• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/big_business_/status/594959134128152576

xZQ0CVn.gif

Frodo

TtLRQs4.gif
the way she tries to dramatically rip off the page and doesn't manage to do it properly
TtLRQs4.gif

"no matter how many times he dsnfkj - - dfbh BEGS you to"
TtLRQs4.gif

She is not trying to rip off the page. She literally does that to every single page she read.

And where have you guys been? We were talking about this yesterday.

She also says she listens to Grimes, which was my favourite part of the whole thing.

She is not trying to rip off the page. She literally does that to every single page she read.

And where have you guys been? We were talking about this yesterday.

She also says she listens to Grimes, which was my favourite part of the whole thing.
I know but it's still dramatic
Why does she need to throw the pages behind her? Why not lift it off and put it to the side, instead of dramatically throwing it behind her?

Frodo

Why does she need to throw the pages behind her? Why not lift it off and put it to the side, instead of dramatically throwing it behind her?

Why does Lady Gaga have to wear a meat dress? Why not just wear normal clothes, instead of wearing those impractical costumes?

Answer is: we will never know.

M79brCL.gif

Bitch, she's Madonna.

She still knows what's up with the youth of today. And the youth of today dramatically toss pages behind themselves because they don't even give a fuck. #fucktheman

It's fifteen years since Britney's sophomore album 'Oops...I Did It Again' was released* and became one of the biggest selling albums of that decade.

I would say it's also the album with her most iconic imagery and music videos.

Whether it was wearing a red leather catsuit and iconic choreography in 'Oops...I Did It Again'.

tumblr_m13cakVxbN1r3ty02o1_500.gif

Or when she was telling us a story about a girl named Lucky...

tumblr_muvxquz1Pd1r3ty02o1_r1_500.gif

Battling a chair in Stronger

tumblr_lmuffp134p1qan89io1_500.gif

And just looking damn hot in DLMBTLTK

tumblr_ltr51nZ3ZB1r3ty02o1_500.gif

The album also contains some underrated gems such as

What U See (Is What U Get) and Can't Make You Love Me (I'm also a fan of Where Are You Now).

She truly was the perfect pop princess back in the days when pop was unashamedly pop!

lust

in Japan

You're perfect and so is this post thank you for baptizing the filth from the past few pages

Why does Lady Gaga have to wear a meat dress? Why not just wear normal clothes, instead of wearing those impractical costumes?

Answer is: we will never know.

M79brCL.gif
"If we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights, pretty soon we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones."
There's ha reasoning
p1BKnc9.gif

Y'all drag it now but in 2046 when we're all getting our lives from ARTPOP ACT 5 while visiting a friend in our own VOLANTIS I will remember this and quote you all in POPGAF |OT-XIII-3| RUDE RETURNS.

That was called off due to the Virgin Galactic crash.

Y'all drag it now but in 2046 when we're all getting our lives from ARTPOP ACT 5 while visiting a friend in our own VOLANTIS I will remember this and quote you all in POPGAF |OT-XIII-3| RUDE RETURNS.

I'll be perched for Gaga's retirement home tour.

royalan

The meat dress was the thing that killed Gaga's career.

There was a collective groan heard around the world that day, as though there had been millions of voices who used to give a shit, then were suddenly silenced...

The meat dress was the thing that killed Gaga's career.

There was a collective groan heard around the world that day, as though there had been millions of voices who used to give a shit, then were suddenly silenced...
Killed ha career by making her next album platinum in the first week rite

royalan

Killed ha career by making her next album platinum in the first week rite

Exactly. :)

The meat dress was the moment where Gaga stopped gaining "cultural capital". BTW was the moment where she spent all that she had gained.

How else do you explain the cataclysmic fall between BTW and ARTPOP, and in such short a time? People like to say that Gaga did something during the BTW era to get the GP to turn their backs on her but, really, whatever she did had to have happened much earlier than that.

Frodo

I kind of agree with royalan in this one.

The meat dress was super iconic, but I feel it was when people finally said "well, now I've seen everything", and became less interested in her.

PInk Tape

Banned
It's fifteen years since Britney's sophomore album 'Oops...I Did It Again' was released* and became one of the biggest selling albums of that decade.

I would say it's also the album with her most iconic imagery and music videos.

Whether it was wearing a red leather catsuit and iconic choreography in 'Oops...I Did It Again'.

tumblr_m13cakVxbN1r3ty02o1_500.gif

Or when she was telling us a story about a girl named Lucky...

tumblr_muvxquz1Pd1r3ty02o1_r1_500.gif

Battling a chair in Stronger

tumblr_lmuffp134p1qan89io1_500.gif

And just looking damn hot in DLMBTLTK

tumblr_ltr51nZ3ZB1r3ty02o1_500.gif

The album also contains some underrated gems such as

What U See (Is What U Get) and Can't Make You Love Me (I'm also a fan of Where Are You Now).

She truly was the perfect pop princess back in the days when pop was unashamedly pop!

lust

in Japan

One of my most favorite albums ever 😍

I should give it a relisten.

I'm going to disagree with you there. The BTW > ARTPOP decline has far more to do with marketing and quality than anything else.

People have this mentality of Gaga being right at the top of the charts throughout The Fame through BTW, but that never happened. Iirc she's had three #1 songs, Bad Romance (which many would consider her most well known) not even among them.

With BTW, Gaga and her then manager agreed to make BTW what they perceived to be the biggest album possible. They've both discussed it in detail, but basically, Gaga's manager told her that if she delayed the album and did exactly what he told her to do that he could give her a multimillion selling album, which is what they achieved. BTW required months of planning and extensive marketing - the marketing being a particularly big part of its success. Gaga was at the Grammys, there were billboards in Times Square, the VMA appearance, the CONSTANT promo on TV between the single and album launch - there were even fucking textured seats on the NY subway with Gaga's face on them and the album date.

BTW was a result of extensive marketing based around the face of the world's then-most talked about celebrity. Of course she could never reach that peak again. Look at Katy - someone who had consistent #1s throughout the Teenage Dream era has had incredibly hit and miss performance with her PRISM singles, because she's not the "new thing" anymore. You can quote me on this but I suspect Katy's next album cycle will perform even worse, just like Gaga's.

The meat dress was never a watershed moment. The thing that stopped ARTPOP from being as big as BTW was both the GP's general awareness of Gaga (massively diminished due to her not being "it" anymore) and the massive lack of promo.

Considering Gaga has won a Grammy this year (her 6th), snatched up the #1 spot for both albums since BTW and embarked on a multi million dollar world tour both this year and last, I think her career is FAR from over. Is it at BTW heights? No. Will it ever be again? No. But it's far from dead.

royalan

I'm going to disagree with you there. The BTW > ARTPOP decline has far more to do with marketing and quality than anything else.

People have this mentality of Gaga being right at the top of the charts throughout The Fame through BTW, but that never happened. Iirc she's had three #1 songs, Bad Romance (which many would consider her most well known) not even among them.

With BTW, Gaga and her then manager agreed to make BTW what they perceived to be the biggest album possible. They've both discussed it in detail, but basically, Gaga's manager told her that if she delayed the album and did exactly what he told her to do that he could give her a multimillion selling album, which is what they achieved. BTW required months of planning and extensive marketing - the marketing being a particularly big part of its success. Gaga was at the Grammys, there were billboards in Times Square, the VMA appearance, the CONSTANT promo on TV between the single and album launch - there were even fucking textured seats on the NY subway with Gaga's face on them and the album date.

BTW was a result of extensive marketing based around the face of the world's then-most talked about celebrity. Of course she could never reach that peak again. Look at Katy - someone who had consistent #1s throughout the Teenage Dream era has had incredibly hit and miss performance with her PRISM singles, because she's not the "new thing" anymore. You can quote me on this but I suspect Katy's next album cycle will perform even worse, just like Gaga's.

The meat dress was never a watershed moment. The thing that stopped ARTPOP from being as big as BTW was both the GP's general awareness of Gaga (massively diminished due to her not being "it" anymore) and the massive lack of promo.

Considering Gaga has won a Grammy this year (her 6th), snatched up the #1 spot for both albums since BTW and embarked on a multi million dollar world tour both this year and last, I think her career is FAR from over. Is it at BTW heights? No. Will it ever be again? No. But it's far from dead.

I agree with you about BTW's numbers being inflated by unprecedented marketing of that album (we've only really seen promo that massive with Taylor ever since...). But I don't agree that ARTPOP was a natural decline, especially since the era did get a lot of good early promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom