catholics can apply for an annulment, which is a declaration that the first marriage was never valid in the first place (either because the person didn't get married in the Church properly, or because he/she didn't properly understand the sacrament, or something like that). If the annulment is granted, the person is free to get "remarried." If the tribunal that reviews the case determines that the first marriage is valid, however, then the person cannot get remarried without committing adultery. Those who are divorced and remarried are thus not allowed to receive Communion, unless the couple agree to live together celibately.

You can see how this presents a serious pastoral problem for the Church. On the one hand, the teaching of Christ that marriages are permanent has certain inescapable implications. On the other hand, Catholics who are divorced and remarried are in a very difficult position.

A cardinal named Cardinal Kasper has thus proposed a relaxing of the discipline that the divorced and remarried are not allowed to receive Communion. What exact form this relaxing might take is up in the air, and many bishops oppose it on the grounds that it doesn't really seem consistent with the Catholic teaching that marriages are indissoluble.

I hope I did a decent job of explaining all that.

Yep. Don't get your hopes up.

I don't think this is really true. Conservative Protestants have grown very close to conservative Catholics politically in the years since deciding to organize around abortion and religious freedom to discriminate. Catholics now provide an intellectual backbone for social conservatism - they have available what look like reasonable arguments against things like gay marriage and abortion that aren't just obviously religious preference or outright bigotry. Protestants, especially evangelicals, tend to lack these in their own traditions because of more of an emphasis on the idea that God's message is accessible to everyone who reads the Bible or similar - they have much less of a tradition of trying to apply reason to faith. It's notable that a huge number of social conservatives who serve as intellectuals in the movement are Catholic, including a bunch of Supreme Court justices, a bunch of the folks at National Review, and leaders of organizations like Maggie Gallagher. Hell, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Megyn Kelly, and a whole bunch more at Fox are all Catholic. Cardinal Timothy Dolan is a frequent guest on various shows as a socially conservative voice of authority. I think probably the recent turning of conservative Protestants against contraception, or at least the right to it, is due to Catholic influence.

Yep. People forget that Christianity, for all its Jewish roots, is Graeco-Roman by culture and that includes a highly rigorous (to the point of hair splitting) tradition of debate and scholarship in the Greek tradition (at least among the clergy). The Protestant Reformation, in part because of its democratising effect on the faith, really weakened this.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Churches are going to vanish either way, Catholic or others. Doesn't matter what the stances are, eventually everyone can tell their books have no more insight to provide us than non-religious people or documents could. There's no place for organizational doctrine in the 21st century.
They said the exact same thing in the early 20th century, lol.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They said the exact same thing in the early 20th century, lol.

And it's becoming increasingly true either way.

On the topic: this is mostly about South America. They are losing massive amounts of converts there. Just in Brasil, 40 years ago 90%+ of the population were catholic, now it's in the low 60%. There are a lot of young mothers raising children on their own in South America so the Catholic position is really not helping them.

20th century didn't have widespread internet though.

The internet isn't curated nearly as well as it ought top be to present a challenge to centuries of history and art built in support of religions, and it would be very difficult to consolidate a substitute for the dogmatic doctrines, philosophically safe answers, social gatherings, goodwill towards the community, etc., that religions provide as institutions in the internet. If anything religions will become more focused on ideological doctrines that are palpable and promote tangible options to real world phenomena, but organizational doctrine isn't ever going to go away.

This won't change the hearts and minds of the old crowd (some of my family are still up in arms about Vatican II), and it'll push more into fringe, traditionalist organizations, but the amount of younger, lapsed Catholics it would probably attract back to the Church will more than make up for it.

It'll be interesting to see how the front line Priests handle this. I seem to recall the clergy embracing, if not strongly pushing for Vatican II, and I wonder how many would be cool to see long standing moral codes flipped upside down.

Hell, many in the Southern US are still young earthers, even though the Church officially supports Evolution.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The internet isn't curated nearly as well as it ought top be to present a challenge to centuries of history and art built in support of religions, and it would be very difficult to consolidate a substitute for dogmatic doctrines, philosophically safe answers, social gatherings, goodwill towards the community, etc., that religions provide as institutions. If anything religions will become more focused on ideological doctrines that are palpable and promote tangible options to real world phenomena, but organizational doctrine isn't ever going to go away.

It's the opposite, people just want to be able to baptize their kids, marry in front of a priest, etc., but they want nothing to do with the doctrine.

This is good. It may just be calculated to get more young people to join the church but I don't see any negatives coming from it. Doesn't matter where you stand on religion it's here and having a figurehead who is progressive and trying to steer his church away from the old ways of thinking is a great.

It's the opposite, people just want to be able to baptize their kids, marry in front of a priest, etc., but they want nothing to do with the doctrine.

That's not an opposite, that a factor i hadn't taken into consideration, which is culture expressing itself through traditions. That doesn't mean that they aren't keen on the doctrines themselves, but that those events have transcended their nature as religious events and have become cultural events, becoming secular in a sense.

People still want doctrines, and in fact they do still group and revel in their beliefs, whether they concern art, politics, socio-economics, human rights, whatever. The divine content of religions might come to deteriorate with time, if it ever will, but the nature of the organization most definitely will adapt itself to contemporary needs rather than simply vanish.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's not an opposite, that a factor i hadn't taken into consideration, which is culture expressing itself through traditions. That doesn't mean that they aren't keen on the doctrines themselves, but that those events have transcended their nature as religious events and have become cultural events, becoming secular in a sense.

People still want doctrines, and in fact they do still group and revel in their beliefs, whether they concern art, politics, socio-economics, human rights, whatever. The divine content of religions might come to deteriorate with time, if it ever will, but the nature of the organization most definitely will adapt itself to contemporary needs rather than simply vanish.

The bigger the organization the slower it will be to adapt, so it will always be losing and increasing number of converts. Look at Brazil, they have been going from catholic to evangelists of which there are countless groups, which fracture into so many groups that they all become ultimately irrelevant. They can't all hold "the truth", and this becomes clear when everyone you know is going to a different church, if at all. Then all that remains are the weddings, the baptism, political activism, etc., not the doctrine.

Soriku

If the divine content/God/hell vanishes, what's the point? The church would turn into nothing but a communal place and perhaps a charity. Which is already possible to have without any religious influence.

What kind of doctrine could they enforce that people would actually want to follow when you can't push heaven or hell?

Soriku

The internet is being used to spread religion.

It's also used to learn about the truth. Chances are through much of the 20th century, you would've been raised in some sort of religious family. The internet is a huge boon to scientific and historical information, and you can casually search for a good amount of it without having to dig for and read books. You can also connect with non-religious people. Pre-internet, your community was likely to be religious, you would have less reason to disbelieve with a relative lack of and ease of access to information, and you would have few places to turn to if you were having doubts.

Religion still has its platform on the internet no doubt, but now it's much more easily possible to get the two sides of the story.

Also, where do you get this information?

No, it's not. The epicenter of religion may be moving, but religious numbers are growing, not waning.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you guys are expecting the Pope to upend everything the Catholic church teaches about marriage, reproductive issues, and sexuality, you are going to be disappointed.

You might expect some softening on certain forms of contraception, but that's about it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's also used to learn about the truth. Chances are through much of the 20th century, you would've been raised in some sort of religious family. The internet is a huge boon to scientific and historical information, and you can casually search for a good amount of it without having to dig for and read books. You can also connect with non-religious people. Pre-internet, your community was likely to be religious, you would have less reason to disbelieve with a relative lack of and ease of access to information, and you would have few places to turn to if you were having doubts.

Religion still has its platform on the internet no doubt, but now it's much more easily possible to get the two sides of the story.

Also, where do you get this information?
You were just as likely to grow up in a strictly atheist household in the 20th century in China, USSR, etc.

With the fall of communism has come the opening of billions of people who were formerly atheist as potential new converts, as religion is quickly growing in China, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_of_religion#Overall_statistics

According to this, atheism grew at an astounding rate during the 20th century, but has since, slowed down drastically.

What tends to happen in these discussions is that people tend to focus too greatly on the West, and forget about the rest of the world.

GamerJM

Banned
I really can't agree with this idea that religion is going to eventually die out, though I guess as someone who is religious it's hard for me to adequately argue that without being biased. But like, even looking at things from a secular viewpoint, I feel like some people will always believe in some spiritual or divine beings in some form, even if there isn't any cold, hard scientific evidence of it. And I find it hard to believe that there will come a time when people stop creating sets of beliefs and practices around that supernatural being they believe exists.

I've taken religious studies classes, an explanation I read in a book I read for one (I can't remember who wrote it so I can't attribute it to him) that makes sense to me is that religion is basically like a good that churches sell to people. People buy into religion when the demand for it is there because situations in the lives of people and the world around them cause them to want to buy into some sort of religious dogma. It's difficult for me to believe that the demand for religious dogma will ever reach literally zero.

Soriku

You were just as likely to grow up in a strictly atheist household in the 20th century in China, USSR, etc.

With the fall of communism has come the opening of billions of people who were formerly atheist as potential new converts, as religion is quickly growing in China, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_of_religion#Overall_statistics

According to this, atheism grew at an astounding rate during the 20th century, but has since, slowed down drastically.

What tends to happen in these discussions is that people tend to focus too greatly on the West, and forget about the rest of the world.

In China it is likely you would've been born in Buddhism, Confucianism, Taosim, or the folk religions. In the USSR, sure. America, Europe, the Middle East, and other regions would've been more religious though.

I question that there were billions of atheists before Communism fell.

All religious/nonreligious labels have grown in general since the population also grew a lot in the 20th century. The internet is relatively new. I definitely don't see religion disappearing in the 21st century, but I wonder how it'll look like 100 years from now, 200, 300, etc.

I really can't agree with this idea that religion is going to eventually die out, though I guess as someone who is religious it's hard for me to adequately argue that without being biased. But like, even looking at things from a secular viewpoint, I feel like some people will always believe in some spiritual or divine beings in some form, even if there isn't any cold, hard scientific evidence of it. And I find it hard to believe that there will come a time when people stop creating sets of beliefs and practices around that supernatural being they believe exists.

I've taken religious studies classes, an explanation I read in a book I read for one (I can't remember who wrote it so I can't attribute it to him) that makes sense to me is that religion is basically like a good that churches sell to people. People buy into religion when the demand for it is there because situations in the lives of people and the world around them cause them to want to buy into some sort of religious dogma. It's difficult for me to believe that the demand for religious dogma will ever reach literally zero.

The dogma will never reach "literally zero". There's always going to be someone who follows it. But it can be diminished far enough that many or most don't adhere to it, and even the ones that do, aren't conservative. Possibly within a few centuries.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
In China it is likely you would've been born in Buddhism, Confucianism, Taosim, or the folk religions. In the USSR, sure. America, Europe, the Middle East, and other regions would've been more religious though.

I question that there were billions of atheists before Communism fell..
Dude, what? There was instituted atheism in China.

Mariolee

What do you mean nobody has been talking about this? I think I even brought this up in the last Pope Francis thread.

Edit: Oh, it's a formal synod. Never mind, I don't think it's ever been focused or as organized as in this instance. Carry on. Big things may be happening.

Edit 2: ...or not.

If you guys are expecting the Pope to upend everything the Catholic church teaches about marriage, reproductive issues, and sexuality, you are going to be disappointed.

You might expect some softening on certain forms of contraception, but that's about it.
Even a slight change of policy vis-a-vis the use of condoms would do a lot to advance the fight against HIV and empower people to raise their children's standard of living by helping limit family size.

kess

Christianity is waning in Europe and most places where it's more liberal on social issues. People don't go to church to learn about sexual liberation and play ballads with a guitar, they expect firm principles and guidance in a rapidly-changing world. See how Christianity is still going strong in more conservative places, e.g. Africa and how Islam is the fastest-growing religion.

Many of those principles are hideously backwards. I think a more interesting tangent is what would have happened without Vatican II.

GamerJM

Banned
The dogma will never reach "literally zero". There's always going to be someone who follows it. But it can be diminished far enough that most many don't adhere to it, and even the ones that do, aren't conservative. Possibly within a few centuries.

I guess this makes more sense, but I still don't completely buy it. I do think we'll eventually reach a point where the conservative ideologies born from religion are basically dead, and followers of religion will essentially interpret their faith to the point where any politically conservatism that could be related to religion no longer exists and is ignored.

Dead Man

Even a slight change of policy vis-a-vis the use of condoms would do a lot to advance the fight against HIV and empower people to raise their children's standard of living by helping limit family size.

Yeah, it wouldn't take much, even just a reduction in opposing their use by other groups would help.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zero will change. At most they may revise some of the language in which they couch their teaching on some of these issues, but the core teaching will remain. From what I've read, this synod is about figuring out why there's such a disconnect between Catholic teaching and the lives and practice of so many who identify as Catholic - but any bridging of the gap will be about massaging the message to attempt to bring the latter closer to the former, and not vice versa.

Not that a change to some of the language wouldn't be welcome mind you (the language used around homosexuality in humane vitae is horrid). But I don't see any core changes to teaching.

(And come to think of it, this would be rather fitting. Francis, tbph, has sofar been a nicer PR gloss for the Church and nothing more.)

Miles X

I wonder if it has to do with this.

tl;dr church attendance rate is dropping hard, especially with youngsters/young women. It's just old people now.

It has everything to do with that. They know if they carried on as they were (as with most religion in the western world (aside from Islam and some others I'm sure) that numbers would eventually get so low they would become insignificant. Already happening in the UK.

It's all disingenious to me and people should think very hard about all the shady stuff that goes on within the Vatican before clapping for this guy.

Chariot

He's become a politician. Saying what the public wants to hear while not doing much.
The words of the pope have more worth than the words of some politican even without action. There are thousands, maybe millions of people worldwide who value his opiniom and the very least its a point where open discussion can begin within the church.

And again: its already a lot more than the last popes did for the world. He don't have to please people, he don't have to be re-elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom